|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Arturo cries about Vera's misfortune, he:
(a) Decides to introduce her to Camilla
(b) Wonders what he can do to ease her pain
(c) Considers getting her to counseling
(d) Quickly reverts back to thinking of his own problems
2. Whose poetry does Vera quote to Arturo?
3. What does Arturo think about the sailors?
(a) That even they have what he cannot have
(b) That they live dangerous lives
(c) That they drink far too much
(d) That they are young and foolish
4. With his novel published, Arturo's life has:
(a) Become less interesting
(b) Improved considerably
(c) Gone downhill
(d) Gotten lonelier
5. Why does Arturo tell wild stories of his great heroism after the earthquake?
(a) To impress people with his religious faith
(b) To create humor in a bad situation
(c) To get some attention from those who were not there
(d) To soothe his deep fear of earthquakes
Short Answer Questions
1. Seeing Camilla's apartment after the earthquake, Arturo:
2. Arturo expresses his love for Camilla by:
3. Why does Arturo leave Camilla to return to Los Angeles?
4. What does Vera think of Arturo's writing?
5. While Camilla is staying with Arturo, his writing is:
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the emotional "dance" that goes on between Arturo and Camilla. Why are they unable to get along?
2. Arturo seems invigorated by having experienced the earthquake in Long Beach. Why is he so vocal and full of stories about his heroism?
3. Arturo is feeling fairly good until Camilla shows up. What emotions does Camilla bring out in Arturo?
4. What is the symbolism of milk in this chapter?
5. Discuss Arturo's response to seeing Camilla laughing over his telegram by going dancing. Is his response predictable?
6. Arturo finally gets a big break with the publishing of his new book about Vera. What happens to Camilla?
7. What does the sad character, Vera's presence in this chapter represent to Arturo?
8. What is it that draws Camilla to the abusive Sammy?
9. What does Arturo have against Sammy? How does Sammy help Arturo?
10. Why is Arturo no longer feeling particularly threatened by Sammy?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)