|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has changed for Arturo emotionally in this chapter?
(a) He is no longer afraid to take chances
(b) His desire and passion for Camilla has overtaken him
(c) Rejection no longer disturbs him
(d) He finds what he is looking for
2. Why does Arturo leave Camilla to return to Los Angeles?
(a) To buy new furnishings
(b) To pick up his mail
(c) To see if she can make it alone
(d) To check out of his hotel room
3. In this chapter, Arturo may have realized that:
(a) Success in his career is not what makes him ultimately happy
(b) Camilla is his one, lifelong true love
(c) It is much better living farther away from Hellfrick
(d) Having a car may be more trouble than it's worth
4. While Camilla is staying with Arturo, his writing is:
(a) Going downhill
(b) Becoming disorganized
(c) Going well
(d) Being neglected
5. What does Arturo think about the sailors?
(a) That they live dangerous lives
(b) That they drink far too much
(c) That even they have what he cannot have
(d) That they are young and foolish
6. Arturo feels his novel will serve to:
(a) Satisfy his wanderlust
(b) Give his writing to the world
(c) Make him rich and famous
(d) Mend things with his mother
7. When Arturo cries about Vera's misfortune, he:
(a) Quickly reverts back to thinking of his own problems
(b) Wonders what he can do to ease her pain
(c) Decides to introduce her to Camilla
(d) Considers getting her to counseling
8. Camilla is institutionalized in:
(a) A mental hospital
(b) State prison
(c) An addiction clinic
(d) A tuberculosis ward
9. What is the event that ends Arturo's friendship with Hellfrick?
(a) Hellfrick's drinking has finally become too much
(b) Hellfrick does not share his meal with Arturo
(c) He can no longer stand Hellfrick borrowing money
(d) He is appalled by Hellfrick's killing a calf
10. What refreshment does Vera bring to Arturo?
(a) Warm milk
11. Sammy tells Arturo that Mexican girls:
(a) Don't like to be treated like human beings
(b) Are always trouble in a relationship
(c) Are attracted to men who are sensitive
(d) Prefer men with disabilities
12. Why does Arturo tell wild stories of his great heroism after the earthquake?
(a) To create humor in a bad situation
(b) To impress people with his religious faith
(c) To soothe his deep fear of earthquakes
(d) To get some attention from those who were not there
13. Arturo knows he will go to visit Vera. What does he think she will help him with?
(a) He will learn all of the tricks she knows about gambling
(b) He learn to be more relaxed around women
(c) He will learn to better hold his alcohol
(d) He will learn to behave more passionately toward Camilla
14. One indication that everything has changed for Arturo is:
(a) He has to take a different room at the Alta Loma
(b) He has gotten rid of the marijuana
(c) He has decided to live on the beach
(d) Camilla is gone again
15. Arturo decides to be nicer to Sammy because he realizes:
(a) Sammy has been nice to him
(b) He will miss Sammy when he's gone
(c) He and Sammy have been friends a long time
(d) Living is hard enough
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose poetry does Vera quote to Arturo?
2. After some champagne, Arturo's attitude toward the prostitutes is that:
3. What does Arturo observe the group of Protestants doing after the earthquake?
4. Seeing Camilla's apartment after the earthquake, Arturo:
5. When Arturo feels like "Bandini" with Camilla, he:
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)