|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
(a) On his walk at night.
(b) In Dagny's cabin.
(c) In the ruins of Rearden Metal.
(d) At his apartment in the city.
2. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That Francisco was her first lover.
(b) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(c) That she could no longer see him.
(d) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
3. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
(a) He does not believe sacrifice is necessary.
(b) He thinks if people are allowed to create, they don't care about money.
(c) He believes the disappearing executives are wrong.
(d) Galt is willing to sacrifice his life for the good of society.
4. Who comes to visit the dejected Dagny at her cabin near Woodstock?
5. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
(a) Brother, you asked for it! Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastian d'Anconia.
(b) Wanted: Someone who knows how to run a steel plant.
(c) We know who John Galt is.
(d) We declare a four day work week starting immediately.
6. Who flies over the valley looking for Dagny but cannot see the community below?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Phillip Rearden
(c) Jim Taggart
(d) Eddie Willers
7. How does John Galt mock the government men when the power goes out at the State Science Institute while he is still strapped to Project F?
(a) He loosens his straps and stands up.
(b) He starts telling bad jokes.
(c) He reminds them that he is still alive.
(d) He starts telling the technician how to repair the generator.
8. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
(a) He thinks Francisco is the destroyer.
(b) He is afraid that Francisco will discover their affair.
(c) He slaps Francisco.
(d) He is happy because he loves both of them.
9. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
(a) He gives a hundred dollar bill to a beggar.
(b) He gives his money to Lillian.
(c) He buys Cherryl an improbably large diamond.
(d) He burns his money in the fireplace.
10. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
(a) It takes away material things and destroys the world that capitalism has built.
(b) It shows that absolute power is good for the people in general.
(c) It shows how powerful communism is and there is no way to defeat it.
(d) It defines the limits of a Cold War.
11. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
(a) He discovers that James Taggart has been leading a double life.
(b) He understands why he will marry Dagny.
(c) He realizes that Dagny has been wrong all the time.
(d) He suddenly knows who his friend in the cafeteria was.
12. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
(b) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(c) Plants under government controll never fail.
(d) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
13. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
(a) Because she doesn't ask him anything about the cigarettes.
(b) Because she forgot her cigarettes in New York.
(c) Because she thinks they are very pretty.
(d) Because he says she's earned it.
14. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
(a) People now have more money to spend.
(b) Production on everything increases.
(c) More businesses and executives disapear.
(d) The government refuses to nationalize businesses to save jobs.
15. Why does the siege represent a "Concerto of Deliverance"?
(a) After this, Rearden will regain control of his business.
(b) It suggest the theme of delivering Rearden Steel to the workers.
(c) It marks the final movement when Francisco can tell everyting to Hank Rearden.
(d) It marks Hanks deliverance from Lillian and Phillip.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
2. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
3. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
4. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
5. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)