|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Arturo leave Camilla to return to Los Angeles?
2. When Arturo and Camilla go to the shooting gallery, she:
3. What is Vera's primary problem?
4. Arturo discovers that Camilla has a:
5. Whose poetry does Vera quote to Arturo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of milk in this chapter?
2. What is Arturo's intention when he waits in Camilla's car for her?
3. What is Vera's opinion of Arturo's writing?
4. Does maturity has much to do with the constant friction between Arturo and Camilla?
5. Why is Arturo no longer feeling particularly threatened by Sammy?
6. Discuss the emotional "dance" that goes on between Arturo and Camilla. Why are they unable to get along?
7. Do you consider Arturo pathetic for taking Camilla's hat?
8. Discuss what happens to Arturo's relationship with Hellfrick.
9. What is it that draws Camilla to the abusive Sammy?
10. What does Arturo have against Sammy? How does Sammy help Arturo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Camilla is a very complex character, whose condition deteriorates over the course of this story.
1) Did Arturo's involvement in her life contribute to her demise?
2) Did her relationship with Arturo lead to her mental breakdown?
3) At what points in the story do we really like Camilla?
Essay Topic 2
So much has changed since Arthur Bandini lived in Los Angeles in 1939.
1) Identify some of the modern conveniences that Arturo did not have.
2) How might the story have changed because of these, if it had been written this year?
3) How would Arturo have approached his career in 2009?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Hargraves has a small, but important role in Fante's story.
1) What does Mrs. Hargraves symbolize for Arturo?
2) Why does Arturo finally agree with Mrs. Hargraves that the city of Boulder is in Nebraska?
3) Discuss Arturo's decision to force an extra $5 on Mrs. Hargraves when he pays the rent.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)