|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of the first dress Cecilia chooses that she believes makes her look like Shirley Temple?
2. The first line of Briony's story used to be: "there was an/a __________ who _________."
3. Who says to Cecilia that they want to be in Briony's play and that is why they are upset?
4. According to Briony, "Writing is a form of _____."
5. Who does Emily think might be suitable in terms of marrying Cecilia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
2. What is Jack's response to the disappearance of the twins?
3. Who approaches Cecilia as she is changing for dinner?
4. What does Emily think her husband will do soon?
5. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
6. What does Briony decide about the letter that Robbie has written to Cecilia?
7. What does Briony think Cecilia is telling Leon when Briony sees them walking together a distance away?
8. Why do the probationers live in constant fear of Sister Marjorie Drummond?
9. What does Briony picture has happened to the twins?
10. Who interrupts Briony as she is trying to write a new story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lola is the sister that does not necessarily seem that important to the story at first, but her role develops as the pages turn.
Part 1: Describe the character of Lola. What are some of the characteristics that set her apart from the others?
Part 2: What happens to Lola in the pivotal scene of violence?
Part 3: Why do you think Lola goes along with Briony's lie? Why does she not refute it?
Essay Topic 2
Emily Tallis is a fascinating creature who evokes pity and anger from readers who "meet" her.
Part 1: Describe the character of Emily Tallis.
Part 2: What do Emily's children think of her as a mother and as a person?
Part 3: Why do you think Emily Tallis suffers from illnesses so much? Is it purely physical or might it be psychological?
Essay Topic 3
The ending of Atonement is one that can be confusing to the reader, as Briony is the one telling the tale.
Part 1: What are the two endings to the story of Atonement?
Part 2: Which ending seems to be "real" in terms of the storytelling? Which one is more believable?
Part 3: What do you think happens to Cecilia and Robbie at the end of this story?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)