|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Robbie injured according to the opening of this second of the book?
2. What does Briony want to ask Marshall about, as she says a cowardly way to go about her plans?
3. Who is Briony comforted to know is with her sister Cecilia as they are searching for the twins?
4. Who is the character that startles Briony as she is trying to write another story for her brother?
5. Who does Briony say is the attack of the answer to #151?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Betty furious with Emily?
2. What is Cecilia doing in response to the attack?
3. What does Briony decide about the letter that Robbie has written to Cecilia?
4. What has happened to Lola, according to Briony?
5. Who enters the library and catches Robbie and Cecilia?
6. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
7. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
8. Who approaches Cecilia as she is changing for dinner?
9. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
10. Why do the probationers live in constant fear of Sister Marjorie Drummond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lies seem to be pervasive in this story, but they seem to be taken as truths or at least ignored for the sake of those involved.
Part 1: What is the lie that Mr. Tallis tells again and again?
Part 2: Why does Emily believe her husband's stories, or at least, why does she live with the lies?
Part 3: What are other lies that are told in this story, other than the one Briony tells about Robbie and Lola? What do these lies do to the characters and to the action of the story?
Essay Topic 2
The men of the story seem to play more of a background role, even though they are an integral part of the action.
Part 1: Describe the role of Leon. Who is he and what does he provide for the story?
Part 2: Describe the character of Paul Marshall. Who is he and what does he bring to the story?
Part 3: Describe the character of Robbie. Who is he and what does he bring to the story?
Essay Topic 3
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)