|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
(a) At his apartment in the city.
(b) In the ruins of Rearden Metal.
(c) On his walk at night.
(d) In Dagny's cabin.
2. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
(a) He turned out to be John Galt.
(b) The man, Jeff Allen, once worked at Twentieth Century Motors.
(c) He knew how to operate a train.
(d) He could finish the work Quentin Daniels had started.
3. Dagny wants to build a narrow gauge railroad in the valley and then changes her mind. Why?
(a) It will keep her from returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(b) The idea is ridiculous because it would serve no purpose.
(c) She is not an engineer.
(d) She can't do it without Rearden Metal.
4. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It represents the end of an era.
(b) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(c) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(d) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
5. Ultimately, what is the only light remaining on the earth outside of Atlantis?
(a) The light of the east bound Comet.
(b) The lights of New York City.
(c) A lighthouse beacon.
(d) Wyatt's Torch
6. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
(b) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
(c) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
(d) She goes to James to find out what to do.
7. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
(a) She can return only if Hank decides to come with her.
(b) James Taggart will have to be eliminated.
(c) She will have to crash her plane again.
(d) John Galt, her last key before the door closes forever.
8. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) Wyatt's Torch
(b) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(c) Dagny standing by the tracks
(d) The wreck of another train
9. Who is the owner of the valley?
(a) Dr. Hendricks
(b) Francisco d'Anconia
(c) John Galt
(d) Midas Mulligan
10. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(b) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
(c) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(d) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
11. What does Dagny now realize about Francisco?
(a) That he was the first industrialist to quit.
(b) That he never liked running the copper mines.
(c) That he lost his bets on industrialization.
(d) That he is John Galt.
12. What was John Galt's connection to Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) He once owned that factory.
(b) He was the young engineer building the revolutionary motor.
(c) He is Quentin Daniel's father.
(d) He once owned the company.
13. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
(a) John Galt and Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(b) Frank Adams and Francisco d'Anconia
(c) Jim Taggart and Wesley Mouch
(d) Phillip Rearden and Orren boyle
14. How much will it cost Dagny to repair her airplane?
(a) $200.00 in gold
(b) The plane cannot be repaired
(c) Nothing, they do everything there for free
(d) $10,000.00 in US dollars
15. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
(a) John Galt
(b) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(c) Cuffy Meigs
(d) Eddie Willers
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
2. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
3. What does Galt suggest Thompson do if he is sincere about economic reform?
4. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
5. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)