|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 5 "Their Brothers' Keepers".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are there only half enough freight cars to ship the Minnesota wheat crop to the East coast?
(a) All the other cars have fallen apart.
(b) The wheat crop is not really important because there is enough wheat in the East already.
(c) Many of the freight cars have been converted into passenger cars.
(d) Meigs has sent the other 7,000 cars to pick up swamp soybeans in Louisiana.
2. Who does Dagny discover is working for her as a common laborer?
(a) John Galt
(b) Eddie Willers
(c) Ragnar Danneskjtzld
(d) Cuffy Meigs
3. What sarcastic comment does Dagny make to James Taggart and Wesley Mouch?
(a) Got what you've been asking for, all these years, gentlemen?
(b) Which one of you is planning to rob a bank?
(c) What's the point in running a business if there is no profit?
(d) You tell me how to run a train on bad rails.
4. When the Taggart board and the Washington influence peddlers meet, what is the irony of their meeting place?
(a) It is unheated because of the coal shortages.
(b) It is held in the terminal beneath the statue of Nathaniel Taggart.
(c) It gives complete control of Taggart Transcontinental to the government.
(d) It is in Dagny's office.
5. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(b) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(c) They cannot get the steel they need.
(d) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the gold $ sign on the cigarettes?
2. What happens to all the South American d'Anconia Copper Mines immediately after they are nationalized by the various governments?
3. What message on the city calendar marquee made Rearden laugh out loud?
4. What is the contrast between Dagny's response to the socialistic society and Cherryl's?
5. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)