|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hank realizes that their affair is over. What ended it?
(a) Dagny has fallen in love with John Galt.
(b) Dagny can no longer let Hank cheat on Lillian.
(c) Dagny is infatuated with Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
(d) Dagny wants to return to Francisco now that she understands him.
2. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
(a) Look for the Silver Lining
(b) Beethoven's Ode to Joy
(c) Tomorrow Is Another Day
(d) Halley's Fifth Piano Concerto
3. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
(b) Plants under government controll never fail.
(c) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
(d) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
4. What does the Head of State Thompson want from Galt?
(a) He wants Galt to tell him how to fix the economy.
(b) He wants Galt to give the government his radio technology.
(c) He wants Galt to be his Vice-President.
(d) He wants Galt to leave thecountry and never return.
5. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) Dagny standing by the tracks
(b) Wyatt's Torch
(c) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(d) The wreck of another train
6. What happens to a radio broadcast planned for the Head of State?
(a) Dagny agrees to be a part of the broadcast.
(b) The radio broadcast explains why everything is happening for the good of the people.
(c) John Galt jams their broadcast so that the air is completely dead.
(d) John Galt takes over the broadcast to tell the world what has happened to the disappeared thinkers and producers.
7. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
(a) It is a ploy to keep them from sending her away.
(b) It indicates that she wants to escape the valley.
(c) It describes her work ethic.
(d) It shows that she has little self-esteem.
8. What was John Galt's connection to Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) He was the young engineer building the revolutionary motor.
(b) He once owned that factory.
(c) He once owned the company.
(d) He is Quentin Daniel's father.
9. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
(b) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(c) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(d) She gets help from the police.
10. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
(a) He thinks if people are allowed to create, they don't care about money.
(b) He believes the disappearing executives are wrong.
(c) He does not believe sacrifice is necessary.
(d) Galt is willing to sacrifice his life for the good of society.
11. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
(a) By holding Lillian hostage.
(b) By threatening to expose his affair with Dagny.
(c) By promising him that he can continue to run the company.
(d) By convincing him it is the right thing to do.
12. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
(b) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
(c) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
(d) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
13. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Her disgust with Francisco.
(b) News of the tunnel wreck.
(c) James' telephone call.
(d) Her boredom.
14. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
(a) He suddenly knows who his friend in the cafeteria was.
(b) He understands why he will marry Dagny.
(c) He discovers that James Taggart has been leading a double life.
(d) He realizes that Dagny has been wrong all the time.
15. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
(a) When he gives them his name, the guards moan.
(b) The guards all want his autograph when they find out who he is.
(c) The guards are not afraid of the others even though they have guns.
(d) The guards recognize him from newspaper photos.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James Taggart say that indicates he realizes the seriousness of the situation with the Unification Board?
2. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
3. John Galt is strapped naked to a table with electrodes attached to various parts of his body. What does that symbolize?
4. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
5. What is the significance of John Galt's transmitter that can block anything the government has?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)