Chapters 1 - 5
• NOTE: Citations, page numbers, and references in this Lesson Plan refer to the following version of the book: Faulkner, William. As I Lay Dying: The Corrected Text. Vintage Books edition, 1987.
• Chapters in this novel are titled by the character who narrates each chapter. For clarity, in this guide, chapters are referenced by both character name and chapter number.
• Each of the chapters in As I Lay Dying is brief, related from a direct first-person perspective, and nonlinear in structure. Certain events in the story are related from different perspectives, with the narrative jumping back and forth in time.
• Chapter 1: “Darl,” Darl describes returning with Jewel from the fields to their house.
• When Darl and Jewel near the house, they pass Cash, who is making a coffin for their dying mother, Addie Bundren.
• Chapter 2: “Cora” changes perspective to the narrative of Cora Tull, wife of Vernon Tull...
This section contains 2,532 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)