|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the east bound Comet stalls in the desert, how are the passengers taken away?
(a) On buses.
(b) On foot.
(c) On a horse drawn wagon.
(d) On a produce truck.
2. What news was in the letter the doorman had held for Dagny for a week?
(a) Quentin Daniels had disappeared.
(b) Quentin Daniels had finally built a working model of her motor.
(c) Quentin Daniels could no longer work on the motor.
(d) Quentin Daniels was moving to Colorado.
3. How is the secret of their location kept from the outside world?
(a) It is actually underground
(b) A sonic distrubance
(c) An artificial storm cloud
(d) A refractor ray
4. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
(a) That she could no longer see him.
(b) That she was returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(c) That Francisco was her first lover.
(d) That he needed to go back to Lillian.
5. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
(a) The Wet Nurse is there waiting for him.
(b) Phillip is there trying to run the company.
(c) All is quite.
(d) It is in a stage of siege.
6. What is the doctrine Galt says is used to keep otherwise rational people in line?
(c) Might makes right
7. Ultimately, what is the only light remaining on the earth outside of Atlantis?
(a) A lighthouse beacon.
(b) The lights of New York City.
(c) Wyatt's Torch
(d) The light of the east bound Comet.
8. What is the music heard in the valley as the industrial "strikers" arrive?
(a) Look for the Silver Lining
(b) Beethoven's Ode to Joy
(c) Halley's Fifth Piano Concerto
(d) Tomorrow Is Another Day
9. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
(a) She buys a car and drives the rest of the way.
(b) She hitchhikes to Colorado.
(c) She calls Hank to come take her the rest of the way.
(d) She buys a plane and flies there.
10. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
(a) Dagny gives up but Cherryl makes James Taggart suffer.
(b) Cherryl understands everything, but Dagny is confused.
(c) Dagny fights, but Cherryl commits suicide.
(d) Cherryl resigns herself to poverty but Dagny finds ways of making more money.
11. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Francisco's telephone call
(b) The closing of the John Galt Line
(c) Eddie's resignation
(d) Directive 10-289
12. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
(a) He is left with the responsibility to chronicle everything that has happened.
(b) He has only Dagny's gold cigarette case.
(c) He is now the President of Taggart Transcontinental.
(d) He has lost everyting including his hope of marrying Dagny.
13. How does Dagny locate John Galt?
(a) She finds his name and address on her payroll account.
(b) She tells a foreman to bring him to her.
(c) She whistles Halley's Fifth Concerto and he answers her.
(d) She gets help from the police.
14. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
(a) The US government realizes it will now have to pay more for copper.
(b) The mines all prove to be worthless and used up.
(c) The are blown up and the top management disappears.
(d) The price of copper jumps to an all time high.
15. How does Rand make a strong argument against incompetence?
(a) The Vice President who replaced Dagny takes responsibility for the wreck.
(b) Only Taggart Transcontinental remains strong while other businesses vanish.
(c) James blames Dagny for the Colorado train wreck and the man who replced her suddenly has a heart condition.
(d) James Taggart admits he did not know what to do about Kip Chalmers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of James Taggart?
2. How do the police finally locate John Galt?
3. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
4. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
5. How did Hank know that their affair was over before Dagny told him.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)