Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the inspector who hopes for sexual favors from Denise?
2. What does Robineau reveal about the coat whose quality a customer complains?
3. Which of the following is NOT imagery presented in this chapter?
4. What is the name of Uncle Baudu's daughter?
5. From whom does Denise rent a room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the color white symbolize in Chapter 14?
2. What is the imagery introduced in Chapter 2 regarding the big department store?
3. According to Madame Desforges, how do distinguished women view Mouret's store?
4. What does the author show about the dark nature of the store's employees?
5. What are Denise's working conditions at the store?
6. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
7. What surprises Mouret about Denise's love for him?
8. Summarize the story of AU BONHEUR DES DAMES.
9. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
10. How does the store bring out the worst in the store's customers?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Baudu. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Denise, Mouret, Madame Desforges, and Baudu. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, and socialization.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the early 1800s when this novel was written. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)