|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does Vincard have?
2. For what event is Au Bonheur des Dames prepared at the beginning of Chapter 4?
3. From whom does Denise rent a room?
4. For what department is Bouthemont the buyer?
5. Why is Bourras angry at Mouret?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mouret and why is Uncle Baudu so angry at him?
2. Who are some of the women at Madame Desforges' tea and what is revealed about their shopping habits?
3. What is the burgeoning awareness between Mouret and Denise?
4. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
5. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
6. How does Denise get what she wants on her terms at the end of the book?
7. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
8. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
9. What is the symbolism of the store blocking the sun from the surrounding neighborhoods?
10. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mouret and Baudu. What are their roles within the retail industry in Paris? What are their core values? What are they willing (or not) to do in order to succeed?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)