|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
(a) He gives Phillip a job and leaves Rearden Metal.
(b) He divorces Lillian and cuts the family off from any financial support from him.
(c) He threatens to kill them all if they don't leave him alone.
(d) He makes a settlement with them that will keep them in style for life.
2. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(b) To try and localte John Galt.
(c) To find Francisco and marry him.
(d) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
3. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(b) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(c) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(d) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
4. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(b) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(c) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(d) They cannot get the steel they need.
5. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
(a) It is a symbol of how expensive cigarettes become under communism.
(b) It is a secret mark that designates a revolutionary war to come.
(c) It predicts the high cost of cigarettes in the future.
(d) It is reall a capital U overlaid with a capital S in gold to remind users of US capitalism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "the chain"?
2. What is the last thing passengers see on Kip Chalmers' train as they enter the tunnel?
3. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
4. How does Rand use the history of Twentieth Century Motors to define communism?
5. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)