|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who invites Nadira to sit with her friends at lunch in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(b) Lily Yee.
2. What is the name of Nadira's older sister?
(a) Lily Yee.
3. Where does Ma stay when Abba is detained in order to wait for his release in Section 2: Chapter 2?
4. Nadira and Aisha learn that Abba saved how much money for their college tuition secretly in Section 7: Chapter 9?
5. Where do Nadira and Aisha go to help Ma buy a coat in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(b) The Salvation Army.
(c) Burlington Coat Factory.
6. Taslima claims that "the only way to fight a political situation is to" what, in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) "Fight fair."
(b) "Fight crooked."
(c) "Run away."
(d) "Be political."
7. What school counselor informs Aisha that he has arranged a college interview for her in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mr. Anderson.
(c) Mr. Chen.
(d) Mr. Friedlander.
8. What village in Bangladesh did Nadira's great-grandparents eventually settle in?
9. Nadira's family hired their second immigration lawyer after who saw him on television and convinced him to take their case?
10. What refers to a concerted national effort to prevent terrorist attacks within the U.S., reduce America's vulnerability to terrorism, and minimize the damage and recover from attacks that do occur?
(a) The FBI.
(b) The CIA.
(c) Homeland Security.
(d) The Patriot Act.
11. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
12. Who questions why Aisha applied to a college in Canada in Section 5: Chapter 6?
13. From what country did Nadira's family emigrate to the United States?
14. Where do Nadira and Aisha go after school to try calling the INS in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(b) Ali-uncle's shop.
(c) Dunkin' Donuts.
(d) Uncle's office.
15. On what day do Aisha and Nadira return to school in Section 4: Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Nadira and Aisha discover from their mother that they kept their savings with whom in Section 7: Chapter 9?
2. Aisha and Nadira stop at an all-you-can-eat buffet outside what city in Section 3: Chapter 4?
3. Nadira's older sister cries as the family passes through Boston because she has always wanted to do what?
4. In Section 5: Chapter 6, Nadira and Aisha learn Abba's bond has been denied and he is being held for questioning regarding giving money to what institution, which is suspected of being involved with an illegal political affiliation?
5. What is a federal law enforcement agency of the United States Department of Homeland Security charged with regulating and facilitating international trade, collecting import duties, and enforcing U.S. regulations, including trade, customs and immigration?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)