|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cora perceive as the sign that Addie has died in Chapter 16: "Tull"?
(a) A buzzard flying over.
(b) The arrival of Peabody's horses.
(c) The arrival of Darl.
(d) A telephone call from Anse.
2. What does Vardaman claim his mother is in Chapter 19: "Vardaman"?
(a) A buzzard.
(b) A horse.
(c) A goddess.
(d) A fish.
3. What word from Chapter 12: "Darl" means to wail in grief?
4. Where is the wagon when Darl begins laughing in Chapter 25: "Darl"?
(a) Quick's Lane.
(b) Tull's Lane.
(c) Samson's Lane.
(d) Anderson's Lane.
5. Who comes to inform those at the Bundren home that the bridge has gone out in Chapter 20: "Tull"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cora describe interrupting Darl as he stared at his dying mother in Chapter 6: "Cora"?
2. Who does Tull describe as standing like a scarecrow in Chapter 16: "Tull"?
3. What does Cash do after realizing that his mother is dead in Chapter 12: "Darl"?
4. What does Tull say is the only burden Anse has ever had in Chapter 16: "Tull"?
5. What is Vardaman doing when he is seen after the funeral service in Chapter 20: "Tull"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lafe and what is his role in the novel?
2. How would you describe Jewel Bundren’s actions in carrying the coffin in Chapter 23: “Darl”?
3. What is indicated by Kate Tull’s concern about the cakes that don’t sell in Chapter 2: “Cora”?
4. What is indicated by Anse’s superstitions about moving in Chapter 9: “Anse”?
5. What is indicated by Anse Bundren’s behavior after Addie’s death in Chapter 12: “Darl”?
6. What are the individual agendas of the Bundren family members as they prepare to depart for their journey in Chapter 24: “Vardaman”?
7. How is Anse Bundren characterized in Chapter 5: “Darl”? How does Jewel differ from his father?
8. What is the main setting of As I Lay Dying? Where does the story begin?
9. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 20: “Tull”?
10. What sentence comprises Chapter 19: “Vardaman”? What is the meaning behind this chapter?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)