|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many people have come to California because of:
2. Arturo feels that not having been with a woman has:
3. Arturo made sure that his story was placed:
4. Arturo asks Camilla if her huaraches:
5. Camilla has a professional name because:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arturo give Mrs. Hargraves an extra five dollars with his rent payment?
2. How does Arturo reveal his true feelings toward Camilla in this chapter?
3. Is Arturo stalking Camilla in this chapter?
4. Discuss the possible reasons why Hackmuth made the decision to publish Arturo's thirty-page letter.
5. In their final exchange of insults for this chapter, Camilla forces Arturo into kissing her. Discuss the significance of the kiss.
6. After his wild spending spree, Arturo rejects his new belongings. Discuss the reasons for this.
7. Based on his situation in Chapter 1, do you think someone like Arturo will be successful in his chosen career?
8. What does Arturo's interaction with Judy Palmer tell us about him?
9. What role does the resident mouse in Arturo's room play in the story?
10. Still in his inflated arrogance over his new publication, Arturo returns to the Columbia Buffet, feigning wealth and importance. What is is motive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Arturo resigns himself to not finding Camilla in the end of the story, how does he comfort himself?
1) Discuss Arturo's mixed feelings toward Camilla.
2) If he had found her, how might Camilla's life have changed, if at all?
3) Was Camilla's problem with life all in her head? Did she have some real challenges?
Essay Topic 2
Arturo and Camilla create many dramatic moments between them.
1) What role and purpose does Camilla play in Arturo's life?
2) What does Arturo represent in Camilla's life?
3) Why do the two of them fight and insult one another?
Essay Topic 3
Fante gives us, primarily, three settings that are vastly different from one another. Each one has meaning.
1) Discuss the "feel" of the desert, the beach and the inner city and compare the three.
2) What do these three areas symbolize in Fante's story?
3) What is significant about the characters' moving around among these settings?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)