|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to change the menu to cold cuts instead of the original plan for the dinner arrangements?
2. Who is Briony comforted to know is with her sister Cecilia as they are searching for the twins?
3. What does Emily watch as she looks at her unused harpsichord?
4. Who does Emily think might be suitable in terms of marrying Cecilia?
5. Whose presence makes the household settle, which is why everyone is quiet and slows down by the closed library door?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
2. Why do the probationers live in constant fear of Sister Marjorie Drummond?
3. What does Robbie have to say about the letter that he wrote to Cecilia?
4. What does Emily think her husband will do soon?
5. What is Cecilia doing in response to the attack?
6. What does Emily think about the disappearance of the twins?
7. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
8. How does Briony reveal her true self within this section?
9. What does Briony picture has happened to the twins?
10. What has happened to Lola, according to Briony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of love and romance is an expected one in a novel containing a young girl who looks to her older sisters to see what "real life" will be like when she grows up.
Part 1: What does Briony think romance and love should include?
Part 2: What do you think Cecilia uses as a definition of love and romance? What does love include, according to her?
Part 3: Cite two examples of love relationships in this story. What do they have to say about the idea of love and its ability to heal and to hurt?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Cecilia is one that seems a bit complicated to the reader and to the actual story's movement.
Part 1: Describe the character of Cecilia.
Part 2: Is Cecilia as grown up as she seems to be? Why or why not? Does Cecilia feel she is the adult everyone believes her to be?
Part 3: How is Cecilia affected by the loss of Robbie and by the story of Briony?
Essay Topic 3
Emily Tallis is a fascinating creature who evokes pity and anger from readers who "meet" her.
Part 1: Describe the character of Emily Tallis.
Part 2: What do Emily's children think of her as a mother and as a person?
Part 3: Why do you think Emily Tallis suffers from illnesses so much? Is it purely physical or might it be psychological?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)