|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of the first dress Cecilia chooses that she believes makes her look like Shirley Temple?
2. According to Briony, "Writing is a form of _____."
3. What does Emily watch as she looks at her unused harpsichord?
4. What can gentleman do during hot days in England, according to Leon?
5. Betty will get upset with the twins and with the children if they do not come down for _______ immediately.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Betty furious with Emily?
2. What has happened to Lola, according to Briony?
3. What does Emily think about the disappearance of the twins?
4. What does Robbie have to say about the letter that he wrote to Cecilia?
5. What does Briony picture has happened to the twins?
6. What is hanging high up in a tree above the three stragglers from the retreating British army?
7. What is Jack's response to the disappearance of the twins?
8. Where does Cecilia run off to in order to be free of her mother?
9. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
10. How does Briony reveal her true self within this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ending of Atonement is one that can be confusing to the reader, as Briony is the one telling the tale.
Part 1: What are the two endings to the story of Atonement?
Part 2: Which ending seems to be "real" in terms of the storytelling? Which one is more believable?
Part 3: What do you think happens to Cecilia and Robbie at the end of this story?
Essay Topic 2
The vase becomes a symbolic item in this story, with its glorious return to the family, then its breaking, repair, and then eventual demise.
Part 1: What is the story of the vase's return to the family?
Part 2: How does the vase become broken in the first place?
Part 3: What does the breaking and repair of the case seem to symbolize in relation to the relationship between Robbie and Cecilia?
Essay Topic 3
The tragedy of Briony becomes all the more disturbing when the reader finds out she has an illness at the end of the story.
Part 1: What is the illness of Briony at the end of this book?
Part 2: What does this illness seem to say about the idea of memories?
Part 3: What might this illness be symbolic of within the context of the story? In other words, what might this illness seem to say about the idea of memory and about holding onto one's memories?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)