|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pennyfather forget to leave behind when he left the hotel to go to the airport?
2. In chapter one, who is sitting in the lounge having tea?
3. Who does Elvira call after returning from her trip?
4. Where does the big meeting take place?
5. Who arrives at the house during the man's absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which guest is recognized and identified properly? What is the guest's reputation?
2. What happens to Canon Pennyfather? Who reports him missing?
3. What aspect of Elvira's life is also under Luscombe's care? What does Elvira want to know about it?
4. Discuss the interaction between Colonel Luscombe and Miss Gorringe.
5. Describe the opening scene, the first character and the activity of the afternoon.
6. What is the reason for Miss Marple's trip to Bertram's Hotel? Who is paying for the trip?
7. Where does Miss Marple go shopping? Who does she see when she stops for lunch?
8. What does Miss Marple do first thing in the morning?
9. How does Elvira's plan work? What item is taken?
10. What causes Pennyfather to be so late returning to the hotel? How does he get into his room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the reputation of Lady Bess Sedgwick. Why is Lady Sedgwick seen as being a wild character? What has she done? Where are the stories reported? Do you think the stories are true? Does Lady Sedgwick do anything to dispel any rumors?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Lady Sedgwick and Malinowski. What is the nature of their relationship? Is it personal, professional, or both? How did they meet? How does Elvira fit into the relationship? What plans have been made about their future?
Essay Topic 3
Chief Inspector Fred Davy works at Scotland Yard. What is Davy's job? Why is he referred to as "Father?" Write a biography on Davy. Also explain the purpose of Scotland Yard and why it appears in most British crime novels.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)