|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 16: Of Dragonslayers and Pond Scum.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Buck open a New York plant in 1884?
(a) New York is a large city, with many wealthy smokers.
(b) He has always wanted to live in New York.
(c) To try to merge with large New York companies.
(d) To try to grab hold of the immigrant market for cheap cigarettes.
2. Philip Morris was making large inroads in Europe with new manufacturing centers in what countries?
(a) Sweden and Belgium.
(b) Romania and Hungary.
(c) France and Spain.
(d) Holland and Germany.
3. What does a 1981 Japanese study find?
(a) Non-smoking wives of smoking husbands were 20-40 percent more likely to contract lung cancer than those with non-smoking husbands.
(b) Non-smoking husbands of smoking wives were 40-90 percent more likely to contract lung cancer than those with non-smoking wives.
(c) Non-smoking husbands of smoking wives were 20-40 percent more likely to contract lung cancer than those with non-smoking wives.
(d) Non-smoking wives of smoking husbands were 40-90 percent more likely to contract lung cancer than those with non-smoking husbands.
4. When advertising faltered, R.J. Reynolds officials start a practice known as trade-loading to do what?
(a) Artificially decrease its long term sales numbers.
(b) Artificially increase its long term sales numbers.
(c) Artificially decrease its short term sales numbers.
(d) Artificially increase its short term sales numbers.
5. Eventually, what are the tobacco companies successful in doing?
(a) Organizing a campaign against small organizations.
(b) Fighting back several state campaigns, although it was at a great expense.
(c) Going to the federal government for support.
(d) Fighting back a couple of state campaigns.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the late 1920s, what are medical examiners noticing?
2. What is happening to cigarettes on the social front in 1898?
3. After years of bickering and hesitation, what do the "big three" anti-cancer organizations (AHA, ALA, ACS) do?
4. What does Liggett & Myers hope would happen to its new Lark cigarette?
5. To whom does the small Philip Morris (under the United Cigar Stores) company start exclusively marketing?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)