|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Tim to the airport?
2. What do people around Tim comment on when they see him in Chapter 20?
3. What does Tim eat in his kitchen right before fainting?
4. How long will Olivia have to remain in the hospital?
5. How did Willard die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dooley get into a food fight? Why isn't Tim more upset about it?
2. What do we know about Andrew Gregory?
3. Explain the dynamics of Olivia and Hoppy's relationship in Chapters 13-16.
4. Describe the reunion between Tim and Barnabas.
5. When visiting Russell Jacks, Tim remarks that "the man has seemingly turned into an older version of Dooley." What does Tim mean by this comment?
6. How are readers introduced to George Gaynor?
7. Hobbes is homeless, yet decides to give his reward money to the poor, who live in the woods. How do you explain his attitude?
8. What is Tim's response to Cynthia's proposal that she and Tim go steady?
9. Who is Sadie's long-lost relative? How do readers find out about this?
10. Which is your favorite character in this book? Which is your least favorite character in this book? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Father Tim and Cynthia? Why do you think Tim decides to take such a long time deciding whether to be in a relationship with Cynthia? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Describe an ethical dilemma Karon presents in her book. What are the circumstances of this dilemma? How is it ultimately resolved? Would you have resolved it differently?
Essay Topic 3
How does Karon incorporate the concept of man versus self in her novel? Which character do you think is the best example of man versus self, and why?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)