|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the second lawyer hired by the Hossains say it had been a mistake for them to go?
2. Along what border does Nadira's hope to stop and apply for asylum in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) North Dakota/Canada.
(b) New York/Canada.
3. Who questions why Aisha applied to a college in Canada in Section 5: Chapter 6?
4. Taslima claims that "the only way to fight a political situation is to" what, in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) "Run away."
(b) "Fight fair."
(c) "Be political."
(d) "Fight crooked."
5. How old is Nadira in the beginning of the novel?
6. Aisha and Nadira map out their argument for writing the new director of immigration and who, pleading for special circumstances in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) The Bengali Ambassador.
(b) The President.
(c) Their congressman.
(d) Their lawyer.
7. What is the name of the white law student whom Taslima dates in "Ask Me No Questions"?
8. What nation divided Bengal in half in an act called Partition?
(d) Great Britain.
9. Where is Abba incarcerated when he is detained for having an expired visa?
(c) New Paltz.
10. What is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions?
11. In what year did the September 11 attacks take place on the World Trade Center?
12. When was the U.S.A. Patriot Act signed into law?
(a) November 20, 2001.
(b) October 11, 2002.
(c) October 26, 2001.
(d) September 12, 2001.
13. What college has Aisha applied to in Canada in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(a) McGill University.
(b) Vancouver University.
(c) Oxford University.
(d) Montreal University.
14. What village in Bangladesh did Nadira's great-grandparents eventually settle in?
15. In what year did a drought cause Nadira's great-grandparents to move to a small village in Bangladesh?
Short Answer Questions
1. Aisha tells Nadira she has been nominated for what in Section 5: Chapter 6?
2. Where does Abba send his daughters when he is detained for having an expired visa in Section 2: Chapter 2?
3. When Bengal was divided in the Partition, the side which belonged to India held mostly what?
4. What job did Nadira's father take upon arriving in the United States?
5. How much money does the officer tell Abba he must put together for a bond to apply for asylum in Canada again in Section 2: Chapter 2?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)