|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mouret's right-hand man?
2. On what day of the week does Madame Desforge hold her teas?
3. What happens at the store during the summer?
4. How long has Denise been working at the store at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What position does Albert's father, Lhomme, have at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mouret's money and power agitate Denise?
2. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
3. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
4. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
5. Why is Denise proof that Mouret's money will not buy him everything he wants?
6. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
7. What is more important to Denise than the loss of her job when she is terminated?
8. Explain the imagery of comparing the store to a church or temple.
9. What is the symbolism of Genevieve's death?
10. What does Madame Desforges host for Mouret's benefit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mouret and Baudu. What are their roles within the retail industry in Paris? What are their core values? What are they willing (or not) to do in order to succeed?
Essay Topic 2
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES takes place in Paris in the late 1800s. Explain what is going on in Paris at this time that makes Zola decide to write this story in this setting.
Essay Topic 3
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES is a classic struggle for survival story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)