|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Arturo feels his novel will serve to:
(a) Mend things with his mother
(b) Make him rich and famous
(c) Give his writing to the world
(d) Satisfy his wanderlust
2. When Camilla and Arturo go to visit Sammy, Camilla becomes:
3. What is Vera's primary problem?
(a) She is overly confident
(b) She is lonely
(c) She is unpleasant looking
(d) She has sexual problems
4. What is the guilt and shame that Arturo feels about having been with Vera?
(a) He feels he has violated Vera's innocence
(b) He is sorry that he thought of Camilla the entire time
(c) He feels he has taken advantage of Vera's loneliness
(d) He feels he has committed the mortal sin of adultery
5. What does Arturo observe the group of Protestants doing after the earthquake?
(a) Saying the Pledge of Allegiance
(b) Gathering for prayers
(c) Singing cheap hymns
(d) Listening to music
Short Answer Questions
1. Because Arturo is now rejecting her, Camilla thinks he:
2. Camilla's puppy, Willie, provides her with a sense of:
3. How does Arturo try to help Vera?
4. While Camilla is staying with Arturo, his writing is:
5. After sending his telegram, Arturo tries to:
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does Willie fill in Camilla's life?
2. Discuss the emotional "dance" that goes on between Arturo and Camilla. Why are they unable to get along?
3. What is Arturo's intention when he waits in Camilla's car for her?
4. Why does Arturo return to the Alta Loma hotel after Camilla disappears?
5. What is Vera's opinion of Arturo's writing?
6. Discuss Arturo's response to seeing Camilla laughing over his telegram by going dancing. Is his response predictable?
7. Why does Arturo swear off the Catholic church in this chapter?
8. What does Fante accomplish with the character, Vera, and the relationship between her and Arturo?
9. Do you consider Arturo pathetic for taking Camilla's hat?
10. Why does Arturo try to retrieve his telegram before it is delivered to Camilla?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)