|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orlando find in the forest?
2. For what reason does Oliver hate his brother, Orlando?
3. Why does Celia choose the name Aliena as her disguise name?
4. To whom does Jaques liken the herd of animals?
5. Where do Duke Frederick's men claim to have seen Rosalind and Celia the night before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rosalind compare Orlando's love for her to that of a snail?
2. What does Jaques suggest that Duke Senior's men do while they are hunting?
3. Why does Duke Frederick banish Rosalind from the city so suddenly?
4. What is Silvius' reasoning for why Corin does not know for sure if he has ever been in love?
5. How do Rosalind and Celia manage to find shelter in the forest?
6. Why does Jaques encourage Amiens to continue singing at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
7. How does Celia try to cheer up Rosalind, who is depressed about her father's banishment?
8. What does Amiens say about Duke Senior's attitude in the country?
9. Why does Celia decide to name herself Aliena while in disguise?
10. What do Duke Frederick's men report about Celia and Rosalind after their disappearance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Shakespeare attempting to empower his contemporary woman with the characters of Rosalind and Ganymede, or was he trying to expose female stereotypes? Use these two characters as the support for your response to this question. What scenes within the play show that the women are supporting your stance for this argument? Use your knowledge of Shakespearean time to deduce how Shakespeare wanted this question answered and, hence, wanted the women interpreted.
Essay Topic 2
Everyone seems to enjoy life in the forest and feels liberated once entering the country, except for Touchstone and Jaques. Using these two characters and their arguments, explain their side of the argument and why they do not feel comfortable in the forest and what helps them change their attitudes toward the end. What side of Shakespeare's contemporary society do you believe they represent? Remember to use quotes and examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Rosalind and Celia choose the names "Ganymede" and "Celia" as their aliases when in disguise. What is the meaning behind these names? Why do they choose these specific names? What is the significance of these names in "As You Like It"? Use quotes and information from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)