|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
(b) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(c) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(d) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
2. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To study in Paris.
(b) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
(c) To marry Eddie Willers.
(d) To become a fashion model.
3. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
(b) The engine of a Taggart train.
(c) The deteriorization of New York City.
(d) The flaws in Rearden steel.
4. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
(a) He cannot get in to see the President of the United States.
(b) He is at a meeting with Orren Boyle, James Taggart, and Paul Larkin.
(c) He is at a meeting with Dagny and Owen Kellogg.
(d) He never goes to his office in Washington.
5. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
(a) Because he is the only one who can save socialism.
(b) Because he is a pirate who seizes relief supplies intended for communist societies.
(c) Because he has a strange name that they don't trust.
(d) Because he is a supporter of the Equalization of Opportunity Bill
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
2. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
3. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
4. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
5. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)