|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being asked to make a speech to a class in an academy, what does Elisha tell the students?
2. Soon after Elisha's conversation, a rider comes into town with what news?
3. Why does Pappas go back to Israel?
4. When Elisha is going back to Nicholaus, what does he overhear his father say to Uncle Amram?
5. Where does Uncle Amram take Elisha to begin his training to become a rabbi and sage?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter XX, what advice does Nicholaus give to Elisha about Elisha's obsession with Greek literature?
2. Why was Elisha and Deborah's marriage pre-arranged by Amram?
3. In Part One, Chapter V, how did Elisha feel about attending the Sanhedrin for the first time?
4. What did Elisha drop in his Jewish academy class?
5. What do the two famous sages, Eliezer and Joshua, discuss at Elisha's circumcision ceremony?
6. Why does Elisha seek out the Christians and Gnostics?
7. Why do Antiphanes and Elisha attend all the lectures and symposia offered in Antioch?
8. In Part One, Chapter X, does Elisha seem happy? Why?
9. Do you think Shraga is right to rebel against the Roman government and fight for his beliefs?
10. Why is Manto so casual about buying another human slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Pappas's journey through faith. Compare and contrast Pappas's journey with Elisha's journey of faith. How do both characters view the concepts of faith and reason? Why does Pappas make his final decision to die as a Jew rather than betray his faith and community?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Shraga and Elisha's characters. In what ways are they similar? How do they react to the Jewish tradition? Make sure to describe their mutual relationship and how this can illustrate their distinct similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the contrast between the decision of the people of Bethar and the decision of Elisha when faced with Roman persecution. Why did the people of Bethar choose to commit mass suicide? Who made the wiser choice, the people of Bethar or Elisha? Define wisdom according to the principles of Elisha and the town of Bethar.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)