|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
2. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
3. When does Stephen feel happy?
4. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
5. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stephen's new outlook on the love of God.
2. Identify the symbolic passage of Stephen into his self-directed life course.
3. What was in the verses Stephen wrote about the girl on the tram?
4. At the beginning of the novel, what does Stephen remember?
5. What happens to Stephen after being pushed into a water-filled ditch on a cold day?
6. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
7. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
8. Explain something of the longing that Stephen feels even from an early age.
9. Write down how Stephen hears hell described.
10. What happens on Sundays in Blackrock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)