|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barnard College is located in what neighborhood of Manhattan?
2. Who is the college counselor who meets with Nadira as well as her high school counselor in Section 10: Chapter 12?
3. At what time does a police officer finally tell the family that Uncle is being detained in Section 8: Chapter 10?
4. What reporter friend of Mr. Friedlander's wrote an anonymous article about the Hossains after Mr. Friedlander told her their story?
5. Where does Ma stay while in Burlington when Abba is detained?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aisha admit to Nadira when she joins her in the playground in Section 13: Chapter 16?
2. What uproar do the Hossains find when they arrive home from the park in Section 13: Chapter 16?
3. How does Nadira feel about being included with Aisha's friends at school in Section 9: Chapter 11?
4. What does Nadira discover about Lily Yee's father in Section 9: Chapter 11? How?
5. Who does Nadira meet on the Barnard campus during Aisha's interview in Section 10: Chapter 12? What does she think of the campus?
6. What is Aisha's response when Nadira asks how she could skip her interview in Section 10: Chapter 12?
7. What happens at the beginning of the preliminary hearing in Section 12: Chapter 15?
8. How does the family react when Uncle is detained in Section 8: Chapter 10? What do they attempt to do?
9. What commotion awakens Nadira in Section 8: Chapter 10? How is the scene described?
10. What does Nadira do in order to save her father in Section 11: Chapter 13? Who does she see first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of 9/11 on illegal immigrants in the United States. What did the Patriot Act include which caused panic amongst these immigrants? How is this panic reflected in the novel? What were the numbers of immigrants who fled to Canada during this period?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events and the actions of the U.S. Government following 9/11 and their impact on illegal and legal immigrants in the country. How did the lives of legal Muslim immigrants change after the Patriot Act? What are some real-life examples of the discrimination against Muslims following 9/11 in America? How are these events related in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Special Registration law. What did this law mean for Muslim communities? Also, describe the characters of Taslima, Tim, Auntie, and Uncle in the novel. What is the root of the arguments between Taslima and her parents?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)