|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. when Dagny comes to after her plane crashes in the Colorado mountains, who is the first person she sees?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Quentin Daniels
(c) Francisco d'Anconia
(d) John Galt
2. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
(a) It shows that absolute power is good for the people in general.
(b) It shows how powerful communism is and there is no way to defeat it.
(c) It defines the limits of a Cold War.
(d) It takes away material things and destroys the world that capitalism has built.
3. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
(a) He threatens to kill them all if they don't leave him alone.
(b) He makes a settlement with them that will keep them in style for life.
(c) He gives Phillip a job and leaves Rearden Metal.
(d) He divorces Lillian and cuts the family off from any financial support from him.
4. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
(b) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
(c) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(d) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
5. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
(a) He tells the police that Danneskjtzld is James Taggart in disguise.
(b) He pulls a gun on the police and chases them off.
(c) He tells the police that Danneskjtzld is his new bodyguard.
(d) He pretends to shoot Danneskjtzld who plays dead.
6. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
(a) The need for Rearden Metal to decrease its production.
(b) Rearden's refusal to make steel.
(c) A plan to return Rearden Metal to Hank.
(d) The steel workers strike demanding higher wages.
7. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
(a) She notifies the press in Nebraska.
(b) She goes on the radio to announce that she is all right.
(c) She takes out an ad in the New York papers.
(d) She fakes a plane crash in Nebraska.
8. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
(c) Might makes right
9. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That Francisco was her first lover.
(b) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(c) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
(d) That she could no longer see him.
10. What does Galt suggest Thompson do if he is sincere about economic reform?
(a) Divide all the money in the country evenly between all adults.
(b) Abolish income taxes and fire all government employees.
(c) Raise taxes and close all non-essential businesses.
(d) Set up a commission to regulate the flow of money.
11. How did Hank know that their affair was over before Dagny told him.
(a) During the radio show she had only used past tense.
(b) John Galt came and told him.
(c) Francisco sent him a telegram.
(d) He heard something different in her voice on the radio.
12. What does the Head of State Thompson want from Galt?
(a) He wants Galt to tell him how to fix the economy.
(b) He wants Galt to be his Vice-President.
(c) He wants Galt to give the government his radio technology.
(d) He wants Galt to leave thecountry and never return.
13. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
(a) To ask if she can stay there for the night.
(b) To accuse her of destroying James.
(c) To apologize for what she said on her wedding day.
(d) To borrow money so she can leave James.
14. In the former hotel suite of Francisco d'Anconia, what is the subtle meaning of that location when Rearden meets Mouch and the "Washington boys"?
(a) It demonstrates the equality of the bosses and the people.
(b) It shows high regard for Francisco and all he stands for.
(c) It shames Rearden because he can no longer afford such luxury.
(d) In a socialist society, those in power do not give up luxuries.
15. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
(a) By their helplessness.
(b) By their love of work and producing.
(c) By their greed.
(d) By their stupidity.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
2. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
3. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
4. Who is the handsome blond man Dagny meets on her first morning in the valley?
5. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)