|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emily believes ______ will leave, just as _______ did. This causes Emily to feel self-pity for these lost people in her life.
2. What does Emily watch as she looks at her unused harpsichord?
3. Who casts themselves as the protector of Cecilia as they see Cecilia going into the library with Robbie?
4. Who jokes about having been persuaded by Emily to have a roast in Leon's honor, no matter the weather?
5. Who is Emily convinced sabotaged Briony's play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the probationers live in constant fear of Sister Marjorie Drummond?
2. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
3. What does Robbie have to say about the letter that he wrote to Cecilia?
4. Who enters the library and catches Robbie and Cecilia?
5. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
6. What is Cecilia doing in response to the attack?
7. What is hanging high up in a tree above the three stragglers from the retreating British army?
8. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
9. What does Briony picture has happened to the twins?
10. What is Jack's response to the disappearance of the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
Essay Topic 2
Lola is the sister that does not necessarily seem that important to the story at first, but her role develops as the pages turn.
Part 1: Describe the character of Lola. What are some of the characteristics that set her apart from the others?
Part 2: What happens to Lola in the pivotal scene of violence?
Part 3: Why do you think Lola goes along with Briony's lie? Why does she not refute it?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Cecilia is one that seems a bit complicated to the reader and to the actual story's movement.
Part 1: Describe the character of Cecilia.
Part 2: Is Cecilia as grown up as she seems to be? Why or why not? Does Cecilia feel she is the adult everyone believes her to be?
Part 3: How is Cecilia affected by the loss of Robbie and by the story of Briony?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)