|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 7 "The Moratorium on Brains".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(b) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(c) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(d) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
2. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
(a) The common people.
(b) Industrialists like Dagny and Rearden
(c) The National Alliance of Railroads
(d) Billionaires like Francisco d'Anconia.
3. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
(a) She accuses him of lying.
(b) She praises him for his generosity.
(c) She says the idea is despicable.
(d) She agrees that the motives were pure.
4. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(b) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
(c) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(d) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
5. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
(a) Rearden will have to comply with the government rules.
(b) Lillian's social connections are destroyed.
(c) In effect, he has won against the government.
(d) Other industrialists will go out of business.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
2. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
3. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
4. Where does Hank finally meet up with Danneskjtzld?
5. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)