|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what grade was Aisha when she decided which clique of girls she wanted to befriend and begged Ma to buy her the same clothes, according to the narrator?
2. How old is Nadira in the beginning of the novel?
3. Along what border does Nadira's hope to stop and apply for asylum in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) North Dakota/Canada.
(c) New York/Canada.
4. Taslima claims that "the only way to fight a political situation is to" what, in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) "Run away."
(b) "Fight fair."
(c) "Fight crooked."
(d) "Be political."
5. In what year did a drought cause Nadira's great-grandparents to move to a small village in Bangladesh?
6. What does Aisha say about her phone to the school counselor in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) It is broken.
(b) It is cut off.
(c) It is working.
(d) The number changed.
7. In what year did the September 11 attacks take place on the World Trade Center?
8. Nadira's family hired their second immigration lawyer after who saw him on television and convinced him to take their case?
9. Aisha tells Nadira she has been nominated for what in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(a) Prom Queen.
(c) Class Secretary.
(d) Class President.
10. Ma tells Nadira they finally have enough for Abba's bond and he will be released when in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) Next month.
(c) In two weeks.
(d) Next week.
11. What refers to a concerted national effort to prevent terrorist attacks within the U.S., reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism, and minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur?
(a) The FBI.
(b) The CIA.
(c) The Patriot Act.
(d) Homeland Security.
12. What does the border officer tell Abba when he explains his family is seeking asylum in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) They are not accepting Muslim immigrants.
(b) They are no longer offering asylum.
(c) They are happy to take in the family.
(d) They are overwhelmed with immigrants.
13. Where does Ma stay when Abba is detained in order to wait for his release in Section 2: Chapter 2?
14. What is Nadira's last name in the novel?
15. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat like one that who wore in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Joan Crawford.
(b) Marilyn Monroe.
(c) Betty Davis.
(d) Jackie Kennedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions?
2. What nation divided Bengal in half in an act called Partition?
3. When Abba is detained for having an expired visa, he is told that what proceedings would likely begin in Section 2: Chapter 2?
4. Uncle works in what profession in the novel?
5. When Bengal was divided in the Partition, the side which belonged to India held mostly what?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)