|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(b) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(c) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(d) They cannot get the steel they need.
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(b) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(c) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(d) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
4. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
(a) The Potato Famine.
(b) The French Revolution.
(c) The Spanish Revolution.
(d) The Spanish Inquisition.
5. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(b) It is not a true socialist idea.
(c) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(d) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
2. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
3. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
4. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
5. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)