|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what do Gaujean and Robineau plan to challenge Au Bonheur des Dames?
2. Why is Bourras angry at Mouret?
3. Who is the young man who made a serious delivery error the previous day?
4. Where do Denise and her brothers go to find a new life?
5. For what event is Au Bonheur des Dames prepared at the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the vans at Au Bonheur des Dames?
2. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
3. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
4. Describe some of Denise's feelings as she learns her way around the store and the employees.
5. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
6. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
7. How does Denise indirectly change the work lives of the store employees?
8. What is more important to Denise than the loss of her job when she is terminated?
9. What are some of Mouret's business practices that have made him successful?
10. Why is the summer season especially difficult for the store employees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Baudu. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Zola is quoted as saying, "I am little concerned with beauty or perfection. I don't care for the great centuries. All I care about is life, struggle, intensity. I am at ease in my generation," (My Hates, 1866.) How is this philosophy apparent in AU BONHEUR DES DAMES?
This section contains 1,497 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)