|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the police finally locate John Galt?
(a) They put a trace on his radio broadcasts.
(b) They follow Dagny who leads them to her.
(c) They announce that they are holding Dagny hostage.
(d) Eddie Willers accidentally calls him by name at work.
2. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
(a) A refractor ray
(b) A sonic distrubance
(c) It is actually underground
(d) An artificial storm cloud
3. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
(b) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(c) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(d) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
4. What is the significance of John Galt's transmitter that can block anything the government has?
(a) It shows that John Galt is ready to cooperate with the government.
(b) It symbolizes the superiority of industry over communistic ideas.
(c) It symbolizes how it is easy to force other people to think in a certain way.
(d) It symbolizes the guns Galt and his people will use against the society.
5. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
(a) The metaphor of darkness falling over the city.
(b) The metaphor of her door closing behind her.
(c) The metaphor of watching as her train leaves in the darkness.
(d) The metaphor of putting out his cigarette.
6. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
(b) She gets help from the police.
(c) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(d) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
7. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
(a) The people in Atlantis decide to assassinate Galt before he tells everything.
(b) Everything comes to a standstill while they wait for Galt's economic plan.
(c) The people who had disappeared return to help Galt.
(d) More businesses are closing and more great minds are disappearing.
8. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
(a) She will have to crash her plane again.
(b) John Galt, her last key before the door closes forever.
(c) James Taggart will have to be eliminated.
(d) She can return only if Hank decides to come with her.
9. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
(a) The Wet Nurse is there waiting for him.
(b) Phillip is there trying to run the company.
(c) It is in a stage of siege.
(d) All is quite.
10. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
(a) He makes a settlement with them that will keep them in style for life.
(b) He gives Phillip a job and leaves Rearden Metal.
(c) He divorces Lillian and cuts the family off from any financial support from him.
(d) He threatens to kill them all if they don't leave him alone.
11. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
(a) By threatening to expose his affair with Dagny.
(b) By holding Lillian hostage.
(c) By convincing him it is the right thing to do.
(d) By promising him that he can continue to run the company.
12. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
(a) He has lost everyting including his hope of marrying Dagny.
(b) He is left with the responsibility to chronicle everything that has happened.
(c) He has only Dagny's gold cigarette case.
(d) He is now the President of Taggart Transcontinental.
13. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
(a) More businesses and executives disapear.
(b) The government refuses to nationalize businesses to save jobs.
(c) Production on everything increases.
(d) People now have more money to spend.
14. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
(a) She notifies the press in Nebraska.
(b) She takes out an ad in the New York papers.
(c) She goes on the radio to announce that she is all right.
(d) She fakes a plane crash in Nebraska.
15. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
(a) The Vice President who replaced Dagny takes responsibility for the wreck.
(b) James blames Dagny for the Colorado train wreck and the man who replced her suddenly has a heart condition.
(c) James Taggart admits he did not know what to do about Kip Chalmers.
(d) Only Taggart Transcontinental remains strong while other businesses vanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much will it cost Dagny to repair her airplane?
2. What is the irony of Dr. Robert Stadler's death?
3. What is the obvious symbolism of the Project X machine that is so destructive.
4. when Dagny comes to after her plane crashes in the Colorado mountains, who is the first person she sees?
5. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)