|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madame Aurelie not let Denise sell to a customer?
2. Who is Paul Vallagnosc?
3. Robineau mentions an opening in the ____________ department at Au Bonheur des Dames.
4. What is the name of the store that is creating competition for other stores?
5. Who is Pauline's boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the story of AU BONHEUR DES DAMES.
2. What is the symbolism of Genevieve's death?
3. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
4. Why is Denise proof that Mouret's money will not buy him everything he wants?
5. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
6. What is the main theme in Chapter 10?
7. How are the neighborhood stores faring in comparing to the big department store?
8. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
9. Why is Denise so apprehensive about Jouve?
10. What are Mouret's expansion plans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Madame Desforges. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)