|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal is Aura butchering when Felipe finds her at the beginning of Chapter 4?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A pig.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A goat.
2. Where do Aura and Consuelo go when they leave Aura’s room in Chapter 4?
(a) Felipe’s room.
(b) Consuelo’s room.
(c) The patio.
(d) The kitchen.
3. Where does Aura sit when Felipe wakes up after they make love in Chapter 4?
(a) At Consuelo’s feet.
(b) At the foot of the enormous black Christ.
(c) At the top of the staircase.
(d) At his feet.
4. What does Felipe find at his dinner setting in Chapter 4?
(a) A rag doll.
(b) A letter from Aura.
(c) A lock of silver hair tied with black ribbon.
(d) A small crucifix.
5. How does the author indicate Felipe’s memory at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Bold text.
(b) Underlined text.
(c) Italic text.
(d) Text in quotations.
6. What does Felipe suspect about Aura at the end of breakfast in Chapter 3?
(a) She has some sort of power over Consuelo.
(b) She is the servant.
(c) She is being kept against her will.
(d) She is keeping Consuelo against her will.
7. What does Aura do with the object she rubs on her thighs in Chapter 4?
(a) Gives half of it to Felipe.
(b) Tears it into small pieces.
(c) Swallows it.
(d) Wraps it around her shoulders.
8. What herb is Aura growing that has heart-shaped leaves?
(b) Witch’s root.
(d) White sage.
9. Where does Felipe determine the strange noise he hears in Chapter 3 is coming from?
(b) On the patio.
(c) He is unable to determine where it is coming from.
(d) In the hallway.
10. What dance do Felipe and Aura dance together in Chapter 4?
(a) A waltz.
(b) A foxtrot.
(c) A pas de deux.
(d) A quick-step.
11. What is served for lunch in Chapter 3?
(b) Beans on toast.
12. Why do “they” want us to be alone, according to Chapter 3?
(a) It is the only way to truly understand ourselves.
(b) It is the only way to achieve saintliness.
(c) It is the only way to offer true penance.
(d) It is the only way to move forward.
13. What is Felipe going to ask about at lunch in Chapter 3 while Consuelo is complaining to Aura?
(a) Aura’s parents.
(b) The side garden.
(c) The servant.
(d) The General.
14. What does Conseulo set outside her bedroom door before breakfast in Chapter 3?
(a) A letter to be sent.
(b) Her breakfast tray.
(c) Her chamber pot.
15. What is wrong with the animals Felipe sees making the strange noise he hears in Chapter 3?
(a) They are on fire.
(b) They are eating each other.
(c) They are transforming into a strange mist.
(d) They are staring at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the ink in the General’s manuscripts, according to Chapter 3?
2. How many places are set at breakfast in Chapter 3?
3. What does Aura ask Felipe as they make love in Chapter 4?
4. What time does Felipe wake up his first morning at Consuelo’s house?
5. Where is Felipe at the end of Chapter 4?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)