|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Tim and Dooley go together after Puny upsets Dooley?
2. How old is Tim?
3. Who is the mayor of Mitford?
4. How much does Miss Sadie weigh?
5. Who had Sadie fallen in love with long ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tim's medical problem as addressed in Chapters 1-4.
2. Describe the town of Mitford from what you know after reading Chapters 1-4.
3. How are birth and death intertwined in Chapters 9-12?
4. How does Tim come to have a black dog? What is special about the dog?
5. Why are specific characters pleased that Sadie's painting is not a Vermeer?
6. Compare and contrast the characters of Emma and Puny.
7. Who celebrates Thanksgiving together in Mitford?
8. What do you think of the relationship between Tim and Dooley by Chapter 12?
9. What do you think about the people in the town being Tim's 'family'? Do you think this is a healthy thing? Why or why not?
10. Describe the situation Father Tim faces at the beginning of Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think is the main theme of Karon's novel? Identify at least three events in "At Home in Mitford" that communicate this theme.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the concept of a tragic hero (or heroine). Describe one character in Karon's book that you think can be described as a tragic hero, and explain what makes this person fit the description. Why did Karon decide to include this particular character in her book? What does he or she represent?
Essay Topic 3
The title of Karon's work, "At Home in Mitford," seems straightforward yet indicates a particular significance about a place. In your opinion, why did Karon choose this particular title for her work? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)