|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 1 "The Man Who Belonged on Earth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's opera,
(b) Cry Me a River
(c) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(d) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
2. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
(b) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
(c) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
(d) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
3. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
(b) The close link he has to his mother.
(c) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(d) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
4. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
(a) He is at a meeting with Dagny and Owen Kellogg.
(b) He never goes to his office in Washington.
(c) He is at a meeting with Orren Boyle, James Taggart, and Paul Larkin.
(d) He cannot get in to see the President of the United States.
5. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(b) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(c) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(d) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
2. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
3. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
4. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
5. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)