|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the coincidence of Dagny stopping the conductor from throwing a vagrant off the train she is taking to see Quentin Daniels?
(a) The man, Jeff Allen, once worked at Twentieth Century Motors.
(b) He turned out to be John Galt.
(c) He could finish the work Quentin Daniels had started.
(d) He knew how to operate a train.
2. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
(a) It is made of unusual tobacco.
(b) It cannot be lit.
(c) It is marked with a gold dollar sign.
(d) It is rolled in colored paper.
3. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(b) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(c) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(d) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
4. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(b) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(c) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
(d) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
5. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
(b) The committees are selected by popular vote.
(c) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
(d) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
2. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
3. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
4. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
5. After Francisco leaves her apartment, what does Dagny finally admit to Rearden?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)