|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who approaches and offers to help get a fake green card for Abba in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(c) Mr. Rashid.
2. Who is the young Bangladeshi man who tries to sell Nadira a fake ID for Abba in Section 4: Chapter 5?
3. Aisha and Nadira stop at an all-you-can-eat buffet outside what city in Section 3: Chapter 4?
(a) New Paltz.
4. What is a federal law enforcement agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security charged with regulating and facilitating international trade, collecting import duties, and enforcing U.S. regulations, including trade, customs and immigration?
(b) The USCIS.
5. Who invites Nadira to sit with her friends at lunch in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(d) Lily Yee.
6. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
7. Uncle works in what profession in the novel?
8. Taslima met Tim while working at what?
(a) A Broadway musical.
(b) A human rights organization.
(c) A catering event.
(d) A political campaign.
9. What sign does Nadira's family pass in Section 2: Chapter 2 that causes Abba to rub his chest?
(a) "Please Present Valid Documentation."
(b) "Now Entering the Republic of Canada."
(c) "Passports Only Lane."
(d) "Leaving the United States of America."
10. What is the name of Abba's older brother which Nadira describes in Section 6: Chapter 7?
11. In what year did a drought cause Nadira's great-grandparents to move to a small village in Bangladesh?
12. Who questions why Aisha applied to a college in Canada in Section 5: Chapter 6?
13. Aisha tells Nadira she has been nominated for what in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(b) Class Secretary.
(c) Prom Queen.
(d) Class President.
14. When Bengal was divided in the Partition, the side which belonged to India held mostly what?
15. Where is Abba incarcerated when he is detained for having an expired visa?
(b) New Paltz.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat that is what color in Section 2: Chapter 2?
2. After what year did the Federal government, rather than the individual states, begin regulating immigration into the United States?
3. Who do Taslima, Nadira and Aisha gossip about in Section 7: Chapter 9?
4. Taslima claims that "the only way to fight a political situation is to" what, in Section 7: Chapter 9?
5. Bangladesh is bordered by India on all sides except for a small border with what country to the far southeast?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)