|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Elisha sent, as a sage, to sit in court over a controversial issue?
2. Whose mother dies soon after childbirth?
3. How does Elisha plan to defend himself to the Sanhedrin?
4. When Pappas finds Elisha alone in the garden, what does he tell him?
5. What happens when Palestine learns of Trajan's edict that the Temple may be rebuilt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does one rabbi give the opinion that wisdom cannot be found in pagan literature?
2. Why did the merchant's business suffer after taking his case to the Roman courts?
3. Why does Pappas tell Elisha that he may move with him to Antioch?
4. Why are Akiba and the two Simeons uncomfortable talking to Elisha about Greek literature?
5. What do you think Abuyah means by his dying words to Elisha?
6. In the Prologue, what do the sages debate over and what do they decide?
7. How does Elisha respond to the death of Beruriah and Meir's children?
8. How does Elisha handle his new life in Antioch?
9. Why do Antiphanes and Elisha attend all the lectures and symposia offered in Antioch?
10. How does Shraga treat Elisha when they're working on the merchant's court case together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In As a Driven Leaf, Deborah and Elisha are betrothed according to Jewish tradition. What similarities is their marriage based on? Find other couples and marriages in the book. What similarities are their relationships based on? Compare and contrast at least two relationships. Support your examples with material from the book.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 10, Elisha's life seems to be improving. He has success and good friends and financial security. However, is Elisha truly happy? What would make Elisha happier? Does happiness lie in material possessions, or in something else? Cite three examples to support a workable definition of happiness that applies to the themes of As a Driven Leaf.
Essay Topic 3
After the ex-communication, Akiba randomly meets Elisha on the road. However, Akiba does not speak to Elisha because he is honoring the orders of the ex-communication. Is Akiba's behavior too drastic? Should the bonds of friendship be more important than the bonds of law? Cite three examples from the book when friendship and rules are at odds.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)