|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Audrey, the woman Touchstone is speaking with, at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 3?
2. How does Touchstone feel about his pending wedding?
3. What does Rosalind, disguised as Ganymede, call Phebe after she intervenes?
4. What does Touchstone criticize about the people who are singing?
5. When Silvius delivers the letter to Rosalind from Phebe, what kind of letter does he tell her it is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the characters in the play are linked either through blood or family relationships. Using the characters in the play and their lineage and connections to one another, write an explication of the relations within the play. Who is the daughter/son of whom? Who are enemies? Who are siblings? Who are related? Who loves whom? Who hates whom? Your essay must be flawless in terms of how you relate each character to one another.
Essay Topic 2
Jaques is found crying over an injured deer in the forest and uses the deer and its herd as a metaphor for city life at court. Explain life at court through use of Jaques' metaphor. Explain what the deer, the injury and the herd represent. Decide to support or argue against this metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
Love at first sight is a prominent theme within any Shakespeare play. How is love at first sight shown in "As You Like It" and how does it develop? What is the validity of the love at first sight within the play? Using examples and quotes from the play, prove whether or not Shakespeare believed in love at first sight or if he is patronizing the concept.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)