|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) Friends introduce them.
(b) At the train station.
(c) At a cocktail party.
(d) In a dime store.
2. What is Dagny's reply to Cherryl's comment that she is "the woman in the Taggart family"?
(a) What am I? Chopped liver?
(b) That's quiet all right. I'm the man.
(c) You're welcome to the job.
(d) Don't tell my dress maker.
3. What is the comparison Francisco makes between John Galt and Prometheus?
(a) John Galt is a Prometheus who changed his mind.
(b) John Galt invented fire.
(c) John Galt believes the total end is near for all mankind.
(d) John Galt has been eaten by vultures and is dead.
4. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
(a) The metaphor of her door closing behind her.
(b) The metaphor of putting out his cigarette.
(c) The metaphor of watching as her train leaves in the darkness.
(d) The metaphor of darkness falling over the city.
5. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
(a) He makes a settlement with them that will keep them in style for life.
(b) He divorces Lillian and cuts the family off from any financial support from him.
(c) He gives Phillip a job and leaves Rearden Metal.
(d) He threatens to kill them all if they don't leave him alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
2. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
3. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
4. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
5. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)