|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amiens do so that Jaques will not feel depressed?
2. What injured animal is Jaques crying over near the river?
3. How many crowns is Orlando left by his late father?
4. Who is Orlando talking to in the orchard at the opening of the play?
5. Who is in the forest at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orlando get himself out of the court?
2. How does Jaques liken the injured deer to life at court?
3. Why does Touchstone dislike the forest?
4. How does Rosalind find out about Orlando's feelings for her?
5. What is Silvius' reasoning for why Corin does not know for sure if he has ever been in love?
6. Why is Rosalind kept at court after her father, Duke Senior, is banished to the forest?
7. What leads Duke Frederick to believe that the girls are with Orlando?
8. How do Rosalind and Celia feel once they enter the Forest of Arden?
9. What does Jaques suggest that Duke Senior's men do while they are hunting?
10. Why does Oliver have a change of heart toward his brother, Orlando, in Act 4, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "As You Like It" a pastoral play? What elements within the play contribute to the pastoral theme? Use the Forest of Arden as your platform to answer the question and use specific scenes and quotes to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Rosalind and Celia don disguises when they enter the Forest of Arden. Using these two characters, present a clear thesis for what these disguises represent within the play. Think about the context in which the play was written (i.e., Shakespeare's time). Do these disguises prove positive or negative for the characters who wear them? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many different contrasts are shown between country life and city life throughout "As You Like It." What is ultimately proven to be the better of the two? Is there a clear answer to the argument drawn at all? Support your response with specific examples and quotes from the play about country life and city life.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)