|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madame Aurelie plan to give Denise the job?
2. What is the name of Denise's uncle?
3. The silk department employees wish that ____________ would not come back from holiday.
4. What does Denise do after her dismissal from Au Bonheur des Dames?
5. What do the salespeople do at the end of the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the imagery of comparing the store to a church or temple.
2. What is the burgeoning awareness between Mouret and Denise?
3. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
4. Why does Denise's rejection of Mouret's advances leave him confused?
5. What does Madame Desforges host for Mouret's benefit?
6. How does the author use images of death to show that it is a part of life?
7. Who is Mouret intent on meeting at Madame Desforges' tea and why is this meeting important to him?
8. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
9. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
10. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mouret. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)