|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dagny now realize about Francisco?
(a) That he is John Galt.
(b) That he lost his bets on industrialization.
(c) That he was the first industrialist to quit.
(d) That he never liked running the copper mines.
2. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
(a) John Galt
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(d) Cuffy Meigs
3. Ultimately, what is the only light remaining on the earth outside of Atlantis?
(a) The light of the east bound Comet.
(b) A lighthouse beacon.
(c) Wyatt's Torch
(d) The lights of New York City.
4. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
(a) A plan to return Rearden Metal to Hank.
(b) The need for Rearden Metal to decrease its production.
(c) The steel workers strike demanding higher wages.
(d) Rearden's refusal to make steel.
5. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
(a) Halley's Fifth Piano Concerto
(b) Look for the Silver Lining
(c) Tomorrow Is Another Day
(d) Beethoven's Ode to Joy
6. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
(b) Dr. Hendricks
(c) Halley himself
(d) Hugh Akston
7. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
(a) The cigarette butts with the $ sign in the ashtray.
(b) He never has to ask.
(c) Eddie comes right out and asks him.
(d) He admits it to Eddie but swears him to secrecy.
8. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(b) The wreck of another train
(c) Dagny standing by the tracks
(d) Wyatt's Torch
9. In the former hotel suite of Francisco d'Anconia, what is the subtle meaning of that location when Rearden meets Mouch and the "Washington boys"?
(a) It shows high regard for Francisco and all he stands for.
(b) It demonstrates the equality of the bosses and the people.
(c) In a socialist society, those in power do not give up luxuries.
(d) It shames Rearden because he can no longer afford such luxury.
10. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
(a) The Vice President who replaced Dagny takes responsibility for the wreck.
(b) James Taggart admits he did not know what to do about Kip Chalmers.
(c) James blames Dagny for the Colorado train wreck and the man who replced her suddenly has a heart condition.
(d) Only Taggart Transcontinental remains strong while other businesses vanish.
11. Who flies over the valley looking for Dagny but cannot see the community below?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) Phillip Rearden
(d) Jim Taggart
12. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(b) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
(c) That she could no longer see him.
(d) That Francisco was her first lover.
13. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
(c) Might makes right
14. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) News of the tunnel wreck.
(b) Her boredom.
(c) Her disgust with Francisco.
(d) James' telephone call.
15. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
(a) People now have more money to spend.
(b) More businesses and executives disapear.
(c) The government refuses to nationalize businesses to save jobs.
(d) Production on everything increases.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
2. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
3. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
4. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
5. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)