|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
(a) James Taggart admits he did not know what to do about Kip Chalmers.
(b) The Vice President who replaced Dagny takes responsibility for the wreck.
(c) James blames Dagny for the Colorado train wreck and the man who replced her suddenly has a heart condition.
(d) Only Taggart Transcontinental remains strong while other businesses vanish.
2. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
(a) Eddie comes right out and asks him.
(b) The cigarette butts with the $ sign in the ashtray.
(c) He admits it to Eddie but swears him to secrecy.
(d) He never has to ask.
3. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
(b) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
(c) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
(d) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
4. What does Galt suggest Thompson do if he is sincere about economic reform?
(a) Raise taxes and close all non-essential businesses.
(b) Set up a commission to regulate the flow of money.
(c) Abolish income taxes and fire all government employees.
(d) Divide all the money in the country evenly between all adults.
5. Who comes to visit the dejected Dagny at her cabin near Woodstock?
6. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
(a) He makes a settlement with them that will keep them in style for life.
(b) He divorces Lillian and cuts the family off from any financial support from him.
(c) He threatens to kill them all if they don't leave him alone.
(d) He gives Phillip a job and leaves Rearden Metal.
7. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
(a) New York city disappeared from the face of the earth.
(b) He didn't want her to change her mind and go back.
(c) He knew the way New York drew people to the city.
(d) He thought she might get air sick after all the excitement.
8. Why does the siege represent a "Concerto of Deliverance"?
(a) After this, Rearden will regain control of his business.
(b) It marks Hanks deliverance from Lillian and Phillip.
(c) It suggest the theme of delivering Rearden Steel to the workers.
(d) It marks the final movement when Francisco can tell everyting to Hank Rearden.
9. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
(a) He pulls a gun on the police and chases them off.
(b) He tells the police that Danneskjtzld is James Taggart in disguise.
(c) He tells the police that Danneskjtzld is his new bodyguard.
(d) He pretends to shoot Danneskjtzld who plays dead.
10. What does Dagny now realize about Francisco?
(a) That he is John Galt.
(b) That he never liked running the copper mines.
(c) That he lost his bets on industrialization.
(d) That he was the first industrialist to quit.
11. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
(a) They are abandoned and the crews vanish.
(b) They run out of coal.
(c) They all derail.
(d) They stop running because of fear after the tunnel wreck.
12. What promise does Dagny make before she returns to the outside world?
(a) She will not reveal anything about it or try to find it again.
(b) She will return within one month.
(c) She will destroy the railroad before she returns.
(d) She will bring back Hank when she returns.
13. What happens to a radio broadcast planned for the Head of State?
(a) Dagny agrees to be a part of the broadcast.
(b) The radio broadcast explains why everything is happening for the good of the people.
(c) John Galt takes over the broadcast to tell the world what has happened to the disappeared thinkers and producers.
(d) John Galt jams their broadcast so that the air is completely dead.
14. Hank realizes that their affair is over. What ended it?
(a) Dagny is infatuated with Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
(b) Dagny can no longer let Hank cheat on Lillian.
(c) Dagny wants to return to Francisco now that she understands him.
(d) Dagny has fallen in love with John Galt.
15. What does the Head of State Thompson want from Galt?
(a) He wants Galt to give the government his radio technology.
(b) He wants Galt to leave thecountry and never return.
(c) He wants Galt to tell him how to fix the economy.
(d) He wants Galt to be his Vice-President.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who flies over the valley looking for Dagny but cannot see the community below?
2. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
3. John Galt is strapped naked to a table with electrodes attached to various parts of his body. What does that symbolize?
4. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
5. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)