|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The common people.
(b) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(c) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(d) The National Alliance of Railroads
2. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) In a dime store.
(b) At the train station.
(c) At a cocktail party.
(d) Friends introduce them.
3. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(b) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(c) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
(d) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
4. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(c) Halley's opera,
(d) Cry Me a River
5. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
(a) If he did, he would have to kill Potter.
(b) If he did, he would cancel his business plans.
(c) If he did, he would take his product off the market.
(d) If he did, he would have to give Rearden Metal to the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
4. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
5. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)