|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(b) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(c) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(d) Oh well, who is John Galt?
2. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(c) Halley's opera,
(d) Cry Me a River
3. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
(a) An undiscovered work my Mozart.
(b) A composition to a dead oak tree.
(c) The theme song of the Taggart Transcontinental Railway.
(d) A composition by Richard Halley.
4. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
5. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) John Galt
(c) James Ellis Wyatt
(d) Eddie Willers
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the chain"?
2. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
4. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
5. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)