|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Nadira's father in the novel?
2. What school counselor informs Aisha that he has arranged a college interview for her in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Chen.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Anderson.
(d) Mr. Friedlander.
3. Nadira often helps who in his newspaper store after school?
(c) Mr. Friedlander.
(d) Mr. Rashid.
4. Once, Nadira came home to find what burning in a pan, and she ran outside to find Ma crying on a park bench?
5. When Abba is detained for having an expired visa, he is told that what proceedings would likely begin in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Importation proceedings.
(b) Deportation proceedings.
(c) Capital punishment proceedings.
(d) Fraud proceedings.
6. What is the name of Nadira's best friend in the novel?
(d) Lily Yee.
7. After what year did the Federal government, rather than the individual states, begin regulating immigration into the United States?
8. Nadira and Aisha learn that Abba saved how much money for their college tuition secretly in Section 7: Chapter 9?
9. What college has Aisha applied to in Canada in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(a) Montreal University.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) McGill University.
(d) Vancouver University.
10. What does the border officer tell Abba when he explains his family is seeking asylum in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) They are no longer offering asylum.
(b) They are overwhelmed with immigrants.
(c) They are happy to take in the family.
(d) They are not accepting Muslim immigrants.
11. Nadira's older sister cries as the family passes through Boston because she has always wanted to do what?
(a) Attend Harvard.
(b) Attend Yale.
(c) Attend Princeton.
(d) Attend Columbia.
12. What is the name of Nadira and Aisha's older cousin?
(d) Lily Yee.
13. Who mocks Aisha and Nadira for thinking they can make a difference in Section 7: Chapter 9?
14. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat like one that who wore in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Jackie Kennedy.
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Betty Davis.
(d) Joan Crawford.
15. On what day do Aisha and Nadira return to school in Section 4: Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangladesh is bordered by India on all sides except for a small border with what country to the far southeast?
2. What is the name of Abba's older brother which Nadira describes in Section 6: Chapter 7?
3. What is a federal law enforcement agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security charged with regulating and facilitating international trade, collecting import duties, and enforcing U.S. regulations, including trade, customs and immigration?
4. How many of the twenty questions on Nadira's geometry quiz does she complete in Section 5: Chapter 6?
5. Nadira's family hired their second immigration lawyer after who saw him on television and convinced him to take their case?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)