|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(b) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(c) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
(d) It represents the end of an era.
2. What happens to a radio broadcast planned for the Head of State?
(a) John Galt takes over the broadcast to tell the world what has happened to the disappeared thinkers and producers.
(b) John Galt jams their broadcast so that the air is completely dead.
(c) Dagny agrees to be a part of the broadcast.
(d) The radio broadcast explains why everything is happening for the good of the people.
3. What was John Galt's connection to Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) He was the young engineer building the revolutionary motor.
(b) He once owned that factory.
(c) He once owned the company.
(d) He is Quentin Daniel's father.
4. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
(a) Because he will want to keep on helping Dagny.
(b) Because he always caves in.
(c) Because producing is in his blood.
(d) Because he would be bored if he did nothing.
5. How does John Galt mock the government men when the power goes out at the State Science Institute while he is still strapped to Project F?
(a) He reminds them that he is still alive.
(b) He starts telling bad jokes.
(c) He loosens his straps and stands up.
(d) He starts telling the technician how to repair the generator.
6. What does Dagny now realize about Francisco?
(a) That he is John Galt.
(b) That he never liked running the copper mines.
(c) That he was the first industrialist to quit.
(d) That he lost his bets on industrialization.
7. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
(a) She will have to crash her plane again.
(b) John Galt, her last key before the door closes forever.
(c) James Taggart will have to be eliminated.
(d) She can return only if Hank decides to come with her.
8. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
(a) The people who had disappeared return to help Galt.
(b) Everything comes to a standstill while they wait for Galt's economic plan.
(c) The people in Atlantis decide to assassinate Galt before he tells everything.
(d) More businesses are closing and more great minds are disappearing.
9. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
(b) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(c) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(d) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
10. When the east bound Comet stalls in the desert, how are the passengers taken away?
(a) On a produce truck.
(b) On foot.
(c) On buses.
(d) On a horse drawn wagon.
11. Why does the siege represent a "Concerto of Deliverance"?
(a) It marks Hanks deliverance from Lillian and Phillip.
(b) After this, Rearden will regain control of his business.
(c) It suggest the theme of delivering Rearden Steel to the workers.
(d) It marks the final movement when Francisco can tell everyting to Hank Rearden.
12. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
(b) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(c) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
(d) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
13. Who comes to visit the dejected Dagny at her cabin near Woodstock?
14. In the former hotel suite of Francisco d'Anconia, what is the subtle meaning of that location when Rearden meets Mouch and the "Washington boys"?
(a) In a socialist society, those in power do not give up luxuries.
(b) It shows high regard for Francisco and all he stands for.
(c) It demonstrates the equality of the bosses and the people.
(d) It shames Rearden because he can no longer afford such luxury.
15. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
(a) It is a ploy to keep them from sending her away.
(b) It indicates that she wants to escape the valley.
(c) It shows that she has little self-esteem.
(d) It describes her work ethic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
2. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
3. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
4. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
5. What does Danneskjtzld leave behind when he disappears into the darkness?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)