Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
5. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the definitions of what it means to be Irish between Davin and Stephen.
2. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
3. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
4. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
5. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
6. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
7. Describe the sixteen-year-old Stephen's confession.
8. What is the evidence of stress on the family's having to move again?
9. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
10. Classify Stephen as a university student.
Write an essay about dysfunctional families like Stephen's. In what ways were they dysfunctional? In your essay talk about finances, religious differences, and living conditions which contribute to the dysfunction of a family.
Write an essay on reversal of fortune. In your essay discuss ways people can cope with losing everything they own and starting over. Mention the difference between young people and older people when financial calamity occurs.
Write an essay about a mother's love. Start with Cranly's assessment of a mother's love and how his arguments affected Stephen. Your essay will either agree with Cranly or disagree and should include some examples to illustrate your point.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)