|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Briony freed from when she writes a play, much to her delight?
2. What breaks when Robbie and Cecilia argue over who will help with filling it?
3. What does Emily scoff at that has caused her older sister to leave her children?
4. Who does Cecilia want to avoid in the kitchen, causing her to have to go to the fountain for water?
5. Who does Cecilia think has his eye on Lola, as she has observed from his behavior around Lola?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Robbie's tiny office contains?
2. What does Briony realize to be one of the strengths of writing for drama?
3. What does Briony do when she has finished a piece of writing?
4. What has fallen into disrepair, according to the narrative in this section?
5. What is Robbie thinking of as he soaks in a bathtub?
6. Why does Briony want to prepare her play to be seen by others?
7. What does Robbie presume will happen in relation to the funding for his future schooling?
8. Why is Briony relieved when everyone leaves her alone in the nursery?
9. What does Lola ask of Marshall in as grown-up a manner as she can muster?
10. Who does Emily trust to take care of things around the house while she tries to rest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of love and romance is an expected one in a novel containing a young girl who looks to her older sisters to see what "real life" will be like when she grows up.
Part 1: What does Briony think romance and love should include?
Part 2: What do you think Cecilia uses as a definition of love and romance? What does love include, according to her?
Part 3: Cite two examples of love relationships in this story. What do they have to say about the idea of love and its ability to heal and to hurt?
Essay Topic 2
The library scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that can shock readers, while also causing them to learn more about these two characters and their feelings for each other.
Part 1: Why do you think this scene was narrated by Robbie instead of Cecilia?
Part 2: How did you feel about Robbie before the scene? After the scene?
Part 3: How does this scene show the true feelings between these two characters?
Essay Topic 3
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)