|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 3 "White Blackmail".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(b) His dream of flying.
(c) His confused state of mind.
(d) Making his pain go away.
2. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
(a) The Potato Famine.
(b) The Spanish Inquisition.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Spanish Revolution.
3. How does Dr. Ferris explain to Rearden the many laws that are being passed by the State?
(a) There is no other way to rule men than to pass laws that cannot be observed, enforced or interpreted
(b) He says the lawmakers do not really know what they are doing.
(c) He says that Rearden just doesn't understand what the laws are saying.
(d) He says that laws that don't work will eventually be repealed.
4. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(b) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(c) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
(d) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
5. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
(b) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
(c) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
(d) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
2. What is the surprising question Francisco poses to Dagny at the wedding reception?
3. Dr. Stadler talks about having known John Galt who he believes is dead. What is his recollection of Galt?
4. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
5. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)