|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morris average for the last two weeks in December?
2. What month is it at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does Frank secretly do while he works?
4. How much of her own money does Helen now get to keep?
5. Where is the old woman from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank get a chance to talk to Helen? How does Helen react?
2. How does Frank reward himself for working hard? Is this suspicious?
3. What traumatic event caused a change in Morris' habits?
4. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
5. How does Ida feel about Frank? Is her opinion of him changing?
6. How does Frank do while filling in for Morris?
7. How is business at the store?
8. What terrible things are revealed about Frank in this chapter?
9. What does Morris do for the young girl? What does this tell you about his character?
10. What happens to Morris at the end of the chapter? How does this event reflect his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the character strengths and weaknesses of Morris Bober. Be sure to address:
1) How Morris character traits influence his past and present life.
2) How Morris views and responds to the world and opportunities around him.
3) Whether or not you feel Morris is a tragically flawed character, and why (with evidence from the text).
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the role of the family provider. Be sure to address:
1) Changing trends in family providers, including gender roles, state involvement, and so on.
2) How being a family provider is dealt with in THE ASSISTANT, and the issues characters face in regards to being a provider.
3) Important characteristics and personality traits of a good family provider.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay detailing a plan for re-designing the Bober grocery store and turning it into a successful business. Thing to consider:
1) Products, promotions, specials, and displays to attract and keep customers.
2) The possibility of turning the grocery store into an entirely different type of business.
3) What you feel are the main problems facing the business, and how you will correct them.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)