|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 3 "White Blackmail".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(b) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(c) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(d) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
2. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(b) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(c) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(d) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
3. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(b) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
(c) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(d) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
4. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(b) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(c) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(d) They cannot get the steel they need.
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(b) He holds an engineering degree.
(c) He is Hank's brother.
(d) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
2. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
3. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
4. Where does Dagny plan to start the first run of the John Galt Line?
5. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)