|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
(a) He is afraid that Francisco will discover their affair.
(b) He thinks Francisco is the destroyer.
(c) He is happy because he loves both of them.
(d) He slaps Francisco.
2. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
(a) In Dagny's cabin.
(b) On his walk at night.
(c) In the ruins of Rearden Metal.
(d) At his apartment in the city.
3. What promise does Dagny make before she returns to the outside world?
(a) She will bring back Hank when she returns.
(b) She will destroy the railroad before she returns.
(c) She will not reveal anything about it or try to find it again.
(d) She will return within one month.
4. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Eddie's resignation
(b) Directive 10-289
(c) The closing of the John Galt Line
(d) Francisco's telephone call
5. How does John Galt mock the government men when the power goes out at the State Science Institute while he is still strapped to Project F?
(a) He starts telling bad jokes.
(b) He starts telling the technician how to repair the generator.
(c) He reminds them that he is still alive.
(d) He loosens his straps and stands up.
6. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(b) The wreck of another train
(c) Dagny standing by the tracks
(d) Wyatt's Torch
7. Why does Lillian come to see James Taggart?
(a) She thinks he is a handsome, desirable man.
(b) She thinks he is powerful enough to stop Hank from divorcing her.
(c) Lillian wants to find out more dirt on Dagny.
(d) Lillian wants to get rid of Cherryl because she is so common.
8. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
(a) Because he always caves in.
(b) Because he will want to keep on helping Dagny.
(c) Because he would be bored if he did nothing.
(d) Because producing is in his blood.
9. How is Project X, a weapon of mass murder, define Rand's view of communism?
(a) It shows that absolute power is good for the people in general.
(b) It defines the limits of a Cold War.
(c) It takes away material things and destroys the world that capitalism has built.
(d) It shows how powerful communism is and there is no way to defeat it.
10. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She gets help from the police.
(b) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(c) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(d) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
11. How much will it cost Dagny to repair her airplane?
(a) $200.00 in gold
(b) $10,000.00 in US dollars
(c) Nothing, they do everything there for free
(d) The plane cannot be repaired
12. What is the name of the regulation that effectively kills all creativity in business?
(a) The Business Licensing Act
(b) The Patents and Copyrights Act
(c) The Transcontinental Act
(d) Directive 10-289
13. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
(a) He is now the President of Taggart Transcontinental.
(b) He is left with the responsibility to chronicle everything that has happened.
(c) He has lost everyting including his hope of marrying Dagny.
(d) He has only Dagny's gold cigarette case.
14. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
(a) To accuse her of destroying James.
(b) To borrow money so she can leave James.
(c) To apologize for what she said on her wedding day.
(d) To ask if she can stay there for the night.
15. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
(b) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
(c) She goes to James to find out what to do.
(d) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
2. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
3. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
4. Who is the owner of the valley?
5. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)