|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Leon seen Briony doing by the lake?
2. Where does Robbie want to go, with the help of the money of Jack Tallis?
3. What does the person in #80 end up doing in response to Briony's refusal to acknowledge them?
4. What does Marshall give to the children in this room as he is talking to them?
5. How many strokes of nettles does it take for Briony to be free of her show-off years and reliance on her mother's good opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Briony want to prepare her play to be seen by others?
2. When Cecilia puts on the pink dress, who does she think she looks like?
3. What is Robbie thinking of as he soaks in a bathtub?
4. What does Cecilia do in order to brighten up the guestroom for Paul Marshall, a friend of her brother's?
5. What are some of the things that Robbie's tiny office contains?
6. How does Cecilia react to Robbie's apology to her about the note?
7. Who does Emily trust to take care of things around the house while she tries to rest?
8. Why is Briony relieved when everyone leaves her alone in the nursery?
9. Who are the three stragglers that are moving toward a bombed out house as they attempt to find a shortcut to the sea?
10. What does Leon have to say about England in hot weather?
Essay Topic 1
Violence also plays a major role in this story, causing characters to be misconstrued and causing characters to create their own explanations.
Part 1: Describe the scene between Robbie and Cecilia which is seen as violence in Briony's eyes.
Part 2: Why do you think Briony mistook this scene for violence?
Part 3: What does the assumption of violence or negative actions (as in when Lola agrees with Briony's assessment of the letter) say about these characters? Why are they so sensitive to the possibility of violence?
Essay Topic 2
The men of the story seem to play more of a background role, even though they are an integral part of the action.
Part 1: Describe the role of Leon. Who is he and what does he provide for the story?
Part 2: Describe the character of Paul Marshall. Who is he and what does he bring to the story?
Part 3: Describe the character of Robbie. Who is he and what does he bring to the story?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of love and romance is an expected one in a novel containing a young girl who looks to her older sisters to see what "real life" will be like when she grows up.
Part 1: What does Briony think romance and love should include?
Part 2: What do you think Cecilia uses as a definition of love and romance? What does love include, according to her?
Part 3: Cite two examples of love relationships in this story. What do they have to say about the idea of love and its ability to heal and to hurt?
This section contains 2,096 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)