|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is the store closed?
2. What does Frank have trouble doing?
3. Where is the old woman from?
4. Who is the real thief?
5. What does Ida hope Karp will do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
2. How does Helen react to Nat's telephone call?
3. What does Nick, the tenant, do to offend Morris?
4. What traumatic event caused a change in Morris' habits?
5. How does Helen feel about Frank now?
6. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
7. According to Morris, what does it mean to be Jewish?
8. How does Ida feel about Frank? Is her opinion of him changing?
9. Describe Frank's early family life.
10. How does Frank do while filling in for Morris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the process of bankruptcy in your country. Be sure to address:
1) The history of bankruptcy and origins of the word.
2) The basic process of bankruptcy for a small or large business.
3) How Morris Bober viewed the threat of bankruptcy, whether or not he considered it an option, and why.
4) The current bankruptcy rate in your country, and the main factors behind the statistics.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the role of the family provider. Be sure to address:
1) Changing trends in family providers, including gender roles, state involvement, and so on.
2) How being a family provider is dealt with in THE ASSISTANT, and the issues characters face in regards to being a provider.
3) Important characteristics and personality traits of a good family provider.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the death of Morris Bober. Be sure to address:
1) Why you feel the author decided to 'kill off' Morris.
2) The message and meaning behind Morris' death.
3) The importance of the timing of Morris' death.
4) How Morris' death affected you personally as a reader.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)