|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who telephones Helen?
2. How does Frank feel about Jews?
3. What did Frank have a role in?
4. How much money in sales did Ida take in while Morris slept?
5. What does Louis say Helen makes him do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Helen and Frank's arguments about sex, and how they are resolved.
2. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
3. How does Frank feel about Helen?
4. How are Helen's feelings for Frank changing?
5. How does Frank intend to beat the Norwegians?
6. How does Morris view his luck in this chapter?
7. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
8. What did Charlie Sobeloff do to Morris?
9. How does Frank plan on convincing Morris to let him stay?
10. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the life choices made by character in THE ASSISTANT. Be sure to address:
1) Themes and examples of regret and missed opportunities.
2) Examples of good and bad life choices made by characters in the novel.
3) The message you feel Bernard Malamud is communicating to readers regarding life choices.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing your vision of the ideal lifestyle. Be sure to address:
1) What you feel are the most important aspects of a good lifestyle, and what to avoid.
2) How one can attain the ideal lifestyle, and how realistic this lifestyle is.
3) How THE ASSISTANT by Bernard Malamud has influenced your view of the ideal lifestyle.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the symbols used by the author in the novel. Be sure to address at least three symbols used by the author, with the essay focusing on their deeper meaning and role within the story.
This section contains 1,914 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)