|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Getafix willing to make the antidote for Crismus?
2. What does Getafix make for Asterix?
3. What does Asterix put on that amuses Getafix but infuriates Crismus?
4. After drinking the antidote, what does Crismus order the Roman guards to do?
5. What does Asterix's release foreshadow for Asterix in the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Asterix redeem himself in front of Caesar?
2. How does Crismus finally receive the strawberries he needs to give Getaflix?
3. Why does Crismus Bonus cry?
4. How does Crismus Bonus respond when he hears about Asterix's arrival?
5. How does the audience receive the lesson or message that "wrong begets punishment" in the final section of the novel?
6. What are Crimus Bonus and Marcus Ginantonicus plotting?
7. How does the cart seller respond to Asterix's capture?
8. What makes Crismus furious with Asterix and Getaflix?
9. Why does Crismus get angry with Getaflix in Section 4?
10. Why is Caesar not impressed with Crismus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goscinny is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Goscinny chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 2
Torture is the method by which Crismus Bonus tries to persuade Getafix to give him the recipe for his magic potion for strength. Is it effective? Is this fair? Why or why not? Discuss torture as a means of punishment and enforcing law as discussed in Asterix the Gaul.
Essay Topic 3
"The idea of the weak who defeat the strong appeals," says Uderzo of the popularity of the comic series. What do you think of this statement? Explain.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)