|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
2. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
3. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
4. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
5. What was Stephen's early song?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sights and sounds that accompany Stephen's walk to the university in the mornings?
2. Describe the unjust punishment Father Dolan gives Stephen.
3. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
4. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
5. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
6. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
7. How does Father Arnall explain the purpose of the retreat?
8. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
9. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
10. What is Stephen's impression of Clongowes Wood College?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the idea of love at first sight. Use Stephen's early encounter with the girl on the tram as a starting point. Express your opinion about the concept of love at first sight. Include an example from modern day experience.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about dysfunctional families like Stephen's. In what ways were they dysfunctional? In your essay talk about finances, religious differences, and living conditions which contribute to the dysfunction of a family.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)