|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
(b) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(c) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(d) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
2. What caused Francisco's ancestor out of Spain to Argentina where he became wealthy as a copper miner?
(a) The Potato Famine.
(b) The Spanish Revolution.
(c) The French Revolution.
(d) The Spanish Inquisition.
3. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) Friends introduce them.
(b) At the train station.
(c) In a dime store.
(d) At a cocktail party.
4. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
(a) He says only John Galt knows for sure.
(b) He says she is not ready to hear the answer.
(c) He says she already knows.
(d) He says he wants to take over the oil industry.
5. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(b) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(c) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(d) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
2. What does "the chain" represent to Henry Rearden?
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
4. What is so revolutionary about the motor that never went into production?
5. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)