|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 1 "The Man Who Belonged on Earth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
(b) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(c) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(d) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
2. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
(a) She agrees that the motives were pure.
(b) She accuses him of lying.
(c) She praises him for his generosity.
(d) She says the idea is despicable.
3. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) Making his pain go away.
(b) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(c) His confused state of mind.
(d) His dream of flying.
4. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(b) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(c) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(d) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
5. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
(a) Their wedding anniversary.
(b) Their social obligation to Dagny Taggart.
(c) A fund raiser for underprivileged children.
(d) A celebration of Rearden metal.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dr. Stadler questions why the man who was developing the revolutionary motor was working in a factory research lab, what is Dagny's reply?
2. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
3. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
4. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
5. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)