|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Emily reluctant to deal with in the beginning of this section, after the group realizes the twins have run away?
2. Which of the Tallis siblings does not seem to have any ambition or any direction to his/her life?
3. What does Briony grab in order to prove the story she is telling to the head inspector?
4. Who does Emily think might be suitable in terms of marrying Cecilia?
5. Who treats the inspectors in a condescending manner?
Essay Topic 1
The character of Cecilia is one that seems a bit complicated to the reader and to the actual story's movement.
Part 1: Describe the character of Cecilia.
Part 2: Is Cecilia as grown up as she seems to be? Why or why not? Does Cecilia feel she is the adult everyone believes her to be?
Part 3: How is Cecilia affected by the loss of Robbie and by the story of Briony?
Essay Topic 2
The library scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that can shock readers, while also causing them to learn more about these two characters and their feelings for each other.
Part 1: Why do you think this scene was narrated by Robbie instead of Cecilia?
Part 2: How did you feel about Robbie before the scene? After the scene?
Part 3: How does this scene show the true feelings between these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
The letter from Robbie to Cecilia sets off a chain of events in many respects. The importance of this letter cannot be denied.
Part 1: Why does Robbie write this letter in the first place? What is he trying to achieve?
Part 2: Why does Robbie decide to write another letter that is less crude? Why would he have been so crude in the first place?
Part 3: Why is Cecilia not bothered by the crudeness of the letter she does receive? What does this say about her?
This section contains 1,731 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)