|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cecilia lead Robbie when he begins to apologize for the note?
2. Who catches Robbie and Cecilia in the library?
3. __________ is strange and must be struggled for to attain.
4. How many stragglers have reached a bombed out house in order to figure out a shortcut to the sea in the beginning of this chapter?
5. When was the first time Robbie saw Cecilia after he got out of prison?
Essay Topic 1
The growing up of Briony plays into the overall plot of the story, showing the reader that while she might want to grow up, she isn't quite ready for that adult world.
Part 1: List at least three things that Briony does that shows her immaturity.
Part 2: List at least three things that Briony does that demonstrate that she is growing up in the first part of the book.
Part 3: Has Briony grown up in the second part of the book? Or is she still childish in her interactions and her reactions to Cecilia?
Essay Topic 2
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
Essay Topic 3
Emily Tallis is a fascinating creature who evokes pity and anger from readers who "meet" her.
Part 1: Describe the character of Emily Tallis.
Part 2: What do Emily's children think of her as a mother and as a person?
Part 3: Why do you think Emily Tallis suffers from illnesses so much? Is it purely physical or might it be psychological?
This section contains 1,718 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)