|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Nadira's family at the station house when Immigration arrives demanding documentation in Section 8: Chapter 10?
2. Barnard College has been affiliated with what institution since 1900?
3. In literature, what is the inherent incompatibility between the objectives of two or more characters or forces?
4. Barnard College is located in what neighborhood of Manhattan?
5. Who does Uncle blame for sending Abba to Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tension breaks the celebrations in Section 13: Chapter 16?
2. What discovery does Nadira make regarding her mother in Section 12: Chapter 15?
3. How does Aisha feel upon arriving for her interview at Barnard in Section 10: Chapter 12?
4. How does Aisha close her valedictorian speech in Section 14: Chapter 17?
5. Who joins Nadira's family at the police station in Section 8: Chapter 10? What is the reaction to his presence?
6. What does Aisha do with her college acceptance letters in Section 13: Chapter 16? Why?
7. What does Aisha admit to Nadira when she joins her in the playground in Section 13: Chapter 16?
8. How does Nadira feel about being included with Aisha's friends at school in Section 9: Chapter 11?
9. What is Aisha's response when Nadira asks how she could skip her interview in Section 10: Chapter 12?
10. What uproar do the Hossains find when they arrive home from the park in Section 13: Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the history of Bangladesh, and how this history relates to Nadira's family in the novel. How does Nadira describe the lives of her ancestors? What drove her great-grandparents to Dhaka? What was the principal impetus for Bengalis to immigrate to the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events and the actions of the U.S. Government following 9/11 and their impact on illegal and legal immigrants in the country. How did the lives of legal Muslim immigrants change after the Patriot Act? What are some real-life examples of the discrimination against Muslims following 9/11 in America? How are these events related in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the theme of alienation in the novel. How did Nadira's family feel alienated prior to the detainments? How is this theme embodied in each of the members of the Hossain family in Section 9: Chapter 11?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)