|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs in the reception area during the morning inspection?
2. What happens at the store during the summer?
3. At which of the following stores does Madame Desforges NOT buy her clothes?
4. Why is Denise so endearing to Mouret?
5. What is Denise's constant worry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
2. Who is Mouret intent on meeting at Madame Desforges' tea and why is this meeting important to him?
3. Describe some of the conflict going on in departments of the store.
4. What is the irony of Baudu's position on balancing money and family life?
5. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
6. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
7. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
8. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
9. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
10. Why is Denise proof that Mouret's money will not buy him everything he wants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Baudu. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,494 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)