|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 4 "Anti-Life".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(b) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(c) The common people.
(d) The National Alliance of Railroads
2. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(b) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
(c) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(d) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
3. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(b) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(c) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(d) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
4. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(b) It represents the end of an era.
(c) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(d) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
5. What conflict does Rand set up within the character of Dagny Taggart?
(a) To stay in the valley or return to find satisfaction in work that saves the railroad.
(b) Her discomfort at being where Francisco is.
(c) Her belief that she is actually living in a dream.
(d) Her fear that Hank will not follow her there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was John Galt's connection to Twentieth Century Motors?
2. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
3. when Dagny comes to after her plane crashes in the Colorado mountains, who is the first person she sees?
4. What is Dagny's reply to Cherryl's comment that she is "the woman in the Taggart family"?
5. What does Rearden sell off after the bill banning people from owning multiple businesses is passed?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)