|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Abba incarcerated when he is detained for having an expired visa?
(d) New Paltz.
2. After what year did the Federal government, rather than the individual states, begin regulating immigration into the United States?
3. Taslima claims that "the only way to fight a political situation is to" what, in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) "Be political."
(b) "Fight fair."
(c) "Fight crooked."
(d) "Run away."
4. What does INS stand for?
(a) Immigration and Nationalization Service.
(b) Immigration and Naturalization Service.
(c) Immigration and Neutralization Service.
(d) Immigration and Nurturing Service.
5. Uncle works in what profession in the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the U.S.A. Patriot Act signed into law?
2. What is a person, team, company, or other organization competing against another person or team, etc.?
3. What is the name of the white law student whom Taslima dates in "Ask Me No Questions"?
4. From what country did Nadira's family emigrate to the United States?
5. Along what border does Nadira's hope to stop and apply for asylum in Section 2: Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who accosts Nadira on the bus in Section 5: Chapter 6? What is Nadira's response?
2. What does Abba tell the border officer in Section 2: Chapter 2? What does the officer respond?
3. What Partition does Nadira describe in Section 3: Chapter 3? What was its impact on the Bengali people?
4. How have Nadira's feelings about her sister changed at the end of Section 7: Chapter 9? Why?
5. What does Abba's family do once he is taken away in Section 2: Chapter 2? How do they feel?
6. What argument does Nadira have with Uncle in Section 5: Chapter 6? What excuse does Auntie give?
7. Why does Nadira seek her sister out at school in Section 7: Chapter 9? Where do they go after school?
8. How is the character of Taslima described in Section 4: Chapter 5? How did Taslima meet Tim?
9. What caused the Hossains to seek asylum in Canada in Section 1: Chapter 1?
10. What do Nadira and Aisha learn from Ali-uncle in Section 7: Chapter 9? What does Ali-uncle agree to do to help?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)