|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
(b) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
(c) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(d) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
2. What does James Taggart say that indicates he realizes the seriousness of the situation with the Unification Board?
(a) The new regulations are working and we'll all be rich.
(b) We'll soon have a monopoly on everything.
(c) If we are to perish, let's make sure that we all perish together.
(d) The government is going to have to print more money.
3. How much will it cost Dagny to repair her airplane?
(a) $10,000.00 in US dollars
(b) $200.00 in gold
(c) The plane cannot be repaired
(d) Nothing, they do everything there for free
4. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
(a) He knew how to operate a train.
(b) He could finish the work Quentin Daniels had started.
(c) The man, Jeff Allen, once worked at Twentieth Century Motors.
(d) He turned out to be John Galt.
5. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
(a) He never has to ask.
(b) Eddie comes right out and asks him.
(c) He admits it to Eddie but swears him to secrecy.
(d) The cigarette butts with the $ sign in the ashtray.
6. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) Plants under government controll never fail.
(b) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(c) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
(d) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
7. How does John Galt mock the government men when the power goes out at the State Science Institute while he is still strapped to Project F?
(a) He starts telling the technician how to repair the generator.
(b) He loosens his straps and stands up.
(c) He reminds them that he is still alive.
(d) He starts telling bad jokes.
8. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
(a) John Galt, her last key before the door closes forever.
(b) She will have to crash her plane again.
(c) James Taggart will have to be eliminated.
(d) She can return only if Hank decides to come with her.
9. When the east bound Comet stalls in the desert, how are the passengers taken away?
(a) On a produce truck.
(b) On a horse drawn wagon.
(c) On foot.
(d) On buses.
10. What becomes of James Taggart?
(a) He is reduced to base hate and eventually collapses and dies.
(b) He has a chage of heart and rushes to release Galt.
(c) He realizes that he has been wrong all of his life.
(d) He gets sick and runs out of the room.
11. John Galt is strapped naked to a table with electrodes attached to various parts of his body. What does that symbolize?
(a) The impotence of the state and the power of the individual
(b) The power of the state and the vulnerability of the individual
(c) The ultimate victory of the state
(d) The inadequacies of John Galt's beliefs
12. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(b) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
(c) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
(d) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
13. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
(a) He slaps Francisco.
(b) He is afraid that Francisco will discover their affair.
(c) He is happy because he loves both of them.
(d) He thinks Francisco is the destroyer.
14. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
(a) Jim Taggart and Wesley Mouch
(b) Frank Adams and Francisco d'Anconia
(c) Phillip Rearden and Orren boyle
(d) John Galt and Ragnar Danneskjtzld
15. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(b) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
(c) It represents the end of an era.
(d) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the obvious symbolism of the Project X machine that is so destructive.
2. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
3. What does Galt suggest Thompson do if he is sincere about economic reform?
4. What is the name of the regulation that effectively kills all creativity in business?
5. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)