|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 10 "The Sign of the Dollar".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Ferris get Hank Rearden to sign over Rearden Metal to the government?
(a) By holding Lillian hostage.
(b) By convincing him it is the right thing to do.
(c) By threatening to expose his affair with Dagny.
(d) By promising him that he can continue to run the company.
2. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
(b) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
(c) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
(d) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
3. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Plans for a revolutionary motor.
(b) The formula for Rearden metal.
(c) The address of the chief engineer.
(d) Books on building aircraft.
4. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Phillip Rearden
(c) Claude Slagenhop
(d) Francisco d'Anconia
5. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
(b) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
(c) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
(d) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
2. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
3. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
4. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
5. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)