|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Tim explains the Special Registration law, Abba wants to register, but who insists it is better to wait or return to Bangladesh?
(b) Lily Yee.
2. What job did Nadira's father take upon arriving in the United States?
3. What is Nadira's last name in the novel?
4. The stated priorities of what organization are to promote national security, to eliminate immigration case backlogs, and to improve customer services?
(d) The USCIS.
5. In Section 5: Chapter 6, Nadira and Aisha learn Abba's bond has been denied and he is being held for questioning regarding giving money to what institution, which is suspected of being involved with an illegal political affiliation?
(a) An international bank.
(b) A mosque.
(c) A synagogue.
(d) A dry-cleaners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a person, team, company, or other organization competing against another person or team, etc.?
2. Who agrees to write a letter, explaining why Abba gave money to the mosque in Section 7: Chapter 9?
3. What is a federal law enforcement agency under the United States Department of Homeland Security responsible for identifying, investigating, and dismantling vulnerabilities regarding the nation's border, economic, transportation, and infrastructure security?
4. How old is Nadira in the beginning of the novel?
5. Aisha and Nadira stop at an all-you-can-eat buffet outside what city in Section 3: Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dangers worry Nadira's parents about their attempts to seek asylum in Section 1: Chapter 1?
2. What interaction does Nadira have with her sister at school in Section 5: Chapter 6? How does she feel about it?
3. What scene does Aisha make publicly in Section 6: Chapter 8? Why?
4. What does Nadira say her father has taught her about morality in America in Section 6: Chapter 7?
5. Where do Abba's children and wife go when he is detained in Section 2: Chapter 2? What does he tell them?
6. What Partition does Nadira describe in Section 3: Chapter 3? What was its impact on the Bengali people?
7. When do Nadira and Aisha return to school in Section 4: Chapter 5? Who first approaches them? Why?
8. How have Nadira's feelings about her sister changed at the end of Section 7: Chapter 9? Why?
9. Where does Nadira go to visit Ali-uncle in Section 4: Chapter 5? How is this character described?
10. What does Tim inform Nadira and Aisha regarding their father at the end of Section 5: Chapter 6?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)