|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He holds an engineering degree.
(b) He is Hank's brother.
(c) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(d) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(b) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(c) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(d) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
4. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To try and localte John Galt.
(b) To find Francisco and marry him.
(c) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(d) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
5. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
(b) His confused state of mind.
(c) His dream of flying.
(d) Making his pain go away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
2. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
3. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
4. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
5. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)