|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Touchstone ask Audrey about at the beginning of Act 5, Scene1?
2. What must Silvius do, according to Ganymede, in order for Phebe to marry him?
3. For what does Ganymede berate Jaques when they encounter each other in the forest?
4. What does Jaques call Touchstone for getting married in the forest rather than in a church?
5. What does Rosalind think about Oliver at the end of Act 4, Scene 3?
Essay Topic 1
Many different contrasts are shown between country life and city life throughout "As You Like It." What is ultimately proven to be the better of the two? Is there a clear answer to the argument drawn at all? Support your response with specific examples and quotes from the play about country life and city life.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the play are linked either through blood or family relationships. Using the characters in the play and their lineage and connections to one another, write an explication of the relations within the play. Who is the daughter/son of whom? Who are enemies? Who are siblings? Who are related? Who loves whom? Who hates whom? Your essay must be flawless in terms of how you relate each character to one another.
Essay Topic 3
Jaques is found crying over an injured deer in the forest and uses the deer and its herd as a metaphor for city life at court. Explain life at court through use of Jaques' metaphor. Explain what the deer, the injury and the herd represent. Decide to support or argue against this metaphor.
This section contains 1,583 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)