|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Anti-cooperation Rule
(b) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(c) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
(d) Every man for himself Rule
2. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
(a) Where in the world is Dagny Taggert?
(b) Who is John Galt?
(c) What happened to New York City?
(d) Where have all the flowers gone?
3. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(b) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(c) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
(d) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
4. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(b) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(c) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(d) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
5. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(b) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(c) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(d) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rand use the party to show the superficiality of the communist guests?
2. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
3. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
4. At the party, James Taggart demands that Francisco explain why the San Sebastian mines are worthless. What is Francisco's ironic reply?
5. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)