|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
5. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the definitions of what it means to be Irish between Davin and Stephen.
2. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
3. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
4. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
5. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
6. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
7. Describe the sixteen-year-old Stephen's confession.
8. What is the evidence of stress on the family's having to move again?
9. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
10. Classify Stephen as a university student.
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN. Discuss style, language, interest, ease of reading and understanding, and plot development. Whether you give the novel a positive or negative rating, state your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of bullying. The boy named Wells is a good example of student bullying. Father Dolan is an example of adult to child bullying. In your essay discuss the harmful effects of bullying on the victims and also the perpetrators.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your views of parochial education versus public school education. List in your essay the positives and negatives of each. End with your recommendations about education for young children.
This section contains 1,721 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)