|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the dressmaker being discussed by all the ladies?
2. Why does Mouret hope to meet Baron Hartmann?
3. How much money does Denise borrow from Pauline?
4. Which of the following is NOT imagery presented in this chapter?
5. Which of the following is NOT a salesgirl in the ladies department?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madame Desforges host for Mouret's benefit?
2. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
3. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
4. What are Mouret's expansion plans?
5. How does Denise indirectly change the work lives of the store employees?
6. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
7. What is more important to Denise than the loss of her job when she is terminated?
8. Why is Denise so apprehensive about Jouve?
9. What is the symbolism of the store blocking the sun from the surrounding neighborhoods?
10. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Refusing to be bought is an important theme in the story. Cite at least three examples of how the characters refuse to give in or be bought by someone else.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Madame Desforges. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)