|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will be the only way Dagny can return to the valley?
(a) James Taggart will have to be eliminated.
(b) She can return only if Hank decides to come with her.
(c) She will have to crash her plane again.
(d) John Galt, her last key before the door closes forever.
2. Who comes to visit the dejected Dagny at her cabin near Woodstock?
3. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
(b) Halley himself
(c) Hugh Akston
(d) Dr. Hendricks
4. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
(a) He knew the way New York drew people to the city.
(b) He didn't want her to change her mind and go back.
(c) He thought she might get air sick after all the excitement.
(d) New York city disappeared from the face of the earth.
5. How does James Taggart retain his position as President of Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) His firing of Dagny.
(b) He pays exhorbitant bribes.
(c) He joins the influence peddlers from Washington.
(d) His marriage to Cherryl which shows he is for the people.
6. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
(a) Tomorrow Is Another Day
(b) Look for the Silver Lining
(c) Halley's Fifth Piano Concerto
(d) Beethoven's Ode to Joy
7. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
(a) The failure of John Galt to escape.
(b) Dagny giving in to all demands in order to save John Galt.
(c) The devastating destruction of Project X and areas of four states around it.
(d) The decision to use Project F on John Galt to get him to cooperate.
8. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
(a) It takes away material things and destroys the world that capitalism has built.
(b) It defines the limits of a Cold War.
(c) It shows that absolute power is good for the people in general.
(d) It shows how powerful communism is and there is no way to defeat it.
9. On a radio program what does Dagny say that causes the program to go suddenly off the air?
(a) She says that Hank's signature on the gift of Rearden Metal was forged.
(b) She says that Business Unification was responsible for blowing up Wyatt oil fields.
(c) She tells how government blackmail over her affair with Hank caused him to sign over Rearden Metal.
(d) She says that Lillian was having an affair with Wesley Mouch.
10. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
(b) Might makes right
11. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
(b) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
(c) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(d) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
12. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
(a) It is in a stage of siege.
(b) Phillip is there trying to run the company.
(c) The Wet Nurse is there waiting for him.
(d) All is quite.
13. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
(b) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(c) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
(d) Plants under government controll never fail.
14. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
(a) They all derail.
(b) They stop running because of fear after the tunnel wreck.
(c) They run out of coal.
(d) They are abandoned and the crews vanish.
15. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
(a) Frank Adams and Francisco d'Anconia
(b) Phillip Rearden and Orren boyle
(c) John Galt and Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(d) Jim Taggart and Wesley Mouch
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hank know that their affair was over before Dagny told him.
2. What news was in the letter the doorman had held for Dagny for a week?
3. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
4. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
5. Who is the owner of the valley?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)