|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the guards in front of the tent scared of Asterix?
2. What does Getafix make for Asterix?
3. When Asterix and Getafix say they are too tired, where do they retire?
4. What does the person in the tent ask to see from Crismus?
5. When Asterix sees a heavily guarded tent, what does he say to the guards in front?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is funny about Asterix's behavior when the torturer arrives and what does it signify?
2. How does the audience receive the lesson or message that "wrong begets punishment" in the final section of the novel?
3. What happens when the Gauls convey the antidote to the Romans?
4. How does Asterix gain access to Getaflix's tent?
5. What are Crimus Bonus and Marcus Ginantonicus plotting?
6. Why does Crismus Bonus cry?
7. How is Crismus careless and what does this cost him?
8. How does Crismus finally receive the strawberries he needs to give Getaflix?
9. Why are strawberries important to Getaflix?
10. Why is it difficult to get strawberries?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Torture is the method by which Crismus Bonus tries to persuade Getafix to give him the recipe for his magic potion for strength. Is it effective? Is this fair? Why or why not? Discuss torture as a means of punishment and enforcing law as discussed in Asterix the Gaul.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Getaflix. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Getaflix's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are some instances of magic and the supernatural displayed throughout the novel? What is the significance of potions? Describe.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)