|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dooley receive for Christmas?
2. What does Emma Garrett suggest would make Father Tim's life better?
3. What does Emma tell Tim has been stolen from the kitchen?
4. Why is this birthday gift particularly important to Tim?
5. What is the name of Marge Owen's baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do readers know about Cynthia from Chapters 9-12?
2. Describe the relationship between Tim and Dooley.
3. What does Tim learn from Puny Bradshaw?
4. Describe the town of Mitford from what you know after reading Chapters 1-4.
5. Describe the relationship between Tim and Emma.
6. How are birth and death intertwined in Chapters 9-12?
7. Why do you think Tim doesn't think much about the future neighbor he will have?
8. In Chapter 5, how do readers see that Father Tim is more than just a rector to the people of Mitford?
9. Why do you think Tim and Dooley get along so well?
10. Tim says he gets a "simple joy" from being with Cynthia. What do you think this is like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe an instance of situational irony in Karon's book. Why would she have included this? What does it add to the overall effect of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What instances of foreshadowing does Karon use in her book? Describe at least three. Do you think this use of foreshadowing is helpful in terms of making the book more interesting?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Barnabas and Dooley. How are their lives different? How are the characters the same?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)