|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Briony think she sees through the windows?
2. Who does the answer to #151 say that she saw?
3. Who is put to bed to wait for the doctors after the attack in the yard?
4. Betty will get upset with the twins and with the children if they do not come down for _______ immediately.
5. What does Lola declare Robbie to be after Briony reveals the contents of the letter Robbie wrote for Cecilia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Briony decide about the letter that Robbie has written to Cecilia?
2. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
3. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
4. How does Briony escape Cecelia's questioning?
5. What has been haunting Emily lately?
6. What is Lola's response to the letter that Robbie has written for Cecilia, as told to her by Briony?
7. What does Emily think her husband will do soon?
8. What is Cecilia doing in response to the attack?
9. Who enters the library and catches Robbie and Cecilia?
10. Who interrupts Briony as she is trying to write a new story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emily Tallis is a fascinating creature who evokes pity and anger from readers who "meet" her.
Part 1: Describe the character of Emily Tallis.
Part 2: What do Emily's children think of her as a mother and as a person?
Part 3: Why do you think Emily Tallis suffers from illnesses so much? Is it purely physical or might it be psychological?
Essay Topic 2
The growing up of Briony plays into the overall plot of the story, showing the reader that while she might want to grow up, she isn't quite ready for that adult world.
Part 1: List at least three things that Briony does that shows her immaturity.
Part 2: List at least three things that Briony does that demonstrate that she is growing up in the first part of the book.
Part 3: Has Briony grown up in the second part of the book? Or is she still childish in her interactions and her reactions to Cecilia?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of love and romance is an expected one in a novel containing a young girl who looks to her older sisters to see what "real life" will be like when she grows up.
Part 1: What does Briony think romance and love should include?
Part 2: What do you think Cecilia uses as a definition of love and romance? What does love include, according to her?
Part 3: Cite two examples of love relationships in this story. What do they have to say about the idea of love and its ability to heal and to hurt?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)