|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arturo do to Camilla when he learns he has been tricked?
2. Arturo visits a prostitute in Chapter 2. He considers her:
3. Arturo's worst enemy may be:
4. The waitress responds to Arturo's criticism of her shoes by telling him:
5. Except for one nickel, Arturo uses the small amount of money from Hellfrick to:
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Hargraves position herself with Arturo when they first meet?
2. After his wild spending spree, Arturo rejects his new belongings. Discuss the reasons for this.
3. Why does Arturo portray himself as such a patriotic American?
4. Discuss the possible reason that Arturo decided to become a writer, which is couched in this Chapter.
5. Why does Camilla pull a frightening trick on Arturo at the beach?
6. What does Arturo's interaction with Judy Palmer tell us about him?
7. Based on his situation in Chapter 1, do you think someone like Arturo will be successful in his chosen career?
8. Arturo reveals in Chapter 2 the two things that drive him. What are they?
9. How is Arturo trying to appear to the waitress? What impression does he want to give her?
10. In Chapter 2, Arturo's many fears are revealed. Why do you suppose Arturo is so frightened of women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arturo has some profound revelations as he searches in vain for Camilla in the vast desert.
1) Discuss what Arturo deduces about nature as it relates to humans.
2) What is the symbolism of searching in the desert for a person like Camilla?
3) How does Arturo make peace with losing Camilla for good? Is it a healthy way to say goodbye to her? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1) Discuss the symbolism of milk that Fante uses throughout the story. It represents many things and appears at different events in Arturo's life. Look at each of these events and determine what it is that Fante is trying to show us, using milk as a symbol.
2) What are the different characteristics of the milk in each instance?
3) What does milk represent to Arturo?
Essay Topic 3
Arturo and Camilla create many dramatic moments between them.
1) What role and purpose does Camilla play in Arturo's life?
2) What does Arturo represent in Camilla's life?
3) Why do the two of them fight and insult one another?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)