|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
2. What was Stephen's early song?
3. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
4. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
5. When does Stephen feel happy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
2. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
3. Describe Stephen's weekdays in Blackrock.
4. What is the reaction of the students after Stephen goes to see the rector?
5. Explain something of the longing that Stephen feels even from an early age.
6. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
7. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
8. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
9. Describe the conversation around the Christmas meal table.
10. How does Stephen try to help his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a mother's love. Start with Cranly's assessment of a mother's love and how his arguments affected Stephen. Your essay will either agree with Cranly or disagree and should include some examples to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on reversal of fortune. In your essay discuss ways people can cope with losing everything they own and starting over. Mention the difference between young people and older people when financial calamity occurs.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)