|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(b) Wyatt's Torch
(c) Dagny standing by the tracks
(d) The wreck of another train
2. What revelation does Eddie Willers get when he hears the radio broadcast?
(a) He realizes that Dagny has been wrong all the time.
(b) He discovers that James Taggart has been leading a double life.
(c) He understands why he will marry Dagny.
(d) He suddenly knows who his friend in the cafeteria was.
3. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
(a) It describes her work ethic.
(b) It is a ploy to keep them from sending her away.
(c) It shows that she has little self-esteem.
(d) It indicates that she wants to escape the valley.
4. Who is playing the piano at John Galt's house?
(a) Halley himself
(b) Hugh Akston
(c) Dr. Hendricks
5. What does Hank find when he returns to Rearden Metal plant?
(a) Phillip is there trying to run the company.
(b) It is in a stage of siege.
(c) The Wet Nurse is there waiting for him.
(d) All is quite.
6. What is Rand's symbol of the ultimate destruction of socialism?
(a) The devastating destruction of Project X and areas of four states around it.
(b) The decision to use Project F on John Galt to get him to cooperate.
(c) The failure of John Galt to escape.
(d) Dagny giving in to all demands in order to save John Galt.
7. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
(b) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(c) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(d) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
8. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
(a) Frank Adams and Francisco d'Anconia
(b) John Galt and Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(c) Jim Taggart and Wesley Mouch
(d) Phillip Rearden and Orren boyle
9. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
(a) New York city disappeared from the face of the earth.
(b) He didn't want her to change her mind and go back.
(c) He thought she might get air sick after all the excitement.
(d) He knew the way New York drew people to the city.
10. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
(a) The US government realizes it will now have to pay more for copper.
(b) The mines all prove to be worthless and used up.
(c) The are blown up and the top management disappears.
(d) The price of copper jumps to an all time high.
11. How does Galt remove suspicion from Dagny at his capture?
(a) He pulls a gun on her and tells the police she is his hostage.
(b) He calls her a government stooge.
(c) He pushes her out the back door before he lets the police in.
(d) He knocks her unconscious.
12. How does Dagny now realize that the government had used her, Rearden, and other industrialists?
(a) By their greed.
(b) By their love of work and producing.
(c) By their stupidity.
(d) By their helplessness.
13. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
(a) Wanted: Someone who knows how to run a steel plant.
(b) We know who John Galt is.
(c) Brother, you asked for it! Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastian d'Anconia.
(d) We declare a four day work week starting immediately.
14. What was John Galt's connection to Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) He once owned the company.
(b) He once owned that factory.
(c) He was the young engineer building the revolutionary motor.
(d) He is Quentin Daniel's father.
15. Why does Lillian come to see James Taggart?
(a) Lillian wants to find out more dirt on Dagny.
(b) She thinks he is powerful enough to stop Hank from divorcing her.
(c) She thinks he is a handsome, desirable man.
(d) Lillian wants to get rid of Cherryl because she is so common.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of Dr. Robert Stadler's death?
2. What crisis brings Rearden before the Unification Board?
3. What promise does Dagny make before she returns to the outside world?
4. When the east bound Comet stalls in the desert, how are the passengers taken away?
5. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)