|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 1 "The Man Who Belonged on Earth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(b) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(c) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(d) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
2. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
(a) He says she already knows.
(b) He says she is not ready to hear the answer.
(c) He says only John Galt knows for sure.
(d) He says he wants to take over the oil industry.
3. What show of support does Dagny get from employees of Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) They vote her in as President of Taggart Transcontinental.
(b) They line the route with guns to protect the train.
(c) They give a banquet in her honor.
(d) They all buy stock in the John Galt Line.
4. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The flaws in Rearden steel.
(b) The deteriorization of New York City.
(c) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
(d) The engine of a Taggart train.
5. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
(b) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
(c) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
(d) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rearden's suggestion to Dagny about giving in to the state?
2. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
3. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
4. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
5. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)