|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 7 "The Moratorium on Brains".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
(a) In effect, he has won against the government.
(b) Other industrialists will go out of business.
(c) Lillian's social connections are destroyed.
(d) Rearden will have to comply with the government rules.
2. Why will Amalgamated Switch and Signal Company not complete Dagny's order for switches and signals on the Colorado line?
(a) They believe she cannot pay for the items.
(b) Too many people are opposed to Rearden metal.
(c) They made a deal with Jim Taggart not to supply the equipment.
(d) They cannot get the steel they need.
3. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
(b) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
(c) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
(d) The committees are selected by popular vote.
4. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
(a) His cooperation.
(b) His denial of any wrong doing.
(c) His account books.
(d) His civil rights.
5. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
(b) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
(c) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(d) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dagny's reaction to Eugene Lawson's claim that his motives were pure at Twentieth Century Motors because he never made a profit?
2. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
3. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
4. What does Danneskjtzld leave behind when he disappears into the darkness?
5. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)