|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 7 "The Exploiters and the Exploited".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) Making his pain go away.
(b) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(c) His confused state of mind.
(d) His dream of flying.
2. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
(a) He says she already knows.
(b) He says she is not ready to hear the answer.
(c) He says only John Galt knows for sure.
(d) He says he wants to take over the oil industry.
3. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To try and localte John Galt.
(b) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(c) To find Francisco and marry him.
(d) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
4. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(b) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(c) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(d) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
5. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) James Ellis Wyatt
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) John Galt
(d) Eddie Willers
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
2. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
3. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
4. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
5. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)