|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who declares his love for Denise despite the fact that she only wants to be friends with him?
2. How does Mouret entice the ladies to shop at Au Bonheur des Dames?
3. What does Robineau reveal about the coat whose quality a customer complains?
4. What occurs in the reception area during the morning inspection?
5. What does Denise do after her dismissal from Au Bonheur des Dames?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
2. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
3. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. How does Mouret exploit women to achieve his goals?
5. What is Denise's demeanor during this difficult time at the store?
6. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
7. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
8. How does Denise get what she wants on her terms at the end of the book?
9. What is the burgeoning awareness between Mouret and Denise?
10. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES takes place in Paris in the late 1800s. Explain what is going on in Paris at this time that makes Zola decide to write this story in this setting.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mouret. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)