|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mouret's right-hand man?
2. Where is Denise when she sees Mouret again?
3. Which of the following is NOT imagery presented in this chapter?
4. Who is Pauline's boyfriend?
5. What role does Mouret assume in the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the conflict going on in departments of the store.
2. What is the main theme in Chapter 10?
3. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
4. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
5. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
6. What are Bourdoncle's business philosophies that are in sharp contrast to Mouret's?
7. Where does Denise think that her relationship with Mouret will lead?
8. How does Mouret exploit women to achieve his goals?
9. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
10. Why can Baudu no longer honor the offer he had made to Denise a year ago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Refusing to be bought is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters refuse to give in or be bought by someone else.
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)