|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver insist on when he is confessing his love for Aliena to Orlando?
2. What kind of animal does Jaques kill in the forest?
3. What does Rosalind do at first when Orlando shows up for his lesson?
4. What affliction does Rosalind, while disguised as Ganymede, tell Orlando can be cured?
5. For what event is Rosalind waiting for Orlando to meet her at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While disguised as Ganymede, Rosalind grills Orlando on how relationships change between a man and a woman after nuptials. Other instances within the play make comments about the nature of marriage between men and women. Pick a scene from "As You Like It" that discusses the nature of marriage and how it changes a man and woman. How is the dynamic shown/explained? Why does Shakespeare include this question in the play? Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Jaques is found crying over an injured deer in the forest and uses the deer and its herd as a metaphor for city life at court. Explain life at court through use of Jaques' metaphor. Explain what the deer, the injury and the herd represent. Decide to support or argue against this metaphor.
Essay Topic 3
There are many role changes within "As You Like It," and some involve the social ladder. What role change within the play shows the reader an interchange of social status? Who are the characters and how is the change shown? Why does Shakespeare include this role change? Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)