|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Touchstone decide after his conversation with Jaques at the end of Act 3, Scene 3?
2. What does Rosalind speak about to Orlando that upsets Celia at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
3. Whom does Rosalind say she does not want to talk about to Celia?
4. How does Touchstone feel about his pending wedding?
5. Why is Audrey upset at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the play, land is considered of high value. How is land used as a source of barter and currency in "As You Like It"? How does owning property empower a character? How does not owning property, or having property taken away, degrade a character? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
While disguised as Ganymede, Rosalind grills Orlando on how relationships change between a man and a woman after nuptials. Other instances within the play make comments about the nature of marriage between men and women. Pick a scene from "As You Like It" that discusses the nature of marriage and how it changes a man and woman. How is the dynamic shown/explained? Why does Shakespeare include this question in the play? Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning behind the title "As You Like It"? Does is specifically link to any themes, symbolism or characters within the play? Does it have a loose meaning? Does it not have any meaning at all? Support your answer with specific examples and quotes from the text.
This section contains 1,537 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)