|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Briony behead in the context of the story she is hastily crafting?
2. Who is told to carry the guest's bags upstairs?
3. How old is Briony at the start of this story?
4. What kind of writer does Briony become at this point?
5. What breaks when Robbie and Cecilia argue over who will help with filling it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Cecilia's father disapprove of which she does in spite of this disapproval?
2. Who pronounces the unthinkable word, "divorce?"
3. What are some of the things that Robbie's tiny office contains?
4. What is Briony's reaction to her big brother when he approaches her?
5. What mystery does Briony begin to contemplate as she is looking at her hand?
6. Where does Briony imagine herself to be?
7. What is the name of the play Briony has been trying to prepare for a few days?
8. What do the children do in response to Emily because her illness stops Emily from giving her children a mother's attention?
9. Why does Cecilia not go to the kitchen to fill up the vase with water?
10. Describe the state of Cecilia at the beginning of this section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the biggest themes in this manuscript is the idea of reality vs. fantasy. Briony's perspective not only yields a delightful narrative, but also disastrous consequences for other characters.
Part 1: In what way is Briony's storytelling helpful to the characters in the story?
Part 2: In what way is Briony's perspective hurtful to the characters?
Part 3: Is Briony a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The growing up of Briony plays into the overall plot of the story, showing the reader that while she might want to grow up, she isn't quite ready for that adult world.
Part 1: List at least three things that Briony does that shows her immaturity.
Part 2: List at least three things that Briony does that demonstrate that she is growing up in the first part of the book.
Part 3: Has Briony grown up in the second part of the book? Or is she still childish in her interactions and her reactions to Cecilia?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Cecilia is one that seems a bit complicated to the reader and to the actual story's movement.
Part 1: Describe the character of Cecilia.
Part 2: Is Cecilia as grown up as she seems to be? Why or why not? Does Cecilia feel she is the adult everyone believes her to be?
Part 3: How is Cecilia affected by the loss of Robbie and by the story of Briony?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)