|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Touchstone decide after his conversation with Jaques at the end of Act 3, Scene 3?
2. Why does Silvius say he will deliver the letter Phebe wrote for Ganymede at the end of Act 3, Scene 5?
3. To whom does Jaques want to parade with the dead animal?
4. What does Rosalind suggest that Orlando start with, instead of a kiss, in his quest for Rosalind's love?
5. What does Touchstone criticize about the people who are singing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the meaning behind the title "As You Like It"? Does is specifically link to any themes, symbolism or characters within the play? Does it have a loose meaning? Does it not have any meaning at all? Support your answer with specific examples and quotes from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, land is considered of high value. How is land used as a source of barter and currency in "As You Like It"? How does owning property empower a character? How does not owning property, or having property taken away, degrade a character? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the play are linked either through blood or family relationships. Using the characters in the play and their lineage and connections to one another, write an explication of the relations within the play. Who is the daughter/son of whom? Who are enemies? Who are siblings? Who are related? Who loves whom? Who hates whom? Your essay must be flawless in terms of how you relate each character to one another.
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)