|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 9 "The Generator".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(b) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
(c) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(d) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
2. What show of support does Dagny get from employees of Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) They vote her in as President of Taggart Transcontinental.
(b) They line the route with guns to protect the train.
(c) They all buy stock in the John Galt Line.
(d) They give a banquet in her honor.
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(b) The National Alliance of Railroads
(c) The common people.
(d) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
4. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
(b) The committees are selected by popular vote.
(c) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
(d) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
5. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(b) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
(c) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
(d) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
2. Why does the siege represent a "Concerto of Deliverance"?
3. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
4. What does James Taggart say that indicates he realizes the seriousness of the situation with the Unification Board?
5. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)