|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Duke Frederick questioning his company about in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How many crowns is Orlando left by his late father?
3. How does Amiens feels at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 5?
4. What does Dennis tell Oliver that Duke Frederick has done to Duke Senior?
5. Who wants to speak to Jaques at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Le Beau tell Orlando to leave immediately after the wrestling match?
2. For what reason does Oliver claim to hate Orlando at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Why does Adam meet Orlando in the courtyard and order him to leave?
4. What does Orlando do for Adam while he rests?
5. What is one reason Rosalind gives for why she has an attraction to Orlando?
6. How do Rosalind and Celia manage to find shelter in the forest?
7. Why does Corin suggest that he and the girls should go watch Silvius and Phebe?
8. Why does Duke Frederick call Oliver a villain?
9. Why is Touchstone made out to be the foolish one in Act 5, Scene 3?
10. Why does Oliver have a change of heart toward his brother, Orlando, in Act 4, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Song and dance is very prominent in Shakespeare's plays. "As You Like It" has several scenes in which the players sing songs and create scenes of musical merriment. Pick one of the scenes from the play in which song is used to get a point across. What is the point of using song? How does it further the progression of the play? Remember to think about Shakespeare's contemporary audience, for whom these plays were performed. Remember to use specific quotes and examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2Love at first sight is a prominent theme within any Shakespeare play. How is love at first sight shown in "As You Like It" and how does it develop? What is the validity of the love at first sight within the play? Using examples and quotes from the play, prove whether or not Shakespeare believed in love at first sight or if he is patronizing the concept.
Essay Topic 3Throughout the play, land is considered of high value. How is land used as a source of barter and currency in "As You Like It"? How does owning property empower a character? How does not owning property, or having property taken away, degrade a character? Use specific examples and quotes from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)