|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the girl who enters the store?
2. What does Helen promise herself she will do in the fall?
3. What is the longest Frank can stay in one place?
4. What book is Helen reading on the subway?
5. What type of car does Louis Karp drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think that Frank redeems himself in the novel?
2. What thoughts are troubling Morris at the beginning of the chapter?
3. What does Frank Alpine say about his luck and opportunities?
4. What options are left open for the Bobers and their store?
5. How does Frank plan on convincing Morris to let him stay?
6. How does Morris nearly die? Who saves him?
7. What does Helen give Frank to prepare him for school? How does Frank react?
8. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
9. What does Morris do for the young girl? What does this tell you about his character?
10. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the plight of family-owned business in the industrialized world. Be sure to address:
1) Threats to and challenges faced by family-owned business in America and worldwide.
2) How important you feel protecting family-owned business is, and why.
3) Policy suggestions for protecting and improving family-owned business.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the death of Morris Bober. Be sure to address:
1) Why you feel the author decided to 'kill off' Morris.
2) The message and meaning behind Morris' death.
3) The importance of the timing of Morris' death.
4) How Morris' death affected you personally as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the romantic relationship between Frank Alpine and Helen Bober. Be sure to address:
1) What you think attracts Frank and Helen to each other, with evidence from the text.
2) Major obstacles to Frank and Helen's happiness together, and how these obstacles are overcome.
3) Whether or not you think Frank and Helen are good for each other, and why.
This section contains 1,961 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)