|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mouret wants to partner with Baron Hartmann to ___________________.
2. Where do Denise and her brothers go to find a new life?
3. What does Denise do after her dismissal from Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. Why does Jouve try to get Denise fired?
5. Why does Madame Aurelie plan to give Denise the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
2. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
3. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
4. Who is Mouret and why is Uncle Baudu so angry at him?
5. What does Madame Desforges host for Mouret's benefit?
6. What does Denise tell her Uncle Baudu about why she and her brothers have come to Paris?
7. Why does Denise end up leaving the store when she could have anything she wanted?
8. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
9. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
10. How does Mouret exploit women to achieve his goals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Denise, Mouret, Madame Desforges, and Baudu. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mouret. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)