|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frank looking for?
2. What type of car does Louis Karp drive?
3. What causes the house to always be dusty?
4. What improper thing does Frank do at the end of the chapter?
5. Where does Frank Alpine say he is living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between the old woman and the Bobers.
2. How does Frank get a chance to talk to Helen? How does Helen react?
3. Why does Ida resent Morris and their current situation? What responsibility does she have for the state of their lives?
4. How is business at the store?
5. How is business at the store around Christmas? What explanation does Ida give for this?
6. How does Frank do while filling in for Morris?
7. What traumatic event caused a change in Morris' habits?
8. Describe Frank's early family life.
9. How does Frank feel about Helen?
10. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the character and morality of Frank Alpine. Be sure to address:
1) Whether you feel Frank Alpine is a moral or immoral character, with evidence from the text.
2) Turning points in the character growth of Frank Alpine.
3) Whether or not you would want Frank Alpine as a friend, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing your vision of the ideal lifestyle. Be sure to address:
1) What you feel are the most important aspects of a good lifestyle, and what to avoid.
2) How one can attain the ideal lifestyle, and how realistic this lifestyle is.
3) How THE ASSISTANT by Bernard Malamud has influenced your view of the ideal lifestyle.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write an essay on the history of ethnic groups in New York City. Be sure to address:
1) Early ethnic groups to settle in New York.
2) Conflicts between ethnic groups in New York.
3) The current state of multiculturalism in New York today.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)