|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the uniform at Sobeloff's market?
2. What does Morris look at while walking along the street?
3. Who does Morris dream of?
4. Who puts out the fire that Morris starts?
5. How many days after being hospitalized does Morris die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does business at the store change? What does Frank do to try and help it?
2. How does Morris view his luck in this chapter?
3. Describe the nightmare Morris has. What do you think it means?
4. How does Frank plan on convincing Morris to let him stay?
5. What happens to Karp's liquor store? How does Morris feel about it?
6. What plans does Helen have if she and Frank get married?
7. Describe Helen and Frank's first kiss.
8. How does Helen feel about Frank not being Jewish?
9. What options are left open for the Bobers and their store?
10. Describe Helen and Frank's arguments about sex, and how they are resolved.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the life choices made by character in THE ASSISTANT. Be sure to address:
1) Themes and examples of regret and missed opportunities.
2) Examples of good and bad life choices made by characters in the novel.
3) The message you feel Bernard Malamud is communicating to readers regarding life choices.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the plight of family-owned business in the industrialized world. Be sure to address:
1) Threats to and challenges faced by family-owned business in America and worldwide.
2) How important you feel protecting family-owned business is, and why.
3) Policy suggestions for protecting and improving family-owned business.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the character and morality of Frank Alpine. Be sure to address:
1) Whether you feel Frank Alpine is a moral or immoral character, with evidence from the text.
2) Turning points in the character growth of Frank Alpine.
3) Whether or not you would want Frank Alpine as a friend, and why.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)