|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phebe tell Silvius that she wants to see?
2. Who does Corin say is trying to pursue a woman when he arrives on the scene?
3. What happens between Ganymede and Phebe after Rosalind intervenes between Phebe and Silvius?
4. Who arrives at the end of Act 5, Scene 1, to summon the men to Ganymede and Aliena's cottage?
5. What does Touchstone decide after his conversation with Jaques at the end of Act 3, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosalind and Celia choose the names "Ganymede" and "Celia" as their aliases when in disguise. What is the meaning behind these names? Why do they choose these specific names? What is the significance of these names in "As You Like It"? Use quotes and information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Was Shakespeare attempting to empower his contemporary woman with the characters of Rosalind and Ganymede, or was he trying to expose female stereotypes? Use these two characters as the support for your response to this question. What scenes within the play show that the women are supporting your stance for this argument? Use your knowledge of Shakespearean time to deduce how Shakespeare wanted this question answered and, hence, wanted the women interpreted.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, land is considered of high value. How is land used as a source of barter and currency in "As You Like It"? How does owning property empower a character? How does not owning property, or having property taken away, degrade a character? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)