|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
2. Who is Mike Flynn?
3. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
4. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
5. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sights and sounds that accompany Stephen's walk to the university in the mornings?
2. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
3. Discuss briefly Stephen's longing for a loving embrace.
4. Relate the conversation Stephen overhears about runaway boys.
5. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
6. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
7. Contrast the definitions of what it means to be Irish between Davin and Stephen.
8. Describe the conflict in Stephen as he leaves the director's office.
9. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
10. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of imagination. It was Stephen's imagination in his early years, coupled with his love of language, that ultimately set his path toward becoming a writer. Discuss how youthful imagination leads others toward different goals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)