|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what grade was Aisha when she decided which clique of girls she wanted to befriend and begged Ma to buy her the same clothes, according to the narrator?
2. Where does the second lawyer hired by the Hossains say it had been a mistake for them to go?
3. What school counselor informs Aisha that he has arranged a college interview for her in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Anderson.
(b) Mr. Smith.
(c) Mr. Friedlander.
(d) Mr. Chen.
4. What village in Bangladesh did Nadira's great-grandparents eventually settle in?
5. What is the name of Nadira and Aisha's older cousin?
(d) Lily Yee.
6. What job did Nadira's father take upon arriving in the United States?
7. What sign does Nadira's family pass in Section 2: Chapter 2 that causes Abba to rub his chest?
(a) "Passports Only Lane."
(b) "Now Entering the Republic of Canada."
(c) "Please Present Valid Documentation."
(d) "Leaving the United States of America."
8. Where do Nadira and Aisha go to help Ma buy a coat in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Burlington Coat Factory.
(b) The Salvation Army.
9. When Nadira's great-grandparents settled in a village due to famine, they found work where?
(a) A cotton farm.
(b) A jute farm.
(c) A canning factory.
(d) A fishing pier.
10. Once, Nadira came home to find what burning in a pan, and she ran outside to find Ma crying on a park bench?
11. Nadira's older sister cries as the family passes through Boston because she has always wanted to do what?
(a) Attend Columbia.
(b) Attend Yale.
(c) Attend Princeton.
(d) Attend Harvard.
12. Aisha and Nadira stop at an all-you-can-eat buffet outside what city in Section 3: Chapter 4?
(c) New Paltz.
13. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat that is what color in Section 2: Chapter 2?
14. What nation divided Bengal in half in an act called Partition?
(b) Great Britain.
15. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat like one that who wore in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(a) Marilyn Monroe.
(b) Betty Davis.
(c) Jackie Kennedy.
(d) Joan Crawford.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the white law student whom Taslima dates in "Ask Me No Questions"?
2. What does INS stand for?
3. What location in New York Harbor was the gateway for millions of immigrants to the United States?
4. Aisha tells Nadira that she needs to do what, now that she is in charge in Section 3: Chapter 4?
5. What does the border officer tell Abba when he explains his family is seeking asylum in Section 2: Chapter 2?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)