|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on the beautiful morning of June, 1932, as recalled by Robbie during his travels?
2. Cecilia tell Robbie that she has been ______ with him and with herself all day.
3. Who jokes about having been persuaded by Emily to have a roast in Leon's honor, no matter the weather?
4. Who says to Cecilia that they want to be in Briony's play and that is why they are upset?
5. What does Briony think of Robbie's letter to Cecilia? What does she think Cecilia is as a result?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
2. What does Briony think Cecilia is telling Leon when Briony sees them walking together a distance away?
3. What does Emily think about the disappearance of the twins?
4. Why do the probationers live in constant fear of Sister Marjorie Drummond?
5. Where does Cecilia run off to in order to be free of her mother?
6. Why is Betty furious with Emily?
7. What does Briony picture has happened to the twins?
8. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
9. What is hanging high up in a tree above the three stragglers from the retreating British army?
10. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The library scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that can shock readers, while also causing them to learn more about these two characters and their feelings for each other.
Part 1: Why do you think this scene was narrated by Robbie instead of Cecilia?
Part 2: How did you feel about Robbie before the scene? After the scene?
Part 3: How does this scene show the true feelings between these two characters?
Essay Topic 2
The ending of Atonement is one that can be confusing to the reader, as Briony is the one telling the tale.
Part 1: What are the two endings to the story of Atonement?
Part 2: Which ending seems to be "real" in terms of the storytelling? Which one is more believable?
Part 3: What do you think happens to Cecilia and Robbie at the end of this story?
Essay Topic 3
Lola is the sister that does not necessarily seem that important to the story at first, but her role develops as the pages turn.
Part 1: Describe the character of Lola. What are some of the characteristics that set her apart from the others?
Part 2: What happens to Lola in the pivotal scene of violence?
Part 3: Why do you think Lola goes along with Briony's lie? Why does she not refute it?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)