|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand use the marriage of James and Cherryl to make her point against social philosophy?
(a) Like communism, it is a sham based on lies and deception.
(b) It is an improbable love story.
(c) It shows that poor people do not lack social graces.
(d) It shows that the rich and the poor are really equal.
2. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
(b) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(c) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
(d) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
3. How does James Taggart demonstrate his disdain for money?
(a) He gives a hundred dollar bill to a beggar.
(b) He burns his money in the fireplace.
(c) He gives his money to Lillian.
(d) He buys Cherryl an improbably large diamond.
4. What, according to Rand, is worse than taking someone's life?
(a) Working only for the joy of creation and invention.
(b) Having an affair with a married person.
(c) Refusing to help the poor.
(d) Taking someone's life's work.
5. What prevents Taggart Transcontinental from meeting Rearden's deadline for delivering steel?
(a) The coal miners all go on strike for higher wages.
(b) Danagger refuses to supply coal if it will help Rearden.
(c) Danagger Coal cannot supply coal for the trains because its shipment goes to England.
(d) The bridge on the Galt Line is blown up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
2. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
3. Dagny wants to build a narrow gauge railroad in the valley and then changes her mind. Why?
4. Danneskjtzld contrasts himself with what legendary hero?
5. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)