|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dance do Felipe and Aura dance together in Chapter 4?
2. What noise does Felipe hear when he is finishing shaving at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. How old was the General when he died?
4. Where was the General exiled, according to Chapter 3?
5. What does Felipe use to brush off his shoes when he gets ready in the morning in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Felipe see Consuelo doing when he peeks in at her after leaving her room in Chapter 3?
2. What is Felipe afraid of when he locks himself in his room in Chapter 4? Why?
3. How does Consuelo react when Felipe starts to give his opinion on the first bundle of manuscript pages?
4. What is different about Aura when Felipe goes to her in Chapter 4? Why?
5. What disturbs Felipe about himself while he eats dinner alone in Chapter 4?
6. What is the significance of the wafer Aura gives Felipe in Chapter 4?
7. What is significant about Aura washing Felipe’s feet in Chapter 4?
8. What is significant about the waltz Felipe and Aura dance together in Chapter 4?
9. What does Felipe realize about the herbs that Aura is growing on the dark patio in Chapter 4?
10. Describe the scene that leads to Felipe’s realization that Aura and Consuelo are connected.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define perspective. How is it used in literature? How is it identified? How does Felipe’s perspective change as the story progresses? How does this affect his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how stories are categorized by word length. What are the common categories and their word counts? How is Aura categorized? How do these categories impact a reader’s experience of a story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief literary analysis and critique of Aura.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)