|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Robineau try to help Denise?
2. Why is Denise attracted to Hutin?
3. Where is Denise when she sees Mouret again?
4. Where do Denise and her brothers come from?
5. Who befriends Denise at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Denise and Mouret evolve in Chapter 7?
2. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
3. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
4. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
5. What does Denise tell her Uncle Baudu about why she and her brothers have come to Paris?
6. What realization does Robineau come to regarding Denise's opinion on why large stores are so successful?
7. Why is Denise so apprehensive about Jouve?
8. Where does Denise think that her relationship with Mouret will lead?
9. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
10. What is more important to Denise than the loss of her job when she is terminated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
Zola is quoted as saying, "I am little concerned with beauty or perfection. I don't care for the great centuries. All I care about is life, struggle, intensity. I am at ease in my generation," (My Hates, 1866.) How is this philosophy apparent in AU BONHEUR DES DAMES?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)