|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tull say is the only burden Anse has ever had in Chapter 16: "Tull"?
(a) His father.
(c) Lack of intelligence.
2. How much does Peabody say he weighs in Chapter 11: "Peabody"?
(a) 250 pounds.
(b) 225 pounds.
(c) 190 pounds.
(d) 300 pounds.
3. Whose raincoat is offered to Cash while he works on the coffin in Chapter 17: "Darl"?
4. What does Dewey Dell repeatedly say that she is in Chapter 14: "Dewey Dell"?
(b) The rainbow.
(d) The sky.
5. What are the names of Tull's daughters?
(a) Kate and Eula.
(b) Mary and Marie.
(c) Donna and Eula.
(d) Sarah and Anna.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Darl say that Peabody has "pussel-gutted himself" (13) in Chapter 10: "Darl"?
2. Where does Vardaman describe not being able to breathe in Chapter 15: Vardaman"?
3. Who says "I mislike undecision as much as ere a man" in Chapter 5: "Darl"?
4. Whose coffin is being constructed in Chapter 1: "Darl"?
5. How long does Peabody say it's been since Anse was in town in Chapter 11: "Peabody"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Cash Bundren’s feelings for his father illustrated through his actions in Chapter 17: “Darl”?
2. What is the main setting of As I Lay Dying? Where does the story begin?
3. What is indicated by Anse’s superstitions about moving in Chapter 9: “Anse”?
4. Why is Jewel Bundren angry in Chapter 4: “Jewel”? What does his anger indicate about Jewel’s character?
5. What is Tull's relationship to the Bundrens? What role does he play in the story?
6. Who is Lafe and what is his role in the novel?
7. What does Jewel do when he family departs in Chapter 25: “Darl”? Why?
8. What are the individual agendas of the Bundren family members as they prepare to depart for their journey in Chapter 24: “Vardaman”?
9. What is indicated by Cash’s detailed list in Chapter 18: “Cash”?
10. What does "luck" mean to Anse Bundren?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)