|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives at the end of Act 5, Scene 1, to summon the men to Ganymede and Aliena's cottage?
2. What does Oliver call Rosalind/Ganymede when she arrives on the scene?
3. Who calls Orlando a fool for marring the trees in the forest with his verses?
4. To where does Oliver say he brought Orlando after the encounter with the lion?
5. What does Jaques call Touchstone for getting married in the forest rather than in a church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love at first sight is a prominent theme within any Shakespeare play. How is love at first sight shown in "As You Like It" and how does it develop? What is the validity of the love at first sight within the play? Using examples and quotes from the play, prove whether or not Shakespeare believed in love at first sight or if he is patronizing the concept.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, land is considered of high value. How is land used as a source of barter and currency in "As You Like It"? How does owning property empower a character? How does not owning property, or having property taken away, degrade a character? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Orlando first happens upon Duke Senior and his men in the forest, he draw his sword. Duke Senior gives Orlando a lesson in politeness, which surprises Orlando. Construct a clear thesis for the meaning behind this scene and what purpose it serves within "As You Like It." What lesson is Shakespeare attempting to teach the reader? Does it deal with politeness? War? Support your answer with specific scenes and quotes from the play.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)