|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
(a) As the only gift Hank has ever given her.
(b) As an early anniversary present from Hank.
(c) Something made from the same thing as railroad rails and soup kettles.
(d) As a unique piece of jewelry that everyone in New York will envy.
2. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The common people.
(b) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(c) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(d) The National Alliance of Railroads
3. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) At a cocktail party.
(b) At the train station.
(c) In a dime store.
(d) Friends introduce them.
4. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) Books on building aircraft.
(b) The formula for Rearden metal.
(c) Plans for a revolutionary motor.
(d) The address of the chief engineer.
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He holds an engineering degree.
(b) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(c) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(d) He is Hank's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
2. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
3. What did the National Alliance of Railroads pass to eliminate competition?
4. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
5. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)