|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Marple goes shopping in which town?
2. What nationality is linked to the train?
3. Who becomes the first to be worried when the missing person does not arrive at home on time?
4. What is the name of Elvira's friend?
5. What is the number of Colonel Luscombe's favorite room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Pennyfather to be so late returning to the hotel? How does he get into his room?
2. What is the reason for Miss Marple's trip to Bertram's Hotel? Who is paying for the trip?
3. Which guest is recognized and identified properly? What is the guest's reputation?
4. What happens when Pennyfather gets to his room?
5. Describe Bertram's Hotel, its location, architecture, and reputation.
6. Discuss the interaction between Colonel Luscombe and Miss Gorringe.
7. How does Pennyfather decide to amuse himself with the extra time? Why does he make the choice?
8. Describe the confrontation between Lady Sedgwick and Michael Gorman.
9. Where does Miss Marple go shopping? Who does she see when she stops for lunch?
10. What is Luscombe's reply? What does Luscombe try to do to ease the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elvira Blake is a privileged girl of nineteen years. Write a complete character description of Elvira Blake. Include Elvira's fortune and impending inheritance, Elvira's sense of entitlement, and her propensity to do whatever it takes to get what she wants. Also be sure to include her relationships with Luscombe, Bridget, her parents, and Malinowski.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Lady Sedgwick then and now. How did they find one another? What was the point of Gorman trying to blackmail Lady Sedgwick? Wouldn't it cause Gorman as much harm? Was Lady Sedgwick's threat sincere? Do you think Lady Sedgwick murdered Gorman? Explain the series of events to follow.
Essay Topic 3
Write your own murder mystery based on "At Bertram's Hotel." Use Miss Marple and Father as recurring characters in the story. Supply complete storyboards. Include character information, plot, and synopsis. Explain your inspiration.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)