|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Briony send off a manuscript, though it is not accepted for publication as it is not the right fit for this company?
2. Who is glaring at Robbie as the dinner meal is beginning?
3. What is Jack actually doing when he calls up with the answer to #136?
4. Who says to Cecilia that they want to be in Briony's play and that is why they are upset?
5. What are moths actually looking for, instead of the light, according to Emily's recollection of her education?
Essay Topic 1
Emily Tallis is a fascinating creature who evokes pity and anger from readers who "meet" her.
Part 1: Describe the character of Emily Tallis.
Part 2: What do Emily's children think of her as a mother and as a person?
Part 3: Why do you think Emily Tallis suffers from illnesses so much? Is it purely physical or might it be psychological?
Essay Topic 2
Briony sticks to her story about Robbie and Lola, even though it's clear to the reader this might not be the right story.
Part 1: What does Briony think happened between Lola and Robbie?
Part 2: What does Lola think happened during this event?
Part 3: Why does Briony stick to her story? What might her motivations be? What might Briony gain from telling the story she tells to the police?
Essay Topic 3
The vase becomes a symbolic item in this story, with its glorious return to the family, then its breaking, repair, and then eventual demise.
Part 1: What is the story of the vase's return to the family?
Part 2: How does the vase become broken in the first place?
Part 3: What does the breaking and repair of the case seem to symbolize in relation to the relationship between Robbie and Cecilia?
This section contains 1,740 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)