|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to remain in the forest and live in Duke Senior's cave at the end of Act 5, Scene 4?
2. What does Rosalind speak about to Orlando that upsets Celia at the end of Act 4, Scene 1?
3. Who enters and has to have words with Touchstone in Act 5, Scene 1, after he speaks with Audrey?
4. What does Jaques call Touchstone for getting married in the forest rather than in a church?
5. When Oliver arrives, what does he give to Rosalind, claiming it belongs to Orlando?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character is least sympathetic? Between the feuds and personal vendettas characters have throughout the play, who ultimately learns nothing by the play's end? Do all learn a lesson and change their ways? Choose one character that you feel fails the task of learning a lesson, or choose the characters you believe become sympathetic and true-of-heart characters. Remember to use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Touchstone plays a fool within the constructs of court. Once he leaves for the Forest of Arden, he feels like an even bigger fool and in a negative way, as opposed to his designated role as a fool at court. Using scenes and quotes within the play, show the difference between the role of fool Touchstone plays at court and the role of fool he plays in the forest. What are the differences between the two in the reader's eye? In Shakespeare's eye? In Touchstone's eye? Which fool role does Touchstone ultimately fulfill?
Essay Topic 3
How is "As You Like It" a pastoral play? What elements within the play contribute to the pastoral theme? Use the Forest of Arden as your platform to answer the question and use specific scenes and quotes to support your answer.
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)