|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ida hope Karp will do?
2. Who is Frank looking for?
3. What does Morris get from across the street?
4. Who is Otto Vogel?
5. What time does Helen come home at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ida resent Morris and their current situation? What responsibility does she have for the state of their lives?
2. How does Frank reward himself for working hard? Is this suspicious?
3. How does Ida feel about Frank? Is her opinion of him changing?
4. How does Helen feel about her failed relationship with Nat Pearl?
5. How does Frank do while filling in for Morris?
6. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
7. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
8. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
9. What traumatic event caused a change in Morris' habits?
10. Describe Frank's early family life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the character and morality of Frank Alpine. Be sure to address:
1) Whether you feel Frank Alpine is a moral or immoral character, with evidence from the text.
2) Turning points in the character growth of Frank Alpine.
3) Whether or not you would want Frank Alpine as a friend, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of education and the state of education in the industrialized world. Issues to consider:
1) Minimum levels of education.
2) Access to education, including cost and geography.
3) The importance of education for the average person.
4) Current trends in education and issues faced by graduates.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on crime and criminals in THE ASSISTANT. Be sure to address:
1) Criminal acts that are carried out or planned in the novel.
2) How you feel the author intends readers to view the criminal behavior of characters in the novel.
3) How prevalent the crimes described in the novel are in the real world, and the punishments that these crimes carry.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)