|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what event is Rosalind waiting for Orlando to meet her at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4?
2. Which marriage does the duke give his blessing to?
3. Who does Corin say is trying to pursue a woman when he arrives on the scene?
4. What does Rosalind tell Orlando that she is that will help her bring Rosalind to Orlando?
5. About whom are Rosalind and Celia talking at the beginning of Act 4, Scene 3, when Silvius arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within "As You Like It" there are two kinds of love: true love and lust love. Between the four couples that wed at the end of the play, decide which fall in the category of true love and which fall within the category of lust love. Try defining either within the context Shakespeare sets up. How do each of these couples fall within their respective category? What else within the text supports the couples' designated category? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many different contrasts are shown between country life and city life throughout "As You Like It." What is ultimately proven to be the better of the two? Is there a clear answer to the argument drawn at all? Support your response with specific examples and quotes from the play about country life and city life.
Essay Topic 3
Love at first sight is a prominent theme within any Shakespeare play. How is love at first sight shown in "As You Like It" and how does it develop? What is the validity of the love at first sight within the play? Using examples and quotes from the play, prove whether or not Shakespeare believed in love at first sight or if he is patronizing the concept.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)