|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do “they” want us to be alone, according to Chapter 3?
(a) It is the only way to move forward.
(b) It is the only way to truly understand ourselves.
(c) It is the only way to offer true penance.
(d) It is the only way to achieve saintliness.
2. How does Felipe hold the item he finds at his dinner setting in Chapter 4?
(a) In both hands.
(b) He doesn’t; he is afraid to touch it.
(c) In his left hand.
(d) In his right hand.
3. What dance do Felipe and Aura dance together in Chapter 4?
(a) A pas de deux.
(b) A quick-step.
(c) A foxtrot.
(d) A waltz.
4. How old was the General at the time of the French invasion, according to Chapter 3?
5. Where does Felipe find Aura at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) The kitchen.
(b) Her room.
(c) The dining room.
(d) Consuelo’s room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Felipe try to go back to sleep on his first morning at Consuelo’s house?
2. Where does Consuelo sit when Felipe wakes up after making love with Aura in Chapter 4?
3. What does Conseulo set outside her bedroom door before breakfast in Chapter 3?
4. Who does Felipe see crawling toward him at the beginning of his dream in Chapter 4?
5. What does Consuelo say about solitude in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that leads to Felipe’s realization that Aura and Consuelo are connected.
2. What is different about Aura when Felipe goes to her in Chapter 4? Why?
3. What is Aura doing while she helps Consuelo back to her room in Chapter 3?
4. Why does Felipe want to extend his stay at Consuelo’s house? What does he want to do with his earnings?
5. What does Felipe see Consuelo doing when he peeks in at her after leaving her room in Chapter 3?
6. What is significant about the waltz Felipe and Aura dance together in Chapter 4?
7. How does Consuelo react when Felipe starts to give his opinion on the first bundle of manuscript pages?
8. What is significant about Aura washing Felipe’s feet in Chapter 4?
9. What does Felipe think Aura’s role is?
10. How does the narrator describe Aura’s ringing of the black bell in Chapter 3?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)