|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Felipe see at the bottom of the stairs that causes him to pause in Chapter 2?
(a) Yellow eyes.
(b) Green eyes.
(c) Silver eyes.
(d) Red eyes.
2. What color is the rug in Felipe’s room?
(b) There is no rug in Felipe’s room.
3. Where does Felipe’s ash fall at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Onto his pant leg.
(b) Onto his croissant.
(c) Onto the advertisement.
(d) Into his cup of tea.
4. What does Felipe use to see his way to the old woman’s room after supper in Chapter 2?
(a) A flashlight.
(b) His fingertips.
(c) A candelabra.
(d) An oil lamp.
5. What is on the first serving platter Aura uncovers at Felipe’s first supper at the house?
(a) Liver and onions.
(b) Beans and rice.
(d) Broiled tomatoes.
6. What material is the knocker on the door when Felipe goes to apply for the job?
7. What covers the old woman’s bed?
(b) Bits of seeds.
(d) Letters and photographs.
8. Where does Felipe search for light when he goes into the house to apply for the job?
(a) On the wall.
(b) His coat pocket.
(c) In the dark air ahead of him.
(d) On the nearby table.
9. What religion is represented in the old woman’s room where she is kneeling in Chapter 2?
10. What is the name of the street Felipe is on to apply for the job?
11. What is on the second serving platter Aura uncovers at Felipe’s first supper at the house?
(a) Beans and rice.
(b) Liver and onions.
(d) Broiled tomatoes.
12. What does Felipe hear when he approaches Aura when it is time for supper in Chapter 2?
(a) The wind.
(b) A woman crying.
(c) A dog barking.
(d) Yowling cats.
13. What does Felipe keep under his left arm while he is riding after leaving the café in Chapter 1?
(a) His briefcase.
(b) His billfold.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The advertisement.
14. Who or what is beside Felipe at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) A man.
(b) A girl.
(c) The rabbit.
(d) A dais.
15. What causes the old woman to collapse while she is kneeling in Chapter 2?
(a) The overwhelming aroma of incense.
(b) Smoke from her candles.
(c) A coughing fit.
(d) The fright of Felipe sneaking up behind her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old woman do when Aura nods to Felipe?
2. According to Aura in Chapter 2, who has gone for Felipe’s belongings?
3. How long ago did Llorente die, according to Chapter 1?
4. Why is Felipe unable to leave his door open to let the lamplight guide him back downstairs in Chapter 2?
5. What is the old woman’s name?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)