|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ma stay when Abba is detained in order to wait for his release in Section 2: Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of the white law student whom Taslima dates in "Ask Me No Questions"?
3. What is a federal law enforcement agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security charged with regulating and facilitating international trade, collecting import duties, and enforcing U.S. regulations, including trade, customs and immigration?
4. In what year did the September 11 attacks take place on the World Trade Center?
5. Who mocks Aisha and Nadira for thinking they can make a difference in Section 7: Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nadira feel about her sister? How does she describe Aisha in Section 1: Chapter 1?
2. What does Abba's family do once he is taken away in Section 2: Chapter 2? How do they feel?
3. What Partition does Nadira describe in Section 3: Chapter 3? What was its impact on the Bengali people?
4. When do Nadira and Aisha return to school in Section 4: Chapter 5? Who first approaches them? Why?
5. How does Nadira describe Aisha's integration into American society and culture in Section 3: Chapter 4?
6. What does Abba tell the border officer in Section 2: Chapter 2? What does the officer respond?
7. Who accosts Nadira on the bus in Section 5: Chapter 6? What is Nadira's response?
8. Where do Abba's children and wife go when he is detained in Section 2: Chapter 2? What does he tell them?
9. What dangers worry Nadira's parents about their attempts to seek asylum in Section 1: Chapter 1?
10. How does Nadira describe her family's settling in Dhaka in Section 3: Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events and the actions of the U.S. Government following 9/11 and their impact on illegal and legal immigrants in the country. How did the lives of legal Muslim immigrants change after the Patriot Act? What are some real-life examples of the discrimination against Muslims following 9/11 in America? How are these events related in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the major conflicts and obstacles for the Hossains in the novel. What external conflicts do the Hossains face? What internal conflicts plague the protagonist? How do each of these conflicts serve to create tension and suspense in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the theme of familial discord in the novel. How does this theme apply to Lily Yee's family? How does it apply to Nardira's family? What causes an increase in discord within Uncle's family in the second half of the novel?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)