|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(b) The wreck of another train
(c) Dagny standing by the tracks
(d) Wyatt's Torch
2. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
(a) He divorces Lillian and cuts the family off from any financial support from him.
(b) He threatens to kill them all if they don't leave him alone.
(c) He makes a settlement with them that will keep them in style for life.
(d) He gives Phillip a job and leaves Rearden Metal.
3. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
(a) To borrow money so she can leave James.
(b) To apologize for what she said on her wedding day.
(c) To accuse her of destroying James.
(d) To ask if she can stay there for the night.
4. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(b) That she could no longer see him.
(c) That Francisco was her first lover.
(d) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
5. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
(a) The guards are not afraid of the others even though they have guns.
(b) The guards all want his autograph when they find out who he is.
(c) When he gives them his name, the guards moan.
(d) The guards recognize him from newspaper photos.
6. What is the obvious symbolism of the Project X machine that is so destructive.
(a) The need for greater and greater weapons.
(b) The atomic bomb.
(c) The noise of a rock concert.
(d) The power of industrialists to destroy the world.
7. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
(a) Beethoven's Ode to Joy
(b) Tomorrow Is Another Day
(c) Halley's Fifth Piano Concerto
(d) Look for the Silver Lining
8. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
(a) He pulls a gun on the police and chases them off.
(b) He tells the police that Danneskjtzld is James Taggart in disguise.
(c) He tells the police that Danneskjtzld is his new bodyguard.
(d) He pretends to shoot Danneskjtzld who plays dead.
9. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
(b) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(c) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(d) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
10. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
(a) By their stupidity.
(b) By their helplessness.
(c) By their love of work and producing.
(d) By their greed.
11. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
(a) The metaphor of darkness falling over the city.
(b) The metaphor of her door closing behind her.
(c) The metaphor of watching as her train leaves in the darkness.
(d) The metaphor of putting out his cigarette.
12. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
(a) He says everyone must travel the same road to Atlantis.
(b) He compares Dagny to the Unification Board.
(c) He compares her now to the time she waited outside Dannager's office.
(d) He suggests that the faceless men will take over.
13. How does John Galt mock the government men when the power goes out at the State Science Institute while he is still strapped to Project F?
(a) He reminds them that he is still alive.
(b) He loosens his straps and stands up.
(c) He starts telling bad jokes.
(d) He starts telling the technician how to repair the generator.
14. How do the police finally locate John Galt?
(a) They put a trace on his radio broadcasts.
(b) Eddie Willers accidentally calls him by name at work.
(c) They announce that they are holding Dagny hostage.
(d) They follow Dagny who leads them to her.
15. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
(a) He gives his money to Lillian.
(b) He gives a hundred dollar bill to a beggar.
(c) He burns his money in the fireplace.
(d) He buys Cherryl an improbably large diamond.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
2. Why does Lillian come to see James Taggart?
3. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
4. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
5. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)