|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the border officer tell Abba when he explains his family is seeking asylum in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) They are not accepting Muslim immigrants.
(b) They are happy to take in the family.
(c) They are no longer offering asylum.
(d) They are overwhelmed with immigrants.
2. Nadira's older sister cries as the family passes through Boston because she has always wanted to do what?
(a) Attend Princeton.
(b) Attend Columbia.
(c) Attend Harvard.
(d) Attend Yale.
3. When Nadira's great-grandparents settled in a village due to famine, they found work where?
(a) A canning factory.
(b) A jute farm.
(c) A cotton farm.
(d) A fishing pier.
4. How much money does the officer tell Abba he must put together for a bond to apply for asylum in Canada again in Section 2: Chapter 2?
5. In what year did the September 11 attacks take place on the World Trade Center?
6. When Abba is detained for having an expired visa, he is told that what proceedings would likely begin in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Importation proceedings.
(b) Deportation proceedings.
(c) Fraud proceedings.
(d) Capital punishment proceedings.
7. What is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions?
8. Aisha tells Nadira that she needs to do what, now that she is in charge in Section 3: Chapter 4?
(a) Cut her hair.
(b) Go on a date.
(c) Study more at school.
(d) Go on a diet.
9. Nadira claims that Abba's older brother was killed when he joined what group in Section 6: Chapter 7?
(a) The Timor-Leste.
(b) The Maharaja.
(c) The Brahmaputra.
(d) The Mukti Bahini.
10. What is a federal law enforcement agency under the United States Department of Homeland Security responsible for identifying, investigating, and dismantling vulnerabilities regarding the nation's border, economic, transportation, and infrastructure security?
(c) The USCIS.
11. Who questions why Aisha applied to a college in Canada in Section 5: Chapter 6?
12. Where does Abba send his daughters when he is detained for having an expired visa in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Back to Bangladesh.
(b) Back to Minnesota.
(c) Into Montreal.
(d) Uncle and Auntie's apartment.
13. Who is the young Bangladeshi man who tries to sell Nadira a fake ID for Abba in Section 4: Chapter 5?
14. Who does Nadira attempt to cheat off of in her geometry quiz in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(c) Cassie David.
(d) Lily Yee.
15. Where is Abba incarcerated when he is detained for having an expired visa?
(d) New Paltz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What village in Bangladesh did Nadira's great-grandparents eventually settle in?
2. Where do Aisha and Nadira attend school in the novel?
3. Once, Nadira came home to find what burning in a pan, and she ran outside to find Ma crying on a park bench?
4. What refers to a concerted national effort to prevent terrorist attacks within the U.S., reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism, and minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur?
5. What is the name of Nadira and Aisha's older cousin?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)