|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
2. Who is Mike Flynn?
3. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
4. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
5. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginnings of the poet in Stephen.
2. How does Stephen view his friend, Davin?
3. What describes Stephen's deepening connection with literature?
4. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
5. What happens on Sundays in Blackrock?
6. Describe the conversation around the Christmas meal table.
7. Why does Stephen take a train trip with his father?
8. What are some of the specifics Stephen is troubled by from his past life?
9. What is Stephen's impression of Clongowes Wood College?
10. Explain something of the longing that Stephen feels even from an early age.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a mother's love. Start with Cranly's assessment of a mother's love and how his arguments affected Stephen. Your essay will either agree with Cranly or disagree and should include some examples to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
Essay Topic 3
Write a review of A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN. Discuss style, language, interest, ease of reading and understanding, and plot development. Whether you give the novel a positive or negative rating, state your reasons.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)