|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The National Alliance of Railroads
(b) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(c) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(d) The common people.
2. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Ellis Wyatt
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) Paul Larkin
(d) Jim Taggart
3. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
(a) Local and Transcontinental Rule
(b) Anti-dog-eat-dog Rule
(c) Anti-cooperation Rule
(d) Every man for himself Rule
4. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(b) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(c) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(d) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
5. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
(b) To study in Paris.
(c) To marry Eddie Willers.
(d) To become a fashion model.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
2. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
3. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
4. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
5. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)