|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the other tenants living in the house with Denise?
2. Where do Denise and her brothers come from?
3. Why is Bourras angry at Mouret?
4. What position does Albert's father, Lhomme, have at the store?
5. Which of the following does Bourras NOT bring Denise when Pepe gets sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Baudu's position on balancing money and family life?
2. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
3. What does the color white symbolize in Chapter 14?
4. What is the main theme in Chapter 10?
5. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
6. Who is Mouret and why is Uncle Baudu so angry at him?
7. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
8. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
9. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
10. Why does Mouret's money and power agitate Denise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Baudu. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)