|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Conseulo set outside her bedroom door before breakfast in Chapter 3?
2. What does Felipe find at his dinner setting in Chapter 4?
3. What animal does Felipe determine is making the strange noise he hears in Chapter 3?
4. What herb is Aura growing that has heart-shaped leaves?
5. What does Felipe do when he hears the bell for supper in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream Felipe has in Chapter 4.
2. What is strange about the lunch Felipe shares with Aura and Consuelo in Chapter 3?
3. What does Felipe think of the General’s manuscript, according to the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What disturbs Felipe about himself while he eats dinner alone in Chapter 4?
5. Describe Felipe’s dream in Chapter 3.
6. How does Consuelo react when Felipe starts to give his opinion on the first bundle of manuscript pages?
7. What does Felipe see Consuelo doing when he peeks in at her after leaving her room in Chapter 3?
8. What is unusual about Aura and Consuelo’s departure from Aura’s room at the end of Chapter 4?
9. How does the narrator describe Aura’s ringing of the black bell in Chapter 3?
10. What is the significance of the wafer Aura gives Felipe in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define suspense. How is it used in literature? How is it identified? Provide at least two examples of suspense in Aura. How are these examples resolved by the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the changes that occur in Aura as the story progresses. How does she change? Why does she change? What does this reveal about her?
Essay Topic 3
Define symbolism. How is it used in literature? How is it identified? Identify and explain at least two symbols found in Aura.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)