|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She goes to James to find out what to do.
(b) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
(c) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
(d) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
2. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
(a) Production on everything increases.
(b) People now have more money to spend.
(c) More businesses and executives disapear.
(d) The government refuses to nationalize businesses to save jobs.
3. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
(a) James Taggart admits he did not know what to do about Kip Chalmers.
(b) James blames Dagny for the Colorado train wreck and the man who replced her suddenly has a heart condition.
(c) Only Taggart Transcontinental remains strong while other businesses vanish.
(d) The Vice President who replaced Dagny takes responsibility for the wreck.
4. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
(a) She fakes a plane crash in Nebraska.
(b) She notifies the press in Nebraska.
(c) She takes out an ad in the New York papers.
(d) She goes on the radio to announce that she is all right.
5. What is the significance of John Galt's transmitter that can block anything the government has?
(a) It symbolizes the guns Galt and his people will use against the society.
(b) It symbolizes how it is easy to force other people to think in a certain way.
(c) It shows that John Galt is ready to cooperate with the government.
(d) It symbolizes the superiority of industry over communistic ideas.
6. What is the name of the regulation that effectively kills all creativity in business?
(a) The Transcontinental Act
(b) Directive 10-289
(c) The Business Licensing Act
(d) The Patents and Copyrights Act
7. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) Plants under government controll never fail.
(b) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
(c) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
(d) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
8. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
(b) Dr. Hendricks
(c) Hugh Akston
(d) Halley himself
9. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) The closing of the John Galt Line
(b) Francisco's telephone call
(c) Directive 10-289
(d) Eddie's resignation
10. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
(a) Rearden's refusal to make steel.
(b) The need for Rearden Metal to decrease its production.
(c) The steel workers strike demanding higher wages.
(d) A plan to return Rearden Metal to Hank.
11. What happens to a radio broadcast planned for the Head of State?
(a) Dagny agrees to be a part of the broadcast.
(b) John Galt jams their broadcast so that the air is completely dead.
(c) The radio broadcast explains why everything is happening for the good of the people.
(d) John Galt takes over the broadcast to tell the world what has happened to the disappeared thinkers and producers.
12. What does Dagny now realize about Francisco?
(a) That he lost his bets on industrialization.
(b) That he was the first industrialist to quit.
(c) That he never liked running the copper mines.
(d) That he is John Galt.
13. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
(a) She buys a plane and flies there.
(b) She buys a car and drives the rest of the way.
(c) She calls Hank to come take her the rest of the way.
(d) She hitchhikes to Colorado.
14. Who is the handsome blond man Dagny meets on her first morning in the valley?
(a) Richard Halley
(b) John Galt's brother
(c) Sebastian d'Anconia
(d) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
15. What promise does Dagny make before she returns to the outside world?
(a) She will return within one month.
(b) She will destroy the railroad before she returns.
(c) She will bring back Hank when she returns.
(d) She will not reveal anything about it or try to find it again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit the dejected Dagny at her cabin near Woodstock?
2. When the east bound Comet stalls in the desert, how are the passengers taken away?
3. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
4. when Dagny comes to after her plane crashes in the Colorado mountains, who is the first person she sees?
5. Why does the siege represent a "Concerto of Deliverance"?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)