|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
2. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
3. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
4. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
5. What was Stephen's early song?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the subject of the retreat and what do they cause Stephen to think about?
2. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
3. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
4. Explain the inconsistency of Stephens' devotion to his mother and his plans for his own future.
5. Draw a picture of how Stephen keeps returning to the brothel quarter.
6. What are some of the specifics Stephen is troubled by from his past life?
7. How does Stephen view his friend, Davin?
8. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
9. What is Stephen's impression of Clongowes Wood College?
10. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled, Imagery in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. In your essay, select one or two passages with some of Joyce's literary imagery and explain why these in particular appealed to you. Discuss how imagery in literature paints a mental picture for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
Essay Topic 3
Write a review of A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN. Discuss style, language, interest, ease of reading and understanding, and plot development. Whether you give the novel a positive or negative rating, state your reasons.
This section contains 1,712 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)