|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Getafix make for Asterix?
2. Who finally volunteers for Crimus Bonus' request?
3. What does Caesar say about Asterix and Getafix?
4. What does Asterix do that Getafix considers madness?
5. When Asterix is tied to the table, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Crismus Bonus cry?
2. How does Asterix redeem himself in front of Caesar?
3. How does the audience receive the lesson or message that "wrong begets punishment" in the final section of the novel?
4. What is funny about Asterix's behavior when the torturer arrives and what does it signify?
5. How does Getaflix render the Romans powerless?
6. Why is Getaflix willing to give in to Crismus' demand?
7. What makes Crismus furious with Asterix and Getaflix?
8. How does Crismus Bonus respond when he hears about Asterix's arrival?
9. Why is it difficult to get strawberries?
10. What does the cloak in the tent signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asterix the Gaul is a classic graphic novel. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Torture is the method by which Crismus Bonus tries to persuade Getafix to give him the recipe for his magic potion for strength. Is it effective? Is this fair? Why or why not? Discuss torture as a means of punishment and enforcing law as discussed in Asterix the Gaul.
Essay Topic 3
Politics are also referred to in the book. Goscinny refers to the politics of Roman colonists and Gaul citizens. Discuss the use of politics in the graphic novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Goscinny incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)