|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
(a) Because she doesn't ask him anything about the cigarettes.
(b) Because she thinks they are very pretty.
(c) Because he says she's earned it.
(d) Because she forgot her cigarettes in New York.
2. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
(a) Francisco's horror when he learns that Rearden ordered d'Anconia copper.
(b) Francisco offers to introduce Rearden to Danneskjtzld.
(c) Francisco does not react when Rearden mentions Danneskjtzld's name.
(d) Francisco tells Rearden that Danneskjtzld is coming to the city.
3. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
(a) Claude Slagenhop
(b) Francisco d'Anconia
(c) Phillip Rearden
(d) Hank Rearden
4. What literary device does Rand use to show the end of Eddie's dream of one day marrying Dagny.
(a) The metaphor of putting out his cigarette.
(b) The metaphor of watching as her train leaves in the darkness.
(c) The metaphor of her door closing behind her.
(d) The metaphor of darkness falling over the city.
5. What, according to Rand, is worse than taking someone's life?
(a) Having an affair with a married person.
(b) Working only for the joy of creation and invention.
(c) Taking someone's life's work.
(d) Refusing to help the poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
2. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
3. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
4. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
5. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)