|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(b) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(c) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(d) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
2. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
(b) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
(c) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
(d) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
3. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(b) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(c) The close link he has to his mother.
(d) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
4. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
(b) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(c) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
(d) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
5. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(b) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(c) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(d) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the chain"?
2. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
3. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
4. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
5. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)