|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What virtue is very important to Frank?
2. What does Helen tell Frank to do in order to prepare himself for college?
3. What is the name of the old Polish woman's dog?
4. What book is Helen reading on the subway?
5. What do Nick Fuso and Frank have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is business at the store?
2. What traumatic event caused a change in Morris' habits?
3. How does Morris view his luck in this chapter?
4. How does Helen respond to Frank's offer? What does Frank confess to Helen?
5. How do you think that Frank redeems himself in the novel?
6. What is the skinny man's proposition? What does Morris do?
7. According to Morris, what does it mean to be Jewish?
8. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
9. How does Frank get a chance to talk to Helen? How does Helen react?
10. What options are left open for the Bobers and their store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the romantic relationship between Frank Alpine and Helen Bober. Be sure to address:
1) What you think attracts Frank and Helen to each other, with evidence from the text.
2) Major obstacles to Frank and Helen's happiness together, and how these obstacles are overcome.
3) Whether or not you think Frank and Helen are good for each other, and why.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay detailing a plan for re-designing the Bober grocery store and turning it into a successful business. Thing to consider:
1) Products, promotions, specials, and displays to attract and keep customers.
2) The possibility of turning the grocery store into an entirely different type of business.
3) What you feel are the main problems facing the business, and how you will correct them.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write an essay on the history of ethnic groups in New York City. Be sure to address:
1) Early ethnic groups to settle in New York.
2) Conflicts between ethnic groups in New York.
3) The current state of multiculturalism in New York today.
This section contains 1,938 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)