|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 10 "The Sign of the Dollar".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(b) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(c) He holds an engineering degree.
(d) He is Hank's brother.
2. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(b) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(c) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(d) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The National Alliance of Railroads
(b) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(c) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(d) The common people.
4. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(b) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
(c) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
(d) Plants under government controll never fail.
5. What causes Dagny to resign from Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) Eddie's resignation
(b) Directive 10-289
(c) The closing of the John Galt Line
(d) Francisco's telephone call
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
2. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
3. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
4. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
5. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)