|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
2. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
3. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
4. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
5. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the priest introduces the subject of hell.
2. What is the reaction of the students after Stephen goes to see the rector?
3. Write down how Stephen hears hell described.
4. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
5. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
6. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
7. Having freed himself from religion, how does Stephen see himself?
8. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
9. What are the subject of the retreat and what do they cause Stephen to think about?
10. Describe the conversation around the Christmas meal table.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN. Discuss style, language, interest, ease of reading and understanding, and plot development. Whether you give the novel a positive or negative rating, state your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your views of parochial education versus public school education. List in your essay the positives and negatives of each. End with your recommendations about education for young children.
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)