|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, Ma's spirits lifted after Abba got cable because she loves watching what?
(a) Singing shows.
(b) Soap operas.
(c) Cooking shows.
2. Who do Nadira and Aisha get to write a letter about Abba in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) His boss.
(b) His father.
(c) A police officer.
(d) His case worker.
3. What college has Aisha applied to in Canada in Section 5: Chapter 6?
(a) Vancouver University.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) McGill University.
(d) Montreal University.
4. What is the name of Nadira's older sister?
(b) Lily Yee.
5. What is the name of Nadira's best friend in the novel?
(d) Lily Yee.
6. What does Abba tell his daughters to say at school after he is detained in Section 2: Chapter 2?
(b) That he is detained.
(c) That they are being deported.
(d) That he is sick.
7. In what year did the September 11 attacks take place on the World Trade Center?
8. Where do Aisha and Nadira attend school in the novel?
(a) Brooklyn Heights High.
(b) Meadowlark High.
(c) Flushing High.
(d) New York High.
9. In what year did a drought cause Nadira's great-grandparents to move to a small village in Bangladesh?
10. How many of the twenty questions on Nadira's geometry quiz does she complete in Section 5: Chapter 6?
11. Where is Abba incarcerated when he is detained for having an expired visa?
(b) New Paltz.
12. Aisha and Nadira map out their argument for writing the new director of immigration and who, pleading for special circumstances in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) Their congressman.
(b) Their lawyer.
(c) The Bengali Ambassador.
(d) The President.
13. Where do Nadira and Aisha go after school to try calling the INS in Section 7: Chapter 9?
(a) Uncle's office.
(c) Dunkin' Donuts.
(d) Ali-uncle's shop.
14. Ma tells Nadira they finally have enough for Abba's bond and he will be released when in Section 4: Chapter 5?
(a) In two weeks.
(b) Next week.
(d) Next month.
15. Nadira's family hired their second immigration lawyer after who saw him on television and convinced him to take their case?
Short Answer Questions
1. Aisha tells Nadira that she needs to do what, now that she is in charge in Section 3: Chapter 4?
2. Uncle works in what profession in the novel?
3. What is the name of the second lawyer that the Hossains hire to make them legal?
4. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat that is what color in Section 2: Chapter 2?
5. After Abba is taken away, Nadira and Aisha help Ma buy a coat like one that who wore in Section 2: Chapter 2?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)