|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 1 "The Man Who Belonged on Earth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
(a) He decides to build a new line of his own.
(b) He takes credit for its success.
(c) He gives Dagny credit for saving the company.
(d) He buys more stock in the John Galt Line.
2. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(b) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(c) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(d) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
3. When a reporter asks Dagny, "Who is John Galt?" what is her answer?
(a) Who cares?
(b) An advertising gimmick.
(c) I'll never tell.
(d) We are.
4. What happens after the disappearance of Wyatt and his vast Colorado oil fields?
(a) Project X provides a new and better fuel.
(b) The government reopens the Wyatt oil fields and everything gets back to normal.
(c) Mine owners begin blowing up their mines.
(d) Small companies cannot supply enough oil to fill the demand.
5. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(b) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
(c) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(d) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the chain"?
2. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
3. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
4. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
5. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)