|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tim find on his chin after Cynthia leaves his house?
2. What does Tim find missing from the church refrigerator?
3. How much does the appraiser say the painting is worth?
4. What does Tim start doing 3 times a week?
5. Who does Harold Newland want to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tim come to have a black dog? What is special about the dog?
2. Why are specific characters pleased that Sadie's painting is not a Vermeer?
3. How are birth and death intertwined in Chapters 9-12?
4. What sorts of family troubles does Dooley have?
5. Why do you think Tim doesn't think much about the future neighbor he will have?
6. Describe the town of Mitford from what you know after reading Chapters 1-4.
7. Do you like Barnabas? Why or why not?
8. Describe Tim's medical problem as addressed in Chapters 1-4.
9. Why do you think Tim and Dooley get along so well?
10. What do you make of Tim finding jewels in the urn at the columbarium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would you describe the development of the relationship between Father Tim and Cynthia? Why do you think Tim decides to take such a long time deciding whether to be in a relationship with Cynthia? What benefits do both characters derive from the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does the small town setting have on Karon's novel? How does it add to the story? What impact does the setting have on characters, and how might they be different had the story been set in a different place?
Essay Topic 3
Karon uses a narrative point of view throughout her entire book. Why do you think she chose to write this way? What are the pros and cons of using this point of view in this particular story?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)