|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the house during the man's absence?
2. Who is in attendance at the meeting?
3. How old is Humfries?
4. What adjective is used to describe Bertram's Hotel?
5. Who does Miss Marple call when it is time for breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Colonel Luscombe broaches a delicate subject with Lady Sedgwick. What is the subject? What is Lady Sedgwick's reply?
2. What happens when Pennyfather gets to his room?
3. Describe the opening scene, the first character and the activity of the afternoon.
4. Who meets Colonel Luscombe at the hotel? What is the relationship between the pair?
5. What does Elvira learn when she returns from Ireland? What does Elvira do next?
6. Describe the confrontation between Lady Sedgwick and Michael Gorman.
7. What is Luscombe's reply? What does Luscombe try to do to ease the situation?
8. What question does Luscombe ask Humfries? What is the reply?
9. What aspect of Elvira's life is also under Luscombe's care? What does Elvira want to know about it?
10. Where does Miss Marple go shopping? Who does she see when she stops for lunch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reason Lady Sedgwick gave up custody of Elvira. Do you think it was a good or bad choice? Do you think Lady Sedgwick shared the real reason? What was Gorman's explanation? How does Elvira learn the truth about her parents? How does Ireland play into the story?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the story, Luscombe talks about Elvira's trip to Kent. Why is Elvira scheduled to go to Kent? Who will Elvira meet there? How long will Elvira stay? Does Elvira ever go to Kent? Do you think Elvira will go to Kent in the future?
Essay Topic 3
Canon Pennyfather was scheduled to fly to Lucerne. What was the purpose of the trip? Who else would be in the city? What is Pennyfather's profession? What do you think caused Pennyfather's amnesia? Who was the person that resembled Pennyfather? Do you think Pennyfather had anything to do with the robberies or Gorman's death? Explain.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)