|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
(a) The guards recognize him from newspaper photos.
(b) When he gives them his name, the guards moan.
(c) The guards are not afraid of the others even though they have guns.
(d) The guards all want his autograph when they find out who he is.
2. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Directive 10-289
(b) The closing of the John Galt Line
(c) Eddie's resignation
(d) Francisco's telephone call
3. How did Hank know that their affair was over before Dagny told him.
(a) Francisco sent him a telegram.
(b) During the radio show she had only used past tense.
(c) John Galt came and told him.
(d) He heard something different in her voice on the radio.
4. How does John Galt mock the government men when the power goes out at the State Science Institute while he is still strapped to Project F?
(a) He starts telling bad jokes.
(b) He loosens his straps and stands up.
(c) He reminds them that he is still alive.
(d) He starts telling the technician how to repair the generator.
5. How does James Taggart retain his position as President of Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) His marriage to Cherryl which shows he is for the people.
(b) He pays exhorbitant bribes.
(c) He joins the influence peddlers from Washington.
(d) His firing of Dagny.
6. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
(b) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
(c) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
(d) She goes to James to find out what to do.
7. What does Galt suggest Thompson do if he is sincere about economic reform?
(a) Set up a commission to regulate the flow of money.
(b) Abolish income taxes and fire all government employees.
(c) Raise taxes and close all non-essential businesses.
(d) Divide all the money in the country evenly between all adults.
8. When the east bound Comet stalls in the desert, how are the passengers taken away?
(a) On a produce truck.
(b) On a horse drawn wagon.
(c) On foot.
(d) On buses.
9. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
(a) Because she forgot her cigarettes in New York.
(b) Because he says she's earned it.
(c) Because she thinks they are very pretty.
(d) Because she doesn't ask him anything about the cigarettes.
10. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
(a) She fakes a plane crash in Nebraska.
(b) She goes on the radio to announce that she is all right.
(c) She notifies the press in Nebraska.
(d) She takes out an ad in the New York papers.
11. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
(a) To stay in the valley or return to find satisfaction in work that saves the railroad.
(b) Her fear that Hank will not follow her there.
(c) Her discomfort at being where Francisco is.
(d) Her belief that she is actually living in a dream.
12. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
(b) That Francisco was her first lover.
(c) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(d) That she could no longer see him.
13. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
(a) They all derail.
(b) They run out of coal.
(c) They are abandoned and the crews vanish.
(d) They stop running because of fear after the tunnel wreck.
14. How much will it cost Dagny to repair her airplane?
(a) The plane cannot be repaired
(b) $200.00 in gold
(c) $10,000.00 in US dollars
(d) Nothing, they do everything there for free
15. Who is the handsome blond man Dagny meets on her first morning in the valley?
(a) Richard Halley
(b) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(c) Sebastian d'Anconia
(d) John Galt's brother
Short Answer Questions
1. John Galt is strapped naked to a table with electrodes attached to various parts of his body. What does that symbolize?
2. After Hank Rearden disappears, what special favor is granted Dagny by the citizens of "Atlantis"?
3. What happens to a radio broadcast planned for the Head of State?
4. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
5. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)