|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Albert's father, Lhomme, have at the store?
2. What does Denise finally get when spring arrives?
3. On what do Gaujean and Robineau plan to challenge Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. Who is the young man who made a serious delivery error the previous day?
5. Who is Paul Vallagnosc?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mouret exploit women to achieve his goals?
2. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
3. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
4. What is the symbolism of Genevieve's death?
5. How does Vincard symbolize the easier life the store owners could achieve if they can only give in and sell out to Mouret?
6. How does the relationship between Denise and Mouret evolve in Chapter 7?
7. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
8. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
9. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
10. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Baudu. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Mouret and Baudu. What are their roles within the retail industry in Paris? What are their core values? What are they willing (or not) to do in order to succeed?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)