|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
2. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
3. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
4. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
5. What was Stephen's early song?
Short Essay Questions
1. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
2. Discuss briefly Stephen's longing for a loving embrace.
3. Explain how the priest introduces the subject of hell.
4. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
5. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
6. How does Stephen view his friend, Davin?
7. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
8. Draw a picture of how Stephen keeps returning to the brothel quarter.
9. Tell how Stephen begins to look at his country in a different way.
10. Relate the conversation Stephen overhears about runaway boys.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled, Imagery in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. In your essay, select one or two passages with some of Joyce's literary imagery and explain why these in particular appealed to you. Discuss how imagery in literature paints a mental picture for the reader.
This section contains 1,657 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)