|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Arturo tell wild stories of his great heroism after the earthquake?
(a) To get some attention from those who were not there
(b) To create humor in a bad situation
(c) To impress people with his religious faith
(d) To soothe his deep fear of earthquakes
2. Arturo's initial response to Camilla's request is to:
(a) Write a nice goodbye letter to Sammy
(b) Ignore her and go back to his novel
(c) Throw her out of his apartment
(d) Write a scathing, hurtful letter to Sammy
3. With his novel published, Arturo's life has:
(a) Gotten lonelier
(b) Gone downhill
(c) Become less interesting
(d) Improved considerably
4. At the beach, Arturo hates the seagulls, and Camilla hates the:
5. Why does Arturo leave Camilla to return to Los Angeles?
(a) To pick up his mail
(b) To check out of his hotel room
(c) To buy new furnishings
(d) To see if she can make it alone
Short Answer Questions
1. Arturo's novel will be published, but Camilla is now:
2. After some champagne, Arturo's attitude toward the prostitutes is that:
3. What is the event that ends Arturo's friendship with Hellfrick?
4. Sammy tells Arturo that:
5. When Arturo feels like "Bandini" with Camilla, he:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arturo swear off the Catholic church in this chapter?
2. Arturo is feeling fairly good until Camilla shows up. What emotions does Camilla bring out in Arturo?
3. Discuss Arturo's response to his sexual success with Vera.
4. What does Arturo have against Sammy? How does Sammy help Arturo?
5. What is Arturo's intention when he waits in Camilla's car for her?
6. What purpose does Willie fill in Camilla's life?
7. Does maturity has much to do with the constant friction between Arturo and Camilla?
8. What is it that draws Camilla to the abusive Sammy?
9. What does the sad character, Vera's presence in this chapter represent to Arturo?
10. What is Vera's opinion of Arturo's writing?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)