|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The common people.
(b) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(c) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(d) The National Alliance of Railroads
2. When Dagny is held up by the stopped train, how does she continue her way to Colorado?
(a) She buys a car and drives the rest of the way.
(b) She buys a plane and flies there.
(c) She hitchhikes to Colorado.
(d) She calls Hank to come take her the rest of the way.
3. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
(b) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
(c) The committees are selected by popular vote.
(d) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
4. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Cry Me a River
(c) Halley's opera,
(d) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
5. What, according to Rand, is worse than taking someone's life?
(a) Working only for the joy of creation and invention.
(b) Refusing to help the poor.
(c) Taking someone's life's work.
(d) Having an affair with a married person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cherryl go to visit Dagny?
2. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
3. What is the result of the government's decision to divert coal to the People's Republic of England?
4. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
5. When Kellogg gives Dagny a cigarette marked with the $ sign, why does he give her an entire pack of the cigarettes?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)