|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who telephones Helen?
2. How does Frank feel about Jews?
3. What did Frank have a role in?
4. How much money in sales did Ida take in while Morris slept?
5. What does Louis say Helen makes him do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Helen and Frank's arguments about sex, and how they are resolved.
2. How does Morris feel about owning the store?
3. How does Frank feel about Helen?
4. How are Helen's feelings for Frank changing?
5. How does Frank intend to beat the Norwegians?
6. How does Morris view his luck in this chapter?
7. How does Frank feel about life at the store?
8. What did Charlie Sobeloff do to Morris?
9. How does Frank plan on convincing Morris to let him stay?
10. What does Frank want from Morris? What else might he be interested in?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that critically reviews THE ASSISTANT by Bernard Malamud, in a formal book review style. Be sure to address:
1) Major themes of the novel and how well they are communicated to readers.
2) Your opinion on the writing style used by the author.
3) The universal importance of the book's subject matter.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the death of Morris Bober. Be sure to address:
1) Why you feel the author decided to 'kill off' Morris.
2) The message and meaning behind Morris' death.
3) The importance of the timing of Morris' death.
4) How Morris' death affected you personally as a reader.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Jewish culture, tradition, and custom. Be sure to address:
1) What you feel it means to be Jewish.
2) Unique aspects of Jewish culture.
3) The contributions of the Jewish people to America.
This section contains 1,914 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)