|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most charming salesperson in the silk department?
2. Who is the man who is seen in the basement with Denise?
3. What is a prominent theme in Chapter 7?
4. If the store is a big machine, Denise feels like ___________.
5. How long has Denise been working at the store at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mouret's money and power agitate Denise?
2. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
3. What is the burgeoning awareness between Mouret and Denise?
4. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
5. Why is Denise so apprehensive about Jouve?
6. Why is Denise conflicted about falling in love with Mouret?
7. Who is Mouret and why is Uncle Baudu so angry at him?
8. Where does Denise think that her relationship with Mouret will lead?
9. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
10. What does the color white symbolize in Chapter 14?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mouret and Baudu. What are their roles within the retail industry in Paris? What are their core values? What are they willing (or not) to do in order to succeed?
Essay Topic 3
Zola is quoted as saying, "I am little concerned with beauty or perfection. I don't care for the great centuries. All I care about is life, struggle, intensity. I am at ease in my generation," (My Hates, 1866.) How is this philosophy apparent in AU BONHEUR DES DAMES?
This section contains 1,493 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)