|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jaques tell the men the world is after Orlando leaves to find Adam?
2. Where is Orlando at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3?
3. To what does Duke Senior compare Jaques at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 7?
4. What does Duke Frederick order Rosalind to do when he finds the girls in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What does Duke Senior tell his company about life in exile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Duke Senior say to his men about life in the Forest of Arden?
2. Why does Oliver have a change of heart toward his brother, Orlando, in Act 4, Scene 3?
3. Why does Celia decide to name herself Aliena while in disguise?
4. Why do Duke Frederick's initial good-natured feelings toward Orlando change to feelings of hate?
5. Why is Touchstone made out to be the foolish one in Act 5, Scene 3?
6. Why does Corin suggest that he and the girls should go watch Silvius and Phebe?
7. How does Celia calm down Rosalind, who is upset that Orlando is late for their lesson on love?
8. What is Duke Frederick talking about with the group of men at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Why does Adam offer his company to Orlando and to leave court life for the forest?
10. How do Rosalind and Celia manage to find shelter in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Shakespeare attempting to empower his contemporary woman with the characters of Rosalind and Ganymede, or was he trying to expose female stereotypes? Use these two characters as the support for your response to this question. What scenes within the play show that the women are supporting your stance for this argument? Use your knowledge of Shakespearean time to deduce how Shakespeare wanted this question answered and, hence, wanted the women interpreted.
Essay Topic 2
Everyone seems to enjoy life in the forest and feels liberated once entering the country, except for Touchstone and Jaques. Using these two characters and their arguments, explain their side of the argument and why they do not feel comfortable in the forest and what helps them change their attitudes toward the end. What side of Shakespeare's contemporary society do you believe they represent? Remember to use quotes and examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Orlando first happens upon Duke Senior and his men in the forest, he draw his sword. Duke Senior gives Orlando a lesson in politeness, which surprises Orlando. Construct a clear thesis for the meaning behind this scene and what purpose it serves within "As You Like It." What lesson is Shakespeare attempting to teach the reader? Does it deal with politeness? War? Support your answer with specific scenes and quotes from the play.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)