|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elisha's new plan concerning the Jews and Christians who believe differently than the traditional Jewish doctrine?
2. Does Abuyah consort with pagan philosophers and read Greek books?
3. When Elisha's trial period as a sage apprentice is over, what does he decide to do?
4. Why does Pappas go back to Israel?
5. Who stands up against the leader of the rebels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job of the Sanhedrin?
2. Elisha sees a young boy climbing a tree for bird eggs. What happens to the little boy and how does it affect Elisha?
3. Who does Elisha turn to after sharing his thoughts with Deborah, and why?
4. Who eavesdrops on a conversation between Elisha and Meir, and what does she discover?
5. Why does Julianus of Tarsus encourage the Jews to fight?
6. In Part One, Chapter XX, what advice does Nicholaus give to Elisha about Elisha's obsession with Greek literature?
7. Do you think Elisha manipulated his friends to study Greek literature for his own purposes?
8. Why is Manto so casual about buying another human slave?
9. In Part One, Chapter X, does Elisha seem happy? Why?
10. How does Elisha respond to the death of Beruriah and Meir's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Elisha moves to Antioch, his whole lifestyle completely changes. How does Elisha handle his new life? Should he be more accepting or reserved concerning the Greek lifestyle he is being quickly caught up in? Contrast the community of Antioch with the Jewish community of Elisha's youth.
Essay Topic 2
In As a Driven Leaf, Deborah and Elisha are betrothed according to Jewish tradition. What similarities is their marriage based on? Find other couples and marriages in the book. What similarities are their relationships based on? Compare and contrast at least two relationships. Support your examples with material from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the contrast between the decision of the people of Bethar and the decision of Elisha when faced with Roman persecution. Why did the people of Bethar choose to commit mass suicide? Who made the wiser choice, the people of Bethar or Elisha? Define wisdom according to the principles of Elisha and the town of Bethar.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)