|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
(a) Hank Rearden
(b) Francisco d'Anconia
(c) Claude Slagenhop
(d) Phillip Rearden
2. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
(a) The Mexican line is out of coal and must burn wood to run the trains.
(b) The US government is nationalizing all industry.
(c) The Mexican Government has nationalized the San Sebastian Mine and the Taggart railroad line
(d) Rearden refusus to supply metal for any railroad rails.
3. Why do Hank and Dagny try to find the old Twentieth Century Motor company?
(a) The are looking for usable parts for diesel engines.
(b) They are looking for a new car.
(c) They are looking for scrap iron.
(d) They are looking for new headquarters for Rearden Metal.
4. How does the organization, Friends of Global Progress, view Rearden Steel?
(a) That Rearden Steel will be its largest contributor.
(b) That Rearden represents the blackest element of social retrogression in the country.
(c) That it is an indignificant business that will likely fail.
(d) That Rearden Steel will one day belong to them.
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He is Hank's brother.
(b) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(c) He holds an engineering degree.
(d) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
4. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
5. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)