|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the officer tell Abba he must put together for a bond to apply for asylum in Canada again in Section 2: Chapter 2?
2. What sign does Nadira's family pass in Section 2: Chapter 2 that causes Abba to rub his chest?
3. How many of the twenty questions on Nadira's geometry quiz does she complete in Section 5: Chapter 6?
4. Where do Nadira and Aisha go to help Ma buy a coat in Section 2: Chapter 2?
5. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat like one that who wore in Section 2: Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abba's family do once he is taken away in Section 2: Chapter 2? How do they feel?
2. What Partition does Nadira describe in Section 3: Chapter 3? What was its impact on the Bengali people?
3. How have Nadira's feelings about her sister changed at the end of Section 7: Chapter 9? Why?
4. How does Nadira describe Aisha's integration into American society and culture in Section 3: Chapter 4?
5. What do Nadira and Aisha learn from Ali-uncle in Section 7: Chapter 9? What does Ali-uncle agree to do to help?
6. What scene does Aisha make publicly in Section 6: Chapter 8? Why?
7. What does Nadira relate of her sense of moral goodness in Section 6: Chapter 7? How does she relate this to her ancestry?
8. How does Nadira feel about her sister? How does she describe Aisha in Section 1: Chapter 1?
9. When do Nadira and Aisha return to school in Section 4: Chapter 5? Who first approaches them? Why?
10. Who accosts Nadira on the bus in Section 5: Chapter 6? What is Nadira's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the history of Bangladesh, and how this history relates to Nadira's family in the novel. How does Nadira describe the lives of her ancestors? What drove her great-grandparents to Dhaka? What was the principal impetus for Bengalis to immigrate to the United States?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character development of Ma and Abba in the novel. When does Nadira first realize her mother has undergone a change? What is her reaction? What is Nadira's reaction upon seeing her father in the courtroom for the first time? How has he changed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze Nadira's developing plans to help her father in Section 7: Chapter 9. Who do Aisha and Nadira hope to write to and what do they hope to accomplish with their letters? Who mocks the sisters for attempting to find a solution through this means? Why?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)