Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Leon seen Briony doing by the lake?
2. Where does Robbie want to go, with the help of the money of Jack Tallis?
3. What does the person in #80 end up doing in response to Briony's refusal to acknowledge them?
4. What does Marshall give to the children in this room as he is talking to them?
5. How many strokes of nettles does it take for Briony to be free of her show-off years and reliance on her mother's good opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Briony want to prepare her play to be seen by others?
2. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
3. What is Robbie thinking of as he soaks in a bathtub?
4. What does Cecilia do in order to brighten up the guestroom for Paul Marshall, a friend of her brother's?
5. What are some of the things that Robbie's tiny office contains?
6. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
7. Who does Emily trust to take care of things around the house while she tries to rest?
8. Why is Briony relieved when everyone leaves her alone in the nursery?
9. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
10. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
Essay Topic 1
Briony sticks to her story about Robbie and Lola, even though it's clear to the reader this might not be the right story.
Part 1: What does Briony think happened between Lola and Robbie?
Part 2: What does Lola think happened during this event?
Part 3: Why does Briony stick to her story? What might her motivations be? What might Briony gain from telling the story she tells to the police?
Essay Topic 2
The growing up of Briony plays into the overall plot of the story, showing the reader that while she might want to grow up, she isn't quite ready for that adult world.
Part 1: List at least three things that Briony does that shows her immaturity.
Part 2: List at least three things that Briony does that demonstrate that she is growing up in the first part of the book.
Part 3: Has Briony grown up in the second part of the book? Or is she still childish in her interactions and her reactions to Cecilia?
Essay Topic 3
Violence also plays a major role in this story, causing characters to be misconstrued and causing characters to create their own explanations.
Part 1: Describe the scene between Robbie and Cecilia which is seen as violence in Briony's eyes.
Part 2: Why do you think Briony mistook this scene for violence?
Part 3: What does the assumption of violence or negative actions (as in when Lola agrees with Briony's assessment of the letter) say about these characters? Why are they so sensitive to the possibility of violence?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)