|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 9 "The Sacred and the Profane".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
(b) The common people.
(c) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(d) The National Alliance of Railroads
2. What is the purpose of the party Lillian plans to give in three months?
(a) Their wedding anniversary.
(b) A fund raiser for underprivileged children.
(c) A celebration of Rearden metal.
(d) Their social obligation to Dagny Taggart.
3. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(b) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(c) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(d) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
4. James and Cherryl begin their unlikely romance. Where does James meet her?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At a cocktail party.
(c) Friends introduce them.
(d) In a dime store.
5. What is the symbolism of Francisco lying on the floor with his arms spread out to his sides?
(a) Making his pain go away.
(b) His dream of flying.
(c) His confused state of mind.
(d) Sacrifice for what he believes in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lillian describe the bracelet?
2. What was Francisco's nickname for Dagny when they were children?
3. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
4. When Dagny demands that Francisco tell her why Ellis Wyatt will be wiped out in Colorado, why does he refuse to tell her?
5. What is Dagny's amazing discovery at Twentieth Century Motors?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)