|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 1 "The Man Who Belonged on Earth".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
2. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Ellis Wyatt
(c) Jim Taggart
(d) Paul Larkin
3. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(b) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(c) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(d) Oh well, who is John Galt?
4. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) The formula for Rearden metal.
(b) The address of the chief engineer.
(c) Plans for a revolutionary motor.
(d) Books on building aircraft.
5. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(b) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(c) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(d) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Short Answer Questions
1. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
2. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
3. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
4. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
5. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)