|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mike Flynn?
2. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
3. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
4. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
5. What was Stephen's early song?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conflict in Stephen as he leaves the director's office.
2. Explain how the sermons during the retreat affect Stephen.
3. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
4. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
5. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
6. What does Stephen imagine about the girl named Emma?
7. Discuss briefly Stephen's inner conflict.
8. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
9. Describe the unjust punishment Father Dolan gives Stephen.
10. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of bullying. The boy named Wells is a good example of student bullying. Father Dolan is an example of adult to child bullying. In your essay discuss the harmful effects of bullying on the victims and also the perpetrators.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idea of love at first sight. Use Stephen's early encounter with the girl on the tram as a starting point. Express your opinion about the concept of love at first sight. Include an example from modern day experience.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)