|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Orlando a fool for marring the trees in the forest with his verses?
2. What must Silvius do, according to Ganymede, in order for Phebe to marry him?
3. Which marriage does the duke give his blessing to?
4. Who arrives at the end of Act 5, Scene 1, to summon the men to Ganymede and Aliena's cottage?
5. Why does Rosalind decide to intervene in the encounter taking place between Phebe and Silvius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "As You Like It" a pastoral play? What elements within the play contribute to the pastoral theme? Use the Forest of Arden as your platform to answer the question and use specific scenes and quotes to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jaques is found crying over an injured deer in the forest and uses the deer and its herd as a metaphor for city life at court. Explain life at court through use of Jaques' metaphor. Explain what the deer, the injury and the herd represent. Decide to support or argue against this metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
There are many role changes within "As You Like It," and some involve the social ladder. What role change within the play shows the reader an interchange of social status? Who are the characters and how is the change shown? Why does Shakespeare include this role change? Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,561 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)