|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the power of the tobacco industry peak?
(a) In the late 1970s.
(b) In the early 1980s.
(c) In the early 1970s.
(d) In the late 1980s.
2. In 1978, the AMA releases a long awaited report on tobacco which is considered what?
(a) A tremendous improvement.
(b) A whitewash by many in the health community.
(c) Significant in the fight against the tobacco industry.
(d) A great attempt by the AMA.
3. By the time of the Surgeon General's first report in 1982, what could be conclusively shown?
(a) Of the 6 percent of U.S. deaths due to cancer, 10 percent of those were linked to smoking - over 25,000 deaths a year.
(b) Of the 11 percent of U.S. deaths due to cancer, 15 percent of those were linked to smoking - over 50,000 deaths a year.
(c) Of the 21 percent of U.S. deaths due to cancer, 30 percent of those were linked to smoking - over 100,000 deaths a year.
(d) Of the 2 percent of U.S. deaths due to cancer, 5 percent of those were linked to smoking - over 10,000 deaths a year.
4. What does the tobacco industry cunningly use the tax--which doubled from eight to sixteen cents--to do?
(a) Lower the cost of cigarettes and selling more cigarettes in the process.
(b) Encourage more people to begin smoking.
(c) Increase its prices significantly more than the amount of the actual increase - giving them more profit.
(d) Sell more packs of cigarettes.
5. The success of what 1973 horse race opens a new era for sponsoring spectator sporting events?
(a) The Winston Derby.
(b) The Winston Cup.
(c) The Marlboro Cup.
(d) The Marlboro Derby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What states that all potentially dangerous products could be scrutinized by comparing risk to benefit?
2. With Philip Morris at the top of the heap, Maxwell worked to use its huge cash reserves to do what?
3. What does a particularly promising palladium filtered cigarette developed by scientists at the Liggett Group seem to do?
4. When does RJR general council Henry Ramm urge a more aggressive approach to the previous holding the line?
5. Why does this take some time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do studies in the early 1970s show?
2. What is the end result of the lawsuit regarding Rose Cipollone's death?
3. What does R.J. Reynolds do try to stay ahead of the competition?
4. Why is the CIAR formed? What does it do?
5. What do the various tobacco companies do when they are not allowed to have television ads?
6. What happens under the new Reagan administration?
7. What does Henry Waxman do for the anti-smoking cause?
8. What is examined for the first time since the Great Depression?
9. Describe the study done by the ACS in 1967.
10. What does Hamish Maxwell do for Philip Morris?
This section contains 1,588 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)