Part 1, Chapter 1 "The Theme"
• The book begins with the enigmatic question: Who is John Galt?
• Eddie Willers recalls his youth with Dagny and James Taggart.
• Eddie is now working for his former childhood friends.
• Dagny's expertise about the trains is demonstrated in her knowing what to do when the train she is riding comes to an unexpected stop.
• Amid all the financial problems with Taggart Transcontinental, the theme of Halley's Fifth Concerto indicates that the problems will grow larger.
Part 1, Chapter 2 "The Chain"
• The opening picture of Hank Rearden is that of a man enjoying the sight of his productive accomplishments.
• Rearden returns home late to endless criticism from his pseudo-socialist family.
• Rearden's proud gift of a crude bracelet made from the first pouring of Rearden Metal is ridiculed by his wife Lillian.
• Phillip gets a $10,000 donation to the charity he is raising money for but demands cash...
This section contains 3,467 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)