|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
2. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
3. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
4. What is a major theme of the book?
5. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. Identify the disconnect between Stephen and his father.
2. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
3. Explain something of the longing that Stephen feels even from an early age.
4. At the beginning of the novel, what does Stephen remember?
5. Tell how Stephen begins to look at his country in a different way.
6. How does Stephen view his friend, Davin?
7. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
8. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
9. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
10. How does Stephen try to help his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on reversal of fortune. In your essay discuss ways people can cope with losing everything they own and starting over. Mention the difference between young people and older people when financial calamity occurs.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay stating your views of parochial education versus public school education. List in your essay the positives and negatives of each. End with your recommendations about education for young children.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about dysfunctional families like Stephen's. In what ways were they dysfunctional? In your essay talk about finances, religious differences, and living conditions which contribute to the dysfunction of a family.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)