|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
2. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
3. What is a major theme of the book?
4. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
5. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
2. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
3. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
4. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
5. Draw a picture of how Stephen keeps returning to the brothel quarter.
6. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
7. Discuss briefly Stephen's inner conflict.
8. Describe the conversation around the Christmas meal table.
9. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
10. What does Stephen imagine about the girl named Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on following your dreams. What might have happened to Stephen if he abandoned his dream of becoming an artist? From that perspective, write your essay on the importance of pursuing a career path that is ultimately fulfilling.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on obsessions. At age sixteen, Stephen's obsession was sex. However, people become obsessed by many other thing--making money, playing video games, drinking and partying, just to name a few. In your essay discuss how people get caught up in certain obsessions and how they tend to put themselves in situations where they can satisfy those desires.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)