|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hellfrick wants to borrow money from Arturo, this time for:
2. What is the event that ends Arturo's friendship with Hellfrick?
3. When Arturo feels like "Bandini" with Camilla, he:
4. What does Arturo think about the sailors?
5. Camilla's puppy, Willie, provides her with a sense of:
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the emotional "dance" that goes on between Arturo and Camilla. Why are they unable to get along?
2. What purpose does Willie fill in Camilla's life?
3. Discuss Arturo's response to seeing Camilla laughing over his telegram by going dancing. Is his response predictable?
4. What is the symbolism of milk in this chapter?
5. Why does Arturo try to retrieve his telegram before it is delivered to Camilla?
6. Do you consider Arturo pathetic for taking Camilla's hat?
7. What does the sad character, Vera's presence in this chapter represent to Arturo?
8. What is it that draws Camilla to the abusive Sammy?
9. What is Vera's opinion of Arturo's writing?
10. Arturo is feeling fairly good until Camilla shows up. What emotions does Camilla bring out in Arturo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fante's characters are developed through the eyes of Arturo Bandini.
1) Choose one of the characters to describe in detail.
2 Compare and contrast two of the characters' personalities.
3) Write about how one of the characters, if they were dropped into 2009, would be treated.
Essay Topic 2
Arturo and Camilla create many dramatic moments between them.
1) What role and purpose does Camilla play in Arturo's life?
2) What does Arturo represent in Camilla's life?
3) Why do the two of them fight and insult one another?
Essay Topic 3
1) Discuss the symbolism of milk that Fante uses throughout the story. It represents many things and appears at different events in Arturo's life. Look at each of these events and determine what it is that Fante is trying to show us, using milk as a symbol.
2) What are the different characteristics of the milk in each instance?
3) What does milk represent to Arturo?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)