|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 5 "The Climax of the D'Anconias".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Dagny stops at a newsstand buy cigarettes, what is the last thing the vendor says to her?
(a) Oh well, next time I'll save you a paper.
(b) Oh well, we'll have your cigarettes tomorrow.
(c) Oh well, who is John Galt?
(d) Oh well, you need to stop smoking anyway.
2. What is "the chain"?
(a) A means of restraining railroad workers.
(b) The imprisonment of Hank's family.
(c) A bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden metal.
(d) The weakest link in Rearden's new metal.
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Cry Me a River
(b) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(c) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(d) Halley's opera,
4. What decision does Dagny make when she is nine years old?
(a) To become a fashion model.
(b) To run Taggart Rail Lines.
(c) To study in Paris.
(d) To marry Eddie Willers.
5. When Dagny demands to be made Vice President in Charge of Operations, what reason does Jim give her for opposing the idea?
(a) Dagny, father never intended for you to work at Taggert.
(b) Dagny, you're a woman.
(c) Dagny, you don't know anything about railroads.
(d) Dagny, you'll get married and leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rand indicate that Wesley Mouch, Rearden's Washington lobbyist, may not be working in Rearden's interest?
2. Who is the childhood friend of Jim and Dagny who now works for them?
3. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
4. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
5. What is Owen Kellogg's reply to Dagny when she asks him why he is resigning from Taggert Railway?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)