|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what day do Aisha and Nadira return to school in Section 4: Chapter 5?
2. When Bengal was divided in the Partition, the side which belonged to India held mostly what?
3. Nadira claims that Abba's older brother was killed when he joined what group in Section 6: Chapter 7?
(a) The Brahmaputra.
(b) The Mukti Bahini.
(c) The Timor-Leste.
(d) The Maharaja.
4. Uncle works in what profession in the novel?
5. What does Abba tell his daughters to say at school after he is detained in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) That he is sick.
(b) That he is detained.
(d) That they are being deported.
6. Nadira's family is driving where to seek asylum in the beginning of the book?
(c) The United States.
7. Taslima met Tim while working at what?
(a) A human rights organization.
(b) A catering event.
(c) A political campaign.
(d) A Broadway musical.
8. Bangladesh is bordered by India on all sides except for a small border with what country to the far southeast?
9. Nadira and Aisha learn that Abba saved how much money for their college tuition secretly in Section 7: Chapter 9?
10. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat that is what color in Section 2: Chapter 2?
11. How old is Nadira in the beginning of the novel?
12. What location in New York Harbor was the gateway for millions of immigrants to the United States?
(a) Hamilton Island.
(b) Ellis Island.
(c) Alexander Island.
(d) Golden Gate Bay.
13. In what year did a drought cause Nadira's great-grandparents to move to a small village in Bangladesh?
14. Where do Nadira and Aisha go after school to try calling the INS in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) Uncle's office.
(b) Ali-uncle's shop.
(d) Dunkin' Donuts.
15. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job did Nadira's father take upon arriving in the United States?
2. Where does Abba send his daughters when he is detained for having an expired visa in Section 2: Chapter 2?
3. Where has the school counselor arranged for a college interview for Aisha in Section 4: Chapter 5?
4. Where does Ma stay when Abba is detained in order to wait for his release in Section 2: Chapter 2?
5. Aisha and Nadira stop at an all-you-can-eat buffet outside what city in Section 3: Chapter 4?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)