|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
(a) By their greed.
(b) By their love of work and producing.
(c) By their helplessness.
(d) By their stupidity.
2. How does John Galt mock the government men when the power goes out at the State Science Institute while he is still strapped to Project F?
(a) He reminds them that he is still alive.
(b) He starts telling bad jokes.
(c) He starts telling the technician how to repair the generator.
(d) He loosens his straps and stands up.
3. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
(a) By promising him that he can continue to run the company.
(b) By threatening to expose his affair with Dagny.
(c) By holding Lillian hostage.
(d) By convincing him it is the right thing to do.
4. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She gets help from the police.
(b) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(c) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
(d) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
5. What is the significance of John Galt's transmitter that can block anything the government has?
(a) It symbolizes the superiority of industry over communistic ideas.
(b) It symbolizes the guns Galt and his people will use against the society.
(c) It shows that John Galt is ready to cooperate with the government.
(d) It symbolizes how it is easy to force other people to think in a certain way.
6. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Her boredom.
(b) Her disgust with Francisco.
(c) James' telephone call.
(d) News of the tunnel wreck.
7. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
(a) James Taggart admits he did not know what to do about Kip Chalmers.
(b) James blames Dagny for the Colorado train wreck and the man who replced her suddenly has a heart condition.
(c) The Vice President who replaced Dagny takes responsibility for the wreck.
(d) Only Taggart Transcontinental remains strong while other businesses vanish.
8. What has happened to Dagny during the time that John Galt was recaptured and taken away?
(a) She jumps to her death out of her apartment window.
(b) She offers to tell everything she knows in exchange for John's life.
(c) She gets a gun and goes looking for Eddie Willers.
(d) She decides to join the others at Atlantis.
9. Who comes to visit the dejected Dagny at her cabin near Woodstock?
10. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
(c) Might makes right
11. Danneskjtzld contrasts himself with what legendary hero?
(c) Robin Hood
12. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
(a) Halley himself
(b) Dr. Hendricks
(d) Hugh Akston
13. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
(b) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
(c) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
(d) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
14. John Galt is strapped naked to a table with electrodes attached to various parts of his body. What does that symbolize?
(a) The power of the state and the vulnerability of the individual
(b) The impotence of the state and the power of the individual
(c) The ultimate victory of the state
(d) The inadequacies of John Galt's beliefs
15. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
(b) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(c) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
(d) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
2. Why does the siege represent a "Concerto of Deliverance"?
3. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
4. Who flies over the valley looking for Dagny but cannot see the community below?
5. What news was in the letter the doorman had held for Dagny for a week?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)