|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is put to bed to wait for the doctors after the attack in the yard?
2. How many years did Robbie spend in jail for his crimes, according to the narrative?
3. When was the first time Robbie saw Cecilia after he got out of prison?
4. Where do Leon and Cecilia walk to as they are talking to each other?
5. Who summons everyone to dinner, which interrupts the conversation between Lola and Briony?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
2. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
3. What does Briony think Cecilia is telling Leon when Briony sees them walking together a distance away?
4. Why is Briony the one who is left with the adults to tell the story?
5. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
6. What has happened to Lola, according to Briony?
7. What does Robbie have to say about the letter that he wrote to Cecilia?
8. What is hanging high up in a tree above the three stragglers from the retreating British army?
9. What does Emily think her husband will do soon?
10. Who approaches Cecilia as she is changing for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The letter from Robbie to Cecilia sets off a chain of events in many respects. The importance of this letter cannot be denied.
Part 1: Why does Robbie write this letter in the first place? What is he trying to achieve?
Part 2: Why does Robbie decide to write another letter that is less crude? Why would he have been so crude in the first place?
Part 3: Why is Cecilia not bothered by the crudeness of the letter she does receive? What does this say about her?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of love and romance is an expected one in a novel containing a young girl who looks to her older sisters to see what "real life" will be like when she grows up.
Part 1: What does Briony think romance and love should include?
Part 2: What do you think Cecilia uses as a definition of love and romance? What does love include, according to her?
Part 3: Cite two examples of love relationships in this story. What do they have to say about the idea of love and its ability to heal and to hurt?
Essay Topic 3
The ending of Atonement is one that can be confusing to the reader, as Briony is the one telling the tale.
Part 1: What are the two endings to the story of Atonement?
Part 2: Which ending seems to be "real" in terms of the storytelling? Which one is more believable?
Part 3: What do you think happens to Cecilia and Robbie at the end of this story?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)