|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the atmosphere of the ladies' wear department while Denise waits for an interview?
2. Denise is criticized for her big dress and _______________.
3. What happens at the store during the summer?
4. Where do Denise and her brothers come from?
5. What is Madame Desforges hosting at the beginning of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
2. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
3. What does Madame Desforges host for Mouret's benefit?
4. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
5. Who is Mouret intent on meeting at Madame Desforges' tea and why is this meeting important to him?
6. What is the irony of Baudu's position on balancing money and family life?
7. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
8. Who are some of the women at Madame Desforges' tea and what is revealed about their shopping habits?
9. What are Mouret's expansion plans?
10. What are some of Mouret's business practices that have made him successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Refusing to be bought is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters refuse to give in or be bought by someone else.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mouret. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)