|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the youngest of Beverly and Violet's children?
2. From what Native American tribe did Johnna descend?
3. What does Jean offer Johnna when she visits her in her room in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Who is the author of the book that Johnna is reading in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What is Charlie's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the references to Barbara's career in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What is significant about the conversation between Ivy and Violet in the beginning of Act 2?
3. What is significant about the reference to the safety deposit box in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What literary allusions does Beverly Weston make in the play's Prologue?
5. What is the most important plot element that is revealed in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. What is the significance of Jean's partaking of marijuana in Act 1, Scene 2?
7. What theme is introduced in Act 1, Scene 1 of August: Osage County?
8. Where does the second climax occur in Act 1, Scene 4?
9. How would you compare Barbara to Violet in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. How would you describe the conflicts between Barbara and Violet in Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of addiction in August: Osage County. What characters display tendencies toward addiction? What has led to these tendencies? How is the struggle of addiction dealt with in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family responsibility in the play. How does this theme manifest itself through the major characters in the story? What characters have lacked or are lacking in their sense of responsibility for others? What symbolism relates to this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Beverly Weston in the play. How old is Beverly? What was his claim to fame? What do Beverly's actions in the narrative reveal about his character and situation?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)