|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relative of Elvira's lives in Kent?
2. Where does Pennyfather go to catch a plane?
3. Who does Miss Marple call when it is time for breakfast?
4. What was the name of the city mentioned in the conversation between Lady Sedgwick and her guest?
5. Lady Sedgwick warns that if Gorman ever makes the same attempt again, she will ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pennyfather gets to his room?
2. What is Luscombe's reply? What does Luscombe try to do to ease the situation?
3. How is the matter of the stolen bracelet solved? What is the jeweler's reaction?
4. Describe the confrontation between Lady Sedgwick and Michael Gorman.
5. Who overhears the conversation between Sedgwick and Gorman? What does Sedgwick do about the situation?
6. What happens to Canon Pennyfather? Who reports him missing?
7. How does Pennyfather decide to amuse himself with the extra time? Why does he make the choice?
8. Colonel Luscombe broaches a delicate subject with Lady Sedgwick. What is the subject? What is Lady Sedgwick's reply?
9. Where does Miss Marple go shopping? Who does she see when she stops for lunch?
10. What does Miss Marple do first thing in the morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Luscombe and Elvira. Why does Elvira need at guardian if she is nineteen years old? How long will the relationship last? At what age does Elvira receive her inheritance? Are Elvira and Luscombe on good terms? Why, if Luscombe is Elvira's guardian, is he not privy to her financial information through the family lawyer?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the story Lady Hazy points out many different guests to Miss Marple although many of the identities are incorrect. Discuss mistaken identities as they relate to the story. Do you think there was another purpose to Lady Hazy's discussion or was it simply entertaining to have Miss Marple realize the error? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Bertram's Hotel is an old hotel tucked away in an exclusive part of London. Discuss Bertram's Hotel. When was the hotel built? Who owns it? What type of clientele patronizes Bertram's? How did the hotel get its generations-old reputation? How was the hotel used in at least one crime?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)