|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
2. What happened to the merchant's business after the court case?
3. Where does the plague strike?
4. What does Elisha say to the other rabbis after they witness a boy fall from a tree and die?
5. How does Elisha respond when Deborah is trying to renew her marriage with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job of the Sanhedrin?
2. What strikes Elisha as characteristic about the people of Antioch?
3. Why is Elisha unjustly brought to court for sentencing?
4. What does Nicholaus, Elisha's tutor, look like?
5. Do you think Shraga is right to rebel against the Roman government and fight for his beliefs?
6. How does Elisha respond to the death of Beruriah and Meir's children?
7. Why is Elisha fascinated by Akiba when he meets him?
8. What did Elisha drop in his Jewish academy class?
9. What do the two famous sages, Eliezer and Joshua, discuss at Elisha's circumcision ceremony?
10. In the Prologue, what do the sages debate over and what do they decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Manto is so casual about picking another human slave? Why is Elisha so disturbed by the process of human trade? Compare Manto's behavior with a similar behavior in American history. Draw conclusions about the nature of subjugating another human being and how this affects the human race.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the contrast between the decision of the people of Bethar and the decision of Elisha when faced with Roman persecution. Why did the people of Bethar choose to commit mass suicide? Who made the wiser choice, the people of Bethar or Elisha? Define wisdom according to the principles of Elisha and the town of Bethar.
Essay Topic 3
Elisha proposes to Manto because he loves her. However, Manto rejects Elisha's offer of marriage. Is Manto right to not leave her lifestyle for Elisha? Is Elisha being too selfish and asking too much of Manto, or do you think Manto's love isn't strong enough? Argue for or against Manto's decision. Support your argument with three solid reasons and use material from the text.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)