|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Wyler use to describe Alexa's life story and past?
2. According to Alexa, where did Michael commit suicide?
3. What does Alexa make Wyler promise her as she tells him the story in the hotel room?
4. What does Alexa say she smells in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. How does Alexa describe Wyler buying his first suit in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kaden react when Wyler goes to see him about Alexa in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What story does Alexa tell Wyler about Bethany Vance?
3. Why does Alexa say writers always have the last word?
4. What prompts Wyler to start writing in Act 2, Scene 9?
5. Why does Alexa think Wyler is pursuing her after she conned him?
6. Who is Morris Kaden?
7. Why does Wyler stop by Mike's loft in Act 2, Scene 8?
8. How does Alexa describe the reactions people will have when they see Wyler in the suit?
9. What does Alexa offer Wyler since he is not writing?
10. How does Alexa respond to Wyler when he does not want her to pay for his suit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The playwright uses the element of deus ex machina in the play. What is this stage element? What does it mean? How does the playwright use it? Is it effective or not? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 2
Wyler and Alexa take on the roles of protagonist and antagonist, respectively. Compare and contrast these two characters. How are they drawn to each other? How do they complement each other? What makes them a unique or unexpected pair? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
Essay Topic 3
Alexa has gotten away with conning people numerous times before she cons Wyler, who then decides to go after her. Why has no one before Wyler tried to track down Alexa? What has stopped them? How has this enabled Alexa to continue conning people? In turn, what makes Wyler want to track down Alexa? Why is he different from the rest of her victims? Use specific examples from the text in the response.
This section contains 1,836 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)