|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mouret say about Denise's termination?
2. Who is the owner of Au Bonheur des Dames?
3. On whom does Denise develop a crush?
4. What is Mouret's best business skill?
5. On what day of the week does Madame Desforge hold her teas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
2. What is the main theme in Chapter 10?
3. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
4. Why is Denise proof that Mouret's money will not buy him everything he wants?
5. What does Denise tell her Uncle Baudu about why she and her brothers have come to Paris?
6. Where does Denise think that her relationship with Mouret will lead?
7. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
8. How does Denise indirectly change the work lives of the store employees?
9. How does the relationship between Denise and Mouret evolve in Chapter 7?
10. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Create a brief character study of Mouret. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2Refusing to be bought is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters refuse to give in or be bought by someone else.
Essay Topic 3Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)