Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who telephones Helen?
2. How does Frank feel about Jews?
3. What did Frank have a role in?
4. How much money in sales did Ida take in while Morris slept?
5. What does Louis say Helen makes him do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Helen and Frank's arguments about sex, and how they are resolved.
2. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
3. How does Frank feel about Helen?
4. How are Helen's feelings for Frank changing?
5. How does Frank intend to beat the Norwegians?
6. How does Morris view his luck in this chapter?
7. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
8. What did Charlie Sobeloff do to Morris?
9. How does Frank plan on convincing Morris to let him stay?
10. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the use of dreams and dream sequences in THE ASSISTANT. Be sure to address:
1) The role of dreams in the novel.
2) Examples of how dreams have influenced characters and foreshadowed events.
3) What you feel the role of dreams are in our everyday lives.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an essay on the history of ethnic groups in New York City. Be sure to address:
1) Early ethnic groups to settle in New York.
2) Conflicts between ethnic groups in New York.
3) The current state of multiculturalism in New York today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the symbols used by the author in the novel. Be sure to address at least three symbols used by the author, with the essay focusing on their deeper meaning and role within the story.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)