|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 10 "The Sign of the Dollar".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(b) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(c) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(d) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
2. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
(b) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
(c) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(d) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
3. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Francisco's telephone call
(b) Eddie's resignation
(c) Directive 10-289
(d) The closing of the John Galt Line
4. What is Mouch's new job after he resigns as Rearden's Washington lobbyist?
(a) Assistant Coordinator of the Bureau of Economic Planning and National Resources
(b) Secretary of the Interior
(c) Assistant Editor of
(d) Vice President of Taggart Transcontinental
5. How does Rand make it clear that Eddie's mysterious cafeteria friend is the illusive John Galt?
(a) The cigarette butts with the $ sign in the ashtray.
(b) Eddie comes right out and asks him.
(c) He admits it to Eddie but swears him to secrecy.
(d) He never has to ask.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
2. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
4. What news was in the letter the doorman had held for Dagny for a week?
5. What show of support does Dagny get from employees of Taggart Transcontinental?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)