|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is glaring at Robbie as the dinner meal is beginning?
2. What does Briony think she sees through the windows?
3. Who is the woman that strikes fear into the hearts of all the probationary nurses and staff?
4. Who wants to change the menu to cold cuts instead of the original plan for the dinner arrangements?
5. What does Briony grab in order to prove the story she is telling to the head inspector?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
2. What is Cecilia doing in response to the attack?
3. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
4. What is the explanation for the disembodied human leg that Briony thinks she sees?
5. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
6. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
7. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
8. How does Briony reveal her true self within this section?
9. Who enters the library and catches Robbie and Cecilia?
10. Who interrupts Briony as she is trying to write a new story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
Essay Topic 2
The library scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that can shock readers, while also causing them to learn more about these two characters and their feelings for each other.
Part 1: Why do you think this scene was narrated by Robbie instead of Cecilia?
Part 2: How did you feel about Robbie before the scene? After the scene?
Part 3: How does this scene show the true feelings between these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Lola is the sister that does not necessarily seem that important to the story at first, but her role develops as the pages turn.
Part 1: Describe the character of Lola. What are some of the characteristics that set her apart from the others?
Part 2: What happens to Lola in the pivotal scene of violence?
Part 3: Why do you think Lola goes along with Briony's lie? Why does she not refute it?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)