|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He is Hank's brother.
(b) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(c) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(d) He holds an engineering degree.
2. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
(b) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
(c) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
(d) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
3. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(b) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(c) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(d) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
4. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The deteriorization of New York City.
(b) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
(c) The flaws in Rearden steel.
(d) The engine of a Taggart train.
5. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
2. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
3. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
4. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
5. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)