|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who agrees to write a letter, explaining why Abba gave money to the mosque in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(c) Mr. Rashid.
(d) Mr. Friedlander.
2. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
3. In Section 5: Chapter 6, Nadira and Aisha learn Abba's bond has been denied and he is being held for questioning regarding giving money to what institution, which is suspected of being involved with an illegal political affiliation?
(a) A mosque.
(b) A dry-cleaners.
(c) An international bank.
(d) A synagogue.
4. In what grade was Aisha when she decided which clique of girls she wanted to befriend and begged Ma to buy her the same clothes, according to the narrator?
5. Who do Taslima, Nadira and Aisha gossip about in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(d) Mr. Rashid.
6. What location in New York Harbor was the gateway for millions of immigrants to the United States?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) Hamilton Island.
(c) Golden Gate Bay.
(d) Alexander Island.
7. After Tim explains the Special Registration law, Abba wants to register, but who insists it is better to wait or return to Bangladesh?
(a) Lily Yee.
8. In what year did the September 11 attacks take place on the World Trade Center?
9. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat that is what color in Section 2: Chapter 2?
10. Who is Nadira's geometry teacher in the book?
(a) Mr. Jackson.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Friedlander.
(d) Mr. Chin.
11. In what year did a drought cause Nadira's great-grandparents to move to a small village in Bangladesh?
12. What is a federal law enforcement agency under the United States Department of Homeland Security responsible for identifying, investigating, and dismantling vulnerabilities regarding the nation's border, economic, transportation, and infrastructure security?
(b) The USCIS.
13. When Abba is detained for having an expired visa, he is told that what proceedings would likely begin in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Deportation proceedings.
(b) Importation proceedings.
(c) Fraud proceedings.
(d) Capital punishment proceedings.
14. Ma tells Nadira they finally have enough for Abba's bond and he will be released when in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) Next week.
(b) In two weeks.
(d) Next month.
15. When Abba saw Ma at a Bengali New Year fair, he refused to do what until his father arranged their marriage?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the white law student whom Taslima dates in "Ask Me No Questions"?
2. The stated priorities of what organization are to promote national security, to eliminate immigration case backlogs, and to improve customer services?
3. Nadira's family is driving where to seek asylum in the beginning of the book?
4. Where do Aisha and Nadira attend school in the novel?
5. According to the narrator, Ma's spirits lifted after Abba got cable because she loves watching what?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)