|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Arturo leave Camilla to return to Los Angeles?
(a) To pick up his mail
(b) To see if she can make it alone
(c) To buy new furnishings
(d) To check out of his hotel room
2. How does Arturo try to help Vera?
(a) He tells her it will all be over soon
(b) He asks her to dance with him
(c) He shares about his own loneliness with her
(d) He gives her drink after drink
3. Arturo finds Camilla in his closet:
(a) Smoking marijuana
(b) Drinking milk
(c) Crying for help
4. How does Arturo escape from Vera at the bar?
(a) He joins a group of friends and leaves
(b) He sneaks out from the men's room to a back alley
(c) He pretends to be sick
(d) He loses himself in a pinball game
5. Because Arturo is now rejecting her, Camilla thinks he:
(a) Is a homosexual
(b) Has another girlfriend
(c) Is in love with Sammy
(d) Has lost his mind
6. When Arturo returns to Camilla's with a nightgown and reading material:
(a) Invites him in seductively
(b) Shrieks and alarms her neighbors
(c) Unlocks the door and goes back to bed
(d) Accepts the gifts and locks him out
7. Arturo feels his novel will serve to:
(a) Satisfy his wanderlust
(b) Make him rich and famous
(c) Give his writing to the world
(d) Mend things with his mother
8. Sammy tells Arturo that Mexican girls:
(a) Don't like to be treated like human beings
(b) Are attracted to men who are sensitive
(c) Are always trouble in a relationship
(d) Prefer men with disabilities
9. What refreshment does Vera bring to Arturo?
(c) Warm milk
10. Camilla is institutionalized in:
(a) An addiction clinic
(b) A tuberculosis ward
(c) State prison
(d) A mental hospital
11. What does Vera offer to do for Arturo when they become intimate?
(a) She offers to get them a drink
(b) She offers to drive him home
(c) She offers to be Camilla
(d) She offers to sleep in the living room
12. At the beach, Arturo hates the seagulls, and Camilla hates the:
13. After some champagne, Arturo's attitude toward the prostitutes is that:
(a) He loves them for their misery
(b) He feels they are uglier than before
(c) He becomes lifelong friends with them
(d) He is repulsed by their nationalities
14. What is the event that ends Arturo's friendship with Hellfrick?
(a) He can no longer stand Hellfrick borrowing money
(b) Hellfrick's drinking has finally become too much
(c) Hellfrick does not share his meal with Arturo
(d) He is appalled by Hellfrick's killing a calf
15. Sammy is terminally ill with:
(b) A brain tumor
(d) Lung cancer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arturo listen for on the Marines' broadcast?
2. What is it about Vera that lingers in the room?
3. Seeing Camilla's apartment after the earthquake, Arturo:
4. What does Vera initially want from Arturo?
5. When Sammy goes to see Camilla, he realizes:
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)