|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rolls are missing from the bag?
2. Who does Frank recognize in the stories?
3. What did Frank have a role in?
4. What did doctors find in Morris' lungs?
5. How much does Nick spend in the store every morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is business at the store around Christmas? What explanation does Ida give for this?
2. According to Morris, what does it mean to be Jewish?
3. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
4. What kind of a living does Morris make? What is ruining Morris' business?
5. How does Helen react to Nat's telephone call?
6. What does Nick, the tenant, do to offend Morris?
7. How is business at the store improving? Why?
8. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
9. What is the difference between Nat Pearl and Louis Karp?
10. How is business at the store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the role of the family provider. Be sure to address:
1) Changing trends in family providers, including gender roles, state involvement, and so on.
2) How being a family provider is dealt with in THE ASSISTANT, and the issues characters face in regards to being a provider.
3) Important characteristics and personality traits of a good family provider.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how you feel Frank and Helen's lives turn out following the end of the novel. Be sure to address:
1) How you feel the character traits of Frank and Helen will determine their futures.
2) Whether or not you think Frank and Helen will marry, and why.
3) Whether you feel the author intends the reader to have a positive or negative impression of Frank and Helen's lives following the end of the story, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of education and the state of education in the industrialized world. Issues to consider:
1) Minimum levels of education.
2) Access to education, including cost and geography.
3) The importance of education for the average person.
4) Current trends in education and issues faced by graduates.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)