|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, you're a woman.
(b) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(c) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(d) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
2. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
(b) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(c) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(d) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(b) The common people.
(c) The National Alliance of Railroads
(d) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
4. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
(a) Their wedding anniversary.
(b) Their social obligation to Dagny Taggart.
(c) A celebration of Rearden metal.
(d) A fund raiser for underprivileged children.
5. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(b) It is not a true socialist idea.
(c) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(d) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
2. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
3. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
4. What does Dagny object to about the San Sebastian Line?
5. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)