|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
5. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the definitions of what it means to be Irish between Davin and Stephen.
2. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
3. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
4. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
5. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
6. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
7. Describe the sixteen-year-old Stephen's confession.
8. What is the evidence of stress on the family's having to move again?
9. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
10. Classify Stephen as a university student.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of imagination. It was Stephen's imagination in his early years, coupled with his love of language, that ultimately set his path toward becoming a writer. Discuss how youthful imagination leads others toward different goals.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the idea of love at first sight. Use Stephen's early encounter with the girl on the tram as a starting point. Express your opinion about the concept of love at first sight. Include an example from modern day experience.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
This section contains 1,721 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)