|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to the point in the story where the main character's point of view changes, or the most exciting part of the story in literature?
(b) Falling Action.
(d) Rising Action.
2. Who talks about how her graduation present will be visiting her grandparents in India in Section 9: Chapter 11?
(b) Lily Yee.
3. Who joins Nadira's family at the station house when Immigration arrives demanding documentation in Section 8: Chapter 10?
(a) Mr. Rashid.
4. What is an academic title given to the second highest graduate of the entire graduating class of a specific discipline?
5. What is an academic title conferred upon the student who delivers the closing or farewell statement at a graduation ceremony?
6. What forms did Aisha apparently not fill out, according to the school counselors in Section 10: Chapter 12?
(a) Graduation forms.
(b) Financial aid forms.
(c) Her marriage certificate.
(d) College entrance forms.
7. Where does Auntie work every morning in Section 9: Chapter 11?
(a) Dunkin' Donuts.
(c) The 99 cent store.
(d) A corner bodega.
8. What are seven liberal arts colleges in the Northeastern United States that are historically women's colleges?
(a) The Seven Statehoods.
(b) The Seven Sisters.
(c) The Seven Sororities.
(d) The Seven Stars.
9. Uncle is furious because Aisha has helped who run away in Section 13: Chapter 16?
(b) Lily Yee.
10. Nadira overhears the school counselors saying that Muslim girls often decide not to go to college after what, in Section 10: Chapter 12?
(a) They become pregnant.
(b) Their parents are detained.
(c) Their families decide to move back.
(d) Their marriages are arranged.
11. A letter arrives from the government informing the Hossains that the final appeal on their residency status will be on what date, in Section 13: Chapter 16?
(a) July 13.
(b) August 3.
(c) June 12.
(d) November 12.
12. Tareq shows Nadira what when she gets into his car in Section 11: Chapter 14?
(a) A green card.
(b) A gun.
(c) A letter.
13. Aisha does not open what, which arrives in Section 13: Chapter 16?
(a) College acceptance letters.
(b) Deportation forms.
(c) Her exam grades.
(d) Financial Aid award letters.
14. Mr. Rashid told Abba the appeal will either grant the Hossains residency or they will be deported in how much time, in Section 14: Chapter 18?
(a) 30 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 6 months.
15. What is the judge's decision at the Hossains' final appeal for residency in Section 14: Chapter 18?
(a) They can reapply.
(b) They will be arrested.
(c) They will be deported.
(d) They will be executed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who blames herself for being unable to convince the immigration officials to let Uncle out in Section 8: Chapter 10?
2. Who confides that her mom is threatening to throw her dad out in Section 9: Chapter 11?
3. In literature, what refers to the struggle occurring within a character's mind?
4. What reporter friend of Mr. Friedlander's wrote an anonymous article about the Hossains after Mr. Friedlander told her their story?
5. Nadira is shocked that Ma has made friends and no longer needs help taking a bus or what, in Section 12: Chapter 15?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)