|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jean has an apprenticeship with _________________.
2. Where is Denise when she sees Mouret again?
3. Which of the following departments do Mouret and Bourdoncle NOT visit this morning?
4. Who declares his love for Denise despite the fact that she only wants to be friends with him?
5. It is important to Denise that ____________ knows the truth about what really happened in the basement.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Mouret think Denise is leaving and why does he think it might be a good idea to remain a bachelor?
3. Where does Denise think that her relationship with Mouret will lead?
4. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
5. What surprises Mouret about Denise's love for him?
6. Describe the initial contacts between Denise and Mouret.
7. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
8. What are Bourdoncle's business philosophies that are in sharp contrast to Mouret's?
9. What other reasons does Madame Baudu speculate could be the source of Genevieve's illness aside from the postponement of her marriage to Colomban?
10. Explain the imagery of comparing the store to a church or temple.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a lot of symbolism in this story regarding the expansion of Au Bonheur des Dames. What does the growth of the store symbolize for those who work there? For the neighborhood shop owners? For the retail industry in general? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Denise. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the novel. Why does Zola use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)