|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 10 "The Sign of the Dollar".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
(a) In effect, he has won against the government.
(b) Other industrialists will go out of business.
(c) Lillian's social connections are destroyed.
(d) Rearden will have to comply with the government rules.
2. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(b) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(c) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(d) They cannot get the steel they need.
3. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
(a) He compares Dagny to the Unification Board.
(b) He says everyone must travel the same road to Atlantis.
(c) He compares her now to the time she waited outside Dannager's office.
(d) He suggests that the faceless men will take over.
4. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
(a) When all motivation was taken away, no one wanted to work.
(b) When everyone had everything in common, the plant flourished.
(c) Plants under government controll never fail.
(d) When capitalism ceases to be, everyone is happier.
5. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(b) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(c) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
(d) Dagny, you're a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Unification Board is now in complete control and more regulations are passed. What is the result?
2. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
4. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
5. How does James Taggart retain his position as President of Taggart Transcontinental?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)