|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seeing Camilla's apartment after the earthquake, Arturo:
2. When Arturo cries about Vera's misfortune, he:
3. Why does Arturo tell wild stories of his great heroism after the earthquake?
4. After writing his attack on the Catholic church, Arturo:
5. Arturo knows he will go to visit Vera. What does he think she will help him with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of milk in this chapter?
2. Why is Arturo no longer feeling particularly threatened by Sammy?
3. Arturo is feeling fairly good until Camilla shows up. What emotions does Camilla bring out in Arturo?
4. Discuss Arturo's response to seeing Camilla laughing over his telegram by going dancing. Is his response predictable?
5. Why does Arturo swear off the Catholic church in this chapter?
6. What is Vera's opinion of Arturo's writing?
7. What does the sad character, Vera's presence in this chapter represent to Arturo?
8. Do you consider Arturo pathetic for taking Camilla's hat?
9. Discuss what happens to Arturo's relationship with Hellfrick.
10. What does Fante accomplish with the character, Vera, and the relationship between her and Arturo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arturo and Camilla create many dramatic moments between them.
1) What role and purpose does Camilla play in Arturo's life?
2) What does Arturo represent in Camilla's life?
3) Why do the two of them fight and insult one another?
Essay Topic 2
There is a significant amount of substance abuse in the story. Why does Fante include this element?
1) What characteristic of the characters is represented by their use of substances, i.e., does it indicate weakness, happiness, boredom, etc.
2) Written at a time when marijuana was not so well-known, what is it about marijuana that Fante shows us in this story?
3) Compare Sammy's drinking habits to Camilla's; how are they alike or different?
Essay Topic 3
Raised by his mother to be a strict Catholic, Arturo is always aware of his mother and the church.
1) Why does he feel such guilt? It is not a though his mother is writing and admonishing him.
2) Discuss Arturo's love-hate relationship with the church.
3) When does his religion become most important to him?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)