|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 1 "The Man Who Belonged on Earth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) John Galt
(d) James Ellis Wyatt
2. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
(b) Nobody really knows who he is.
(c) He went to the university under an assumed name.
(d) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
3. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The deteriorization of New York City.
(b) The engine of a Taggart train.
(c) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
(d) The flaws in Rearden steel.
4. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He is Hank's brother.
(b) He holds an engineering degree.
(c) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(d) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
5. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(b) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
(c) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(d) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
2. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
3. Who is planning to build diesel engines for Taggart Transcontinental?
4. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
5. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)