|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 7 "The Moratorium on Brains".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the Thanksgiving dinner, why does Lillian urge Hank not to fight the lawsuit?
(a) She says they will assassinate him.
(b) She says he will damage her socially.
(c) She says he cannot win.
(d) She says he will win if he does not present a case.
2. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(b) They cannot get the steel they need.
(c) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(d) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
3. Danneskjtzld contrasts himself with what legendary hero?
(b) Robin Hood
4. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He holds an engineering degree.
(b) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(c) He is Hank's brother.
(d) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
5. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
(b) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
(c) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(d) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
2. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
3. Atlas is the Greek god who holds the world on his shoulders. In the novel, who is "Atlas"?
4. When Hank Rearden learns that the legislature has passed the Equalization of Opportunity Bill, what does he learn from Mouch, his lobbyist in Washington?
5. What is so unusual about the cigarette Dagny gets from Dr. Hugh Akston?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)