|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Silvius do, according to Ganymede, in order for Phebe to marry him?
2. What does Phebe tell Silvius that she wants to see?
3. Who decides to remain in the forest and live in Duke Senior's cave at the end of Act 5, Scene 4?
4. What does Touchstone do during his conversation to confuse the man?
5. Why does Rosalind tell Celia not to pity Silvius after reading the letter from Phebe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, land is considered of high value. How is land used as a source of barter and currency in "As You Like It"? How does owning property empower a character? How does not owning property, or having property taken away, degrade a character? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jaques is found crying over an injured deer in the forest and uses the deer and its herd as a metaphor for city life at court. Explain life at court through use of Jaques' metaphor. Explain what the deer, the injury and the herd represent. Decide to support or argue against this metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
Touchstone plays a fool within the constructs of court. Once he leaves for the Forest of Arden, he feels like an even bigger fool and in a negative way, as opposed to his designated role as a fool at court. Using scenes and quotes within the play, show the difference between the role of fool Touchstone plays at court and the role of fool he plays in the forest. What are the differences between the two in the reader's eye? In Shakespeare's eye? In Touchstone's eye? Which fool role does Touchstone ultimately fulfill?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)