|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barnabas do when he sees Tim after being separated from him?
2. Where is Tim when a man climbs down from the church attic?
3. Where does Puny meet Joe's family?
4. What does Tim discover in the playroom?
5. Where do Miss Rose and Uncle Billy move to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Hobbes is homeless, yet decides to give his reward money to the poor, who live in the woods. How do you explain his attitude?
2. Describe the scene in the hospital after Joe is shot.
3. Who is Sadie's long-lost relative? How do readers find out about this?
4. What does the bishop tell Tim he should do near the end of the book? Why do you think he tells Tim this?
5. How does Barnabas go missing?
6. Why does Dooley get into a food fight? Why isn't Tim more upset about it?
7. Explain the symbolic meaning of the death bell at the church.
8. How are readers introduced to George Gaynor?
9. Prior to Tim going into the hospital, what specific stressors was he facing?
10. When visiting Russell Jacks, Tim remarks that "the man has seemingly turned into an older version of Dooley." What does Tim mean by this comment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Karon's story ultimately resolved? Do you think the plot was adequately resolved? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does the small town setting have on Karon's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the setting have on characters, and how might they be different had the story been set in a different place?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main theme of Karon's novel? Identify at least three events in "At Home in Mitford" that communicate this theme.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)