|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He is Hank's brother.
(b) He holds an engineering degree.
(c) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(d) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
2. What is "the chain"?
(a) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
(b) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
(c) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(d) A means of restraining railroad workers.
3. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The flaws in Rearden steel.
(b) The engine of a Taggart train.
(c) The deteriorization of New York City.
(d) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
4. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
(a) They pretend to favor defeat for the the Equalization of Opportunity Bill.
(b) They are all dressed in their finest and wearing flashy jewelry.
(c) They prefer not to talk about politics.
(d) They have not invited any rich industrialists to the party.
5. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(b) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(c) Dagny, you're a woman.
(d) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
2. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
3. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
4. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
5. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)