|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 7 "The Moratorium on Brains".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To find Francisco and marry him.
(b) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(c) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(d) To try and localte John Galt.
2. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
(b) The committees are selected by popular vote.
(c) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
(d) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
3. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
(a) From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
(b) Never criticizing anyone for a mistake or cost overrun.
(c) Imposing great penalties on those who made mistakes.
(d) By paying the best salaries in the industry.
4. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
(a) Mouch offers to return the money Rearden has paid him.
(b) Mouch says the President will veto the bill.
(c) Nothing. Mouch is not answering his phone.
(d) Mouch tells him that the bill has no penalty written into it.
5. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
(b) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
(c) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(d) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
2. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
3. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
4. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
5. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)