|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Frank recognize in the stories?
2. Who does Morris initially suspect of stealing?
3. How old is the girl who enters the store?
4. What does Frank want to get rid of?
5. What has Frank hated to do since he was a kid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Louis and Helen talk about when they go for a ride?
2. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
3. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
4. What does Frank Alpine say about his luck and opportunities?
5. What does Helen give Frank to prepare him for school? How does Frank react?
6. What does Nick, the tenant, do to offend Morris?
7. What happens to Morris at the end of the chapter? How does this event reflect his life?
8. How is business at the store improving? Why?
9. How does Frank get a chance to talk to Helen? How does Helen react?
10. How does Ida feel about Frank? Is her opinion of him changing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing the process of bankruptcy in your country. Be sure to address:
1) The history of bankruptcy and origins of the word.
2) The basic process of bankruptcy for a small or large business.
3) How Morris Bober viewed the threat of bankruptcy, whether or not he considered it an option, and why.
4) The current bankruptcy rate in your country, and the main factors behind the statistics.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write an essay on the history of ethnic groups in New York City. Be sure to address:
1) Early ethnic groups to settle in New York.
2) Conflicts between ethnic groups in New York.
3) The current state of multiculturalism in New York today.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Jewish culture, tradition, and custom. Be sure to address:
1) What you feel it means to be Jewish.
2) Unique aspects of Jewish culture.
3) The contributions of the Jewish people to America.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)