|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days does Morris spend in the hospital?
2. What does Morris look at while walking along the street?
3. What does the note that Helen slips Frank say?
4. What is the skinny man's profession?
5. Who will buy Morris' house and store?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the skinny man's proposition? What does Morris do?
2. What did Charlie Sobeloff do to Morris?
3. How does Helen feel about Frank not being Jewish?
4. How does business at the store change? What does Frank do to try and help it?
5. Describe Helen and Frank's first kiss.
6. How does Morris view his luck in this chapter?
7. Describe Helen and Frank's arguments about sex, and how they are resolved.
8. How does Ward die?
9. What arrangement does Karp propose to Morris?
10. What plans does Helen have if she and Frank get married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the symbols used by the author in the novel. Be sure to address at least three symbols used by the author, with the essay focusing on their deeper meaning and role within the story.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that critically reviews THE ASSISTANT by Bernard Malamud, in a formal book review style. Be sure to address:
1) Major themes of the novel and how well they are communicated to readers.
2) Your opinion on the writing style used by the author.
3) The universal importance of the book's subject matter.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the topic of poverty, choosing your own focus for the subject. Recommended points to touch upon are:
1) The prevalence of poverty in the industrialized world.
2) Current policies and programs in place for fighting poverty, and their level of effectiveness.
3) Policy ideas for tackling poverty.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)