|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Corin not remember the one time that he fell in love?
2. What does Rosalind tell Orlando about her father?
3. Who else is with Duke Senior and dressed like foresters?
4. What does Le Beau tell Rosalind and Celia that they have missed?
5. To what does Duke Senior compare Jaques at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Audrey upset with Touchstone at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
2. What leads Duke Frederick to believe that the girls are with Orlando?
3. What are the stipulations Duke Frederick gives Oliver in the event that he does not find Orlando?
4. What does Rosalind ask of the men and women in the audience at the end of the play?
5. How does Rosalind find out about Orlando's feelings for her?
6. Why does Touchstone dislike the forest?
7. How does Phebe get Silvius to deliver her love letter to Ganymede at the end of Act 3, Scene 5?
8. How does Oliver prove to Orlando that his love for Aliena is true love?
9. What is the preamble to Rosalind unveiling her true female identity in Act 5, Scene 4?
10. What do Jaques and Orlando argue about in Act 3, Scene 2?
Essay Topic 1
There are many role changes within "As You Like It," and some involve the social ladder. What role change within the play shows the reader an interchange of social status? Who are the characters and how is the change shown? Why does Shakespeare include this role change? Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in the play are linked either through blood or family relationships. Using the characters in the play and their lineage and connections to one another, write an explication of the relations within the play. Who is the daughter/son of whom? Who are enemies? Who are siblings? Who are related? Who loves whom? Who hates whom? Your essay must be flawless in terms of how you relate each character to one another.
Essay Topic 3
Rosalind and Celia don disguises when they enter the Forest of Arden. Using these two characters, present a clear thesis for what these disguises represent within the play. Think about the context in which the play was written (i.e., Shakespeare's time). Do these disguises prove positive or negative for the characters who wear them? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 2,023 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)