|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A letter arrives from the government informing the Hossains that the final appeal on their residency status will be on what date, in Section 13: Chapter 16?
2. Where does Nadira sit in the playground where Ma brought her and Aisha when they first moved to Queens in Section 13: Chapter 16?
3. What is an academic title conferred upon the student who delivers the closing or farewell statement at a graduation ceremony?
4. Uncle and Auntie had called Ma to tell her that Nadira had what, in the beginning of Section 12: Chapter 15?
5. In literature, what refers to the struggle occurring within a character's mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tension breaks the celebrations in Section 13: Chapter 16?
2. How does Aisha begin her valedictorian speech in Section 14: Chapter 17?
3. What is the judge's response to Nadira's statements to the court in Section 12: Chapter 15?
4. What does Aisha admit to Nadira when she joins her in the playground in Section 13: Chapter 16?
5. How does Tareq describe the process of fake documentation in Section 11: Chapter 14?
6. What dream does Nadira describe in the beginning of Section 14: Chapter 18? Who awakens her, and why?
7. How does Aisha's behavior and demeanor change in Section 9: Chapter 11? How does Taslima's?
8. How does Nadira feel about being included with Aisha's friends at school in Section 9: Chapter 11?
9. How does Aisha feel upon arriving for her interview at Barnard in Section 10: Chapter 12?
10. Who joins Nadira's family at the police station in Section 8: Chapter 10? What is the reaction to his presence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Taslima and Aisha in the narrative. What does Taslima represent symbolically to both Nadira and Aisha? What leads Aisha to assist Taslima in running away to elope with Tim in the novel? How does the family respond to this digression?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events and the actions of the U.S. Government following 9/11 and their impact on illegal and legal immigrants in the country. How did the lives of legal Muslim immigrants change after the Patriot Act? What are some real-life examples of the discrimination against Muslims following 9/11 in America? How are these events related in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character arc of Nadira in "Ask Me No Questions". How does Nadira progress and grow as a young woman from the beginning of the novel to the end? How is this recognized by her family? What moral lessons does the protagonist learn?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)