|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an agency of the United States Department of Justice that serves as both a federal criminal investigative body and an internal intelligence agency?
2. Nadira overhears the school counselors saying that Muslim girls often decide not to go to college after what, in Section 10: Chapter 12?
3. Nadira pities her sister for being so concerned about what in Section 9: Chapter 11?
4. What reporter friend of Mr. Friedlander's wrote an anonymous article about the Hossains after Mr. Friedlander told her their story?
5. Who does Uncle blame for sending Abba to Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aisha close her valedictorian speech in Section 14: Chapter 17?
2. Who joins Nadira's family at the police station in Section 8: Chapter 10? What is the reaction to his presence?
3. What happens at the beginning of the preliminary hearing in Section 12: Chapter 15?
4. What does Mr. Friedlander accost Aisha about in Section 10: Chapter 12? What is Aisha's response?
5. What is Aisha's response when Nadira asks how she could skip her interview in Section 10: Chapter 12?
6. What is the treatment like that Nadira's family receives at the police station in Section 8: Chapter 10?
7. How does Nadira feel about being included with Aisha's friends at school in Section 9: Chapter 11?
8. What commotion awakens Nadira in Section 8: Chapter 10? How is the scene described?
9. What dream does Nadira describe in the beginning of Section 14: Chapter 18? Who awakens her, and why?
10. What discovery does Nadira make regarding her mother in Section 12: Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the theme of familial discord in the novel. How does this theme apply to Lily Yee's family? How does it apply to Nardira's family? What causes an increase in discord within Uncle's family in the second half of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Taslima and Aisha in the narrative. What does Taslima represent symbolically to both Nadira and Aisha? What leads Aisha to assist Taslima in running away to elope with Tim in the novel? How does the family respond to this digression?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the theme of alienation in the novel. How did Nadira's family feel alienated prior to the detainments? How is this theme embodied in each of the members of the Hossain family in Section 9: Chapter 11?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)