|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
(a) Francisco does not react when Rearden mentions Danneskjtzld's name.
(b) Francisco's horror when he learns that Rearden ordered d'Anconia copper.
(c) Francisco offers to introduce Rearden to Danneskjtzld.
(d) Francisco tells Rearden that Danneskjtzld is coming to the city.
2. What does Hank Rearden finally do with his family?
(a) He divorces Lillian and cuts the family off from any financial support from him.
(b) He makes a settlement with them that will keep them in style for life.
(c) He gives Phillip a job and leaves Rearden Metal.
(d) He threatens to kill them all if they don't leave him alone.
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's opera,
(b) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(c) Cry Me a River
(d) Halley's Fourth Concerto
4. Dagny wants to build a narrow gauge railroad in the valley and then changes her mind. Why?
(a) She is not an engineer.
(b) It will keep her from returning to Taggart Transcontinental.
(c) The idea is ridiculous because it would serve no purpose.
(d) She can't do it without Rearden Metal.
5. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(b) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
(c) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(d) It represents the end of an era.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
2. What does Danneskjtzld leave behind when he disappears into the darkness?
3. What does Francisco d'Anconia say the socialists will use to replace "the aristocracy of money"?
4. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
5. What is Dagny's reply to Cherryl's comment that she is "the woman in the Taggart family"?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)