|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tim go so many years without driving?
2. What is Tim sure he can smell in the church when he is there alone at night?
3. What is the inscription that Willard carves in the Porter House?
4. To whom has Tim devoted his life to, up until this point?
5. Where do Tim and Cynthia have a picnic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tim and Cynthia part at the end of the book?
2. How does Tim feel as he leaves for his trip?
3. Why does Cynthia think Tim is angry with her?
4. Ron Malcolm takes off his shoes and gives them to George Gaynor. Why does he do this? What does this represent?
5. What is Tim's response to Cynthia's proposal that she and Tim go steady?
6. Why do you think Tim is ignoring the doctor's directions to eat well and exercise?
7. Prior to Tim going into the hospital, what specific stressors was he facing?
8. Explain the dynamics of Olivia and Hoppy's relationship in Chapters 13-16.
9. Hobbes is homeless, yet decides to give his reward money to the poor, who live in the woods. How do you explain his attitude?
10. Describe the character of Homeless Hobbes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of Karon's work, "At Home in Mitford," seems straightforward yet indicates a particular significance about a place. In your opinion, why did Karon choose this particular title for her work? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Father Tim and Cynthia? Why do you think Tim decides to take such a long time deciding whether to be in a relationship with Cynthia? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of companionship is present throughout Karon's novel. What can readers learn about Karon's characters when they are in relationships with others? Be sure to give specific examples.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)