Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Emily reluctant to deal with in the beginning of this section, after the group realizes the twins have run away?
2. Which of the Tallis siblings does not seem to have any ambition or any direction to his/her life?
3. What does Briony grab in order to prove the story she is telling to the head inspector?
4. Who does Emily think might be suitable in terms of marrying Cecilia?
5. Who treats the inspectors in a condescending manner?
The ending of Atonement is one that can be confusing to the reader, as Briony is the one telling the tale.
Part 1: What are the two endings to the story of Atonement?
Part 2: Which ending seems to be "real" in terms of the storytelling? Which one is more believable?
Part 3: What do you think happens to Cecilia and Robbie at the end of this story?
The theme of love and romance is an expected one in a novel containing a young girl who looks to her older sisters to see what "real life" will be like when she grows up.
Part 1: What does Briony think romance and love should include?
Part 2: What do you think Cecilia uses as a definition of love and romance? What does love include, according to her?
Part 3: Cite two examples of love relationships in this story. What do they have to say about the idea of love and its ability to heal and to hurt?
The idea of a letter becomes an important plot point at several times in this story.
Part 1: List three instances in which a letter delivers an important message.
Part 2: Are there any instances in which a letter is used for a positive purpose? What are they?
Part 3: In today's times, could these messages be delivered by e-mail? Or is the structure of the letter crucial to its value and its worth? Does the actual format of the letter add to the meaning?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)