Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the inspector who hopes for sexual favors from Denise?
2. What does Robineau reveal about the coat whose quality a customer complains?
3. Which of the following is NOT imagery presented in this chapter?
4. What is the name of Uncle Baudu's daughter?
5. From whom does Denise rent a room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the color white symbolize in Chapter 14?
2. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
3. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
4. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
5. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
6. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
7. What surprises Mouret about Denise's love for him?
8. Summarize the story of AU BONHEUR DES DAMES.
9. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
10. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of symbolism in this story regarding the expansion of Au Bonheur des Dames. What does the growth of the store symbolize for those who work there? For the neighborhood shop owners? For the retail industry in general? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)