|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosalind tell Orlando that she is that will help her bring Rosalind to Orlando?
2. Which marriage does the duke give his blessing to?
3. When is Touchstone projected to get married at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 3?
4. Whom does Rosalind liken Orlando's hair to while badmouthing him to Celia?
5. Who admits to having wondered if Ganymede and Rosalind were brother and sister due to a resemblance?
Essay Topic 1
Was Shakespeare attempting to empower his contemporary woman with the characters of Rosalind and Ganymede, or was he trying to expose female stereotypes? Use these two characters as the support for your response to this question. What scenes within the play show that the women are supporting your stance for this argument? Use your knowledge of Shakespearean time to deduce how Shakespeare wanted this question answered and, hence, wanted the women interpreted.
Essay Topic 2
Rosalind and Celia don disguises when they enter the Forest of Arden. Using these two characters, present a clear thesis for what these disguises represent within the play. Think about the context in which the play was written (i.e., Shakespeare's time). Do these disguises prove positive or negative for the characters who wear them? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Which character is least sympathetic? Between the feuds and personal vendettas characters have throughout the play, who ultimately learns nothing by the play's end? Do all learn a lesson and change their ways? Choose one character that you feel fails the task of learning a lesson, or choose the characters you believe become sympathetic and true-of-heart characters. Remember to use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 1,532 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)