|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what event is Au Bonheur des Dames prepared at the beginning of Chapter 4?
2. How much money does Denise borrow from Pauline?
3. Where do Denise and her brothers go to find a new life?
4. From whom does Denise hope to get help?
5. Who are Denise's brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Denise conflicted about falling in love with Mouret?
2. Why does Denise end up leaving the store when she could have anything she wanted?
3. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
4. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
5. Who are some of the women at Madame Desforges' tea and what is revealed about their shopping habits?
6. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
7. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
8. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
9. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
10. Explain the imagery of comparing the store to a church or temple.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of symbolism in this story regarding the expansion of Au Bonheur des Dames. What does the growth of the store symbolize for those who work there? For the neighborhood shop owners? For the retail industry in general? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Madame Desforges. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What does the author mean by calling the book AU BONHEUR DES DAMES? Cite an example to support your answer. Can you suggest another title which you think is more appropriate for the book?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)