|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Nadira and Aisha go after school to try calling the INS in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) Dunkin' Donuts.
(b) Ali-uncle's shop.
(d) Uncle's office.
2. Once, Nadira came home to find what burning in a pan, and she ran outside to find Ma crying on a park bench?
3. What is the name of Abba's older brother which Nadira describes in Section 6: Chapter 7?
4. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat that is what color in Section 2: Chapter 2?
5. Nadira often helps who in his newspaper store after school?
(c) Mr. Rashid.
(d) Mr. Friedlander.
6. When Bengal was divided in the Partition, the side which belonged to India held mostly what?
7. How old is Nadira in the beginning of the novel?
8. Taslima met Tim while working at what?
(a) A Broadway musical.
(b) A political campaign.
(c) A catering event.
(d) A human rights organization.
9. What does Abba tell his daughters to say at school after he is detained in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) That he is detained.
(b) That he is sick.
(d) That they are being deported.
10. Who is Nadira's geometry teacher in the book?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Chin.
(c) Mr. Friedlander.
(d) Mr. Jackson.
11. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
12. What refers to a concerted national effort to prevent terrorist attacks within the U.S., reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism, and minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur?
(a) The CIA.
(b) The Patriot Act.
(c) The FBI.
(d) Homeland Security.
13. How many of the twenty questions on Nadira's geometry quiz does she complete in Section 5: Chapter 6?
14. Where does Abba send his daughters when he is detained for having an expired visa in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Uncle and Auntie's apartment.
(b) Into Montreal.
(c) Back to Minnesota.
(d) Back to Bangladesh.
15. When Abba saw Ma at a Bengali New Year fair, he refused to do what until his father arranged their marriage?
Short Answer Questions
1. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat like one that who wore in Section 2: Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of Nadira's best friend in the novel?
3. What is a federal law enforcement agency under the United States Department of Homeland Security responsible for identifying, investigating, and dismantling vulnerabilities regarding the nation's border, economic, transportation, and infrastructure security?
4. Nadira's family hired their second immigration lawyer after who saw him on television and convinced him to take their case?
5. From what country did Nadira's family emigrate to the United States?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)