|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Le Beau tell Orlando about Duke Frederick's feelings toward his niece, Rosalind?
2. What does Duke Senior tell his company about life in exile?
3. Who is Orlando talking to in the orchard at the opening of the play?
4. When Jaques arrives, what or whom does he say he met in the forest?
5. Who else is with Duke Senior and dressed like foresters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosalind ask of the men and women in the audience at the end of the play?
2. How does Oliver prove to Orlando that his love for Aliena is true love?
3. How does Celia try to cheer up Rosalind, who is depressed about her father's banishment?
4. Why does Phebe agree to conditionally marry Silvius at the end of Act 5, Scene 2?
5. How does Rosalind find out about Orlando's feelings for her?
6. How do Rosalind and Celia manage to find shelter in the forest?
7. What does Duke Senior advise Orlando about while Orlando is trying to vanquish Duke Senior with a sword?
8. Why do Rosalind and Celia decide to wear disguises to the Forest of Arden?
9. How do Rosalind and Celia feel once they enter the Forest of Arden?
10. What does Orlando do for Adam while he rests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Everyone seems to enjoy life in the forest and feels liberated once entering the country, except for Touchstone and Jaques. Using these two characters and their arguments, explain their side of the argument and why they do not feel comfortable in the forest and what helps them change their attitudes toward the end. What side of Shakespeare's contemporary society do you believe they represent? Remember to use quotes and examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Rosalind and Celia choose the names "Ganymede" and "Celia" as their aliases when in disguise. What is the meaning behind these names? Why do they choose these specific names? What is the significance of these names in "As You Like It"? Use quotes and information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many different contrasts are shown between country life and city life throughout "As You Like It." What is ultimately proven to be the better of the two? Is there a clear answer to the argument drawn at all? Support your response with specific examples and quotes from the play about country life and city life.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)