|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Jaques want to parade with the dead animal?
2. Why does Rosalind decide to intervene in the encounter taking place between Phebe and Silvius?
3. Who enters and has to have words with Touchstone in Act 5, Scene 1, after he speaks with Audrey?
4. Who is secretly watching the conversation Touchstone is having at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
5. Whom does Rosalind liken Orlando's hair to while badmouthing him to Celia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Everyone seems to enjoy life in the forest and feels liberated once entering the country, except for Touchstone and Jaques. Using these two characters and their arguments, explain their side of the argument and why they do not feel comfortable in the forest and what helps them change their attitudes toward the end. What side of Shakespeare's contemporary society do you believe they represent? Remember to use quotes and examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Love at first sight is a prominent theme within any Shakespeare play. How is love at first sight shown in "As You Like It" and how does it develop? What is the validity of the love at first sight within the play? Using examples and quotes from the play, prove whether or not Shakespeare believed in love at first sight or if he is patronizing the concept.
Essay Topic 3
How is "As You Like It" a pastoral play? What elements within the play contribute to the pastoral theme? Use the Forest of Arden as your platform to answer the question and use specific scenes and quotes to support your answer.
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)