|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does INS stand for?
2. After what year did the Federal government, rather than the individual states, begin regulating immigration into the United States?
3. Taslima met Tim while working at what?
4. In Section 5: Chapter 6, Nadira and Aisha learn Abba's bond has been denied and he is being held for questioning regarding giving money to what institution, which is suspected of being involved with an illegal political affiliation?
5. Who invites Nadira to sit with her friends at lunch in Section 5: Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Taslima described in Section 4: Chapter 5? How did Taslima meet Tim?
2. What caused the Hossains to seek asylum in Canada in Section 1: Chapter 1?
3. When do Nadira and Aisha return to school in Section 4: Chapter 5? Who first approaches them? Why?
4. How does Nadira describe Aisha's integration into American society and culture in Section 3: Chapter 4?
5. What does Nadira say her father has taught her about morality in America in Section 6: Chapter 7?
6. What does Nadira relate of her sense of moral goodness in Section 6: Chapter 7? How does she relate this to her ancestry?
7. Where do Abba's children and wife go when he is detained in Section 2: Chapter 2? What does he tell them?
8. What interaction does Nadira have with Tareq in Section 4: Chapter 5? How does she describe this character?
9. Who accosts Nadira on the bus in Section 5: Chapter 6? What is Nadira's response?
10. What interaction does Nadira have with her sister at school in Section 5: Chapter 6? How does she feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Taslima and Aisha in the narrative. What does Taslima represent symbolically to both Nadira and Aisha? What leads Aisha to assist Taslima in running away to elope with Tim in the novel? How does the family respond to this digression?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in the novel. What symbolism supports this theme? How does Nadira feel about her family, and how do these feelings progress in the narrative? How does the Hossain family evolve in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character development of Ma and Abba in the novel. When does Nadira first realize her mother has undergone a change? What is her reaction? What is Nadira's reaction upon seeing her father in the courtroom for the first time? How has he changed?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)