|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who catches Robbie and Cecilia in the library?
2. Who is Emily reluctant to deal with in the beginning of this section, after the group realizes the twins have run away?
3. Who is glaring at Robbie as the dinner meal is beginning?
4. Where does Briony head in order to find the twins, musing about taking final responsibility for animal and child?
5. What does Emily watch as she looks at her unused harpsichord?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's response to the disappearance of the twins?
2. Who interrupts Briony as she is trying to write a new story?
3. Why is Betty furious with Emily?
4. What is the explanation for the disembodied human leg that Briony thinks she sees?
5. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
6. What does Emily think her husband will do soon?
7. What is hanging high up in a tree above the three stragglers from the retreating British army?
8. Why is Briony the one who is left with the adults to tell the story?
9. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
10. What does Briony decide about the letter that Robbie has written to Cecilia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
Essay Topic 2
One of the biggest themes in this manuscript is the idea of reality vs. fantasy. Briony's perspective not only yields a delightful narrative, but also disastrous consequences for other characters.
Part 1: In what way is Briony's storytelling helpful to the characters in the story?
Part 2: In what way is Briony's perspective hurtful to the characters?
Part 3: Is Briony a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of imagination is one that plays out throughout this story. Many characters have dreams, while others take everyday events and turn them into fantastic stories.
Part 1: Does the introduction of imagination cause this story to be believable? In other words, can the reader trust everything he/she reads?
Part 2: Does imagination seem to create positive results or negative results? Or both?
Part 3: Describe one scene in which imagination plays a central role. What is the outcome of this situation?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)