• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Anderson, Laurie Halse. Ashes. Athenum Books for Young Readers, 2016. Hardcover.
• NOTE: This lesson plan will refer to characters of African descent as black people in order to maintain consistency with the novel.
• Isabel and her friend Curzon, two runaway slaves, hid in the woods with some British officers resting near a milestone not far away.
• Isabel and Curzon had been traveling together for years, searching for Isabel’s sister, Ruth.
• Isabel, the narrator, thought about her strained relationship with Curzon, who was loyal to the Patriot cause which Isabel did not trust.
• Isabel tricked Curzon into leaving to investigate a noise so she could sneak closer to to the milestone that the British were resting near.
• Isabel disturbed a deadly rattlesnake just as the British soldiers became alert because of loud noises in...
This section contains 3,031 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)