|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) At a cocktail party.
(b) In a dime store.
(c) At the train station.
(d) Friends introduce them.
2. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(b) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(c) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(d) It is not a true socialist idea.
3. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(b) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
(c) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(d) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
4. How does Rand show James Taggart's opportunism after the success of the John Galt Line?
(a) He decides to build a new line of his own.
(b) He takes credit for its success.
(c) He gives Dagny credit for saving the company.
(d) He buys more stock in the John Galt Line.
5. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(b) To find Francisco and marry him.
(c) To try and localte John Galt.
(d) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Hank Rearden, Dagny has had only one lover. She will not tell Rearden his name. Who was he?
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. What is "the chain"?
4. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
5. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)