|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Briony think she sees through the windows?
2. What does Briony notice the twins are wearing after they ask to be excused from dinner?
3. Where does Cecilia meet up with her half-drunk brother, finally, after escaping from her mother and the drama of the kitchen?
4. Who is Emily convinced sabotaged Briony's play?
5. What is Robbie afraid Briony is going to mention at the dinner table?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who approaches Cecilia as she is changing for dinner?
2. Why is Betty furious with Emily?
3. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
4. What does Emily think her husband will do soon?
5. What does Emily think about the disappearance of the twins?
6. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
7. What has happened to Lola, according to Briony?
8. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
9. What is Jack's response to the disappearance of the twins?
10. Where does Cecilia run off to in order to be free of her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of atonement is not a surprising theme, given the title of the book.
Part 1: Who is the character that decides he/she needs to atone for his/her sins?
Part 2: Why does this character feel the way he/she does?
Part 3: Do you think this character is genuine in his/her desire to make things right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of imagination is one that plays out throughout this story. Many characters have dreams, while others take everyday events and turn them into fantastic stories.
Part 1: Does the introduction of imagination cause this story to be believable? In other words, can the reader trust everything he/she reads?
Part 2: Does imagination seem to create positive results or negative results? Or both?
Part 3: Describe one scene in which imagination plays a central role. What is the outcome of this situation?
Essay Topic 3
The letter from Robbie to Cecilia sets off a chain of events in many respects. The importance of this letter cannot be denied.
Part 1: Why does Robbie write this letter in the first place? What is he trying to achieve?
Part 2: Why does Robbie decide to write another letter that is less crude? Why would he have been so crude in the first place?
Part 3: Why is Cecilia not bothered by the crudeness of the letter she does receive? What does this say about her?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)