|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did August: Osage County win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama?
2. Where does Barbara say her husband and daughter have gone in Act 3, Scene 4?
3. How long does Bill tell Barbara she has "left to fight and make up" with Jean in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. How old does Jean claim to be when she is talking with Steve in Act 2?
5. Whose cell phone rings during grace at the dinner table in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Barbara's comment "I'm still here" in Act 3?
2. What is the predominant theme in Act 3, Scene 1?
3. What is the significance of the house's temperature in Act 2?
4. What is revealed of Beverly's death in Act 3, Scene 5?
5. How does irony apply to Violet's character in August: Osage County?
6. How does Johnna respond to Barbara when they discuss Johnna's employment in Act 3, Scene 3?
7. What is revealed in Violet's description of her mother in Act 2?
8. What secret does Mattie Fae reveal to Barbara in Act 3, Scene 1?
9. How would you describe the character of Steve when he is introduced in Act 2?
10. What leads up to the physical conflict in the end of Act 2? How is this conflict described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of August: Osage County. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition to rising action? Where does the climax occur? What information is revealed in the falling action and denouement of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Karen's relationship with Steve in August: Osage County. How would you compare Karen's relationship with those of her sisters? How old is Kevin? What conflicts occur in the narrative that present complications for this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Barbara and Bill in August: Osage County. What has led to their separation? Why has Bill accompanied Barbara to see her family? How does the relationship between these characters evolve in the course of the play?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)