|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 9 "The Generator".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
(a) Because he is a supporter of the Equalization of Opportunity Bill
(b) Because he is the only one who can save socialism.
(c) Because he has a strange name that they don't trust.
(d) Because he is a pirate who seizes relief supplies intended for communist societies.
2. The communistic government wanted people to sacrifice their minds and products for the good of society. How is John Galt more honorable?
(a) He does not believe sacrifice is necessary.
(b) He thinks if people are allowed to create, they don't care about money.
(c) Galt is willing to sacrifice his life for the good of society.
(d) He believes the disappearing executives are wrong.
3. How does Dagny deal with the failure of communications on the Taggart Transcontinental when copper wire breaks and cannot be quickly replaced?
(a) She goes to James to find out what to do.
(b) She stops all trains until the lines can be repaired.
(c) She reverts to manual switching and lantern signals.
(d) She turns the problem over to Cuffy Meigs.
4. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
(a) Wyatt's Torch
(b) The wreck of another train
(c) The blue Rearden Metal rails
(d) Dagny standing by the tracks
5. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
(a) Rearden Metal wins the contract to ship the steel.
(b) People have to wait for needed food to arrive.
(c) Project X has to be put on hold.
(d) Produce from the West coast is held up for 3 days and everything spoils.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
2. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
3. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
4. After Rearden is knocked unconscious and comes to, who does he discover were helping to fight off the siege?
5. What is the obvious symbolism of the Project X machine that is so destructive.
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)