|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 10 "The Sign of the Dollar".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The flaws in Rearden steel.
(b) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
(c) The deteriorization of New York City.
(d) The engine of a Taggart train.
2. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(b) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
(c) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(d) Dagny, you're a woman.
3. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(b) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(c) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
(d) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
4. What does Phillip want to leave Henry's house?
(a) Money to start a business.
(b) Paid up tuition to Harvard.
(c) A new car.
(d) Controlling interest in Rearden Metal stock.
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He holds an engineering degree.
(b) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(c) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(d) He is Hank's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
2. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
3. What does James Taggart say that indicates he realizes the seriousness of the situation with the Unification Board?
4. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
5. How does James Taggart retain his position as President of Taggart Transcontinental?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)