|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
(a) Because she thinks they are very pretty.
(b) Because she forgot her cigarettes in New York.
(c) Because he says she's earned it.
(d) Because she doesn't ask him anything about the cigarettes.
2. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
(a) He is now the President of Taggart Transcontinental.
(b) He is left with the responsibility to chronicle everything that has happened.
(c) He has only Dagny's gold cigarette case.
(d) He has lost everyting including his hope of marrying Dagny.
3. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(b) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(c) She gets help from the police.
(d) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
4. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
(a) He discovers that James Taggart has been leading a double life.
(b) He realizes that Dagny has been wrong all the time.
(c) He suddenly knows who his friend in the cafeteria was.
(d) He understands why he will marry Dagny.
5. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
(a) Only Taggart Transcontinental remains strong while other businesses vanish.
(b) The Vice President who replaced Dagny takes responsibility for the wreck.
(c) James blames Dagny for the Colorado train wreck and the man who replced her suddenly has a heart condition.
(d) James Taggart admits he did not know what to do about Kip Chalmers.
6. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
(a) The US government realizes it will now have to pay more for copper.
(b) The are blown up and the top management disappears.
(c) The mines all prove to be worthless and used up.
(d) The price of copper jumps to an all time high.
7. What, according to Rand, is worse than taking someone's life?
(a) Refusing to help the poor.
(b) Taking someone's life's work.
(c) Having an affair with a married person.
(d) Working only for the joy of creation and invention.
8. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
(a) Her discomfort at being where Francisco is.
(b) Her fear that Hank will not follow her there.
(c) To stay in the valley or return to find satisfaction in work that saves the railroad.
(d) Her belief that she is actually living in a dream.
9. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
(a) She notifies the press in Nebraska.
(b) She goes on the radio to announce that she is all right.
(c) She takes out an ad in the New York papers.
(d) She fakes a plane crash in Nebraska.
10. Ultimately, what is the only light remaining on the earth outside of Atlantis?
(a) Wyatt's Torch
(b) A lighthouse beacon.
(c) The light of the east bound Comet.
(d) The lights of New York City.
11. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
(a) He burns his money in the fireplace.
(b) He gives his money to Lillian.
(c) He buys Cherryl an improbably large diamond.
(d) He gives a hundred dollar bill to a beggar.
12. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
(a) A sonic distrubance
(b) An artificial storm cloud
(c) A refractor ray
(d) It is actually underground
13. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
(a) He didn't want her to change her mind and go back.
(b) New York city disappeared from the face of the earth.
(c) He thought she might get air sick after all the excitement.
(d) He knew the way New York drew people to the city.
14. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
(b) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
(c) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(d) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
15. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(b) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(c) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
(d) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Danneskjtzld contrasts himself with what legendary hero?
2. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
3. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
4. What becomes of James Taggart?
5. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)