|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank have trouble doing?
2. What does Louis say Helen makes him do?
3. What does Ida say will happen because of Frank?
4. What happens to Morris when he is moving the milk boxes?
5. What does Nick Fuso do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ida feel about Frank? Is her opinion of him changing?
2. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
3. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
4. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
5. What does Helen give Frank to prepare him for school? How does Frank react?
6. What do you think the relevance of St. Francis is to the story?
7. Describe Frank's early family life.
8. What does Morris do for the young girl? What does this tell you about his character?
9. How does Frank reward himself for working hard? Is this suspicious?
10. How is business at the store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the topic of poverty, choosing your own focus for the subject. Recommended points to touch upon are:
1) The prevalence of poverty in the industrialized world.
2) Current policies and programs in place for fighting poverty, and their level of effectiveness.
3) Policy ideas for tackling poverty.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the American Dream. Be sure to address:
1) What the American Dream means to you.
2) Obstacles faced by new Americans trying to achieve the American Dream.
3) Whether or not you feel the American Dream is still alive today, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of education and the state of education in the industrialized world. Issues to consider:
1) Minimum levels of education.
2) Access to education, including cost and geography.
3) The importance of education for the average person.
4) Current trends in education and issues faced by graduates.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)