|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
(a) Claude Slagenhop
(b) Phillip Rearden
(c) Francisco d'Anconia
(d) Hank Rearden
2. What does Dagny's insistence on working as housemaid for John Galt say about her.
(a) It is a ploy to keep them from sending her away.
(b) It shows that she has little self-esteem.
(c) It describes her work ethic.
(d) It indicates that she wants to escape the valley.
3. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It is not a true socialist idea.
(b) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(c) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(d) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
4. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
5. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
(b) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(c) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(d) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
2. Dagny wants to build a narrow gauge railroad in the valley and then changes her mind. Why?
3. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
4. In being true to herself, Dagny still does not get what Francisco has been trying to tell her. What analogy does Francisco make that Dagny misses?
5. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)