|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 7 "The Moratorium on Brains".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the lie that James Taggart tells the Board of Taggert Railroad?
(a) That he foresaw this action, cut the schedule and removed the good equipment from that line.
(b) That the whole thing was Dagny's fault since she wanted the Mexican line.
(c) That Francisco d'Anconia had sold his copper mines to Mexico.
(d) That he would pay for all the company losses out of his own pocket.
2. What is the symbolism of the explosion in the Colorado tunnel?
(a) It is what happens when logic and reason are abandoned for political expediency.
(b) It represents the poor quality goods industrialists offer out of greed.
(c) It represents the end of an era.
(d) It marks the end of the Unification Board.
3. How does Rand let the reader know that there is a connection between Francisco and Danneskjtzld?
(a) Francisco's horror when he learns that Rearden ordered d'Anconia copper.
(b) Francisco offers to introduce Rearden to Danneskjtzld.
(c) Francisco tells Rearden that Danneskjtzld is coming to the city.
(d) Francisco does not react when Rearden mentions Danneskjtzld's name.
4. What is the problem Rearden sees in any government that professes to run by committee for the "public good."
(a) There is no morality of right and wrong involved.
(b) It favors industrialists who create jobs for the public.
(c) The moral purity of a committee cannot know what the public good is.
(d) The committees are selected by popular vote.
5. What does Hank Rearden's mother suggest is Phillip's qualification to work for Rearden Metal?
(a) He could get a job anywhere but wants to help his brother.
(b) He holds an engineering degree.
(c) He has the social skills that Hank lacks.
(d) He is Hank's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
2. Who offers to help Dagny solve the problem of the rotting wooden bridge on her Colorado line?
3. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
4. Danneskjtzld contrasts himself with what legendary hero?
5. What is the real outcome after the court fines Rearden $5,000 and gives him a suspended sentence?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)