|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the animal does Jaques suggest they should put on?
2. Who decides to remain in the forest and live in Duke Senior's cave at the end of Act 5, Scene 4?
3. What does Rosalind suggest that Orlando start with, instead of a kiss, in his quest for Rosalind's love?
4. Who arrives at the end of Act 5, Scene 1, to summon the men to Ganymede and Aliena's cottage?
5. When Oliver arrives, what does he give to Rosalind, claiming it belongs to Orlando?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "As You Like It" a pastoral play? What elements within the play contribute to the pastoral theme? Use the Forest of Arden as your platform to answer the question and use specific scenes and quotes to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, land is considered of high value. How is land used as a source of barter and currency in "As You Like It"? How does owning property empower a character? How does not owning property, or having property taken away, degrade a character? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Song and dance is very prominent in Shakespeare's plays. "As You Like It" has several scenes in which the players sing songs and create scenes of musical merriment. Pick one of the scenes from the play in which song is used to get a point across. What is the point of using song? How does it further the progression of the play? Remember to think about Shakespeare's contemporary audience, for whom these plays were performed. Remember to use specific quotes and examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)