|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
2. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
3. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
4. What was Stephen's early song?
5. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
2. What happens to pull Stephen out of his doubt and mistrust?
3. Discuss briefly Stephen's longing for a loving embrace.
4. How does Stephen try to help his family?
5. Explain how the sermons during the retreat affect Stephen.
6. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
7. What happens to Stephen after being pushed into a water-filled ditch on a cold day?
8. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
9. Draw a picture of how Stephen keeps returning to the brothel quarter.
10. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the importance of self-reliance. By contrast to Stephen, it was Cranly who was ultimately alone. In your essay explain how being self-reliant actually makes a person more attractive to others.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)