|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what product does Mouret stake the store's future?
2. Who befriends Denise at the store?
3. Who is Paul Vallagnosc?
4. What is the name of the store that is creating competition for other stores?
5. Who is Uncle Baudu's assistant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a recurring theme in the book notably beginning in Chapter 7?
2. What are some of Mouret's business practices that have made him successful?
3. Explain the symbolism of the windows in Chapter 13.
4. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
5. Who is Mouret intent on meeting at Madame Desforges' tea and why is this meeting important to him?
6. How does Vincard symbolize the easier life the store owners could achieve if they can only give in and sell out to Mouret?
7. What are Denise's reactions to Pauline's suggestion on how to assuage her loneliness?
8. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
9. What is the irony of Baudu's position on balancing money and family life?
10. Who are some of the women at Madame Desforges' tea and what is revealed about their shopping habits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Denise, Mouret, Madame Desforges, and Baudu. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mouret and Baudu. What are their roles within the retail industry in Paris? What are their core values? What are they willing (or not) to do in order to succeed?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)