|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
(a) The Wet Nurse is there waiting for him.
(b) It is in a stage of siege.
(c) All is quite.
(d) Phillip is there trying to run the company.
2. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
(a) By their helplessness.
(b) By their love of work and producing.
(c) By their stupidity.
(d) By their greed.
3. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
(a) The decision to use Project F on John Galt to get him to cooperate.
(b) The failure of John Galt to escape.
(c) The devastating destruction of Project X and areas of four states around it.
(d) Dagny giving in to all demands in order to save John Galt.
4. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Directive 10-289
(b) Eddie's resignation
(c) Francisco's telephone call
(d) The closing of the John Galt Line
5. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
(b) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
(c) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
(d) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
6. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
(a) The Vice President who replaced Dagny takes responsibility for the wreck.
(b) James Taggart admits he did not know what to do about Kip Chalmers.
(c) Only Taggart Transcontinental remains strong while other businesses vanish.
(d) James blames Dagny for the Colorado train wreck and the man who replced her suddenly has a heart condition.
7. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
(a) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(b) Cuffy Meigs
(c) John Galt
(d) Eddie Willers
8. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
(a) It takes away material things and destroys the world that capitalism has built.
(b) It shows that absolute power is good for the people in general.
(c) It shows how powerful communism is and there is no way to defeat it.
(d) It defines the limits of a Cold War.
9. Who comes to visit the dejected Dagny at her cabin near Woodstock?
10. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
(a) The guards are not afraid of the others even though they have guns.
(b) The guards all want his autograph when they find out who he is.
(c) When he gives them his name, the guards moan.
(d) The guards recognize him from newspaper photos.
11. How does Galt remove suspicion from Dagny at his capture?
(a) He pushes her out the back door before he lets the police in.
(b) He knocks her unconscious.
(c) He calls her a government stooge.
(d) He pulls a gun on her and tells the police she is his hostage.
12. What is the name of the regulation that effectively kills all creativity in business?
(a) The Business Licensing Act
(b) The Transcontinental Act
(c) The Patents and Copyrights Act
(d) Directive 10-289
13. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
(a) It is actually underground
(b) An artificial storm cloud
(c) A sonic distrubance
(d) A refractor ray
14. What does Danneskjtzld leave behind when he disappears into the darkness?
(a) Another gun for Hank to carry
(b) The number to a bank account
(c) A bar of gold
(d) His calling card
15. Who is the handsome blond man Dagny meets on her first morning in the valley?
(a) John Galt's brother
(b) Sebastian d'Anconia
(c) Richard Halley
(d) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the obvious symbolism of the Project X machine that is so destructive.
2. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
3. How do the police finally locate John Galt?
4. What, according to Rand, is worse than taking someone's life?
5. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)