|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(b) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(c) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(d) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
2. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
(a) They are looking for scrap iron.
(b) The are looking for usable parts for diesel engines.
(c) They are looking for new headquarters for Rearden Metal.
(d) They are looking for a new car.
3. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(b) To try and localte John Galt.
(c) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(d) To find Francisco and marry him.
4. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
(b) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
(c) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
(d) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
5. What game does Francisco play with the Mexican government and the American stockholders in the San Sebastian Mines?
(a) He plays poker with the Mexican President in a winner-take-all game.
(b) He knows the mines are worthless and wants to watch them go down with their own greed.
(c) He plays a game of marbles on the hotel room floor.
(d) He plays charades but no one can guess his subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
2. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
3. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
4. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
5. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)