|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is linked to the train?
2. What item does Elvira return after she is back in the city?
3. What type of store is visited by Miss Marple?
4. How old is Humfries?
5. Whom does Elvira go to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pennyfather decide to amuse himself with the extra time? Why does he make the choice?
2. Who does Elvira visit? What topic is discussed between the two?
3. What question does Luscombe ask Humfries? What is the reply?
4. What does Elvira learn when she returns from Ireland? What does Elvira do next?
5. Describe Bertram's Hotel, its location, architecture, and reputation.
6. How is the matter of the stolen bracelet solved? What is the jeweler's reaction?
7. Colonel Luscombe broaches a delicate subject with Lady Sedgwick. What is the subject? What is Lady Sedgwick's reply?
8. What causes Pennyfather to be so late returning to the hotel? How does he get into his room?
9. How does Elvira's plan work? What item is taken?
10. Where does Miss Marple go shopping? Who does she see when she stops for lunch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Agatha Christie is known as the grand dame of the British mystery world. Read a biography on Agatha Christie. Learn about her life, career as a writer, etc. Create a character description as if Christie was one of her own characters. How might Christie portray herself in a novel? Would she be a detective, villain, or victim? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Chief Inspector Fred Davy works at Scotland Yard. What is Davy's job? Why is he referred to as "Father?" Write a biography on Davy. Also explain the purpose of Scotland Yard and why it appears in most British crime novels.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Lady Sedgwick then and now. How did they find one another? What was the point of Gorman trying to blackmail Lady Sedgwick? Wouldn't it cause Gorman as much harm? Was Lady Sedgwick's threat sincere? Do you think Lady Sedgwick murdered Gorman? Explain the series of events to follow.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)