|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Sir Rowland and Duke Frederick when Sir Rowland was still alive?
2. Who gives Orlando some traveling money once he leaves the estate?
3. Why has Jaques been avoiding Duke Senior?
4. What is the person who is not feeling well suffering from in Act 2, Scene 6?
5. Whom does Oliver financially support instead of supporting Orlando?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jaques crying over an injured deer in the forest?
2. Why is Audrey upset with Touchstone at the beginning of Act 5, Scene 1?
3. How does Rosalind come to first speak with Orlando?
4. Why does Touchstone think marrying Audrey in the forest will be a benefit?
5. Why is Celia upset with Rosalind at the end of Act 4, Scene I?
6. Why does Corin suggest that he and the girls should go watch Silvius and Phebe?
7. What does Rosalind ask of the men and women in the audience at the end of the play?
8. How do Rosalind and Celia feel once they enter the Forest of Arden?
9. Why do Rosalind and Celia decide to wear disguises to the Forest of Arden?
10. What does Orlando do for Adam while he rests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character is least sympathetic? Between the feuds and personal vendettas characters have throughout the play, who ultimately learns nothing by the play's end? Do all learn a lesson and change their ways? Choose one character that you feel fails the task of learning a lesson, or choose the characters you believe become sympathetic and true-of-heart characters. Remember to use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Rosalind and Celia don disguises when they enter the Forest of Arden. Using these two characters, present a clear thesis for what these disguises represent within the play. Think about the context in which the play was written (i.e., Shakespeare's time). Do these disguises prove positive or negative for the characters who wear them? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the characters in the play are linked either through blood or family relationships. Using the characters in the play and their lineage and connections to one another, write an explication of the relations within the play. Who is the daughter/son of whom? Who are enemies? Who are siblings? Who are related? Who loves whom? Who hates whom? Your essay must be flawless in terms of how you relate each character to one another.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)