|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the handsome blond man Dagny meets on her first morning in the valley?
(a) Sebastian d'Anconia
(b) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(c) Richard Halley
(d) John Galt's brother
2. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(b) Plants under government controll never fail.
(c) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
(d) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
3. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
(a) He compares Dagny to the Unification Board.
(b) He compares her now to the time she waited outside Dannager's office.
(c) He says everyone must travel the same road to Atlantis.
(d) He suggests that the faceless men will take over.
4. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
(b) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
(c) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
(d) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
5. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) News of the tunnel wreck.
(b) James' telephone call.
(c) Her disgust with Francisco.
(d) Her boredom.
6. What is the obvious symbolism of the Project X machine that is so destructive.
(a) The power of industrialists to destroy the world.
(b) The noise of a rock concert.
(c) The need for greater and greater weapons.
(d) The atomic bomb.
7. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
(b) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
(c) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
(d) She goes to James to find out what to do.
8. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
(a) She hitchhikes to Colorado.
(b) She buys a plane and flies there.
(c) She calls Hank to come take her the rest of the way.
(d) She buys a car and drives the rest of the way.
9. What is the irony of Dr. Robert Stadler's death?
(a) He was killed trying to save the world.
(b) He was killed in the place he had run to for safety.
(c) He went bravely to his death still believing he was right.
(d) He had always protected John Galt from men like Meigs.
10. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
(a) By convincing him it is the right thing to do.
(b) By holding Lillian hostage.
(c) By promising him that he can continue to run the company.
(d) By threatening to expose his affair with Dagny.
11. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
(a) Eddie comes right out and asks him.
(b) The cigarette butts with the $ sign in the ashtray.
(c) He never has to ask.
(d) He admits it to Eddie but swears him to secrecy.
12. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
(a) The decision to use Project F on John Galt to get him to cooperate.
(b) The devastating destruction of Project X and areas of four states around it.
(c) The failure of John Galt to escape.
(d) Dagny giving in to all demands in order to save John Galt.
13. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
(a) It is actually underground
(b) A refractor ray
(c) An artificial storm cloud
(d) A sonic distrubance
14. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
(b) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
(c) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(d) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
15. Hank realizes that their affair is over. What ended it?
(a) Dagny has fallen in love with John Galt.
(b) Dagny is infatuated with Ragnar Danneskjtzld.
(c) Dagny can no longer let Hank cheat on Lillian.
(d) Dagny wants to return to Francisco now that she understands him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
2. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
3. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
4. How does Dagny let it be known that she is back after her plane crashed?
5. How do the police finally locate John Galt?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)