|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arturo try to help Vera?
2. When Arturo does something nice, he is often:
3. When Arturo returns to Camilla's with a nightgown and reading material:
4. What does Vera offer to do for Arturo when they become intimate?
5. Why does Arturo write an angry essay about Catholicism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arturo swear off the Catholic church in this chapter?
2. What is Vera's opinion of Arturo's writing?
3. Why does Arturo try to retrieve his telegram before it is delivered to Camilla?
4. Discuss what happens to Arturo's relationship with Hellfrick.
5. Discuss the emotional "dance" that goes on between Arturo and Camilla. Why are they unable to get along?
6. Arturo seems invigorated by having experienced the earthquake in Long Beach. Why is he so vocal and full of stories about his heroism?
7. Do you consider Arturo pathetic for taking Camilla's hat?
8. What does Fante accomplish with the character, Vera, and the relationship between her and Arturo?
9. What purpose does Willie fill in Camilla's life?
10. Why does Arturo return to the Alta Loma hotel after Camilla disappears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camilla is a very complex character, whose condition deteriorates over the course of this story.
1) Did Arturo's involvement in her life contribute to her demise?
2) Did her relationship with Arturo lead to her mental breakdown?
3) At what points in the story do we really like Camilla?
Essay Topic 2
Racism is a consistent theme throughout the story.
1) Compare and contrast the racist treatment that Camilla and Arturo have both suffered from. How is one different from the other?
2) Has one of the characters been more hurt by racism than the other? How, and why?
3) Discuss Mrs. Hargraves' attitude and how she might fare in today's world as a hotel proprietor.
Essay Topic 3
Raised by his mother to be a strict Catholic, Arturo is always aware of his mother and the church.
1) Why does he feel such guilt? It is not a though his mother is writing and admonishing him.
2) Discuss Arturo's love-hate relationship with the church.
3) When does his religion become most important to him?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)