|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
(a) A composition to a dead oak tree.
(b) An undiscovered work my Mozart.
(c) The theme song of the Taggart Transcontinental Railway.
(d) A composition by Richard Halley.
2. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
(b) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(c) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
(d) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
3. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
(b) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(c) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(d) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
4. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(b) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(c) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(d) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
5. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It is not a true socialist idea.
(b) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(c) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(d) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
4. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
5. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)