|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 1 "The Man Who Belonged on Earth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
(a) An undiscovered work my Mozart.
(b) A composition by Richard Halley.
(c) A composition to a dead oak tree.
(d) The theme song of the Taggart Transcontinental Railway.
2. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It is not a true socialist idea.
(b) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(c) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(d) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
3. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It is made of unusual tobacco.
(b) It is rolled in colored paper.
(c) It cannot be lit.
(d) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
4. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
(b) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(c) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
(d) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
5. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) His confused state of mind.
(b) His dream of flying.
(c) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(d) Making his pain go away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
2. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
3. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
4. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
5. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)