Part 1, Chapter 1
* Briony Tallis has been preparing to stage her first play which will include her cousins as actors.
* Briony has been a writer for a long time.
* Briony's cousins arrive but some are not right for the parts.
* Some of the cousins have arrived because their parents are getting divorced.
* The play is a bit of a disaster.
Part 1, Chapter 2
* Cecilia is home from university and is bored.
* Cecilia places flowers into a vase for Paul Marshall's guest room.
* Robbie tries to help Cecilia with the vase but accidentally breaks it as she refuses his help.
* Robbie takes responsibility but Cecilia instead jumps into the pool to get the broken piece and leaves.
Part 1, Chapter 3
* Briony feels everyone is trying to ruin her play.
* Briony begins to think she should have written a story instead.
* Briony fantasizes that Robby is proposing to Cecilia at the fountain.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)