|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Denise's brothers?
2. What is the atmosphere of the ladies' wear department while Denise waits for an interview?
3. Who befriends Denise at the store?
4. What type of business does Vincard have?
5. From whom does Denise hope to get help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
2. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
3. What are Denise's feelings as she begins work at Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. How does the author use images of death to show that it is a part of life?
5. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
6. Describe some of the conflict going on in departments of the store.
7. How are the neighborhood stores faring in comparing to the big department store?
8. Why can Baudu no longer honor the offer he had made to Denise a year ago?
9. Why does Denise's rejection of Mouret's advances leave him confused?
10. What is the burgeoning awareness between Mouret and Denise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
There is a lot of symbolism in this story regarding the expansion of Au Bonheur des Dames. What does the growth of the store symbolize for those who work there? For the neighborhood shop owners? For the retail industry in general? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
AU BONHEUR DES DAMES is a classic struggle for survival story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)