|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Aisha say her family entered the country in Section 14: Chapter 17?
2. What is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency?
3. Who did Aisha and Nadira speak to, revealing the truth about their family, in order for Aisha to become valedictorian?
4. In literature, what is the inherent incompatibility between the objectives of two or more characters or forces?
5. Nadira pities her sister for being so concerned about what in Section 9: Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the judge's response to Nadira's statements to the court in Section 12: Chapter 15?
2. What discovery does Nadira make regarding her mother in Section 12: Chapter 15?
3. How does Aisha feel upon arriving for her interview at Barnard in Section 10: Chapter 12?
4. How does Aisha begin her valedictorian speech in Section 14: Chapter 17?
5. What is the judge's decision in the final immigration appeal of the Hossains in Section 14: Chapter 18?
6. What commotion awakens Nadira in Section 8: Chapter 10? How is the scene described?
7. What memory of her father does Nadira relate in the beginning of Section 11: Chapter 13?
8. Where does Tarez take Nadira in Section 11: Chapter 14? What does Nadira decide to do there?
9. How does Tareq describe the process of fake documentation in Section 11: Chapter 14?
10. How does Aisha's behavior and demeanor change in Section 9: Chapter 11? How does Taslima's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the settings of the novel and their significance to the novel's plot and themes. How do the descriptions of Bangladesh differ from the setting of Flushing, Queens? How do the Hossains react to the setting of Vermont and Canada? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in the novel. What symbolism supports this theme? How does Nadira feel about her family, and how do these feelings progress in the narrative? How does the Hossain family evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the theme of familial discord in the novel. How does this theme apply to Lily Yee's family? How does it apply to Nardira's family? What causes an increase in discord within Uncle's family in the second half of the novel?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)