|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
2. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
3. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
4. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
5. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
2. Identify the disconnect between Stephen and his father.
3. Explain something of the longing that Stephen feels even from an early age.
4. Draw a picture of how Stephen keeps returning to the brothel quarter.
5. Identify the symbolic passage of Stephen into his self-directed life course.
6. Describe the philosophical conversation that Stephen has with the dean of studies.
7. What are some of the specifics Stephen is troubled by from his past life?
8. Classify Stephen as a university student.
9. Explain how the priest introduces the subject of hell.
10. What happens to Stephen after being pushed into a water-filled ditch on a cold day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on following your dreams. What might have happened to Stephen if he abandoned his dream of becoming an artist? From that perspective, write your essay on the importance of pursuing a career path that is ultimately fulfilling.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of self-reliance. By contrast to Stephen, it was Cranly who was ultimately alone. In your essay explain how being self-reliant actually makes a person more attractive to others.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)