|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
(a) More businesses are closing and more great minds are disappearing.
(b) Everything comes to a standstill while they wait for Galt's economic plan.
(c) The people who had disappeared return to help Galt.
(d) The people in Atlantis decide to assassinate Galt before he tells everything.
2. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
(a) To apologize for what she said on her wedding day.
(b) To borrow money so she can leave James.
(c) To accuse her of destroying James.
(d) To ask if she can stay there for the night.
3. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
(a) Beethoven's Ode to Joy
(b) Halley's Fifth Piano Concerto
(c) Look for the Silver Lining
(d) Tomorrow Is Another Day
4. Why does Lillian come to see James Taggart?
(a) She thinks he is a handsome, desirable man.
(b) Lillian wants to find out more dirt on Dagny.
(c) Lillian wants to get rid of Cherryl because she is so common.
(d) She thinks he is powerful enough to stop Hank from divorcing her.
5. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
(a) Jim Taggart and Wesley Mouch
(b) Phillip Rearden and Orren boyle
(c) Frank Adams and Francisco d'Anconia
(d) John Galt and Ragnar Danneskjtzld
6. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That Francisco was her first lover.
(b) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
(c) That she could no longer see him.
(d) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
7. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
(a) Because he says she's earned it.
(b) Because she forgot her cigarettes in New York.
(c) Because she doesn't ask him anything about the cigarettes.
(d) Because she thinks they are very pretty.
8. What does Galt suggest Thompson do if he is sincere about economic reform?
(a) Abolish income taxes and fire all government employees.
(b) Set up a commission to regulate the flow of money.
(c) Raise taxes and close all non-essential businesses.
(d) Divide all the money in the country evenly between all adults.
9. What is the irony of Dr. Robert Stadler's death?
(a) He had always protected John Galt from men like Meigs.
(b) He was killed in the place he had run to for safety.
(c) He went bravely to his death still believing he was right.
(d) He was killed trying to save the world.
10. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(b) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(c) She gets help from the police.
(d) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
11. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(b) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(c) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
(d) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
12. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
(a) A refractor ray
(b) A sonic distrubance
(c) It is actually underground
(d) An artificial storm cloud
13. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
(a) He never has to ask.
(b) The cigarette butts with the $ sign in the ashtray.
(c) He admits it to Eddie but swears him to secrecy.
(d) Eddie comes right out and asks him.
14. How does Galt remove suspicion from Dagny at his capture?
(a) He pushes her out the back door before he lets the police in.
(b) He pulls a gun on her and tells the police she is his hostage.
(c) He calls her a government stooge.
(d) He knocks her unconscious.
15. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
(a) The Wet Nurse is there waiting for him.
(b) It is in a stage of siege.
(c) Phillip is there trying to run the company.
(d) All is quite.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
2. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
3. Hank realizes that their affair is over. What ended it?
4. After Hank Rearden disappears, what special favor is granted Dagny by the citizens of "Atlantis"?
5. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)