|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 9 "The Generator".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. when Dagny comes to after her plane crashes in the Colorado mountains, who is the first person she sees?
(a) Quentin Daniels
(b) Francisco d'Anconia
(c) Hank Rearden
(d) John Galt
2. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
(a) Don't you want to know now: Who is John Galt?
(b) Have you met John Galt?
(c) Did you get permission to use John Galt's name on your new railroad line?
(d) Don't you want to tell Lillian about your affair with her husband?
3. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
(a) Her fear that Hank will not follow her there.
(b) To stay in the valley or return to find satisfaction in work that saves the railroad.
(c) Her discomfort at being where Francisco is.
(d) Her belief that she is actually living in a dream.
4. What happens to a radio broadcast planned for the Head of State?
(a) John Galt jams their broadcast so that the air is completely dead.
(b) John Galt takes over the broadcast to tell the world what has happened to the disappeared thinkers and producers.
(c) Dagny agrees to be a part of the broadcast.
(d) The radio broadcast explains why everything is happening for the good of the people.
5. What does Rand mean by the title, "White Blackmail"?
(a) A way of manipulating people by passing aws and regulations that the influence peddlers want broken.
(b) Not really blackmail at all.
(c) A way of getting people to obey the laws and cooperate with the government.
(d) Little white lies to get around the laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
2. When the Taggart board and the Washington influence peddlers meet, what is the irony of their meeting place?
3. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
4. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
5. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)