|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hellfrick helps Arturo:
(a) Identify his moral boundaries
(b) Decide not to drink alcohol
(c) Figure out his next novel
(d) Learn how to steal money for food
2. When Arturo cries about Vera's misfortune, he:
(a) Decides to introduce her to Camilla
(b) Wonders what he can do to ease her pain
(c) Considers getting her to counseling
(d) Quickly reverts back to thinking of his own problems
3. How does Arturo escape from Vera at the bar?
(a) He joins a group of friends and leaves
(b) He sneaks out from the men's room to a back alley
(c) He loses himself in a pinball game
(d) He pretends to be sick
4. Hellfrick wants to borrow money from Arturo, this time for:
5. When Arturo does something nice, he is often:
(b) Headed for another religious breakthrough
(c) Temporarily humbled
(d) Angry at himself
6. After some champagne, Arturo's attitude toward the prostitutes is that:
(a) He loves them for their misery
(b) He is repulsed by their nationalities
(c) He feels they are uglier than before
(d) He becomes lifelong friends with them
7. What is the event that ends Arturo's friendship with Hellfrick?
(a) He can no longer stand Hellfrick borrowing money
(b) Hellfrick does not share his meal with Arturo
(c) He is appalled by Hellfrick's killing a calf
(d) Hellfrick's drinking has finally become too much
8. What does Vera initially want from Arturo?
(a) She wants him to join her at the Columbia
(b) She wants him to go drinking with her
(c) She wants him to buy her a drink
(d) She wants him to leave Camilla
9. Why does Arturo tell wild stories of his great heroism after the earthquake?
(a) To get some attention from those who were not there
(b) To impress people with his religious faith
(c) To create humor in a bad situation
(d) To soothe his deep fear of earthquakes
10. When Camilla and Arturo go to visit Sammy, Camilla becomes:
11. Arturo's responds to Vera's disfigured skin by:
(a) Telling her she is still lovely
(b) Leaving the room
(c) Advising her to get surgery
(d) Offering her another drink
12. Sammy tells Arturo that Mexican girls:
(a) Don't like to be treated like human beings
(b) Are always trouble in a relationship
(c) Are attracted to men who are sensitive
(d) Prefer men with disabilities
13. What does Arturo listen for on the Marines' broadcast?
(a) He tries to learn if the earthquake has destroyed LA
(b) He listens for news of traffic to LA
(c) He listens for Camilla's name as one of the deceased
(d) He tries to determine whether the quake has ended
14. After writing his attack on the Catholic church, Arturo:
(a) Mails it to his mother
(b) Mails it to his childhood priest
(c) Sends it to the Pope
(d) Disposes of it
15. What does Arturo think about the sailors?
(a) That they are young and foolish
(b) That even they have what he cannot have
(c) That they live dangerous lives
(d) That they drink far too much
Short Answer Questions
1. Arturo feels his novel will serve to:
2. Arturo's initial response to Camilla's request is to:
3. Why does Arturo leave Camilla to return to Los Angeles?
4. What does Vera offer to do for Arturo when they become intimate?
5. What does Vera think of Arturo's writing?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)