|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Briony's first play production that she has been feverishly preparing?
2. From the window in what room does Lola notice Briony, as answered in question #49?
3. To what age does Robbie's imagination take him as he is thinking about his and Cecilia's future?
4. At what age does Briony write her first short story, allowing for the beginning of her life's writing escapades?
5. What does Briony think is wrong about the scene she just saw between Robbie and Cecilia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Robbie's tiny office contains?
2. What does Briony do when she has finished a piece of writing?
3. What causes Cecilia to stop fixing the vase?
4. Why is Briony relieved when everyone leaves her alone in the nursery?
5. Who pronounces the unthinkable word, "divorce?"
6. What mystery does Briony begin to contemplate as she is looking at her hand?
7. What is the name of the play Briony has been trying to prepare for a few days?
8. What is Briony's reaction to her big brother when he approaches her?
9. Where does Briony imagine herself to be?
10. What does Robbie presume will happen in relation to the funding for his future schooling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tragedy of Briony becomes all the more disturbing when the reader finds out she has an illness at the end of the story.
Part 1: What is the illness of Briony at the end of this book?
Part 2: What does this illness seem to say about the idea of memories?
Part 3: What might this illness be symbolic of within the context of the story? In other words, what might this illness seem to say about the idea of memory and about holding onto one's memories?
Essay Topic 2
The growing up of Briony plays into the overall plot of the story, showing the reader that while she might want to grow up, she isn't quite ready for that adult world.
Part 1: List at least three things that Briony does that shows her immaturity.
Part 2: List at least three things that Briony does that demonstrate that she is growing up in the first part of the book.
Part 3: Has Briony grown up in the second part of the book? Or is she still childish in her interactions and her reactions to Cecilia?
Essay Topic 3
The letter from Robbie to Cecilia sets off a chain of events in many respects. The importance of this letter cannot be denied.
Part 1: Why does Robbie write this letter in the first place? What is he trying to achieve?
Part 2: Why does Robbie decide to write another letter that is less crude? Why would he have been so crude in the first place?
Part 3: Why is Cecilia not bothered by the crudeness of the letter she does receive? What does this say about her?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)