|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Leon seen Briony doing by the lake?
2. Where does Robbie want to go, with the help of the money of Jack Tallis?
3. What does the person in #80 end up doing in response to Briony's refusal to acknowledge them?
4. What does Marshall give to the children in this room as he is talking to them?
5. How many strokes of nettles does it take for Briony to be free of her show-off years and reliance on her mother's good opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Briony want to prepare her play to be seen by others?
2. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
3. What is Robbie thinking of as he soaks in a bathtub?
4. What does Cecilia do in order to brighten up the guestroom for Paul Marshall, a friend of her brother's?
5. What are some of the things that Robbie's tiny office contains?
6. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
7. Who does Emily trust to take care of things around the house while she tries to rest?
8. Why is Briony relieved when everyone leaves her alone in the nursery?
9. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
10. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
Essay Topic 1
Lies seem to be pervasive in this story, but they seem to be taken as truths or at least ignored for the sake of those involved.
Part 1: What is the lie that Mr. Tallis tells again and again?
Part 2: Why does Emily believe her husband's stories, or at least, why does she live with the lies?
Part 3: What are other lies that are told in this story, other than the one Briony tells about Robbie and Lola? What do these lies do to the characters and to the action of the story?
Essay Topic 2
While it seems this story is one about people, the setting also has something to tell the reader in terms of the characters' behaviors and their interactions.
Part 1: Describe the setting of the story in the first part of the book.
Part 2: Describe the setting in the "1999" section of the book.
Part 3: What does the setting seem to say about the Tallis family? What is the overall mood from start to finish in this setting?
Essay Topic 3
The fountain scene between Robbie and Cecilia is one that begins to turn Briony's attention to darker perceptions of the two characters.
Part 1: Describe what actually happens at the fountain between Robbie and Cecilia.
Part 2: Describe what Briony perceives to have happened during this conversation between the two.
Part 3: Why do you think Cecilia reacted in the scene the way she did? What does this seem to say to Briony?
This section contains 2,096 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)