|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
(a) In Dagny's cabin.
(b) In the ruins of Rearden Metal.
(c) On his walk at night.
(d) At his apartment in the city.
2. As they were flying away with John Galt, why did Galt tell Dagny not to look down?
(a) He didn't want her to change her mind and go back.
(b) New York city disappeared from the face of the earth.
(c) He thought she might get air sick after all the excitement.
(d) He knew the way New York drew people to the city.
3. What is happening to trains everywhere in the nation?
(a) They are abandoned and the crews vanish.
(b) They stop running because of fear after the tunnel wreck.
(c) They all derail.
(d) They run out of coal.
4. After Hank Rearden disappears, what special favor is granted Dagny by the citizens of "Atlantis"?
(a) They tell her where she can find John Galt.
(b) They allow her to tell everyone where Hank has gone.
(c) They allow her to receive a message from Hank.
(d) They give her another invitation to join them.
5. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
(b) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
(c) She goes to James to find out what to do.
(d) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
6. At the end of the novel, what is Eddie Willers left with?
(a) He is left with the responsibility to chronicle everything that has happened.
(b) He has only Dagny's gold cigarette case.
(c) He has lost everyting including his hope of marrying Dagny.
(d) He is now the President of Taggart Transcontinental.
7. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
(a) By threatening to expose his affair with Dagny.
(b) By promising him that he can continue to run the company.
(c) By convincing him it is the right thing to do.
(d) By holding Lillian hostage.
8. Who is the handsome blond man Dagny meets on her first morning in the valley?
(a) Richard Halley
(b) Sebastian d'Anconia
(c) John Galt's brother
(d) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
9. Danneskjtzld contrasts himself with what legendary hero?
(d) Robin Hood
10. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
(a) He gives his money to Lillian.
(b) He buys Cherryl an improbably large diamond.
(c) He gives a hundred dollar bill to a beggar.
(d) He burns his money in the fireplace.
11. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
(a) Jim Taggart and Wesley Mouch
(b) Frank Adams and Francisco d'Anconia
(c) Phillip Rearden and Orren boyle
(d) John Galt and Ragnar Danneskjtzld
12. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
(a) Eddie comes right out and asks him.
(b) The cigarette butts with the $ sign in the ashtray.
(c) He admits it to Eddie but swears him to secrecy.
(d) He never has to ask.
13. How do the police finally locate John Galt?
(a) They follow Dagny who leads them to her.
(b) Eddie Willers accidentally calls him by name at work.
(c) They announce that they are holding Dagny hostage.
(d) They put a trace on his radio broadcasts.
14. What does James Taggart say that indicates he realizes the seriousness of the situation with the Unification Board?
(a) If we are to perish, let's make sure that we all perish together.
(b) The new regulations are working and we'll all be rich.
(c) The government is going to have to print more money.
(d) We'll soon have a monopoly on everything.
15. What has happened to Dagny during the time that John Galt was recaptured and taken away?
(a) She offers to tell everything she knows in exchange for John's life.
(b) She gets a gun and goes looking for Eddie Willers.
(c) She decides to join the others at Atlantis.
(d) She jumps to her death out of her apartment window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
2. What is Hank's reaction when he discovers Francisco in Dagny's apartment?
3. Why does James Taggart insist that Rearden will always produce, even if he doesn't like the conditions?
4. Why does Lillian come to see James Taggart?
5. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)