|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morris suspect Frank of doing?
2. What day is the store closed?
3. What does Louis say Helen makes him do?
4. What color is Nick's sweater?
5. How much spending money does Ida give Frank every evening?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ida feel about Frank? Is her opinion of him changing?
2. How does Helen feel about her failed relationship with Nat Pearl?
3. What traumatic event caused a change in Morris' habits?
4. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
5. Describe the relationship between the old woman and the Bobers.
6. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
7. Who is the man hanging around the neighborhood?
8. What does Helen give Frank to prepare him for school? How does Frank react?
9. How does Frank get a chance to talk to Helen? How does Helen react?
10. How does Frank reward himself for working hard? Is this suspicious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the romantic relationship between Frank Alpine and Helen Bober. Be sure to address:
1) What you think attracts Frank and Helen to each other, with evidence from the text.
2) Major obstacles to Frank and Helen's happiness together, and how these obstacles are overcome.
3) Whether or not you think Frank and Helen are good for each other, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the death of Morris Bober. Be sure to address:
1) Why you feel the author decided to 'kill off' Morris.
2) The message and meaning behind Morris' death.
3) The importance of the timing of Morris' death.
4) How Morris' death affected you personally as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the role of the family provider. Be sure to address:
1) Changing trends in family providers, including gender roles, state involvement, and so on.
2) How being a family provider is dealt with in THE ASSISTANT, and the issues characters face in regards to being a provider.
3) Important characteristics and personality traits of a good family provider.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)