|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cecilia tell Robbie that she has been ______ with him and with herself all day.
2. Who is put to bed to wait for the doctors after the attack in the yard?
3. Who treats the inspectors in a condescending manner?
4. Who is now a probationary nurse at the start of 1940 in this section of the book?
5. Where does Cecilia lead Robbie when he begins to apologize for the note?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Cecilia run off to in order to be free of her mother?
2. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
3. What is the explanation for the disembodied human leg that Briony thinks she sees?
4. What has happened to Lola, according to Briony?
5. Who enters the library and catches Robbie and Cecilia?
6. What is Cecilia doing in response to the attack?
7. What does Emily think her husband will do soon?
8. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
9. What has been haunting Emily lately?
10. How does Briony reveal her true self within this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Briony sticks to her story about Robbie and Lola, even though it's clear to the reader this might not be the right story.
Part 1: What does Briony think happened between Lola and Robbie?
Part 2: What does Lola think happened during this event?
Part 3: Why does Briony stick to her story? What might her motivations be? What might Briony gain from telling the story she tells to the police?
Essay Topic 2
Emily Tallis is a fascinating creature who evokes pity and anger from readers who "meet" her.
Part 1: Describe the character of Emily Tallis.
Part 2: What do Emily's children think of her as a mother and as a person?
Part 3: Why do you think Emily Tallis suffers from illnesses so much? Is it purely physical or might it be psychological?
Essay Topic 3
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)