|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
2. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
3. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
4. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
5. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephen try to help his family?
2. How does Stephen define art to Lynch?
3. Describe the philosophical conversation that Stephen has with the dean of studies.
4. Identify the disconnect between Stephen and his father.
5. Describe Stephen's weekdays in Blackrock.
6. Describe Stephen's new outlook on the love of God.
7. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
8. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
9. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
10. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled, Imagery in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. In your essay, select one or two passages with some of Joyce's literary imagery and explain why these in particular appealed to you. Discuss how imagery in literature paints a mental picture for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled, "Why James Joyce is Still Cool." This essay will center around the idea that Joyce's works are as relevant today as they were when they were written. It will also include his fresh approach to writing that makes the reader not want to put the book down. Some mention should also be included about the characters in his novels and what makes them cool as well.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of self-reliance. By contrast to Stephen, it was Cranly who was ultimately alone. In your essay explain how being self-reliant actually makes a person more attractive to others.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)