|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bourdoncle thinks that the women Mouret uses eventually will seek ____________.
2. What role does Mouret assume in the store?
3. Who is the young man who made a serious delivery error the previous day?
4. Why does Jouve try to get Denise fired?
5. How does Mouret entice the ladies to shop at Au Bonheur des Dames?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bourdoncle think that Denise could be the demise of the store?
2. Explain the imagery of comparing the store to a church or temple.
3. How does Mouret exploit women to achieve his goals?
4. What is the perception by the store management when they learn that the sales girls are taking on extra work?
5. How does the author show the theme of class system in Chapter 13?
6. How does Madame Desforges treat Denise when she realizes that Mouret is interested in Denise?
7. Why is Mouret uncomfortable with the way Madame Desforges flaunts their relationship?
8. How does Baudu's store fare during the road construction period?
9. How does the author use the element of foreshadowing in Chapter 7?
10. Why is Denise conflicted about falling in love with Mouret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Madame Baudu's wanting the windows opened as she lay dying. What is the symbolism of Baudu's store being draped in white after her death? Identify one other example of symbolism that you find notable.
Essay Topic 2
Zola is quoted as saying, "I am little concerned with beauty or perfection. I don't care for the great centuries. All I care about is life, struggle, intensity. I am at ease in my generation," (My Hates, 1866.) How is this philosophy apparent in AU BONHEUR DES DAMES?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)