|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of the first dress Cecilia chooses that she believes makes her look like Shirley Temple?
2. Betty will get upset with the twins and with the children if they do not come down for _______ immediately.
3. When was the first time Robbie saw Cecilia after he got out of prison?
4. Who does Briony say is the attack of the answer to #151?
5. Who is glaring at Robbie as the dinner meal is beginning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
2. What is Cecilia doing in response to the attack?
3. Who approaches Cecilia as she is changing for dinner?
4. Why is Betty furious with Emily?
5. What is the explanation for the disembodied human leg that Briony thinks she sees?
6. Who interrupts Briony as she is trying to write a new story?
7. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
8. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
9. How does Briony reveal her true self within this section?
10. What does Briony picture has happened to the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lola is the sister that does not necessarily seem that important to the story at first, but her role develops as the pages turn.
Part 1: Describe the character of Lola. What are some of the characteristics that set her apart from the others?
Part 2: What happens to Lola in the pivotal scene of violence?
Part 3: Why do you think Lola goes along with Briony's lie? Why does she not refute it?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of atonement is not a surprising theme, given the title of the book.
Part 1: Who is the character that decides he/she needs to atone for his/her sins?
Part 2: Why does this character feel the way he/she does?
Part 3: Do you think this character is genuine in his/her desire to make things right? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The letter from Robbie to Cecilia sets off a chain of events in many respects. The importance of this letter cannot be denied.
Part 1: Why does Robbie write this letter in the first place? What is he trying to achieve?
Part 2: Why does Robbie decide to write another letter that is less crude? Why would he have been so crude in the first place?
Part 3: Why is Cecilia not bothered by the crudeness of the letter she does receive? What does this say about her?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)