|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
(b) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(c) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(d) The close link he has to his mother.
2. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Halley's opera,
(c) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(d) Cry Me a River
3. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(b) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(c) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(d) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
4. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(b) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(c) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(d) It is not a true socialist idea.
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(b) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(c) He is Hank's brother.
(d) He holds an engineering degree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
2. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
3. What strange exchange occurs between Dagny and Lillian at he party?
4. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
5. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)