|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Rosalind say she does not want to talk about to Celia?
2. What does Vicar Martext tell Touchstone and Audrey they need in order to make their marriage legal?
3. To where does Oliver say he brought Orlando after the encounter with the lion?
4. What does Oliver call Rosalind/Ganymede when she arrives on the scene?
5. What does Jaques call Touchstone for getting married in the forest rather than in a church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jaques discusses the seven stages of a man's life with Duke Senior's men in the forest. Explain Jaques' dissertation on the seven stages and how they directly apply to Shakespeare's contemporary time. Could this possibly be Shakespeare's own doctrine that he is inserting into the play? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Rosalind proposes questions to the audience at the play's end and invites them to clap in response to those questions. Her final comment involves kissing the men in the audience, but only if she were a woman. Deconstruct the Epilogue and write a clear thesis for what you believe its purpose within the play is. Does the Epilogue suggest that the audience continue thinking about gender roles? Is it a comical end to the play? Is Rosalind simply gathering applause from the audience? Support your answer with specific examples and quotes from "As You Like It."
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning behind the title "As You Like It"? Does is specifically link to any themes, symbolism or characters within the play? Does it have a loose meaning? Does it not have any meaning at all? Support your answer with specific examples and quotes from the text.
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)