|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
(a) That it is going to help the communist government.
(b) That the Mexican government will subsidise it.
(c) That is was not her idea.
(d) That it is using Rearden steel rails.
2. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(b) Dagny, you're a woman.
(c) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
(d) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
3. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(b) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
(c) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(d) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
4. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(b) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(c) He is Hank's brother.
(d) He holds an engineering degree.
5. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
(a) He says she is not ready to hear the answer.
(b) He says he wants to take over the oil industry.
(c) He says she already knows.
(d) He says only John Galt knows for sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the chain"?
2. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
3. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
4. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
5. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)