|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ida hate to touch?
2. What time does Helen come home at night?
3. What does Morris get from across the street?
4. What causes the house to always be dusty?
5. What does Frank want to get rid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
2. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
3. How does Frank do while filling in for Morris?
4. How is business at the store?
5. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
6. What happens to Morris at the end of the chapter? How does this event reflect his life?
7. How does Frank reward himself for working hard? Is this suspicious?
8. What does Nick, the tenant, do to offend Morris?
9. What does Helen give Frank to prepare him for school? How does Frank react?
10. How does Frank get a chance to talk to Helen? How does Helen react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of poverty, choosing your own focus for the subject. Recommended points to touch upon are:
1) The prevalence of poverty in the industrialized world.
2) Current policies and programs in place for fighting poverty, and their level of effectiveness.
3) Policy ideas for tackling poverty.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of education and the state of education in the industrialized world. Issues to consider:
1) Minimum levels of education.
2) Access to education, including cost and geography.
3) The importance of education for the average person.
4) Current trends in education and issues faced by graduates.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Jewish culture, tradition, and custom. Be sure to address:
1) What you feel it means to be Jewish.
2) Unique aspects of Jewish culture.
3) The contributions of the Jewish people to America.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)