|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
(a) An undiscovered work my Mozart.
(b) A composition by Richard Halley.
(c) A composition to a dead oak tree.
(d) The theme song of the Taggart Transcontinental Railway.
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
(a) He cannot get in to see the President of the United States.
(b) He is at a meeting with Orren Boyle, James Taggart, and Paul Larkin.
(c) He never goes to his office in Washington.
(d) He is at a meeting with Dagny and Owen Kellogg.
4. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The deteriorization of New York City.
(b) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
(c) The engine of a Taggart train.
(d) The flaws in Rearden steel.
5. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) Railroads are a thing of the past.
(b) I'm going into business for myself.
(c) Who is John Galt?
(d) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
2. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
3. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
4. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
5. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)