|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what product does Mouret stake the store's future?
2. Who is the young man who made a serious delivery error the previous day?
3. On what do Gaujean and Robineau plan to challenge Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Au Bonheur des Dames?
5. Which of the following is NOT imagery presented in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Denise's internal conflict related to her burgeoning feelings for Mouret.
2. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
3. What is the symbolism of Genevieve's death?
4. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
5. What are some of Mouret's business practices that have made him successful?
6. What are Mouret's expansion plans?
7. What does the color white symbolize in Chapter 14?
8. How are the neighborhood stores faring in comparing to the big department store?
9. Why can Baudu no longer honor the offer he had made to Denise a year ago?
10. What does Denise tell her Uncle Baudu about why she and her brothers have come to Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Madame Baudu's wanting the windows opened as she lay dying. What is the symbolism of Baudu's store being draped in white after her death? Identify one other example of symbolism that you find notable.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mouret and Baudu. What are their roles within the retail industry in Paris? What are their core values? What are they willing (or not) to do in order to succeed?
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)