|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the Bober flat have?
2. How much money does Frank take in while minding the store?
3. Who is Frank looking for?
4. How does Frank feel about what he does?
5. What does Ida hope Karp will do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is business at the store improving? Why?
2. What happens to Morris at the end of the chapter? How does this event reflect his life?
3. How is business at the store around Christmas? What explanation does Ida give for this?
4. What traumatic event caused a change in Morris' habits?
5. What terrible things are revealed about Frank in this chapter?
6. What does Nick, the tenant, do to offend Morris?
7. Who is the man hanging around the neighborhood?
8. How does Ida feel about Frank? Is her opinion of him changing?
9. How is business at the store?
10. What does Frank Alpine say about his luck and opportunities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the death of Morris Bober. Be sure to address:
1) Why you feel the author decided to 'kill off' Morris.
2) The message and meaning behind Morris' death.
3) The importance of the timing of Morris' death.
4) How Morris' death affected you personally as a reader.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of education and the state of education in the industrialized world. Issues to consider:
1) Minimum levels of education.
2) Access to education, including cost and geography.
3) The importance of education for the average person.
4) Current trends in education and issues faced by graduates.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on crime and criminals in THE ASSISTANT. Be sure to address:
1) Criminal acts that are carried out or planned in the novel.
2) How you feel the author intends readers to view the criminal behavior of characters in the novel.
3) How prevalent the crimes described in the novel are in the real world, and the punishments that these crimes carry.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)