|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(b) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(c) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(d) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
2. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(b) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(c) Dagny, you're a woman.
(d) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
3. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(b) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(c) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
(d) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
4. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(b) The National Alliance of Railroads
(c) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(d) The common people.
5. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(b) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
(c) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(d) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
2. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
3. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
4. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
5. Why are the guests at the party so eager to discuss the capture of Ragnar Danneskjtzld?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)