|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
2. Why is Tobias, Elisha's steward, furious with Pappas and Elisha for their conversation with the Romans?
3. What does Elisha say to the other rabbis after they witness a boy fall from a tree and die?
4. Who stands up against the leader of the rebels?
5. Does Abuyah consort with pagan philosophers and read Greek books?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Deborah is not comfortable around Meir and his wife Beruriah?
2. Why do Antiphanes and Elisha attend all the lectures and symposia offered in Antioch?
3. What is the job of the Sanhedrin?
4. Why does Pappas tell Elisha that he may move with him to Antioch?
5. After the ex-communication of Elisha was read at Sanhedrin, what did Joshua do?
6. Why is Elisha fascinated by Akiba when he meets him?
7. What does Nicholaus, Elisha's tutor, look like?
8. How does Simeon ben Azzai die?
9. Why does Julianus of Tarsus encourage the Jews to fight?
10. Why was Elisha and Deborah's marriage pre-arranged by Amram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Shraga and Elisha's characters. In what ways are they similar? How do they react to the Jewish tradition? Make sure to describe their mutual relationship and how this can illustrate their distinct similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Manto is so casual about picking another human slave? Why is Elisha so disturbed by the process of human trade? Compare Manto's behavior with a similar behavior in American history. Draw conclusions about the nature of subjugating another human being and how this affects the human race.
Essay Topic 3
The Jewish community is generally mistrustful of the Romans. When Shraga and Elisha are working on the court case for the merchant, what does the merchant decide to do, and why? Why did the merchant's business suffer when he took his case to the Roman court? Describe the relationship between the Jewish community and the individual. What pressures and responsibilities do the Jewish members have to their community?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)