|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does INS stand for?
(a) Immigration and Nurturing Service.
(b) Immigration and Nationalization Service.
(c) Immigration and Neutralization Service.
(d) Immigration and Naturalization Service.
2. From what country did Nadira's family emigrate to the United States?
3. Who do Taslima, Nadira and Aisha gossip about in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) Mr. Rashid.
4. Aisha and Nadira stop at an all-you-can-eat buffet outside what city in Section 3: Chapter 4?
(a) New Paltz.
5. What is the name of Abba's older brother which Nadira describes in Section 6: Chapter 7?
6. Nadira recounts how the first lawyer they hired to make them legal was investigated for what?
(c) Bank robbery.
7. Where has the school counselor arranged for a college interview for Aisha in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) Boston University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Barnard College.
8. On what day do Aisha and Nadira return to school in Section 4: Chapter 5?
9. The stated priorities of what organization are to promote national security, to eliminate immigration case backlogs, and to improve customer services?
(d) The USCIS.
10. When Abba saw Ma at a Bengali New Year fair, he refused to do what until his father arranged their marriage?
11. What is the name of Nadira and Aisha's older cousin?
(d) Lily Yee.
12. Once, Nadira came home to find what burning in a pan, and she ran outside to find Ma crying on a park bench?
13. Taslima met Tim while working at what?
(a) A political campaign.
(b) A human rights organization.
(c) A Broadway musical.
(d) A catering event.
14. What is the name of the second lawyer that the Hossains hire to make them legal?
(a) Mr. Jackson.
(b) Mr. Rashid.
(c) Mr. Tareq.
(d) Mr. Friedlander.
15. Taslima claims that "the only way to fight a political situation is to" what, in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) "Fight crooked."
(b) "Run away."
(c) "Fight fair."
(d) "Be political."
Short Answer Questions
1. Nadira's older sister cries as the family passes through Boston because she has always wanted to do what?
2. Where does Abba send his daughters when he is detained for having an expired visa in Section 2: Chapter 2?
3. Where do Nadira and Aisha go after school to try calling the INS in Section 7: Chapter 9?
4. Who invites Nadira to sit with her friends at lunch in Section 5: Chapter 6?
5. What is the name of Nadira's older sister?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)