Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Leon seen Briony doing by the lake?
2. Where does Robbie want to go, with the help of the money of Jack Tallis?
3. What does the person in #80 end up doing in response to Briony's refusal to acknowledge them?
4. What does Marshall give to the children in this room as he is talking to them?
5. How many strokes of nettles does it take for Briony to be free of her show-off years and reliance on her mother's good opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Briony want to prepare her play to be seen by others?
2. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
3. What is Robbie thinking of as he soaks in a bathtub?
4. What does Cecilia do in order to brighten up the guestroom for Paul Marshall, a friend of her brother's?
5. What are some of the things that Robbie's tiny office contains?
6. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
7. Who does Emily trust to take care of things around the house while she tries to rest?
8. Why is Briony relieved when everyone leaves her alone in the nursery?
9. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
10. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
Essay Topic 1
The letter from Robbie to Cecilia sets off a chain of events in many respects. The importance of this letter cannot be denied.
Part 1: Why does Robbie write this letter in the first place? What is he trying to achieve?
Part 2: Why does Robbie decide to write another letter that is less crude? Why would he have been so crude in the first place?
Part 3: Why is Cecilia not bothered by the crudeness of the letter she does receive? What does this say about her?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Cecilia is one that seems a bit complicated to the reader and to the actual story's movement.
Part 1: Describe the character of Cecilia.
Part 2: Is Cecilia as grown up as she seems to be? Why or why not? Does Cecilia feel she is the adult everyone believes her to be?
Part 3: How is Cecilia affected by the loss of Robbie and by the story of Briony?
Essay Topic 3
Violence also plays a major role in this story, causing characters to be misconstrued and causing characters to create their own explanations.
Part 1: Describe the scene between Robbie and Cecilia which is seen as violence in Briony's eyes.
Part 2: Why do you think Briony mistook this scene for violence?
Part 3: What does the assumption of violence or negative actions (as in when Lola agrees with Briony's assessment of the letter) say about these characters? Why are they so sensitive to the possibility of violence?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)