|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 3 "White Blackmail".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony of the State Science Institute's demand for 10,000 tons of Rearden Metal?
(a) It needed the metal because it had effectively cut off steel production.
(b) It was trying to restart the economy by keeping Rearden in business.
(c) It showed that the Institute had always supported Rearden.
(d) It had once tried to discredit Rearden Metal.
2. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
(a) He is the diamond king.
(b) He is a noted philanthropist.
(c) He is a worthless playboy.
(d) He is planning to run for President.
3. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(b) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
(c) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(d) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
4. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To study in Paris.
(b) To marry Eddie Willers.
(c) To become a fashion model.
(d) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
5. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(b) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(c) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(d) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
Short Answer Questions
1. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
2. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
3. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
4. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
5. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)