|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The National Alliance of Railroads
(b) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(c) The common people.
(d) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
2. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
(a) Railroads are a thing of the past.
(b) I'm going into business for myself.
(c) Who is John Galt?
(d) You can't pay me what I'm worth.
3. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
(a) A celebration of Rearden metal.
(b) Their wedding anniversary.
(c) Their social obligation to Dagny Taggart.
(d) A fund raiser for underprivileged children.
4. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(b) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
(c) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(d) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
5. Who is almost single handedly responsible for opening up trade in Colorado?
(a) Jim Taggart
(b) Hank Rearden
(c) Ellis Wyatt
(d) Paul Larkin
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
2. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
3. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
4. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
5. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)