|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
2. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
3. What is the literary method used in the novel?
4. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
5. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
2. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
3. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
4. Describe Stephen's new outlook on the love of God.
5. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
6. What happens on Sundays in Blackrock?
7. Discuss briefly Stephen's inner conflict.
8. Describe the conflict in Stephen as he leaves the director's office.
9. Show how Stephen begins to weaken in his devotion to God.
10. What does Stephen imagine about the girl named Emma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the beauty of language. Take examples of some of Joyce's descriptive lines that paint a vivid mental image. Give your opinion as to whether using beautiful language is a lost art. Include in your essay what effect you think text messaging has had on language.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the subject of bullying. The boy named Wells is a good example of student bullying. Father Dolan is an example of adult to child bullying. In your essay discuss the harmful effects of bullying on the victims and also the perpetrators.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on decision making. The symbolism of Stephen's pacing back and forth between the chapel and Byron's pub is his crossroads decision to return to the church and become a priest or give in to his desire to become an artist. In your essay discuss both the rational and emotional elements involved in decision making process.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)