|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the messenger carries the ingredient to Getafix, what does Getafix do?
2. What do the soldiers do to Asterix at Crismus' command?
3. What does Crismus Bonus do when he learns about Asterix's arrival at the tent?
4. When Asterix and Getafix return to the tent, who is not allowed to watch them make the antidote?
5. Who plots against Caesar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is funny about Asterix's behavior when the torturer arrives and what does it signify?
2. How does Asterix use his cunning to rescue Getafix?
3. How are future adventures foreshadowed by the end of the novel?
4. Describe Caesar.
5. How does Crismus Bonus respond when he hears about Asterix's arrival?
6. How does Asterix gain access to Getaflix's tent?
7. How does Getaflix render the Romans powerless?
8. How does Asterix fool Crismus Bonus into thinking that he and Getaflix are at Crismus' mercy?
9. How does Crismus finally receive the strawberries he needs to give Getaflix?
10. How does the audience receive the lesson or message that "wrong begets punishment" in the final section of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Asterix and the Obelix are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that the Asterix had a direct influence upon? What are some events that the Obelix had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is good versus evil. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between good and evil obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in the battle? Do you think the right person won? Does good always triumph over evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What are some instances of magic and the supernatural displayed throughout the novel? What is the significance of potions? Describe.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)