|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Pauline's boyfriend?
2. Who befriends Denise at the store?
3. How does Mouret entice the ladies to shop at Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. The silk department employees wish that ____________ would not come back from holiday.
5. Which of the following does Bourras NOT bring Denise when Pepe gets sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mouret exploit women to achieve his goals?
2. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
3. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
4. How does Denise get what she wants on her terms at the end of the book?
5. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
6. What are Denise's feelings as she begins work at Au Bonheur des Dames?
7. Why does Denise's rejection of Mouret's advances leave him confused?
8. What does Denise tell her Uncle Baudu about why she and her brothers have come to Paris?
9. What is the irony of Baudu's position on balancing money and family life?
10. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mouret and Baudu. What are their roles within the retail industry in Paris? What are their core values? What are they willing (or not) to do in order to succeed?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Refusing to be bought is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters refuse to give in or be bought by someone else.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)