|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
(b) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
(c) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
(d) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
2. How old was Francisco when he took over d'Anconia Copper Mines?
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's opera,
(b) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(c) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(d) Cry Me a River
4. Why does Phillip want cash instead of a check for Rearden's contribution to Friends of Global Progress?
(a) He thinks Rearden's check is no good.
(b) He wants to pocket half of the cash.
(c) Friends for Global Progress does not accept checks.
(d) He doesn't want them to know that the money came from his capitalist brother.
5. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
(a) All his accomplishments after years of hard work.
(b) The demands made on him by an ungrateful family.
(c) The close link he has to his mother.
(d) The only thing that will ever come of Rearden metal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
2. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
4. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
5. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)