|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first large company to ban smoking outright on its premises?
(b) Capital One Bank.
(c) Boeing Aircraft.
(d) Merrill Lynch.
2. How does Rose's attorney counter the statements made about the extensive health warnings?
(a) Warning labels are difficult to understand.
(b) Rose does not speak or read English.
(c) Health warnings are not easily known or understood by the general public.
(d) With examples of tobacco company deceptive advertising that made Rose doubt health claims.
3. When does the power of the tobacco industry peak?
(a) In the late 1980s.
(b) In the late 1970s.
(c) In the early 1970s.
(d) In the early 1980s.
4. Studies in the early 1970s showed that smokers could be broken into what?
(a) The men and women.
(b) Those addicted and those not addicted.
(d) The filter and non-filters.
5. Marketers wanted to release a low tar Marlboro, but did not want what to happen?
(a) The image of the cowboy to change.
(b) Consumers to not like the taste.
(c) The name "mild" to detract from the rugged image of the product.
(d) Consumers to not trust the original cigarettes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When advertising faltered, R.J. Reynolds officials start a practice known as trade-loading to do what?
2. What has smoking become by the late 1980s?
3. What quickly became a prestigious health research institute?
4. About what is Califano furious?
5. Philip Morris invests in what type of facilities that replace the old, factory cigarette mills of the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do studies in the early 1970s show?
2. What does RJR's Tylee Wilson want to do to diversify RJR?
3. What does Henry Waxman do for the anti-smoking cause?
4. What happens when Cullman buys the Miller Brewing Company?
5. How does the industry still have great influence in the 1970s?
6. What happens to the palladium filtered cigarette?
7. Describe the 1979 Surgeon General's Report.
8. What does R.J. Reynolds do try to stay ahead of the competition?
9. Describe the beginning of the American Health Foundation.
10. How is the industry successful against grass roots efforts?
This section contains 1,492 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)