|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
(a) They stop running because of fear after the tunnel wreck.
(b) They are abandoned and the crews vanish.
(c) They run out of coal.
(d) They all derail.
2. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
(a) He suddenly knows who his friend in the cafeteria was.
(b) He realizes that Dagny has been wrong all the time.
(c) He discovers that James Taggart has been leading a double life.
(d) He understands why he will marry Dagny.
3. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
(a) It takes away material things and destroys the world that capitalism has built.
(b) It defines the limits of a Cold War.
(c) It shows how powerful communism is and there is no way to defeat it.
(d) It shows that absolute power is good for the people in general.
4. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(b) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
(c) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
(d) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
5. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
(a) He compares Dagny to the Unification Board.
(b) He compares her now to the time she waited outside Dannager's office.
(c) He suggests that the faceless men will take over.
(d) He says everyone must travel the same road to Atlantis.
6. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
(a) He has only Dagny's gold cigarette case.
(b) He is now the President of Taggart Transcontinental.
(c) He has lost everyting including his hope of marrying Dagny.
(d) He is left with the responsibility to chronicle everything that has happened.
7. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
(b) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(c) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(d) She gets help from the police.
8. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
(a) The guards recognize him from newspaper photos.
(b) When he gives them his name, the guards moan.
(c) The guards are not afraid of the others even though they have guns.
(d) The guards all want his autograph when they find out who he is.
9. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
(a) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) Cuffy Meigs
(d) John Galt
10. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
(a) The failure of John Galt to escape.
(b) The devastating destruction of Project X and areas of four states around it.
(c) The decision to use Project F on John Galt to get him to cooperate.
(d) Dagny giving in to all demands in order to save John Galt.
11. What does Danneskjtzld leave behind when he disappears into the darkness?
(a) Another gun for Hank to carry
(b) The number to a bank account
(c) A bar of gold
(d) His calling card
12. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
(a) A sonic distrubance
(b) It is actually underground
(c) An artificial storm cloud
(d) A refractor ray
13. Ultimately, what is the only light remaining on the earth outside of Atlantis?
(a) A lighthouse beacon.
(b) The lights of New York City.
(c) Wyatt's Torch
(d) The light of the east bound Comet.
14. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
(a) To borrow money so she can leave James.
(b) To ask if she can stay there for the night.
(c) To apologize for what she said on her wedding day.
(d) To accuse her of destroying James.
15. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
(a) To stay in the valley or return to find satisfaction in work that saves the railroad.
(b) Her belief that she is actually living in a dream.
(c) Her fear that Hank will not follow her there.
(d) Her discomfort at being where Francisco is.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
2. What is the irony of Dr. Robert Stadler's death?
3. After Hank Rearden disappears, what special favor is granted Dagny by the citizens of "Atlantis"?
4. Who is the owner of the valley?
5. What was John Galt's connection to Twentieth Century Motors?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)