|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the magazine that Morris reads?
2. When does Helen usually drop her friends?
3. Who does Helen expect the phone call to be from?
4. What does the old woman want?
5. What does Ida hate to touch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank reward himself for working hard? Is this suspicious?
2. What does Nick, the tenant, do to offend Morris?
3. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
4. How is business at the store?
5. What is the difference between Nat Pearl and Louis Karp?
6. Describe the relationship between the old woman and the Bobers.
7. What traumatic event caused a change in Morris' habits?
8. What does Helen give Frank to prepare him for school? How does Frank react?
9. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
10. How does Helen react to Nat's telephone call?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the role of the family provider. Be sure to address:
1) Changing trends in family providers, including gender roles, state involvement, and so on.
2) How being a family provider is dealt with in THE ASSISTANT, and the issues characters face in regards to being a provider.
3) Important characteristics and personality traits of a good family provider.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the American Dream. Be sure to address:
1) What the American Dream means to you.
2) Obstacles faced by new Americans trying to achieve the American Dream.
3) Whether or not you feel the American Dream is still alive today, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of education and the state of education in the industrialized world. Issues to consider:
1) Minimum levels of education.
2) Access to education, including cost and geography.
3) The importance of education for the average person.
4) Current trends in education and issues faced by graduates.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)