|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cryptic question that sets the mood of suspense in ATLAS SHRUGGED?
(a) Where have all the flowers gone?
(b) Where in the world is Dagny Taggert?
(c) Who is John Galt?
(d) What happened to New York City?
2. What is "the chain"?
(a) A means of restraining railroad workers.
(b) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(c) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
(d) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
3. What is the "Fifth Concerto"?
(a) An undiscovered work my Mozart.
(b) A composition to a dead oak tree.
(c) The theme song of the Taggart Transcontinental Railway.
(d) A composition by Richard Halley.
4. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(b) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(c) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(d) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
5. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To marry Eddie Willers.
(b) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
(c) To become a fashion model.
(d) To study in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
2. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
3. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
4. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
5. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)