|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(b) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(c) She gets help from the police.
(d) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
2. What, according to Rand, is worse than taking someone's life?
(a) Working only for the joy of creation and invention.
(b) Having an affair with a married person.
(c) Refusing to help the poor.
(d) Taking someone's life's work.
3. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
(a) He tells the police that Danneskjtzld is his new bodyguard.
(b) He pretends to shoot Danneskjtzld who plays dead.
(c) He tells the police that Danneskjtzld is James Taggart in disguise.
(d) He pulls a gun on the police and chases them off.
4. What promise does Dagny make before she returns to the outside world?
(a) She will return within one month.
(b) She will destroy the railroad before she returns.
(c) She will bring back Hank when she returns.
(d) She will not reveal anything about it or try to find it again.
5. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
(b) Dr. Hendricks
(c) Halley himself
(d) Hugh Akston
6. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
(a) By their love of work and producing.
(b) By their helplessness.
(c) By their stupidity.
(d) By their greed.
7. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) The wreck of another train
(b) Dagny standing by the tracks
(c) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(d) Wyatt's Torch
8. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
(a) They stop running because of fear after the tunnel wreck.
(b) They are abandoned and the crews vanish.
(c) They all derail.
(d) They run out of coal.
9. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(b) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
(c) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
(d) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
10. After Hank Rearden disappears, what special favor is granted Dagny by the citizens of "Atlantis"?
(a) They allow her to tell everyone where Hank has gone.
(b) They allow her to receive a message from Hank.
(c) They tell her where she can find John Galt.
(d) They give her another invitation to join them.
11. What does Dagny now realize about Francisco?
(a) That he is John Galt.
(b) That he lost his bets on industrialization.
(c) That he never liked running the copper mines.
(d) That he was the first industrialist to quit.
12. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
(a) The metaphor of darkness falling over the city.
(b) The metaphor of watching as her train leaves in the darkness.
(c) The metaphor of her door closing behind her.
(d) The metaphor of putting out his cigarette.
13. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
(a) It is a ploy to keep them from sending her away.
(b) It indicates that she wants to escape the valley.
(c) It shows that she has little self-esteem.
(d) It describes her work ethic.
14. How did Hank know that their affair was over before Dagny told him.
(a) John Galt came and told him.
(b) Francisco sent him a telegram.
(c) During the radio show she had only used past tense.
(d) He heard something different in her voice on the radio.
15. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
(b) That Francisco was her first lover.
(c) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(d) That she could no longer see him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
2. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
3. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
4. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
5. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)