|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "the chain"?
(a) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(b) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
(c) A means of restraining railroad workers.
(d) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
2. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
(a) He says she already knows.
(b) He says he wants to take over the oil industry.
(c) He says she is not ready to hear the answer.
(d) He says only John Galt knows for sure.
3. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(b) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(c) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
(d) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
4. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
(a) He says he gave them the wrong location because he knew what they would do.
(b) He says he gave them the mines to do with as they pleased.
(c) He says he wanted to contribute to the Mexican economy.
(d) He says the mines are not worthless bacuse they contain silver.
5. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The close link he has to his mother.
(b) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
(c) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(d) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
2. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
3. How does Bertram Scudder, editor of "The Future" magazine, characterize Hank Rearden?
4. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
5. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)