|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ma stay when Abba is detained in order to wait for his release in Section 2: Chapter 2?
2. When Abba saw Ma at a Bengali New Year fair, he refused to do what until his father arranged their marriage?
3. What refers to a concerted national effort to prevent terrorist attacks within the U.S., reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism, and minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur?
(a) The FBI.
(b) The CIA.
(c) Homeland Security.
(d) The Patriot Act.
4. Who does Nadira attempt to cheat off of in her geometry quiz in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(a) Cassie David.
(d) Lily Yee.
5. What is the name of the second lawyer that the Hossains hire to make them legal?
(a) Mr. Jackson.
(b) Mr. Friedlander.
(c) Mr. Tareq.
(d) Mr. Rashid.
6. After what year did the Federal government, rather than the individual states, begin regulating immigration into the United States?
7. What does INS stand for?
(a) Immigration and Nurturing Service.
(b) Immigration and Nationalization Service.
(c) Immigration and Neutralization Service.
(d) Immigration and Naturalization Service.
8. Where does Abba send his daughters when he is detained for having an expired visa in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Back to Minnesota.
(b) Back to Bangladesh.
(c) Into Montreal.
(d) Uncle and Auntie's apartment.
9. What is the name of the white law student whom Taslima dates in "Ask Me No Questions"?
10. Nadira's family is driving where to seek asylum in the beginning of the book?
(b) The United States.
11. How old is Nadira in the beginning of the novel?
12. What location in New York Harbor was the gateway for millions of immigrants to the United States?
(a) Ellis Island.
(b) Alexander Island.
(c) Golden Gate Bay.
(d) Hamilton Island.
13. Who is Nadira's geometry teacher in the book?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Friedlander.
(c) Mr. Jackson.
(d) Mr. Chin.
14. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat that is what color in Section 2: Chapter 2?
15. What does Aisha say about her phone to the school counselor in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) It is working.
(b) The number changed.
(c) It is broken.
(d) It is cut off.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a word for God used in the context of Islam?
2. What college has Aisha applied to in Canada in Section 5: Chapter 6?
3. What is the name of Abba's older brother which Nadira describes in Section 6: Chapter 7?
4. Aisha tells Nadira that she needs to do what, now that she is in charge in Section 3: Chapter 4?
5. What is the name of Nadira's best friend in the novel?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)