|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After what year did the Federal government, rather than the individual states, begin regulating immigration into the United States?
2. Who mocks Aisha and Nadira for thinking they can make a difference in Section 7: Chapter 9?
3. Nadira claims that Abba's older brother was killed when he joined what group in Section 6: Chapter 7?
4. Aisha and Nadira stop at an all-you-can-eat buffet outside what city in Section 3: Chapter 4?
5. Nadira's older sister cries as the family passes through Boston because she has always wanted to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What argument does Nadira have with Uncle in Section 5: Chapter 6? What excuse does Auntie give?
2. What do Nadira and Aisha learn from Ali-uncle in Section 7: Chapter 9? What does Ali-uncle agree to do to help?
3. How does Nadira describe Aisha's integration into American society and culture in Section 3: Chapter 4?
4. What does Nadira relate of her sense of moral goodness in Section 6: Chapter 7? How does she relate this to her ancestry?
5. What do Aisha and Nadira learn from their mother in Section 7: Chapter 9? Who approaches, attempting to help?
6. What does Tim inform Nadira and Aisha regarding their father at the end of Section 5: Chapter 6?
7. What does Nadira say her father has taught her about morality in America in Section 6: Chapter 7?
8. How does Nadira describe her family's settling in Dhaka in Section 3: Chapter 3?
9. What interaction does Nadira have with Tareq in Section 4: Chapter 5? How does she describe this character?
10. Who accosts Nadira on the bus in Section 5: Chapter 6? What is Nadira's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of family in the novel. What symbolism supports this theme? How does Nadira feel about her family, and how do these feelings progress in the narrative? How does the Hossain family evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events and the actions of the U.S. Government following 9/11 and their impact on illegal and legal immigrants in the country. How did the lives of legal Muslim immigrants change after the Patriot Act? What are some real-life examples of the discrimination against Muslims following 9/11 in America? How are these events related in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the plot structure of Ask Me No Questions, identifying and discussing the exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement of the novel. How traditional is Budhos's story structure in the narrative? Are there subplots, and if so, what do they relate?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)