|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Arturo expresses his love for Camilla by:
2. When Arturo feels like "Bandini" with Camilla, he:
3. Arturo's next story will be based on:
4. What does Vera initially want from Arturo?
5. What does Vera offer to do for Arturo when they become intimate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fante accomplish with the character, Vera, and the relationship between her and Arturo?
2. What is the symbolism of milk in this chapter?
3. Arturo finally gets a big break with the publishing of his new book about Vera. What happens to Camilla?
4. Arturo is feeling fairly good until Camilla shows up. What emotions does Camilla bring out in Arturo?
5. Why is Arturo no longer feeling particularly threatened by Sammy?
6. Why does Arturo send the escaped Camilla money, after all of her unkindness toward him?
7. Arturo seems invigorated by having experienced the earthquake in Long Beach. Why is he so vocal and full of stories about his heroism?
8. Discuss Arturo's response to his sexual success with Vera.
9. Why does Arturo return to the Alta Loma hotel after Camilla disappears?
10. What is Arturo's intention when he waits in Camilla's car for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Hargraves has a small, but important role in Fante's story.
1) What does Mrs. Hargraves symbolize for Arturo?
2) Why does Arturo finally agree with Mrs. Hargraves that the city of Boulder is in Nebraska?
3) Discuss Arturo's decision to force an extra $5 on Mrs. Hargraves when he pays the rent.
Essay Topic 2
Racism is a consistent theme throughout the story.
1) Compare and contrast the racist treatment that Camilla and Arturo have both suffered from. How is one different from the other?
2) Has one of the characters been more hurt by racism than the other? How, and why?
3) Discuss Mrs. Hargraves' attitude and how she might fare in today's world as a hotel proprietor.
Essay Topic 3
Raised by his mother to be a strict Catholic, Arturo is always aware of his mother and the church.
1) Why does he feel such guilt? It is not a though his mother is writing and admonishing him.
2) Discuss Arturo's love-hate relationship with the church.
3) When does his religion become most important to him?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)