|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can gentleman do during hot days in England, according to Leon?
2. What does Briony grab in order to prove the story she is telling to the head inspector?
3. What do Leon and Marshall prepare in order to renew their search for the twins that was halted when the attack was discovered?
4. What is Jack actually doing when he calls up with the answer to #136?
5. Who is the character that startles Briony as she is trying to write another story for her brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the explanation for the disembodied human leg that Briony thinks she sees?
2. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
3. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
4. What is Cecilia doing in response to the attack?
5. Who enters the library and catches Robbie and Cecilia?
6. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
7. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
8. What does Briony think Cecilia is telling Leon when Briony sees them walking together a distance away?
9. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
10. What does Emily think about the disappearance of the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lola is the sister that does not necessarily seem that important to the story at first, but her role develops as the pages turn.
Part 1: Describe the character of Lola. What are some of the characteristics that set her apart from the others?
Part 2: What happens to Lola in the pivotal scene of violence?
Part 3: Why do you think Lola goes along with Briony's lie? Why does she not refute it?
Essay Topic 2
The ending of Atonement is one that can be confusing to the reader, as Briony is the one telling the tale.
Part 1: What are the two endings to the story of Atonement?
Part 2: Which ending seems to be "real" in terms of the storytelling? Which one is more believable?
Part 3: What do you think happens to Cecilia and Robbie at the end of this story?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of a letter becomes an important plot point at several times in this story.
Part 1: List three instances in which a letter delivers an important message.
Part 2: Are there any instances in which a letter is used for a positive purpose? What are they?
Part 3: In today's times, could these messages be delivered by e-mail? Or is the structure of the letter crucial to its value and its worth? Does the actual format of the letter add to the meaning?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)