Section 1: Chapter 1
• Nadira feels like she is dreaming as her family drives toward Canada to apply for asylum.
• Aisha, Nadira's older sister, cries as they pass through Boston because she has always wanted to attend Harvard, but Ma assures Aisha she will get into a good school in Canada.
• The family knows they will have to return to America if Canada turns them down, and Abba will probably be arrested for having an expired visa.
• After that, they may be permitted to apply for residency again, or they may be deported back to Bangladesh.
• Recalling when her family first arrived at the New York airport, Nadira notes they were nervous because they planned to stay past their visa expiration, as many Bangladeshis do.
• Abba began making money as a waiter, but for a long time, they lived so they could move at a moment's notice, as they always...
This section contains 2,333 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)