|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank want to get rid of?
2. How old is Frank?
3. What does Morris do because of his suspicions?
4. What is the longest Frank can stay in one place?
5. What type of car does Louis Karp drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nick, the tenant, do to offend Morris?
2. Why does Ida resent Morris and their current situation? What responsibility does she have for the state of their lives?
3. What terrible things are revealed about Frank in this chapter?
4. Describe the relationship between the old woman and the Bobers.
5. What kind of a living does Morris make? What is ruining Morris' business?
6. How does Helen feel about Frank now?
7. What is the difference between Nat Pearl and Louis Karp?
8. How does Helen react to Nat's telephone call?
9. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
10. How does Frank feel about Helen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the importance of education and the state of education in the industrialized world. Issues to consider:
1) Minimum levels of education.
2) Access to education, including cost and geography.
3) The importance of education for the average person.
4) Current trends in education and issues faced by graduates.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the life choices made by character in THE ASSISTANT. Be sure to address:
1) Themes and examples of regret and missed opportunities.
2) Examples of good and bad life choices made by characters in the novel.
3) The message you feel Bernard Malamud is communicating to readers regarding life choices.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay detailing a plan for re-designing the Bober grocery store and turning it into a successful business. Thing to consider:
1) Products, promotions, specials, and displays to attract and keep customers.
2) The possibility of turning the grocery store into an entirely different type of business.
3) What you feel are the main problems facing the business, and how you will correct them.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)