|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morris suspect Frank of doing?
2. Where does Frank Alpine say he is living?
3. What does Helen do before going to bed?
4. What time does Helen come home at night?
5. What does Helen do with Frank's gifts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between Nat Pearl and Louis Karp?
2. What does Frank Alpine say about his luck and opportunities?
3. How is business at the store?
4. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
5. Describe the relationship between the old woman and the Bobers.
6. How does Frank get a chance to talk to Helen? How does Helen react?
7. How is business at the store improving? Why?
8. Why does Ida resent Morris and their current situation? What responsibility does she have for the state of their lives?
9. How does Helen react to Nat's telephone call?
10. What happens to Morris at the end of the chapter? How does this event reflect his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the character strengths and weaknesses of Morris Bober. Be sure to address:
1) How Morris character traits influence his past and present life.
2) How Morris views and responds to the world and opportunities around him.
3) Whether or not you feel Morris is a tragically flawed character, and why (with evidence from the text).
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the use of dreams and dream sequences in THE ASSISTANT. Be sure to address:
1) The role of dreams in the novel.
2) Examples of how dreams have influenced characters and foreshadowed events.
3) What you feel the role of dreams are in our everyday lives.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how you feel Frank and Helen's lives turn out following the end of the novel. Be sure to address:
1) How you feel the character traits of Frank and Helen will determine their futures.
2) Whether or not you think Frank and Helen will marry, and why.
3) Whether you feel the author intends the reader to have a positive or negative impression of Frank and Helen's lives following the end of the story, and why.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)