|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A __________ study on the effects of smoke on rabbit lungs was abruptly shut down and the researchers' notebooks confiscated.
(a) Eight year.
(b) Two year.
(c) Four year.
(d) Ten year.
2. At the same time, what are examined for the first time since the Great Depression?
(a) Tobacco federal subsidies.
(b) The air pollution caused by cigarettes.
(c) The links between cancer and nicotine.
(d) The addictive qualities of nicotine.
3. What does a 1981 Japanese study find?
(a) Non-smoking wives of smoking husbands were 40-90 percent more likely to contract lung cancer than those with non-smoking husbands.
(b) Non-smoking wives of smoking husbands were 20-40 percent more likely to contract lung cancer than those with non-smoking husbands.
(c) Non-smoking husbands of smoking wives were 40-90 percent more likely to contract lung cancer than those with non-smoking wives.
(d) Non-smoking husbands of smoking wives were 20-40 percent more likely to contract lung cancer than those with non-smoking wives.
4. What does Rose tell her attorney that she wanted him to do after her death?
(a) Destroy her cigarettes.
(b) Press on.
(c) Protect her family.
(d) Stop fighting.
5. For what does Rose's lawyer work?
(a) To get money from the tobacco industry for Rose's family.
(b) Stronger laws against smoking.
(c) To show a pattern of distorting data and hiding negative evidence over the years that pushed the threshold of conspiracy.
(d) To pay for Rose's treatment and funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. After years of bickering and hesitation, what do the "big three" anti-cancer organizations (AHA, ALA, ACS) do?
2. Johnson was seen as _____________ and the company's stock price suffered as a result.
3. Although public opinion was swinging against tobacco in the 1970s, the industry still had what?
4. In 1978, the AMA releases a long awaited report on tobacco which is considered what?
5. The success of what 1973 horse race opens a new era for sponsoring spectator sporting events?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry Ramm do to research on the link between smoking and cancer?
2. What does RJR's Tylee Wilson want to do to diversify RJR?
3. Describe the study done by the ACS in 1967.
4. Describe the 1979 Surgeon General's Report.
5. What happens when Cullman buys the Miller Brewing Company?
6. What does Hamish Maxwell do for Philip Morris?
7. How does the industry still have great influence in the 1970s?
8. What does Henry Waxman do for the anti-smoking cause?
9. What do studies in the early 1970s show?
10. How is the industry successful against grass roots efforts?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)