|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tim's breakfast companion tell him he can expect in the fall?
2. What does Sadie serve to her guests when she makes her big announcement?
3. Who has a friend who is an appraiser?
4. What does Billy give Tim?
5. Who talks at Tim's dinner party about living in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Tim and Cynthia meet?
2. What does Sadie find in her attic? Why is this significant?
3. Describe the relationship between Tim and Dooley.
4. Who celebrates Thanksgiving together in Mitford?
5. Why does Olivia want to read the Bible to people at Mitford Hospital?
6. Compare and contrast the characters of Emma and Puny.
7. What do you think of the relationship between Tim and Dooley by Chapter 12?
8. Why is Uncle Billy worried? How does Tim help alleviate this worry?
9. How does Tim come to have a black dog? What is special about the dog?
10. What do readers know about Cynthia from Chapters 9-12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Karon exhibit the concept of loneliness in her book? Which characters do you think are the most lonely? Is this loneliness resolved at any point? How?
Essay Topic 2
How does Karon incorporate the concept of man versus self in her novel? Which character do you think is the best example of man versus self, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Karon's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)