|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(b) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(c) It is not a true socialist idea.
(d) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
2. A theme that runs throughout ATLAS SHRUGGED is one which shows strength and character outside but emptiness and moral corruption inside. What metaphor does Ayn Rand use to illustrate this idea?
(a) The deteriorization of New York City.
(b) The flaws in Rearden steel.
(c) The engine of a Taggart train.
(d) The old oak tree that was struck by lightning.
3. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
4. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(b) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(c) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
(d) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
5. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(b) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
(c) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(d) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the image Francisco d'Anconia has in the public eye?
2. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
3. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
4. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
5. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)