|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
2. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
3. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
4. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
5. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail the paradox of Stephen's past and present in regard to the church.
2. What are some of the specifics Stephen is troubled by from his past life?
3. What happens on Sundays in Blackrock?
4. Describe the beginnings of the poet in Stephen.
5. Tell how Stephen begins to look at his country in a different way.
6. Classify Stephen as a university student.
7. How does Stephen try to help his family?
8. Identify the disconnect between Stephen and his father.
9. Relate the conversation Stephen overhears about runaway boys.
10. Write down how Stephen hears hell described.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on your opinion regarding corporal punishment in schools. Use the examples of the pandybat and the flogging of the runaways from the novel. Explain how effective you think corporal punishment is or is not. Give your opinion as to whether it should be banned in schools.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of bullying. The boy named Wells is a good example of student bullying. Father Dolan is an example of adult to child bullying. In your essay discuss the harmful effects of bullying on the victims and also the perpetrators.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on reversal of fortune. In your essay discuss ways people can cope with losing everything they own and starting over. Mention the difference between young people and older people when financial calamity occurs.
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)