|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the people want to protect so that they refrained from calling the police?
2. What is Davy's title?
3. Davy uses which animal as a reference when discussing the tight lipped attitude of the suspects?
4. At this point who is believed to be the murderer?
5. What noise is heard inside the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Davy learn about Pennyfather's return? What step is taken next?
2. How does Davy intend to interview the employees at Bertram's without intimidating them or giving away his angle on the robbery case?
3. What seems to be odd about the information received from the employees at Bertram's?
4. How does Pennyfather respond to the questions asked by Davy?
5. What is the topic of conversation between Father and his boss at Scotland Yard?
6. What unusual item does Miss Marple spot outside the restaurant?
7. Discuss the interview Father has with Elvira and Lady Sedgwick. Why did Elvira return to Bertram's Hotel?
8. How does Elvira react when Father asks her about previous murder attempts? Discuss at least one of the attempts on Elvira's life.
9. What piece of information would highly benefit Father and the investigation? Does Father get permission to take the next step? What information does Father discover?
10. Discuss Davy's interview with Miss Marple. What information did she supply to Father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Miss Marple is a well known amateur detective. Examine Miss Marple's experience and credibility. Why do people listen to an amateur detective that is also an elderly woman? What is Miss Marple's reputation? What does Miss Marple get out of helping to solve cases? Is there a chance of accolades, awards or monetary compensation? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Christie's brilliant use of foreshadowing throughout the book. Give at least three examples of foreshadowing. Give details and the purpose of using the technique. How else could the reader learn about the important information? What other technique might have been used?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Lady Sedgwick then and now. How did they find one another? What was the point of Gorman trying to blackmail Lady Sedgwick? Wouldn't it cause Gorman as much harm? Was Lady Sedgwick's threat sincere? Do you think Lady Sedgwick murdered Gorman? Explain the series of events to follow.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)