|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 7 "The Moratorium on Brains".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(b) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(c) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
(d) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
2. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(b) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
(c) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(d) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
3. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
(b) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(c) It is not a true socialist idea.
(d) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
4. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
(a) Halley's Fourth Concerto
(b) Tchaikovski's Symphony Pathetique
(c) Cry Me a River
(d) Halley's opera,
5. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
(b) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(c) To find Francisco and marry him.
(d) To try and localte John Galt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
2. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
3. How did the Sternes say they tried to run Twentieth Century Motors?
4. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)