|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the most charming salesperson in the silk department?
2. Jean has an apprenticeship with _________________.
3. What does Mouret say about Denise's termination?
4. Which of the following is NOT characteristic of the silk department?
5. Who befriends Denise at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Denise's demeanor during this difficult time at the store?
2. Why is Denise so apprehensive about Jouve?
3. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
4. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
5. What is the burgeoning awareness between Mouret and Denise?
6. How does the relationship between Denise and Mouret evolve in Chapter 7?
7. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
8. What realization does Robineau come to regarding Denise's opinion on why large stores are so successful?
9. Why does Denise end up leaving the store when she could have anything she wanted?
10. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What does the author mean by calling the book AU BONHEUR DES DAMES? Cite an example to support your answer. Can you suggest another title which you think is more appropriate for the book?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Denise, Mouret, Madame Desforges, and Baudu. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)