|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is a more 'manly' image for Marlboro created?
(a) A symbol of a warrior is placed on a new flip top box with a bow and arrow design.
(b) A symbol of a cowboy is placed on a new flip top box with a sharp, red and white logo.
(c) A symbol of a fireman is place on a new flip top box with a blue circle design.
(d) A symbol of a cowboy on the original box and design.
2. Who is the so called "tar czar?"
(a) Ronald McDonald.
(b) Raymond Meijer.
(c) Robert Meyner.
(d) Richard Meyer.
3. Why is it so difficult to change patterns that had existed for a generation?
(a) So many people do not believe smoking is dangerous.
(b) So many people have a self-interest in the smoking industry.
(c) So many people do not want to change.
(d) So many people are addicted to smoking.
4. What creates very bad publicity for R.J Reynolds?
(a) Clay Williams does not have enough cigarettes made, and stores run out quickly.
(b) Adviertisements are near geared towards men.
(c) Clay Williams orders a price increase from fourteen to fifteen cents per pack.
(d) Several people die immediately from smoking his cigarettes.
5. American Tobacco Company keeps a tight leash on what?
(a) Its consumers.
(b) Its secret recipe.
(c) Its distributors, jobbers, and suppliers.
(d) Its slaves that work in the fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a price increase help smaller bargain brands?
2. What is happening to cigarettes on the social front in 1898?
3. How many Americans are smoking in the 1940s?
4. Why does Buck open a New York plant in 1884?
5. What weighs over one ton and has the capacity to produce approximately 200 cigarettes per minute?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sylvester (Pat) Weaver do for American Tobacco Company?
2. What were the tobacco preferences of early Americans?
3. What do periodicals in the 1930s say about smoking?
4. What do Joe Cullman Jr. and his son do for Benson & Hedges?
5. What does Buck do when cigarette revenues begin to decline?
6. What is the job of the "tar czar"?
7. What does RJR do after James Gray's death?
8. What do the American Cancer Society and others do?
9. What happens to R.J. Reynolds under Clay Williams?
10. What does Brown and Williamson's Senior Vice President want to do? What are the results?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)