|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(b) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(c) He holds an engineering degree.
(d) He is Hank's brother.
2. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
(b) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(c) The close link he has to his mother.
(d) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
3. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
(a) As an octopus.
(b) As a great philanthropist.
(c) As a shark.
(d) As an alligator.
4. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(b) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(c) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(d) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
5. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
(a) He is a worthless playboy.
(b) He is the diamond king.
(c) He is a noted philanthropist.
(d) He is planning to run for President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the chain"?
2. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
3. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
4. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
5. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)