|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 3 "White Blackmail".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
(b) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
(c) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
(d) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
2. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(b) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
(c) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(d) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
3. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(b) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(c) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(d) Oh well, who is John Galt?
4. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The National Alliance of Railroads
(b) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(c) The common people.
(d) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
5. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
(b) He went to the university under an assumed name.
(c) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
(d) Nobody really knows who he is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on what she knows at the moment, what conclusion does Dagny draw about the disappearance of men like Wyatt?
2. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
3. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
4. Quentin Daniels is hired to reconstruct the revolutionary motor. What is Quentin's greatest desire.
5. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)