|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favor does Frank do for Morris?
2. Where is the old woman from?
3. How much money does Frank take in while minding the store?
4. What does Morris average for the last two weeks in December?
5. When does Helen usually drop her friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is business at the store around Christmas? What explanation does Ida give for this?
2. According to Morris, what does it mean to be Jewish?
3. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
4. Describe the relationship between the old woman and the Bobers.
5. What is the difference between Nat Pearl and Louis Karp?
6. What does Frank Alpine say about his luck and opportunities?
7. What does Morris do for the young girl? What does this tell you about his character?
8. How does Helen feel about Frank now?
9. What do you think the relevance of St. Francis is to the story?
10. Who is the man hanging around the neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how you feel Frank and Helen's lives turn out following the end of the novel. Be sure to address:
1) How you feel the character traits of Frank and Helen will determine their futures.
2) Whether or not you think Frank and Helen will marry, and why.
3) Whether you feel the author intends the reader to have a positive or negative impression of Frank and Helen's lives following the end of the story, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the character strengths and weaknesses of Morris Bober. Be sure to address:
1) How Morris character traits influence his past and present life.
2) How Morris views and responds to the world and opportunities around him.
3) Whether or not you feel Morris is a tragically flawed character, and why (with evidence from the text).
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the American Dream. Be sure to address:
1) What the American Dream means to you.
2) Obstacles faced by new Americans trying to achieve the American Dream.
3) Whether or not you feel the American Dream is still alive today, and why.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)