|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Phebe mad at Ganymede?
2. Who converts Duke Frederick in the forest while he's on the way to kill his brother?
3. Who enters and has to have words with Touchstone in Act 5, Scene 1, after he speaks with Audrey?
4. To whom does Jaques want to parade with the dead animal?
5. Whom is everyone waiting for in the forest at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jaques discusses the seven stages of a man's life with Duke Senior's men in the forest. Explain Jaques' dissertation on the seven stages and how they directly apply to Shakespeare's contemporary time. Could this possibly be Shakespeare's own doctrine that he is inserting into the play? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Rosalind and Celia don disguises when they enter the Forest of Arden. Using these two characters, present a clear thesis for what these disguises represent within the play. Think about the context in which the play was written (i.e., Shakespeare's time). Do these disguises prove positive or negative for the characters who wear them? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Rosalind and Celia choose the names "Ganymede" and "Celia" as their aliases when in disguise. What is the meaning behind these names? Why do they choose these specific names? What is the significance of these names in "As You Like It"? Use quotes and information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)