|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the store that is creating competition for other stores?
2. What is Madame Desforges hosting at the beginning of Chapter 3?
3. Denise is criticized for her big dress and _______________.
4. What role does Mouret assume in the store?
5. Where does Denise get a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
2. What is Denise's demeanor during this difficult time at the store?
3. How does Mouret exploit women to achieve his goals?
4. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
5. What are Denise's reactions to Pauline's suggestion on how to assuage her loneliness?
6. What are Denise's feelings as she begins work at Au Bonheur des Dames?
7. How does the author use images of death to show that it is a part of life?
8. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
9. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
10. How does Denise indirectly change the work lives of the store employees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zola uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What does the author mean by calling the book AU BONHEUR DES DAMES? Cite an example to support your answer. Can you suggest another title which you think is more appropriate for the book?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)