|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Her boredom.
(b) News of the tunnel wreck.
(c) Her disgust with Francisco.
(d) James' telephone call.
2. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
(a) It is in a stage of siege.
(b) The Wet Nurse is there waiting for him.
(c) Phillip is there trying to run the company.
(d) All is quite.
3. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
(a) John Galt
(b) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(c) Eddie Willers
(d) Cuffy Meigs
4. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
(a) She fakes a plane crash in Nebraska.
(b) She takes out an ad in the New York papers.
(c) She notifies the press in Nebraska.
(d) She goes on the radio to announce that she is all right.
5. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
(a) Phillip Rearden and Orren boyle
(b) John Galt and Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(c) Frank Adams and Francisco d'Anconia
(d) Jim Taggart and Wesley Mouch
6. How does John Galt mock the government men when the power goes out at the State Science Institute while he is still strapped to Project F?
(a) He starts telling the technician how to repair the generator.
(b) He starts telling bad jokes.
(c) He reminds them that he is still alive.
(d) He loosens his straps and stands up.
7. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
(b) She goes to James to find out what to do.
(c) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
(d) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
8. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
(a) It shows how powerful communism is and there is no way to defeat it.
(b) It shows that absolute power is good for the people in general.
(c) It takes away material things and destroys the world that capitalism has built.
(d) It defines the limits of a Cold War.
9. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
(a) He discovers that James Taggart has been leading a double life.
(b) He realizes that Dagny has been wrong all the time.
(c) He understands why he will marry Dagny.
(d) He suddenly knows who his friend in the cafeteria was.
10. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(b) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
(c) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(d) It represents the end of an era.
11. Who flies over the valley looking for Dagny but cannot see the community below?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) Jim Taggart
(d) Phillip Rearden
12. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
(a) The people who had disappeared return to help Galt.
(b) Everything comes to a standstill while they wait for Galt's economic plan.
(c) The people in Atlantis decide to assassinate Galt before he tells everything.
(d) More businesses are closing and more great minds are disappearing.
13. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
(a) He turned out to be John Galt.
(b) The man, Jeff Allen, once worked at Twentieth Century Motors.
(c) He could finish the work Quentin Daniels had started.
(d) He knew how to operate a train.
14. What promise does Dagny make before she returns to the outside world?
(a) She will not reveal anything about it or try to find it again.
(b) She will bring back Hank when she returns.
(c) She will return within one month.
(d) She will destroy the railroad before she returns.
15. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
(a) She buys a plane and flies there.
(b) She buys a car and drives the rest of the way.
(c) She hitchhikes to Colorado.
(d) She calls Hank to come take her the rest of the way.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
2. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
3. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
4. Who is the handsome blond man Dagny meets on her first morning in the valley?
5. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)