|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frank looking for?
2. How many rooms does the Bober flat have?
3. How much money in sales did Ida take in while Morris slept?
4. How did Morris' son die?
5. What age does Helen miss?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ida resent Morris and their current situation? What responsibility does she have for the state of their lives?
2. What does Nick, the tenant, do to offend Morris?
3. What terrible things are revealed about Frank in this chapter?
4. How does Frank do while filling in for Morris?
5. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
6. How does Helen react to Nat's telephone call?
7. What do you think the relevance of St. Francis is to the story?
8. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
9. How does Frank feel about Helen?
10. How is business at the store improving? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how you feel Frank and Helen's lives turn out following the end of the novel. Be sure to address:
1) How you feel the character traits of Frank and Helen will determine their futures.
2) Whether or not you think Frank and Helen will marry, and why.
3) Whether you feel the author intends the reader to have a positive or negative impression of Frank and Helen's lives following the end of the story, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the character and morality of Frank Alpine. Be sure to address:
1) Whether you feel Frank Alpine is a moral or immoral character, with evidence from the text.
2) Turning points in the character growth of Frank Alpine.
3) Whether or not you would want Frank Alpine as a friend, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing the romantic relationship between Frank Alpine and Helen Bober. Be sure to address:
1) What you think attracts Frank and Helen to each other, with evidence from the text.
2) Major obstacles to Frank and Helen's happiness together, and how these obstacles are overcome.
3) Whether or not you think Frank and Helen are good for each other, and why.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)