|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
5. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the definitions of what it means to be Irish between Davin and Stephen.
2. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
3. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
4. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
5. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
6. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
7. Describe the sixteen-year-old Stephen's confession.
8. What is the evidence of stress on the family's having to move again?
9. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
10. Classify Stephen as a university student.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the beauty of language. Take examples of some of Joyce's descriptive lines that paint a vivid mental image. Give your opinion as to whether using beautiful language is a lost art. Include in your essay what effect you think text messaging has had on language.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on following your dreams. What might have happened to Stephen if he abandoned his dream of becoming an artist? From that perspective, write your essay on the importance of pursuing a career path that is ultimately fulfilling.
This section contains 1,721 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)