|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the character that startles Briony as she is trying to write another story for her brother?
2. Emily believes the twins will probably be back before the __________ could arrive.
3. Who does the answer to #151 say that she saw?
4. Who does Lola want to tell about the letter that Robbie wrote for Cecilia?
5. What is Briony certain will benefit her writing, even if it means hurting others and invading their privacy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Lola, according to Briony?
2. Who approaches Cecilia as she is changing for dinner?
3. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
4. What is the explanation for the disembodied human leg that Briony thinks she sees?
5. Why is Betty furious with Emily?
6. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
7. What does Emily think about the disappearance of the twins?
8. Why do the probationers live in constant fear of Sister Marjorie Drummond?
9. What has been haunting Emily lately?
10. What is hanging high up in a tree above the three stragglers from the retreating British army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lola is the sister that does not necessarily seem that important to the story at first, but her role develops as the pages turn.
Part 1: Describe the character of Lola. What are some of the characteristics that set her apart from the others?
Part 2: What happens to Lola in the pivotal scene of violence?
Part 3: Why do you think Lola goes along with Briony's lie? Why does she not refute it?
Essay Topic 2
Violence also plays a major role in this story, causing characters to be misconstrued and causing characters to create their own explanations.
Part 1: Describe the scene between Robbie and Cecilia which is seen as violence in Briony's eyes.
Part 2: Why do you think Briony mistook this scene for violence?
Part 3: What does the assumption of violence or negative actions (as in when Lola agrees with Briony's assessment of the letter) say about these characters? Why are they so sensitive to the possibility of violence?
Essay Topic 3
The ending of Atonement is one that can be confusing to the reader, as Briony is the one telling the tale.
Part 1: What are the two endings to the story of Atonement?
Part 2: Which ending seems to be "real" in terms of the storytelling? Which one is more believable?
Part 3: What do you think happens to Cecilia and Robbie at the end of this story?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)