|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oliver do in order to convince Charles to carry out his plan to kill Orlando?
2. What does Celia promise Rosalind will happen when her father, Duke Frederick, dies?
3. Who gives Orlando some traveling money once he leaves the estate?
4. What of Orlando's is being threatened in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. Whom does Oliver financially support instead of supporting Orlando?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Le Beau tell Orlando to leave immediately after the wrestling match?
2. Why does Oliver, the eldest son of the deceased Sir Rowland, pay for Jaques' education but will not give Orlando his inheritance?
3. How does Oliver prove to Orlando that his love for Aliena is true love?
4. What are the stipulations Duke Frederick gives Oliver in the event that he does not find Orlando?
5. Why does Touchstone think marrying Audrey in the forest will be a benefit?
6. What does Duke Senior advise Orlando about while Orlando is trying to vanquish Duke Senior with a sword?
7. What is Silvius' reasoning for why Corin does not know for sure if he has ever been in love?
8. Why does Duke Frederick banish Rosalind from the city so suddenly?
9. Why do Duke Frederick's initial good-natured feelings toward Orlando change to feelings of hate?
10. What does Rosalind say to the audience at the play's finale?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosalind and Celia don disguises when they enter the Forest of Arden. Using these two characters, present a clear thesis for what these disguises represent within the play. Think about the context in which the play was written (i.e., Shakespeare's time). Do these disguises prove positive or negative for the characters who wear them? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Rosalind and Celia choose the names "Ganymede" and "Celia" as their aliases when in disguise. What is the meaning behind these names? Why do they choose these specific names? What is the significance of these names in "As You Like It"? Use quotes and information from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
While disguised as Ganymede, Rosalind grills Orlando on how relationships change between a man and a woman after nuptials. Other instances within the play make comments about the nature of marriage between men and women. Pick a scene from "As You Like It" that discusses the nature of marriage and how it changes a man and woman. How is the dynamic shown/explained? Why does Shakespeare include this question in the play? Use specific examples and quotes from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)