|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robineau reveal about the coat whose quality a customer complains?
2. What is Mouret's best business skill?
3. What does Pauline advise Denise to get?
4. On what product does Mouret stake the store's future?
5. What is the name of Uncle Baudu's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the store blocking the sun from the surrounding neighborhoods?
2. What are Denise's feelings as she begins work at Au Bonheur des Dames?
3. How does Denise first come in contact with Au Bonheur des Dames?
4. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
5. Why is Denise conflicted about falling in love with Mouret?
6. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
7. What realization does Robineau come to regarding Denise's opinion on why large stores are so successful?
8. Who are some of the women at Madame Desforges' tea and what is revealed about their shopping habits?
9. What are Mouret's expansion plans?
10. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Madame Desforges. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Madame Baudu's wanting the windows opened as she lay dying. What is the symbolism of Baudu's store being draped in white after her death? Identify one other example of symbolism that you find notable.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)