|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(b) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
(c) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(d) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
2. What promise does Dagny make before she returns to the outside world?
(a) She will bring back Hank when she returns.
(b) She will destroy the railroad before she returns.
(c) She will not reveal anything about it or try to find it again.
(d) She will return within one month.
3. What is the name of the regulation that effectively kills all creativity in business?
(a) The Transcontinental Act
(b) The Patents and Copyrights Act
(c) Directive 10-289
(d) The Business Licensing Act
4. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
(a) He buys Cherryl an improbably large diamond.
(b) He gives a hundred dollar bill to a beggar.
(c) He burns his money in the fireplace.
(d) He gives his money to Lillian.
5. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
(a) Eddie Willers
(b) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(c) John Galt
(d) Cuffy Meigs
6. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
(a) By their greed.
(b) By their love of work and producing.
(c) By their stupidity.
(d) By their helplessness.
7. When the east bound Comet stalls in the desert, how are the passengers taken away?
(a) On foot.
(b) On a produce truck.
(c) On buses.
(d) On a horse drawn wagon.
8. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
(a) She will have to crash her plane again.
(b) James Taggart will have to be eliminated.
(c) She can return only if Hank decides to come with her.
(d) John Galt, her last key before the door closes forever.
9. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
(a) He knew the way New York drew people to the city.
(b) New York city disappeared from the face of the earth.
(c) He thought she might get air sick after all the excitement.
(d) He didn't want her to change her mind and go back.
10. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
(c) Might makes right
11. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
(a) He is afraid that Francisco will discover their affair.
(b) He is happy because he loves both of them.
(c) He thinks Francisco is the destroyer.
(d) He slaps Francisco.
12. How much will it cost Dagny to repair her airplane?
(a) $200.00 in gold
(b) Nothing, they do everything there for free
(c) $10,000.00 in US dollars
(d) The plane cannot be repaired
13. What is the obvious symbolism of the Project X machine that is so destructive.
(a) The power of industrialists to destroy the world.
(b) The need for greater and greater weapons.
(c) The noise of a rock concert.
(d) The atomic bomb.
14. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
(a) He says everyone must travel the same road to Atlantis.
(b) He compares her now to the time she waited outside Dannager's office.
(c) He compares Dagny to the Unification Board.
(d) He suggests that the faceless men will take over.
15. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
(a) The decision to use Project F on John Galt to get him to cooperate.
(b) The failure of John Galt to escape.
(c) Dagny giving in to all demands in order to save John Galt.
(d) The devastating destruction of Project X and areas of four states around it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
2. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
3. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
4. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
5. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)