|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refreshment does Vera bring to Arturo?
(c) Warm milk
2. What does Arturo listen for on the Marines' broadcast?
(a) He tries to learn if the earthquake has destroyed LA
(b) He listens for news of traffic to LA
(c) He tries to determine whether the quake has ended
(d) He listens for Camilla's name as one of the deceased
3. Because Arturo is now rejecting her, Camilla thinks he:
(a) Is in love with Sammy
(b) Is a homosexual
(c) Has lost his mind
(d) Has another girlfriend
4. Why does Arturo write an angry essay about Catholicism?
(a) Because he no longer believes in God
(b) Because the church makes him feel guilty
(c) Because a priest criticized his story
(d) Because his mother has pushed Catholicism
5. Sammy tells Arturo that Mexican girls:
(a) Prefer men with disabilities
(b) Are attracted to men who are sensitive
(c) Don't like to be treated like human beings
(d) Are always trouble in a relationship
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Arturo try to help Vera?
2. How does the author tell us that Vera is an older woman?
3. Hellfrick wants to borrow money from Arturo, this time for:
4. Camilla's puppy, Willie, provides her with a sense of:
5. When Vera appears in Arturo's room for the first time, he momentarily wants to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of milk in this chapter?
2. Do you consider Arturo pathetic for taking Camilla's hat?
3. Discuss what happens to Arturo's relationship with Hellfrick.
4. Why does Arturo send the escaped Camilla money, after all of her unkindness toward him?
5. Why does Arturo try to retrieve his telegram before it is delivered to Camilla?
6. Arturo seems invigorated by having experienced the earthquake in Long Beach. Why is he so vocal and full of stories about his heroism?
7. Discuss Arturo's response to his sexual success with Vera.
8. What is Vera's opinion of Arturo's writing?
9. Why does Arturo return to the Alta Loma hotel after Camilla disappears?
10. What purpose does Willie fill in Camilla's life?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)