|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
(a) It takes away material things and destroys the world that capitalism has built.
(b) It shows that absolute power is good for the people in general.
(c) It shows how powerful communism is and there is no way to defeat it.
(d) It defines the limits of a Cold War.
2. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
(a) He does not believe sacrifice is necessary.
(b) He thinks if people are allowed to create, they don't care about money.
(c) He believes the disappearing executives are wrong.
(d) Galt is willing to sacrifice his life for the good of society.
3. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
(a) The metaphor of putting out his cigarette.
(b) The metaphor of darkness falling over the city.
(c) The metaphor of watching as her train leaves in the darkness.
(d) The metaphor of her door closing behind her.
4. What, according to Rand, is worse than taking someone's life?
(a) Working only for the joy of creation and invention.
(b) Taking someone's life's work.
(c) Having an affair with a married person.
(d) Refusing to help the poor.
5. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
(a) He slaps Francisco.
(b) He thinks Francisco is the destroyer.
(c) He is afraid that Francisco will discover their affair.
(d) He is happy because he loves both of them.
6. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(b) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
(c) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
(d) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
7. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
(a) We declare a four day work week starting immediately.
(b) We know who John Galt is.
(c) Wanted: Someone who knows how to run a steel plant.
(d) Brother, you asked for it! Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastian d'Anconia.
8. while John Galt is being held in a plush hotel suite, what is happening in the country?
(a) More businesses are closing and more great minds are disappearing.
(b) Everything comes to a standstill while they wait for Galt's economic plan.
(c) The people who had disappeared return to help Galt.
(d) The people in Atlantis decide to assassinate Galt before he tells everything.
9. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(b) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
(c) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
(d) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
10. In the former hotel suite of Francisco d'Anconia, what is the subtle meaning of that location when Rearden meets Mouch and the "Washington boys"?
(a) It demonstrates the equality of the bosses and the people.
(b) It shames Rearden because he can no longer afford such luxury.
(c) In a socialist society, those in power do not give up luxuries.
(d) It shows high regard for Francisco and all he stands for.
11. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(b) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(c) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
(d) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
12. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
(a) The government refuses to nationalize businesses to save jobs.
(b) People now have more money to spend.
(c) Production on everything increases.
(d) More businesses and executives disapear.
13. How much will it cost Dagny to repair her airplane?
(a) $200.00 in gold
(b) $10,000.00 in US dollars
(c) Nothing, they do everything there for free
(d) The plane cannot be repaired
14. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
(a) Her fear that Hank will not follow her there.
(b) Her discomfort at being where Francisco is.
(c) To stay in the valley or return to find satisfaction in work that saves the railroad.
(d) Her belief that she is actually living in a dream.
15. What does Dagny now realize about Francisco?
(a) That he never liked running the copper mines.
(b) That he was the first industrialist to quit.
(c) That he lost his bets on industrialization.
(d) That he is John Galt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the owner of the valley?
2. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
3. What does the Head of State Thompson want from Galt?
4. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
5. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)