|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crismus offer in exchange for an antidote?
2. Who emerges as an untrustworthy character by the end of Section 4?
3. What is the fate meted out to the conspirators against Caesar?
4. When Asterix and Getafix return to the tent, who is not allowed to watch them make the antidote?
5. What does Getafix make for Asterix?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three instances that Crismus lies?
2. How does Crismus Bonus respond when he hears about Asterix's arrival?
3. How does the cart seller respond to Asterix's capture?
4. How does Asterix redeem himself in front of Caesar?
5. Describe Caesar.
6. How are future adventures foreshadowed by the end of the novel?
7. What is funny about Asterix's behavior when the torturer arrives and what does it signify?
8. How does the audience receive the lesson or message that "wrong begets punishment" in the final section of the novel?
9. Why does Crismus get angry with Getaflix in Section 4?
10. How does Getaflix render the Romans powerless?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the use of names in Asterix the Gaul. The very names provide examples of brilliant uses of dialogue, such as Asterix or a small, seeming addition; Obelisk, who delivers menhirs; and Getafix, the Druid. Discuss the brilliant use of dialogue through names.
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. Goscinny refers to the politics of Roman colonists and Gaul citizens. Discuss the use of politics in the graphic novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Goscinny incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the motif of intelligence. Identify at least two motifs about cunning and intelligence in the book. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)