|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Briony think Robbie is asking Cecilia to do?
2. Why does Emily retreat to her bedroom every afternoon?
3. Briony often wonders if others think about life's _________ as much as she does.
4. Who does Briony sacrifice in her story, declaring them to be incompetent actors?
5. What is all that remains of the surprising scene to which Briony is a witness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Briony think she should have done for her brother, Leon's, return?
2. What does Cecilia try to do in order to recover the appearance of the vase?
3. What is Jack's response to the disappearance of the twins?
4. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
5. What is the explanation for the disembodied human leg that Briony thinks she sees?
6. Why does Emily retreat to her bedroom each and every day?
7. Who approaches Cecilia as she is changing for dinner?
8. Why does the taxi cab driver become upset with Briony as she begins her trip with him?
9. What does Briony imagine is happening when she sees Robbie and Cecilia are out at the fountain?
10. Why does Robbie think he should have turned down Leon's invitation to dinner?
Essay Topic 1
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
Essay Topic 2
The library scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that can shock readers, while also causing them to learn more about these two characters and their feelings for each other.
Part 1: Why do you think this scene was narrated by Robbie instead of Cecilia?
Part 2: How did you feel about Robbie before the scene? After the scene?
Part 3: How does this scene show the true feelings between these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
The ending of Atonement is one that can be confusing to the reader, as Briony is the one telling the tale.
Part 1: What are the two endings to the story of Atonement?
Part 2: Which ending seems to be "real" in terms of the storytelling? Which one is more believable?
Part 3: What do you think happens to Cecilia and Robbie at the end of this story?
This section contains 2,077 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)