|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 7 "The Moratorium on Brains".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dagny take a leave of absence from her job as Vice President of Operations at Taggart Transcontinental?
(a) To find Francisco and marry him.
(b) To supervise and finish the John Galt Line.
(c) To try and localte John Galt.
(d) To get away to Europe for a vacation.
2. What is Ayn Rand's objection to majority rule as put forth by the National Alliance of Railroads?
(a) It does not go far enough to protect everyone.
(b) It can be used to stifle competition, capitalism, and individualism.
(c) It is not a true socialist idea.
(d) It puts decision making in the hands of uneducted people.
3. Rand uses the failure of Twentieth Century Motors to make what point about socialism?
(a) The socialist system only takes from those with ability and gives to others who are less deserving.
(b) Production increases when everyone shares in the work.
(c) It is only fair that everyone make the same salary.
(d) The socialist system allows the greatest minds to get ahead.
4. What is the meaning of "Wyatt's torch"?
(a) Wyatt's threat to destroy the economy by setting fire to Washington.
(b) Wyatt's new flashlight invention.
(c) Wyatt's lighting after his electricity has been shut off.
(d) What is left after Wyatt's destruction of his oil fields.
5. Why can Dagny not learn the name of the third student at Patrick Henry University according to Dr. Akston?
(a) She will only learn it when he chooses to tell her himself.
(b) Nobody really knows who he is.
(c) He went to the university under an assumed name.
(d) The school records were in a fire and his records were lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does James Taggart receive that Dagny had predicted?
2. What does Rearden say the government needed to win against him.
3. At home and in despair, what music is Dagny listening to when she puts down her head and cries?
4. Dr. Potter of the State Science Institute threatens Rearden who pretends not to understand his threats. Why?
5. How does Hank protect Danneskjtzld when the police arrive?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)