|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
(b) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(c) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
(d) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
2. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
(a) He makes a settlement with them that will keep them in style for life.
(b) He divorces Lillian and cuts the family off from any financial support from him.
(c) He gives Phillip a job and leaves Rearden Metal.
(d) He threatens to kill them all if they don't leave him alone.
3. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(b) It represents the end of an era.
(c) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
(d) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
4. What causes Dagny to return to Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Her disgust with Francisco.
(b) Her boredom.
(c) James' telephone call.
(d) News of the tunnel wreck.
5. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
(b) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
(c) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(d) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
6. What was John Galt's connection to Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) He once owned that factory.
(b) He once owned the company.
(c) He is Quentin Daniel's father.
(d) He was the young engineer building the revolutionary motor.
7. How has Cherryl changed from the dime store clerk James married?
(a) Now she has risen in poise and social stature.
(b) She has even less of an idea about things than she did when they married.
(c) she has learned how to get more and more money out of James.
(d) She is no longer innocent but plays the part of a shop girl to fool society.
8. What does James Taggart say that indicates he realizes the seriousness of the situation with the Unification Board?
(a) The new regulations are working and we'll all be rich.
(b) If we are to perish, let's make sure that we all perish together.
(c) We'll soon have a monopoly on everything.
(d) The government is going to have to print more money.
9. In the former hotel suite of Francisco d'Anconia, what is the subtle meaning of that location when Rearden meets Mouch and the "Washington boys"?
(a) In a socialist society, those in power do not give up luxuries.
(b) It shows high regard for Francisco and all he stands for.
(c) It shames Rearden because he can no longer afford such luxury.
(d) It demonstrates the equality of the bosses and the people.
10. What has happened to Dagny during the time that John Galt was recaptured and taken away?
(a) She gets a gun and goes looking for Eddie Willers.
(b) She decides to join the others at Atlantis.
(c) She jumps to her death out of her apartment window.
(d) She offers to tell everything she knows in exchange for John's life.
11. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
(a) More businesses and executives disapear.
(b) Production on everything increases.
(c) The government refuses to nationalize businesses to save jobs.
(d) People now have more money to spend.
12. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
(a) She buys a car and drives the rest of the way.
(b) She hitchhikes to Colorado.
(c) She calls Hank to come take her the rest of the way.
(d) She buys a plane and flies there.
13. How do the police finally locate John Galt?
(a) Eddie Willers accidentally calls him by name at work.
(b) They put a trace on his radio broadcasts.
(c) They announce that they are holding Dagny hostage.
(d) They follow Dagny who leads them to her.
14. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
(a) He buys Cherryl an improbably large diamond.
(b) He gives his money to Lillian.
(c) He gives a hundred dollar bill to a beggar.
(d) He burns his money in the fireplace.
15. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
(a) He turned out to be John Galt.
(b) He knew how to operate a train.
(c) He could finish the work Quentin Daniels had started.
(d) The man, Jeff Allen, once worked at Twentieth Century Motors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
2. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
3. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
4. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
5. When Dagny, Hank, Francisco and Ragnar storm the Project F building, what indicates that Ragnar's reputation has preceded him?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)